Sort file:- Dover, July, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 31 July, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1865

(Name from)

Coach and Horses

Latest 1913

1 Tower Hamlets Street


Coach and Horses

Above photo shows the position of 1 Tower Hamlets Street 6 Oct 2007. This is obviously a new set of buildings and not the original. Photo below shows the extent to which the new buildings have been rebuilt. Photos by Paul Skelton.

Tower Hamlets Street 2007


An outlet of Ash and Company and fully licensed, the site was occupied in 1848 by another pub called "Paul Pry". The sign changed whilst the Gann family were in residence, probably between 1865 and 1867.


An open and shut existence prevailed here in the last century and it closed for the last time in 1913. Ash and Company received 165 compensation and William Kennett the tenant 10.


Another with this sign traded from Clarence Place, then Crane Street and that later became the "Cinque Ports Arms". (Henry Jell 1791 and Atkins 1805).


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 25 January, 1867.


Richard Gunn, was charged with breaking 13 panes of glass, the property of James Gann, and assaulting him, and also with assaulting the police in the execution of their duty.

James Gann said he kept the "Coach and Horses" public-house, at Tower Hamlets. On the previous evening the defendant, who was in his employ, came home drunk at about half-past five o'clock. He put his horses in the stables, and threw the harness upon the ground. Mr. Newing, who looked after witnesses' horses, said "You're tipsy; go home, and I'll look to your horses for you." Defendant declined to go but before he had had a "b_____ row." The defendant then came into the house, and had half-a-pint of beer, with which complainant's wife served him. Witness thought he was gone home. After drinking the first half pint of beer he called for another, but on its being brought to him he broke the pot, and called his (complainant's) wife foal names. Witness thereupon turned him out of the house, and defendant then fell to breaking the window. He broke thirteen windows, the cost of repairing which was 6s. 6d. The defendant kicked at witnesses child and assaulted him and all the other persons in the house. He was in a state of frenzied intoxication.

The defendant had no questions to ask the complainant.

Police-constable Henry Frederick Birch said he was called upon to take prisoner into custody on the previous evening, for the wilful damage and the assault on the complainant. He went quietly in custody from the "Coach and Horses" as far as the "Eagle" corner. He then wanted witness to release him, in order that he might get a pint of beer. (A laugh.) Witness told him he could not allow him to do that, but must take him to the station house. The prisoner then resisted him, and a scuffle ensued, in the course of which witness fell with the prisoner several times. The prisoner struck him in the mouth, and loosened four of his teeth, and tried to choke him off, both his hands being round his collar. He also tried to bite him and to get him underneath the wheels of a cart which was passing. In the course of the scuffle he got away from witness and made his escape. Witness, however, traced him, and with the assistance of some other constables took him into custody. The conduct of the prisoner was more like a madman's than anything else. It required four constables to convey him to the station house.

The Magistrates considered they were bound to mark their sense of this violence. The defendant would be fined on the charge of wilful damage, 5s., the value of the glass 6s. 6d., and the costs 7s. 6d. In default, seven days' imprisonment. For the assault on the constable, he would be fined 20s., and 6s. costs. In default, fourteen days' imprisonment.

The defendant paid the money.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 12 November, 1869.


William Baker, was charged on the information of Police-sergeant Stevens with having sold liquor during prohibited hours on Sunday, the 7th November.

The defendant pleaded guilty.

Police-sergeant Stevens said about nine o'clock on Sunday, the 7th inst., he visited the “Coach and Horses,” Tower Hamlets, kept by the defendant. He saw two men one of which was smoking at the bar, and a quart jug and two glasses were placed near. The landlady was present, and admitted serving them, but said she had given the liquor to them. Both men lived in the neighbourhood.

The Magistrates fined the defendant 2s. 6d., and the costs 9s. 6d.; which was paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 15 March, 1872. Price 1d.


A very sudden death occurred at Tower Hamlets on Saturday evening last. A man named Harvey, a milkman, very soon after eating his supper, fell out of his chair to the ground. Medical aid was procured; but life was pronounced to be extinct.

The borough Coroner, W. H. Payne, Esq., held an inquest on Monday afternoon, at the "Coach and Horses" public-house, Tower Hamlets, on the body of the unfortunate man. Mr. Henry Eastman was elected foreman of the jury; and, when the body had been viewed, the Coroner took the following depositions:-

John Harvey deposed: I am a son of the deceased. I assisted my father in his business, and reside in Tower Hamlets. He was fifty years of age. He had complained of pains in the head some time before his death, though otherwise his health has been very good. He was not a very sober man. He died suddenly on Saturday night last, without previously complaining of any illness. He had his supper about nine o'clock. I was present at the time. I don't think he drank anything; but I saw him eat six or seven mussels. He did not say where he had got them from. They were black mussels. No one else ate any of the mussels. Soon after the deceased had finished his supper he wanted to go out to get a glass of beer; but I endeavoured to persuade him not to go, and wanted him to go to bed. He would not go, however, and threw himself back in his chair, supporting his head by placing his elbow on one of the arms of the chair. He often sat in this position for hours together. I afterwards had my supper; and my father still remaining in the same position I went out to get a glass of porter. While I was at the public-house my sister came to call me, telling me that my father had fallen out of his chair. I went home with her, and found him lying on the ground snoring. When I got in, he got up off the floor and sat down in his chair again, I thought he was all right then, so I went up stairs to bed, telling my sister to call me if my father made any more noise. I had not been in my bedroom more than five minutes, when my sister called me again, and I went down immediately. The deceased was then sitting in his chair as I had left him, but he had ceased snoring. After sitting by him some few minutes, I became alarmed at the appearance, and thought I had better get medical advice. I therefore sent for Mr. Walter. He soon came, and having ordered deceased to be laid on the ground, remained in the house from half-past ten till half-past twelve, when he pronounced the deceased to be dead. I think my father had been drinking during the evening.

By the Coroner: I had brought home some scallops for our supper; but he did not eat any.

Clement Walter deposed: I am a surgeon residing and practising in Dover. On Saturday evening I was called to Tower Hamlets to see the deceased, Henry Harvey. When I arrived at his house I found him in the position described by the last witness. He was then senseless, and to all appearances dead. There was nothing in his appearance indicating that he had died of any particular disease, and I must decline to give any opinion as to the cause of his death.

After some deliberation on the evidence of Mr. Walter, the jury considered a post mortem examination necessary, and in order to give Mr. Walter an opportunity of making one, the enquiry was adjourned for a few hours.

The jour having re-assembled at eight o'clock, Mr. Walter gave the following additional evidence.

I have made a post mortem examination, and have found all the organs of the deceased's body very much diseased. The heart and its valves were particularly unhealthy. I think there can be no doubt that the deceased died from disease of the heart, accelerated by distension of the stomach, this causing pressure upon the heart and thereby inducing fatal syncope. The deceased's stomach was very much overloaded, and, judging from the state in which I found the body, the deceased was liable to death at any moment from any exciting cause.

The Coroner briefly summed up, and the jury returned a verdict, "That the deceased died from disease of the heart, brought on through natural causes."


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 5 September, 1873.


The license of the “Coach and Horses,” Tower hamlets, was transferred to Thomas Matcham, a fruiterer, the applicant promising that his wife, who was 32 years of age, would attend the business in his absence.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 21 May, 1875. Price 1d.


An inquest was held on Thursday before the Borough Coroner (W. H. Payn, Esq.,) at the “Coach and Horses” public-house, Tower Hamlets, upon the body of Jeremiah Scott, belonging to Dover, who was found drowned in a well. Mr. Charles Beeching was chosen foreman of the Jury.

Mingaye Bean, brickmaker, residing at Charlton, said: I am in the employ of Mr. Nightingarl and Bushell. The deceased is my cousin, and lived with my father at Charlton. I have known him many years, his health was generally good, but he was of intemperate habits. I last saw him alive on Monday night at Tower Hamlets. He appeared to be all right then. On Wednesday morning I was loading some bricks in Mr. Nightingarl's brickfield, and I saw a hat and a pair of shoes near the well. I knew the hat belonged to the deceased. I went to the well-house and saw the well-handle all out of its place. Thinking he was down the well I came and made enquiries about him. Mr. Bushell told me to get a grapple and see if I could find him. I went and grappled and hooked deceased directly. When he was brought up to the top he was quite dead. A doctor was sent for, but life was extinct when he came. I never heard him threaten to commit suicide. I think he went in the well-house to lay down. The mouth of the well is not covered over, but the well-shed is generally shut up when the men are not at work. The well is 115 feet deep, and there are two buckets used.

David Coob, a boy about 12 years of age, said he was in the brickfield on Tuesday morning about 8 o'clock, and saw a hat and a pair of shoes lying near the well. He took them to a man named Champkins, and he told him to throw them away as they were no good to him, and said very likely someone is down the well. He took the shoes away, and went home and spoke to his mother about it.

Isaac Champkin, labourer, said: I have been working in the brickfield two or three days lately. On Tuesday morning about half-past eight I was near the well-house, when a boy came along and called my attention to a pair of shoes and a cap he had seen in the well-house. I told him to bring them to me to look at, seeing they were of no use I told him to throw them away. I am certain I did not say they might belong to somebody in the well. I thought someone had shifted the shoes and left them there.

Clement Walter, surgeon, practising in Dover, said: On Wednesday morning I was called to see the body of deceased. I examined him and found a fracture of the right thigh. Death was most probably caused by drowning. The injury most likely proceeded from the fall down the well.

An open verdict, that the deceased was found drowned in a well, but there was no evidence to show how he came there, was returned.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 29 August, 1890.


The landlady of the “Coach and Horses,” Mrs. Maxted was called up.

Sir Richard Dickeson said it was recorded that she had been convicted of having the house open during illegal hours, and refusing to admit the police. It was his duty to seriously caution her, because if the offence were repeated, the license might be taken away. He was informed by the Superintendent of Police, that since that conviction the house had been properly conducted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 27 March, 1891. Price 5d.


Mr. Spain applied, on behalf of Mr. F. Flood for, permission to draw at the "Coach and Horses," the outgoing tenant being Mrs. Quested.

The application was granted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 10 March, 1905. Price 1d.


An application was made for the transfer of the license of the “Coach and Horses,” Tower Hamlets, from John Lawler to William Ward, now residing with his son at the “Bricklayer's Arms,” Shepherdswell, and the Clerk asked how it was that the transfer was asked for, although the last change had taken place within six months, the Magistrates rule being not to grant a transfer except after nine months?

Applicant presented a certificate from Dr. Baird that his wife was suffering from meningitis, and that it would be prejudicial to her health.

The Clerk said that the certificate was a month old.

The Chairman said that the matter should be properly represented by a lawyer, and not in the off-hand way it had been.

Inspector Fox said that the Police had not received the assistance they ought to have received from the brewer's agent. They were informed that the applicant had previously the license of the “Old Endeavour,” Buckland, but it appears that since that date, which was five years ago, he had held a license at Sandwich and that of the “Black Horse” at Swingfield, which he left in January, 1902, when the brewers gave him notice because proceedings were instituted against him though unsuccessful.

The Chairman said the matter would be postponed until the application was made in proper form. He hed then better get his solicitor to take notice of what the Police had complained of.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 21 April, 1905. Price 1d.


Mr. R. Mowll applied for permission to transfer the licence of the "Coach and Horses, Tower Hamlets, from Mr. Lawler to Mr. G. Finnis. The tenant had only been in the house since the 13th of September, but the health of his wife had necessitated her leaving the house and going to Bradford, and Mr. Lawler wished therefore to go to her there. Dr. Baird, who was called, said that Mrs. Lawler would have died if she had not been sent away for a change. She was suffering from meningitis.

The Magistrates granted the application.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 18 December, 1908.


Mr. Bruce Payne, representing  W. J. Kennett, who was summoned for rates in respect of the "Coach ad Horses" public house, contended that as over six months had elapsed since the demand was made the Magistrates had no jurisdiction, and the debt was a civil one recoverable only in the County Court. He produced a demand note served on August 4th to the previous licensee of the house, and made out in his name. The rate had not been served on Kennett, but he believed was simply left in the house, which was not a proper service.

Mr. Leigh, rate collector, said the amount was a proportion of the rate due on the public house, and a proportion for stabling at Tower Street.

The Chairman pointed out that it was the usual custom for the agents to allow for the proportion of the rates in the valuation; probably that course had followed in this case.

Mr. Bailey, assistant rate collector, on oath, said that he served a demand on defendant on August 26th. Defendant refused to take it, so he placed it on the bar in his presence. He produced the rate book with a counterfoil giving particulars of date of the service.

The Chairman said the Bench were satisfied that the rate had been properly served on August 4th, less than six months ago, and an order would therefore be made for payment forthwith.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 11 June, 1909.



At the Dover Police Court on Friday, before the Mayor (WalterEmde, Esq.) M. Pepper, J. R. Bradley, G. C. Rubie, T. A. Terson, F. G. Wright, J. Scott, F. W. Prescott, W. Bradley, E. Chitty, J. H. Back, and W. J. Barnes, Esqrs.

William John Kennett, landlord of the "Coach and Horses," Tower Hamlets, was summoned by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for working a horse in an unfit condition. Henry Sindon was charged with working the same.

The defendant pleaded not guilty and Mr. Bruce Payne defended.

Inspector Adams, R.S.P.C.A., said that on Wednesday, May 26th, about 10.45 a.m. He went into Priory Street and saw the defendant Sindon in charge of an old bay stallion, lying on the ground, having fallen down in the cart, on which were two barrels of beer. It was old, in a weak state, emancipated, and the muscles of the hind quarters wasted. It was so weak that it would not get up. Six men had to lift it up. They had to lift it up twice, and when it tried to walk away it staggered. He would not Sindon put it in the cart. The horse was quite unfit for work. The defendant admitted having been warned not to work the horse. He said his master was at the bottom of Castle Hill to help him pull it up the hill. He saw Kennett near St. James's Street, and he said that he would have it done away with that afternoon. Witness expressed surprise that he had not already done so.

Cross-examined he did not notice its shoes. The road was tarred but not slippery. He though that there was bodily pain. He noticed no spasms. Its coat was in good condition.

Police-constable Fogg said that he saw the horse on the ground. It was in a very weak state, and staggered about when walking away. He should say it would be cruel to work it. Sindon, in the presence of Kennett, said that he had received orders from Kennett to work the horse.

Mr. Hoile, veterinary surgeon, said that he saw the horse on Wednesday morning about 11 o'clock in Priory Street. It was then in Ayres' forge. It was very old and weak and not fit for anything. It staggered about. He had told Kennett two months ago to get rid of the horse. It did not seem in any pain.

Mr. Payne said that the horse slipped on the tarred road. The horse was taken home and destroyed. Kennett did not know the horse was out. He had always looked after horses, and was very kind to them. The horse was well fed. There was no cruelty to work it as it was not in pain, and he contended that it therefore was not an offence.

The defendant Sindon said that he took the horse out at ten minutes to six. The first work was to take the two barrels. In coming down Priory Street, the horse slipped on the tar and fell. He did not intend to use it further.

The Mayor: What would induce you to do that? - I thought he had hurt his leg. There were horses walking about Dover poorer than he was.

Cross-examined by the inspector: The horse fell in March and lay in the road a hour and twenty minutes. He received a warning not to use it and he did not do so till that Saturday. His master did not tell him what horse to take the previous night.

The defendant Kennett said that he gave no orders for it to go out. Mr. Hoile told him to use it lightly and get rid of it as soon as possible. He intended to do that. After the horse was destroyed it was found that the lungs were dried up. He had always been kind to his horses. He had been convicted of cruelty, but that was 18 years ago, and he had only just received the horse.

The defendant Kennett asked the Inspector why he did not stop the horse when he saw it the previous day.

The Mayor said he could not allow the defendant to ask that question.

The Mayor said that the Bench were not satisfied that Sindon had told the truth. He could not too often warn witnesses that even if they found the case go against them they had better tell the truth. This was a parcel of stories that no one would believe.

He would be fined 1, including costs, 12/6, or in default 14 days.

In regard to Kennett, they considered that he was responsible for the working of the horse, and under these circumstances he would be fined 3, including costs, or in default 6 weeks.

Kennett applied for time as he would have to pay the other poor fellows fine. He was granted till the end of the month.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 11 June, 1909.



At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before the Mayor (W. Emden, Esq.,) and L.J. Bradley Esq. William John Kennett, of the Coach and Horses, Tower Hamlets, was summoned by Inspector Adams of the R.S.P.C.A., for cruelty to a horse by causing it to be worked when suffering from lameness, it being in an unfit condition. John Sindon was summoned for working the horse.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty.

Mr. R. Mowll appeared to defend.

Inspector Adams, R.S.P.C.A., said: On Saturday, February 26th, about 2.50 in the afternoon, I was in Northampton Street, and saw the defendant Sindon in charge of a black gelding that was attached to a coal cart loaded. I noticed that the animal was in a poor and weak state, and rolled and staggered about in the shafts and was lame in the forelegs, the near one especially. I requested Sindon to stop. I examined the horse and found it old, poor, and crippled in its fore legs. There was heat in the near one, and the horse was resting it at the time. I said to Sindon, "You must see that it is not fit to work." He said, "If you will tell me to take it out I will, and take it home." It was taken out, and it had enough to do to walk away. I had spoken to him about it before. It was perhaps six weeks before, at the Priory Station. I also spoke to him about it when drawing flour to Mr. Chitty's Mill. About 4 o'clock, with Police-constable Vincent, I went to the "Coach and Horses," kept by the defendant Kennett. Mr. Toope, the veterinary surgeon, was there. He had been called by the defendant to see the horse. Kennett brought the horse out to show Mr. Toope. Mr. Toope said, "What were you doing with this horse?" He said, "I sent it down to draw coals from the ship this morning." Mr. Toope said, "What do you complain about, Mr. Inspector?" I said, "I complain of the horse being at work in an unfit condition, and it cannot do the work." Mr. Toope then said, "I will say you are not guilty this time, but never you let the horse go to work any more; it is not fit to work; otherwise you must not send for me." I pointed out to Mr. Toope that Kennett had been cautioned several times .I walked away with Mr. Toope, and returning said to Kennett, "I shall have to report you for working the horse, especially after what Mr. Toope said." Kennett said, "I hope you will not; I shall not use it again." I said, "Yes, you have told me that so many times." I had seen Kennett several times previously about the horse. Kennett replied, " I will promise you faithfully I will not work it again." I said, "I know Mr. Hoile told you a week ago not to work the horse." He replied, "Mr. Hoile said I was not to overload it. On the 1st March I saw Mr. Kennett, and asked him what horse he had to work that morning. He said, "The bay horse." I said, "You had the black one at work." He said, "No."

The Magistrates Clerk pointed out that this was another offence.

Mr. Mowll said tat he would not object to it being gone into.

Witness (continuing): "Do you say that the black one was not at work this morning at the Priory?" He said, "I had it to draw some empties down to the Priory; that is all I did with it." I called Mr. Hoile to see the horse. I cautioned Kennett in October and again in December.

Mr. Mowll said that his client was summoned for using a horse when lame. That he denied. It was said that it was physically unfit to work. As to that he was prepared to say that the work the horse was doing it ought not to be doing. That very nearly admitted the offence, but what he wanted to show was that it was not as bad as the Inspector had put it.

In reply to Mr. Mowll, witness said that he did not remember Mr. Toope saying that the defendant must not work the horse any more except on the land.

Police-constable Vincent said that on Saturday, the 26th, at 2.50, he was in company with Inspector Adams in Northampton Street, and saw Sindon with the black horse. The horse was poor and lame in the fore feet. He afterwards was present at Kennett's, and heard nothing about the horse being fit for use on the land.

Police-constable Smithen said that on March 1st or 2nd he saw the horse in question attached to a four-wheeled trolley laden with barrels and empty beer bottles in crates, coming down High Street in charge of Sindon. He was very stiff in the fore legs, but he should not have stopped it.

Cross-examined. I cannot particularly remember the date, but I knew it had been stopped on the Saturday, and that drew my attention to it.

Mr. Mowll: There is all the difference in the world between stiffness and lameness.

The Mayor: Yes, does your client think it worth while to continue?

Mr. Mowll: I should like to have Mr. Hoile called, as I shall have to pay his expenses when I am fined.Mr. Hoile said that he saw the horse on the 15th March. It was poor, old and lame on both fore legs, especially the near leg, evidently caused by contracted muscle of the fore leg.

The Mayor: Would the horse have been suitable to work the land? - I should not think so.

I consider to have worked it in the state I say it was cruel. I told Kennett a week previously that if he did not get the horse off the road there would be trouble.

Cross-examined: I told him because it was getting worse. I did not tell Kennett if there was a case I had better appear for him. I did not tell him I did not consider it cruel then. I went up to the "Coach and Horses" on Friday. It was a voluntary call, and I advised him to have the horse killed.

Was it your view that on he horse being destroyed nothing much more need be said about the case? - I said in my opinion the horse was not fit for work.

It seems to be a most extraordinary thing to have done. On the Friday afternoon of the day on which the case was to have been brought here you call on the defendant and suggest that the horse be destroyed? - I did it out of friendship for Kennett.

Was not the real reason to dispose of the case because of the opinion you previously gave Kennett that it was not cruel to work the horse? - No such thing.

The Mayor: He said he did it as an act of friendship.

Mr. Mowll remarked that it was indiscrete. He had the horse for the Bench to look at, because these cases were so often a mass of exaggeration. He knew the Bench were against him, and knew the reason.

The Mayor said that they were most desirous as seeing things fairly dealt with, but it appeared to them that so far the evidence had not broken down in any way.

Mr. Mowll: I have got in mind the little hint the Bench gave me.

Mr. Bradley: I will sit here till 1 o'clock and here what you have to say. It is not right to say the Bench had made up their minds.

Mr. Mowll: I never said so.

Mr. Bradley: You say the Bench are against you.

Mr. Mowll: You must give me a little credit for seeing that the Bench are against me. In this case I am going to save your time and mine and the defendant's, as the sooner this case is finished the sooner he will be able to go and earn the money he will have to pay. (Laughter.)

Mr. Mowll then called Mr. Toope.

Mr. Toope, veterinary surgeon practising in Dover, said that he examined the gelding on Saturday, February 26th. He examined it in the presence of the Inspector and the constable. The horse was scarcely perceptibly lame. What lameness there was was due to contracted tendons, and painless. It would not be perceptible except when the animal was trotted. It was in a somewhat poor condition, and physically unfit for hard work. I told Kennett that it was fit for slow work on land. I told the inspector this, and afterwards, in reply to a question, told him that I thought it was a case that would be satisfied with a headquarters admonition.

The Mayor: It would be just as well to leave it to the Magistrates to decide whether an admonition is sufficient.

The witness: Surely I am entitled to an opinion on the matter?

The Magistrate's Clerk: The admonition was to be from the head office.

In reply to the Mayor. Police-constable Vincent said that when he saw the horse it was walking, and he could see it was lame.

Mr. Mowll pointed out that Police-constable Smithen two days afterwards said he should not have stopped the horse for lameness.

After Mr. Mowll had addressed the Bench, pointing out that the horse had been constantly used until it was now in the sere and yellow leaf, and that the defendant, to whom a horse was a valuable asset, would have to suffer severely by having the horse destroyed, urged that it was not a serious case.

The Mayor said that there was a difference of opinion between the two veterinary surgeons, and they took the opinion of the prosecution. On reference to the register, he found that the defendant had been there four times before.

The Magistrates' Clerk: Not for cruelty.

The Mayor said that was so; twice for not having a dog licence, and twice for cruelty to animals. There was such a thing as being sent to prison for cruelty. He would be fined 3 3s. including costs. Sindon would be fined 10s. including costs.

Kennett, who said that he would pay both fines, asked for time.

The Mayor said that the instructions Kennett had given his representative might have been more open. He would allow a fortnight to pay.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 7 February, 1913. Price 1d.


One of the firm of Messrs. Ash and Co., the owners, appeared to represent them.

The Chief Constable said that the “Coach and Horses” was a fully licensed house in Tower Hamlets Street. The owners were Messrs. Ash and Co., Canterbury. The present tenant was W. Kennett, the licence having been transferred to him on June 5th, 1908. It changed hands in 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905 and 1907. the rateable value was 20 gross, and 15 nett. The licensed houses in the immediate neighbourhood were the “Carrier's Arms,” West Street (56 yards); the “Dewdrop,” Tower Hamlets Street (104 yards), the “Tower Inn,” Tower Hamlets Street (109 yards). There were eight licensed premises over the bridge in the Tower Hamlets area besides this house.

In reply to Messrs. Ash and Co., the Chief Constable said that a room, used as a spare room, he believed was used as a tap-room occasionally. There was nothing against the tenant.

Chief Inspector Lockwood said that he served the notice on January 23rd. On January 22nd he visited the house at 2.35 p.m., and found no customers; on the 23rd January, at 10 a.m., and found no customers; and again at 9.20 a.m. on the 27th January; on the 29th January, at 7.15 p.m. he found one customer; at 5.50 p.m. on the 30th January, two customers; and no customers at 8.45 p.m. on the 31st January.

Mr. Kennett, the landlord, said that there were plenty of empty glasses on the last occasion. He wished that the Inspector were two minutes earlier, and then he could have cleared up the mess (laughter).

Chief Inspector Lockwood: I am sorry I did not come (laughter).

The representatives of Messrs. Ash and Co., who were present said that although the trade was not very great, at least one-third of it was done in crates, for the convenience of the neighbourhood. They only held two licenses in Dover, and if they took this one away, only one would be left. He hoped the Magistrates would renew the licence.

The Chairman said that they were afraid they could not. It would have to go to Canterbury.


Dover Express 13th September 1946.

Town, Port & Garrison.

The death occurred at Peckham, London SE 15 on August 22nd of ex Sergt. Maj J. O’Keefe, formerly one of the Dover National Reservists. He has been interred in Forest Hill Cemetery. Mr. O’Keefe, who was 79 years of age, served throughout the South African War and was in the siege of Ladysmith. His wife was the fifth daughter of the late Mr. W. Flood of the “Coach and Horses”.


From an email received 9 July 2011.

Kennett family 1895

Picture kindly sent by Benjamin Twist who says:-

Dear Sir,

I was searching for a pub in Tower Hamlets Street near the square I think it was called the "Coach & Horse's", my Grandmother's brother by the name of Fletcher was the licensee. I would like to know round about the year. If you can help thank you very much.

Ben Twist.


I couldn't find a Fletcher in my list, but did find a Fulcher, but names were often misspelt in the directories. Ben says further:-

Whilst reading the court case of the "Coach & Horse's" the name William Kennett, that was my grandmothers maiden name, so it could be my grandfathers brother.

Ben Twist.


From the Dover Express 21 July 1989.

Flats for garage site.

A THREE-storey block of eight one-bedroom flats is planned for Tower Hamlets, Dover.

Dawes Development Ltd is seeking planning approval to demolish buildings at 1 and 2 Tower Hamlets Street in order to construct the eight self-contained flats.

They say the property was last used as a commercial garage.

The site is at the junction of Tower Hamlets Street, Ethelbert Road and West Street.




GANN James 1867+ Dover Express

BAKER William 1869

Last pub licensee had BROWNING Moses 1869

MATCHAM Theodore (Thomas) Sept/1873-May/76 Post Office Directory 1874Dover Express

GOLDFINCH Walter Pascall May/1876-81+ (age 27 in 1881Census) Dover Express

EVERSFIELD Mr William Oct/1887-Jan/1889 Dover Express

ROBERTS John Thomas Jan/1889+ Dover Express

MILLINGTON John Thomas 1889

MAXTED Mrs 1890

QUESTED Mrs Eliza Mary 1890-Mar/91 Dover Express

FLOOD William Next pub licensee had Mar/1891-98 Dover Express

GREEN Francis 1898-99 (beer retailerKelly's Directory 1899)

MARTIN Sarah 1901+ (widow age 61 in 1901Census)

HUBBARD Stephen R (listed as general carrier age 37 in 1901Census)

FULCHER J 1901-03 Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

MASTERS Mr W or Mrs Sarah Dec/1903 Dover Express

MATTHEWS Mr Dec/1903+ Dover Express (Of Southall)

MULLINS Matthew 1903-Sept/04 Dover Express

LAWLER John 13/Sept/1904-Apr/05 Dover Express (Former licensee of beer-house in Bradford.)

FINNIS George Apr/1905-07 end Dover Express (Late of St. Lawrence, beer house keeper.)

BAILEY Walter John 1907-08 end

KENNETT William Joseph 1909-13 (also carrier age 49 in 1911Census) Pikes 1909Post Office Directory 1913


Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1909From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1909

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-