Sort file:- Folkestone, June, 2023.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 20 June, 2023.


Earliest 1845

Crown and Anchor

Latest 1880

(Name to)

57 Dover Street

63 Dover Street



Opened in 1845, the name changed in 1880 to the "Granville Inn."


Maidstone Gazette 5 March 1850

Petty Sessions, Monday; Before D. Major Esq., Mayor, and W. Major Esq.

William Brittenden was charged with stealing 80ft. of iron chain from the bathing machines on the beach.

William Henry Willis deposed: Having missed some chain from my bathing machine, I gave information to the police. Yesterday I went with police constable Pearson to the premises of Mr. John Richardson, who keeps the Crown and Anchor, and there saw part of the chain now produced, which I can swear to.

Matthew Pearson deposed: Yesterday, between twelve and one o'clock, I went to the "Crown and Anchor" public house; I saw the landlord, John Richardson, and asked him if he had bought any chain, or had any left on his premises. He said “None that he was aware of”, and that I might search his premises. I did so, and in a room at the back part of his bar, found about 32 feet of iron chain, which the prosecutor said belonged to him. While we were going along with the chain, we met the prisoner with a bag containing something heavy, which on examination proved to be another part of the chain. I asked him if he had taken any chain to Mr. Richardson, and he said “Yes, I did, yesterday morning”.

The Mayor asked Mr. Richardson, who was present, if he could account for the chain being on his premises, and if he was a dealer in marine stores; in answer to which he stated that persons frequently left things at his house; he was not a dealer in marine stores, and knew nothing of the chain. The Mayor cautioned him to be careful in future.

The prisoner in his defence told a long story, and stated that he had been employed to carry the chain to Mr. Richardson's to sell, by John Ottaway, who told him he had found it on the beach.

Committed for trial. A warrant was issued against John Ottaway.


Southeastern Gazette 29 April 1856.

Local News.

Thursday: Before W. Bateman, J. Kelcey, and G. Kennicott Esqs.

John Richardson, of the Crown and Anchor, was charged with keeping his house open during divine service on Sunday last.

Case dismissed.


Folkestone Observer 8 July 1865.

Temporary license has been granted to Daniel Matthews for the Crown and Anchor.

Note: This is at variance with dates in More Bastions.


Folkestone Chronicle 12 August 1865.

Coroner's Inquest.

An inquest was held on Thursday afternoon, on the body of William Hollands, at the Crown and Anchor public house, Dover Street, before John Minter Esq., Coroner.

The Coroner said they had met together to enquire into the cause of the death of William Hollands, who it appeared fell from a cart on the Cricket Ground, on Wednesday last.

The jury, having been sworn, proceeded to view the body, which was lying in an upper room, after which the following evidence was taken:-

Thomas Hollands, sworn, deposed he resided in Ashford, and was a musician. He identified the body as that of his brother, William Hollands, also of Ashford. Landlord of the British Volunteers Inn. He was about 44 years of age.

Thomas Newman deposed he was sergeant of police of the Borough of Folkestone. Was on the cricket ground, Sandgate Plain, during the match on Wednesday afternoon. Saw deceased there; he was sitting in a cart in front of the booth in the Plain meadows; he was holding the reins. There was a little chaffing going on with the bystanders, when the deceased started the horse suddenly, which went off at a gallop in the direction of the tower, and going a little way up the bank, turned suddenly around. The deceased swayed to and fro and pitched out of the cart. Deceased was the worse for liquor, and witness thought that was the cause of his falling out. Witness helped to pick him up and opened his shirt collar, as he appeared to be labouring for breath. Mr. Bateman came up soon after and attended to him. Deceased rallied after a few minutes and called for “Charley”. Witness took him to another part of the field, and afterwards conveyed him to Folkestone, to the Crown and Anchor, by direction of Dr. Bateman. Witness helped him to bed, and shortly after Dr. Bateman attended him again.

William Bateman, surgeon, deposed he was on the ground, and saw the accident as Sgt. Newman had described it, but deceased fell on his back. He seemed to fall so easily that witness did not go to him at first. When he went to deceased, he was insensible. He had some cold water dashed in his face, when he revived, and said if he “was left alone for a little while he should be able to drive home presently”. Witness walked home, and a short time after deceased was brought to his house, when he found he was perfectly insensible. Witness ordered him to be taken to the Crown and Anchor, where he visited him, and found him insensible, with dilated pupils. He applied ice to his head, turpentine injections, and mustard plasters to the neck and spine. Nothing had any effect on him, and he died this morning. The cause of death witness ascribed to the excited state of deceased, the shock of the fall rupturing a blood vessel on the brain, which caused his death.

By a juryman – In my opinion nothing could have saved his life.

By the Coroner – He was not pushed out of the cart.

The coroner said that was all the evidence, and they had better consider their verdict.

The jury, without retiring, immediately returned a verdict of Accidental Death.


Folkestone Observer 23 December 1865.

Monday December 18th:- Before Captain Kennicott R.N. and J. Tolputt Esq.

Charles Inkpen, a respectable looking young man, was brought up in custody charged with being found in the dwelling house of Daniel Matthews, Crown and Anchor public house, for an unlawful purpose.

Prisoner pleaded guilty of being there, but not for an unlawful purpose.

The prosecutor, however, did not put in an appearance, and he was accordingly discharged for want of evidence.


Folkestone Chronicle 24 February 1866.

An inquest was held on Saturday afternoon at the Crown and Anchor public house, Dover Street before J. Minter Esq., the Borough Coroner, on the body of Henry Peek, a labourer employed by Lord Radnor's agent in the works now in progress for the erection of a sea wall on the Lower Sandgate Road, who died very suddenly on Thursday night while at his work. In order to make the drainage of the road as complete as possible a number of shafts have been sunk close under the cliff and have been carried under the road, with an outlet into the sea, and deceased was employed in excavating one of the shafts, when he was suddenly taken ill, and died before medical aid could be rendered. Eleven years ago deceased was employed in the Army Works Corps as a “navvy” in the Crimea.

The first witness was Thomas Forbes, of Station Cottages, Folkestone, who said he was employed as a timekeeper by the Earl of Radnor on the sea wall in the Lower Sandgate Road. He identified the body of deceased as that of Henry Peek, who had been employed on the work for about three months, and to all he knew, he was a healthy man. He was not at the works when deceased died. A quantity of shafts had been sunk along the side of the road, and deceased worked in a new one, nearest to Folkestone. The depth of the shaft was about 25 feet, and there would be no foul air at that depth, neither had they found any in the shafts. To all appearance the deceased appeared to be well when he went to work at six o'clock in the evening.

By the Foreman: Deceased went down the shaft about nine o'clock at night, and died almost instantaneously. He came from Lewisham and had always worked as a miner.

W. Bateman Esq., surgeon, said about ten o'clock on Thursday night he was told that a man had been taken ill in the works on the Lower Sandgate Road. He first saw deceased in Dover Street as some men were taking him home, and he told them to take him home as quick as possible. They did so, and he followed, when he found that deceased was then quite dead. He had since examined the body and found no marks of violence, bruises, or anything of the kind. He had no doubt, from the full state of the veins and the manner in which he had been told of his attack, that deceased had died of apoplexy.

By the Foreman: He could not say how long deceased had been dead when he saw him. He could assign no other cause for death. He was a strong, powerful man, given to hard work, and perhaps to drink, but he did not know of his own knowledge that he was given to drink.

The Coroner said that he gave orders for the attendance of the man who was with the deceased when he died, but owing to a mistake made by Morford, the summoning officer, he was not present, and it rested with the jury to say whether they were satisfied with the evidence before them as to the cause of death.

The foreman said the evidence was straightforward, the jury were quite satisfied with it, and they did not think there was any occasion for any other witness. They returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence, that the deceased died of apoplexy.


Folkestone Observer 24 February 1866.


An inquest was held at the Crown and Anchor inn, Dover Street, Folkestone, on Saturday afternoon last, before J. Minter Esq., coroner, on the body of Henry Peek, a miner, whose sudden death in a shaft on the works of the sea wall which is in the course of construction between Folkestone and Sandgate we briefly noticed in our impression of last week. The following evidence was adduced:–

Thomas Forbes, timekeeper for Lord Radnor on the works on the new sea wall, identified the body of deceased as that of Henry Peek, who had been on the works about three months. He appeared to be a healthy man, and at the time of his death was working about 25 feet below the surface in a new shaft which was being sunk. He was on night duty and was to all appearance well when he went to work at six o'clock in the evening. Witness was not there when he died. There was no foul air in the shaft at that depth, and they had not met with any in sinking either of the shafts.

Mr. Bateman, surgeon, said he was called to deceased on Thursday night about ten o'clock. He was told that a man had been taken in a fit in a shaft on the Lower Sandgate Road. He found him to be quite dead. He had since examined the body, upon which he found no marks of violence or bruises of any kind. From the appearance of the body – the state of the veins about the head and neck – and from what he had heard of the manner in which deceased was taken, he had no doubt death was caused by apoplexy.

The Coroner said he directed the attendance of the man who was working with deceased at the time of his death, but it appeared by some mistake he was not present. The jury had the testimony of the medical man, and the question was, were they satisfied as to the cause of death?

The jury expressed themselves perfectly satisfied, and at once returned a verdict of “Died suddenly from apoplexy”.


Southeastern Gazette 27 February 1866.


An inquest was held at the Crown and Anchor Inn, Dover Street, on Saturday afternoon week, before J. Minter, Esq., Coroner, on the body of Henry Peek, a miner, whose sudden death in a shaft on the works of the sea wall which is in course of construction between Folkestone and Sandgate we noticed last week.

Mr. Bateman, surgeon, stated that there were no marks of violence or bruises about the body, and he bad no doubt that death was caused by apoplexy, a verdict to which effect was returned.


Folkestone Observer 20 April 1866.

Wednesday April 18th:- Before the Mayor, J. Kelcey and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

William Cox was charged with assaulting Catherine Murphy in Dover Street on the 14th inst.

Catherine Murphy said: I am a widow, living at 3, Mill Bay. I was at Mr. Matthews' public house in Dover Street on Saturday night about 10 o'clock. I was with Mr. and Mrs. Manhall. We went into the tap room. The defendant came into the tap room while we were there. After he had been there some time he came up to me and said “You are a false woman. You and the girl banished the old man away”. I understood him to allude to a man who had been transported for 15 years, two years ago, for abusing my child. I said “If you knew the man who meddled with my child why did you not speak at the time? You should stand in his shoes”. He said “Do you mean that, you b---?”, and then struck me a blow with the back of his hand across my nose, and made my nose bleed. He knocked me down in the tap room. I went out of the tap room to my friend Manhall's house on The Narrows. The defendant followed me there. In Manhall's house he hit me with his fist on the temple, on my nose, and under my ear, three blows. Manhall ordered Cox out of the house and he went. Cox was beery but knew what he was saying and doing. I was as sober as I am now. After he knocked me down at Mr. Manhall's I took an iron poker and struck him on the temple with the top of it. I only struck him once.

Cross-examined: You were not in the public house when I came in. You were not sitting by the fire when I came in. You did hit me on the nose. I had a black eye.

Defendant addressed the bench and stated that he had been cohabiting with the complainant. He called Patrick Cox, who said: I am the brother of the defendant. I was at Mr. Matthews' house on Saturday night. I went there with my father. I was there when Mrs. Murphy came in. I heard some dispute between my brother and her. I saw my brother hit her a backhand slap in the mouth. Mrs. Murphy took the brass rod produced, and struck my brother on the temple with it. I took it out of her hand. It was not an iron poker. Mrs. Murphy left Mr. Matthews' house first, and my brother followed her.

Cross-examined: My father did not take the poker out of your hand. My brother did not knock you down at all.

Fined 1s and 9s costs, or seven days' imprisonment.

The fine was paid.


Folkestone Express 28 March 1868.

Advertisement. To Let.

With immediate possession, the Crown And Anchor Inn, Dover Street, Folkestone.

For particulars, apply on the premises.


Folkestone Observer 7 April 1870.

Wednesday, April 6th: Before The Mayor, R.W. Boarer, J. Tolputt, and A.M. Leith Esqs.

This was a special session for transferring and granting alehouse licenses.

James Longhurst applied for a license to sell excisable liquors at the Crown And Anchor Inn, Edmund Ashby, the person licensed at the last general annual licensing meeting, having removed from the house. The application was granted under 9, Geo. 4, c. 61., sec. 14.


Folkestone Chronicle 9 April 1870.

Wednesday April 6th: Before the Mayor, R.W. Boarer, J. Tolputt and A.M. Leith Esqs.

A license to sell at the Crown And Anchor was granted to James Longhurst.


Folkestone Express 9 April 1870.

Wednesday, April 6th: Before The Mayor, A.M. Leith, J. Tolputt and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Crown And Anchor: From Edward Ashby to James Longhurst.


Southeastern Gazette 11 April 1870.

Special Petty Sessions.

A special session was held on Wednesday for transferring and granting alehouse licences.

James Longhurst applied for a license to sell excisable liquors at the Crown and Anchor Inn, Edmund Ashby, the person licensed at the last general annual licensing meeting, having removed from the house. The application was granted under 9 Geo. 4, c. 61 sec. 14.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 16 April 1870.

Special Petty Sessions.

A special session was held on Wednesday for transferring and granting ale-house licenses.

James Long-hurst applied for a license to sell excisable liquors at the "Crown and Anchor Inn," Edmund Ashby, the person licensed at the last general annual licensing meeting, having removed from the house. The application was granted under 9 Geo. 4, c. 61, sec. 14.


Folkestone Express 7 January 1871.

Transfer of License.

Wednesday, January 4th: Before The Mayor, R.W. Boarer, J. Clarke and C.H. Dashwood Esqs.

Transfer was granted to the Crown And Anchor.


Folkestone Chronicle 18 November 1871.

Wednesday, November 15th: Before The Mayor, T. Caister and J. Clark Esqs.

Jeremiah O'Leary was summoned by Mrs. Smith, wife of Edward Smith, landlord of the Crown And Anchor, to answer the charge of assaulting her in that house on the night of Saturday week, the 4th instant.

Mrs. Smith said that on the evening on which the assault was committed defendant came into her house with some companions and had some beer. In consequence of a disturbance which took place she told defendant to leave the premises, and P.C. Sharpe came and turned them out. They came back again soon after, and went into the tap room. In consequence of another disturbance in that room she went in for the purpose of getting them to go away, when defendant threw the contents of a glass of beer over her, and used insulting language to her. He also further assaulted her by pushing her rudely away.

Edward Smith, the husband of the above witness, and who is blind, said that he heard the voice of O'Leary calling his wife ill names.

Henry Martin, barman, gave corroborative evidence in reference to the disturbance raised by defendant.

O'Leary, in defence, said he was at the Crown And Anchor in company with a man named Mercer, and he should call a witness to prove what he was going to say. Whilst in the tap room Mrs. Smith came in and took away the pot of beer they had paid for, and which was on the table. She called them very bad names, but he did not think she would have made use of such language had she not been the worse for liquor.

Mrs. Smith: Oh! You false swearing man! How can you say such things? You wicked, wicked man.

William Stace, labourer, said he was in the tap room when Mercer and O'Leary came in, and heard them call for a pot of beer. It was between ten and eleven, and Mrs. Smith said they could not have it. A young man, named Allen, went out and fetched it for them. Mrs. Smith then came in after the beer, and attempted to take it away. She called O'Leary a rogue and a thief.

Mrs. Smith (interrupting): Oh, sir! Allow me!

Mr. Sturges (in the absence of Mr. Bradley, clerk to the magistrates): You must not interfere. You must be quiet and let witness give his evidence.

(After considerable trouble Mrs. Smith was induced to remain quiet and listen to the rest of the evidence)

Stace, continuing, said that when complainant went to take the glass away, O'Leary threw it behind the door, and not at Mrs. Smith, who was the worse for liquor. (Mrs. Smith: It is false, false, and you know it). He saw O'Leary go out of the bar, but did not see him push Mrs. Smith, or hear him make use of any improper language.

Mrs. Smith then subjected Stace to a searching cross-examination, which she alternated with addresses to the Bench. She failed, however, to shake his evidence, and in hopelessness resigned her task.

Thomas Stace, brother of the last witness, was called, but as he was not present when the alleged assault took place, his evidence was not called for.

After some deliberation the magistrates dismissed the case, as from the contradictory evidence the assault was unable to be proved.


Folkestone Express 18 November 1871.

Wednesday, November 15th: Before The Mayor, T. Caister and J. Clarke Esqs.

Jeremiah O'Leary, fisherman, appeared in answer to an adjourned summons charging him with assaulting Christiana Smith, at the Crown And Anchor public house, on the 4th inst.

Christiana Smith deposed: Was the wife of Edward Smith, landlord of the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street. On Saturday the 4th inst., at about seven o'clock in the evening, defendant and a man named Richard Mercer went into the Crown And Anchor and asked for a pot of beer. They remained in the house some time and created a disturbance. Complainant sent for a police constable and had them put out for making a disturbance. After a while they returned and asked for some beer over the bar, which complainant refused them, and they then went into the tap room. A young man then went to the bar for a pot of beer and took it to them. Soon afterwards complainant had her attention called to the tap room by the sound of a glass falling. She went to the tap room, and while in the doorway defendant threw the contents of the glass, three parts full of beer, into her face, then pushed her with his hands three times, and flourished the glass before her in a threatening attitude. She took the glass from him, and he called her a “---- old cow, and old pig, an old sow” and other bad names. He was put out by a policeman a second time.

Cross-examined by defendant: I refused you the beer. The constable put you out the first time, and I sent for him the second time. I did not take a jug from you and call you “A rogue and a ---- thief”. I did not strike you.

John Landringham deposed: Was a labourer and lived on The Narrows. He was in the tap room of the Crown And Anchor at the time the disturbance occurred. The first he saw of it was a glass of beer thrown by defendant at the complainant, which went upon the door. He could not say whether any of it went upon her. He did not hear her say anything previously, but heard her voice outside the door.

The Clerk: What have you come here to prove?

Witness: That he threw a glass of beer at her.

Edward Smith deposed: Was the landlord of the Crown And Anchor. About seven o'clock on the above date defendant and Richard Mercer went upstairs into the Concert Room and created a disturbance by insisting upon him (witness) “lushing” a man. He ordered him out and sent for a policeman, who also ordered him out. They then went out. Between ten and eleven the same night his wife called him down as the two men were there again making a disturbance. He went down and Mercer was in the tap room and O'Leary at the bar door threatening his wife and calling her bad names.

The Clerk: Did you see Mercer.

Witness: I can't see, sir. I am blind. I heard them. A policeman was sent for, and after some hesitation and bad words they went out.

Defendant: What did I know about treating the man upstairs?

Witness: I don't know. You were there with Mercer and called me “a ---- liar”.

Henry Martin deposed: Was at the Crown And Anchor when this row took place. Heard one of the men (Mercer and O'Leary) say to the landlord “Why don't you treat the man with a glass of grog, as you promised?” Left the room, thinking there would be a row, and heard loud speaking afterwards. Later in the evening the men were there again, and Mrs. Smith asked him to fetch a policeman. He did so, and when he returned with a policeman she said defendant had thrown a glass of beer over her. Her sleeve was wet at the time, as well as her habit shirt, with beer. The police ordered them out and they both went.

Defendant denied the charge, and said the landlady was taking away the beer he had paid for, and sooner than let her do so, he threw some away behind the door. None went upon her. She appeared to be worse for drink.

He called Wm. Stace, who deposed to being present, and hearing complainant call defendant “a ---- thief”. Defendant threw the beer behind the door. None fell upon complainant. A young man named Allen got the beer for defendant, and complainant wanted to take it back. Did not see defendant touch Mrs. Smith or hear him use bad language.

The Court was cleared, and the Magistrates having consulted, the Mayor said in the opinion of the Court the case was anything but satisfactory, and it was hoped the defendant would not appear there again. The case was not proved, and it would be dismissed.


Folkestone Chronicle 20 January 1872.

Wednesday, January 17th: Before The Mayor, Ald. Tolputt and T. Caister Esq.

George Mercer was summoned for assaulting John Martin.

Complainant is a barman in the employ of T. Smith, landlord of the Crown And Anchor. Defendant went to that house and charged Martin with supplying beer to a woman he lived with when she was drunk, and he also spat in Mrs. Smith's face, and struck complainant.

The evidence revealed a deplorable state of immorality existing in the neighbourhood of The Narrows, where defendant lives, and in connection with the Crown And Anchor public house, the particulars of which it is not necessary to give our readers.

The Bench considered the assault proved, and fined defendant 5s., and 12s. costs, or 14 days' imprisonment.

The fine was paid.


Folkestone Express 20 January 1872.

Wednesday, January 17th: Before The Mayor, T. Caister, J. Kelcey and J. Tolputt Esqs.

Richard Mercer was charged with assaulting Henry Martin at the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street, on Sunday last.

Complainant said: On Sunday evening about a quarter past eight, defendant, with his brother George, and Thomas Stace, came past the bar at the Crown And Anchor into the tap room. About five minutes afterwards defendant came back into the bar and said to me and Mrs. Smith, the landlady, “Do you know you are liable for drawing my wife liquor after she is drunk?”. I told him she had nothing to drink but what she paid for herself, and that we asked her to go home several times and she would not. I had occasion to go into the cellar, and his wife (as he calls her) was in the house. She was the worse for drink, but was drunk when she came in; I had not served her with anything. When I came back from the cellar I saw that Mrs. Smith's face was covered with spittle and she said “See what this fellow Dick has done to me”, and I said to defendant “You ought to know yourself better”. He said I can't help sputtering when I get out of temper”. He then spat a mouthful of spittle in Mrs. Smith's face. I then said to him “I saw you do that”. He replied “Yes, you ----, and if you don't go into the bar I'll serve you the same”. I went into the bar and Mrs. Smith got Mr. Smith into the bar. Defendant then went into the tap room and shut the door, and about nine o'clock he made another attack on Mrs. Smith. He went into the back private parlour, where Mrs. Smith had put a few of her respectable customers because the tap room was full. Mrs Smith went to him and asked him to leave the room, and he refused to do so, but after some persuasion he went into the tap room again. He was going into the parlour again, when Mrs. Smith stopped him, and he pushed her down. I said “Dick, that's the second time you have assaulted her tonight”. He then came into the bar and said “You ----, take that”, and struck me behind the left ear with his fist and knocked me backwards. When I got up he said ”If I catch you outside I'll do for you” and I have been afraid of my life ever since.

By defendant: You did not accuse me of drawing liquor all the afternoon. You have never accused me of bringing liquor to The Narrows on Sunday mornings. I was not stealing the landlord's brandy. Kitty Smith was in the jug and bottle department.

Mrs. Christiana Smith, landlady of the Crown And Anchor said: Defendant was in my house on Sunday night. I stopped him from going into the parlour, and he followed me into the bar and rushed at complainant and struck him on the ear and said if he caught him outside he would do for him.

By defendant: Our pianoforte player was going into the lower bar, which is a private room. I never had card parties there. It is not because you had caught me and the potman in a private room together that I would not let you go in there.

Defendant: I accused Martin of taking beer to The Narrows and making my woman drunk every hour of the night; he drinks liquor up there that he steals from Smith. He knows my woman is a low character. I have hit him several times before, but not this time.

Defendant was fined 5s. and 12s. costs, which a friend paid for him.

At the conclusion of the case, Mr. Smith, landlord of the Crown And Anchor (a blind man), told the Bench that Mercer was a complete nuisance to his house, and asked that he might be bound not to enter it again.

To this novel application the Bench replied that they could not make a private house of a public house.


Folkestone Express 25 May 1872.

Monday, May 20th: Before The Mayor, J. Gambrill and J. Clarke Esqs.

Henry Martin, potman at the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street, was charged with assaulting Ellen Berry, an “unfortunate”, on Thursday.

Complainant's statement was that defendant struck her three times, and dragged her by the hair of the head out of the tap room, and also kicked her.

Defendant made a long statement to the effect that complainant was making a disturbance at the bar and using very bad language, which he was very anxious to make known was “not fit for publication”. He said that when he told that she must not use such language she “flew at him and scratched his face”. He also said that three cabmen came up at the time and knocked him down because he turned complainant out.

Defendant was fined 1s. and 12s. costs, or seven days' hard labour.


Folkestone Chronicle 10 May 1873.

Wednesday, May 7th: Before The Mayor, J. Kelcey, R.W. Boarer, and J. Gambrill Esqs.

Edward Smith, landlord of the Crown And Anchor public house, was charged with selling beer during closing hours on Sunday last, April 27th.

Mr. Till appeared for defendant.

P.C. Hogben, sworn, said: On Sunday, April 27th, I was on duty in Dover Street, and watched defendant's house from the window of another house. There is an entrance leading from Dover Street to the side of defendant's house, and I saw soldiers going to a cottage attached to the Crown And Anchor. Between 3 and half past 5, I saw from 30 to 40 soldiers enter the cottage. A prostitute named Reed lived in the cottage, and about half past 3 I saw her go to the cellar window of the public house and receive a bottle through the window from someone inside. A short time afterwards she again knocked at the door and received a brown jug through the same place. She came a fourth time with a rifleman, and a bottle of soda water or lemonade was handed out to her. She went a fifth time and knocked at a side door in the passage and received a white jug from someone inside. At 10 minutes to 5 she went to the side door and received a brown jug, and Superintendent Wilshire followed the woman into the cottage. He there found 19 Riflemen and 8 Redcoats sitting round a table. The brown jug was nearly full of beer, and several half gallon jugs also. 16 Riflemen and 8 Redcoats ran away.

Cross-examined by Mr. Till: Cottage is separated although it adjoins the house. Did not know that the house included the cottage. Mrs. Reed was the tenant. I saw no payment made. I know it was beer in the jugs.

P.C. Gower, sworn, who was with Hogben, corroborated the statements made by him, as did also Supt. Wilshire.

Mr. Till, in defence, said there was no evidence of the sale or supply. Indeed there was nothing to convict the landlord of sale.

The Bench convicted the defendant, and fined him 10, in default a distress warrant to issue, and in default 3 months' imprisonment.


Folkestone Express 10 May 1873.

Wednesday, May 7th: Before The Mayor, J. Kelcey, R.W. Boarer, and J. Gambrill Esqs.

Edward Smith, landlord of the Crown And Anchor, was summoned on a charge of having on Sunday, April 27th, sold intoxicating liquors within prohibited hours to persons not being lodgers in the house.

Mr. Till appeared for defendant.

P.C. Hogben deposed: I was on duty in Dover Street on Sunday afternoon, April 27th, about three o'clock, when I had occasion to go into a house at the back of defendant's, from the window of which I could see the Crown And Anchor. I saw from thirty to forty soldiers go into a house attached to the Crown And Anchor. The house is in the occupation of Charlotte Reed, a prostitute, and saw her about half past three go to a side door of the Crown And Anchor and knock. Someone came to the window and gave her a bottle wrapped in paper. Shortly afterwards I saw her go to the window again, when another bottle was given to her. She went again, when a small jug was handed to her. A soldier belonging to the Rifle Brigade then went to the window, when a bottle of soda water or lemonade was handed to him, for which he gave the person who handed it to him some coppers. Reed went again to the window, when a jug was given to her. At ten minutes past five she went again, when a brown jug was handed to her, containing beer. At half past five I and my Superintendent followed Reed to the cottage. The Superintendent knocked at the door and someone said “Come in”. We went in and found nineteen men in Rifle uniform, and eight in red coats. They were sitting round the table. Sixteen of the Rifles and eight of the red coats ran out. There was a big brown jug nearly filled with beer standing on the table; there were also several half gallon jugs, and several quart jugs with beer in them.

By Mr. Till: The cottage is next door and attached to the Crown And Anchor. I don't know whether the cottage is included in Smith's license; as far as I know it is Charlotte Reed's cottage. I did not see any payment made except for the soda water. It was a brown jug on the fifth and sixth occasions. I know it was beer which I saw on the table; I saw the froth on the jug when she was taking it from the window; I should not like to swear it did not contain champagne. I believe it was beer because the froth was on the top. I could not see who handed the jugs out of the window.

P.C. Gower deposed to being in the house watching in company with Hogben, and gave corroborative evidence.

In answer to Mr. Till witness said he did not know who lived in the house in which he was watching.

Superintendent Wilshire said: About half past four in the afternoon on the day in question I and P.C. Gower were in a house commanding a view of the Crown And Anchor, when I saw a number of soldiers going in and out of a cottage close to the Crown And Anchor. They were drunk and riotous. Soon after five o'clock I saw Charlotte Reed go to the Crown And Anchor and return with a brown jug in her hand. I went immediately to her house and saw the identical brown jug with beer in it; I know it by its having a metal rim on the top. The beer had froth on it and appeared to be fresh drawn. There were a number of other jugs on the table with beer in them. There were about thirty soldiers in Charlotte Reed's room, the floor of which was sanded round the table. Four or five of the soldiers were very drunk, and most of them were under the influence of liquor; several were smoking. When I first went into the house there was a general rush of the soldiers out of the house. I afterwards went to the Crown And Anchor and found a window looking into a kitchen which has communication with a cellar. He was told by a girl there was no-one in the house, which he believed was correct.

By Mr. Till: The girl said the house where the soldiers were had nothing to do with the Crown And Anchor. The floor of the cottage was sanded like a tap room.

Mr. Till, for the defence, contended that according to the wording of the summons there was no case against his client. The summons charged defendant with “selling” certain intoxicating liquors on a certain day, but there was no evidence of any sale of anything but lemonade. Mr. Smith was not tenant of the cottage, but Mrs. Reed, and his client had nothing whatever to do with what was consumed in the cottage. It was not for their Worships to decide upon any construction which might be put upon the evidence, but upon the evidence itself, and it was for the prosecution to prove that Mr. Smith was cognizant of the sale of liquor. He (Mr. Till) grounded his plea for a dismissal first on the ground that there was no evidence of the sale of intoxicating drinks, and second, there was nothing to connect his client with supplying such liquors.

The Mayor said it was the opinion of the Magistrates that the case was proved, and also that it was a bad case. Defendant would therefore be fined 10, and the conviction would be endorsed upon his license. In default of payment and a distress warrant he would be committed for three months' hard labour. Notice would be given of the conviction to the owner of the house, Mr. Ash, and a third conviction would disqualify defendant and the house.

The money was paid.


Southeastern Gazette 10 May 1873.

Local News.

At the Police Court on Wednesday, Charles Smith was charged with opening his house, the Crown and Anchor, for the sale of drink during prohibited hours on Sunday, the 27th ult.

From the evidence given it appears that two policemen watched the house from a neighbour’s window on the day in question, and saw a woman obtain several jugs of beer which were handed her from the cellar window of defendant’s house. The woman conveyed the beer to a cottage close by where she lived, and on the Supt. of police entering the place he found about twenty soldiers sitting round a table drinking beer, which was contained in jugs belonging to defendant.

Mr. Till, who appeared for the defendant, said there was no proof of any sale on the part of his client.

The Bench, however, convicted defendant, and fined him 10 or three months' imprisonment.


Folkestone Express 30 August 1873.

Annual Licensing Meeting.

Wednesday, August 27th: Before The Mayor, J. Gambrill, J. Tolputt, and J. Clarke Esq.

The licensing committee met at ten o'clock for the purpose of taking into consideration the question of making any alteration in the hours for opening and closing public houses. Shortly after eleven o'clock the licensed victuallers present were called into Court, where the Clerk said the Bench would hear anything with reference to the alteration of the hours for the opening and closing.

The renewal of the license of the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street, was withheld until September 30th, applicant having been fined 10 on the 7th May last for having his house open during prohibited hours, and it will be remembered that Supt. Wilshire made a raid upon the cottage at the back, where thirty or forty soldiers were assembled drinking on a Sunday afternoon, the beer being supplied from the Crown And Anchor. The Supt. said that since the conviction the drinking had been carried on in the cottage, and a great amount of drunkenness resulted.

Mr. Smith, the landlord (who is blind), said he had got permission from the owner of the house to give the tenants of the cottage notice to quit. He thought it very hard that a blind man should be so persecuted, and the police might find a man with his eyes to proceed against.


Southeastern Gazette 2 September 1873.

Local News.

The annual licensing meeting was held on Wednesday, when the magistrates present were J. Hoad, Esq. (Mayor), J. Gambrill, J. Tolputt, and J. Clark, Esqrs.

The Bench reserved their decision until the adjourned meeting in the case of the Crown and Anchor, Dover Street.


Folkestone Chronicle 4 October 1873.

Adjourned Licensing Day.

Wednesday, October 1st: Before The Mayor, J. Clarke and J. Tolputt Esqs.

This was the day appointed to consider the postponed licenses, and Mr. Mowll, of Dover, appeared, and in a long address, pleaded the cause of the following house, the license of which the magistrates renewed, giving the landlord a severe caution, that if they were again complained of, they would not be granted: the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street, Edward Smith.


Folkestone Express 4 October 1873.

Adjourned Licensing Meeting.

Tuesday, September 30th: Before The Mayor, J. Tolputt and J. Clark Esqs.

The Star, The Marquis Of Lorne, and The Crown And Anchor.

The renewal of the above-named house was adjourned from the licensing meeting on the 27th August.

Mr. Worsfold Mowll, of Dover, appeared for Messrs. Holloway (Marquis Of Lorne), Pope (Star) and Smith (Crown And Anchor). He asked the Bench to take the three applications together, which was complied with.

Superintendent Wilshere said he had given notice that he should oppose the renewal of the license to the Marquis Of Lorne, the reason being that it was the habitual resort of prostitutes. He never visited the house, but found such characters there. He had seen prostitutes at the Star up to the 27th August. The Crown And Anchor was also a habitual resort of such characters, and the landlord was fined 10 on 7th May last for selling intoxicating liquors during prohibited hours. He had no complaint to make against the house since the annual licensing day. The cottage at the back of the house which was formerly occupied as a brothel was then untenanted.

By Mr. Mowll: Had visited the London music halls and although there was no doubt women of loose character habitually assembled there they did not conduct themselves as open prostitutes. Had cautioned Holloway. There was a brothel next door to the Marquis Of Lorne, and there was a communication between the two houses by means of a narrow passage into which a door opened from the tap room. On the 23rd May a prostitute named Fanny Boulton gave as her residence the Marquis Of Lorne.

Mr. Mowll objected to such statements being made unless supported by evidence.

Cross-examination continued: There were sure to be private brothels close to the public houses in a neighbourhood like Radnor Street.

Mr. Mowll apprehended that there would be no difficulty in the way of their Worships granting the licenses, because the evidence of the Superintendent merely went to show that he had visited the houses from time to time and he had found reputed prostitutes there, but it was acknowledged by the Legislature that such characters could claim to be served with refreshments, and if a landlord refused to serve them he would be liable to be indicted. But putting that aside for a moment, was it possible (he asked) that in a neighbourhood like that in which the houses were situated there would not be from time to time such characters taking refreshments at the public houses? Folkestone being a seaport and close to a military camp, where there were from 2,000 to 3,000 soldiers, it was impossible to keep houses where soldiers and sailors were in the habit of resorting entirely free from objectionable women. No doubt it was their Worships' duty to put down all kind of immorality as far as they possibly could, but the Legislature had to a certain extent legitimised it, and the women were entitled to go for refreshments to any public house. No doubt the Clerk would advise the Bench that not only was it necessary that notice of opposition should be given, but also that certain offences should be proved and recorded upon the licenses, but with the exception of Smith's case, there was not a single conviction recorded against his clients.

The Court was cleared for a time, and on the readmission of the public the Mayor said the Magistrates were glad to hear that there was an improvement in the conducting of the houses in question, and they had determined to renew the licenses, but they wished to say that in case of the law being broken in future the full penalties would be inflicted.


Folkestone Chronicle 29 August 1874.

Licensing Day.

The annual brewsters' licensing day was held on Wednesday last. The magistrates on the Bench were The Mayor, J. Tolputt, and W. Bateman Esqs. The license of the Crown And Anchor was adjourned for a month.


Folkestone Express 29 August 1874.

Annual Licensing Sessions.

Wednesday, August 26th: Before The Mayor, W. Bateman and J. Tolputt Esqs.

The seventy four licensed victuallers, twelve beershop keepers and twenty three grocers and wine merchants had their licenses renewed, with the exception of those named.

The Crown And Anchor: The license of this house has recently been transferred from Edward Smith to A. Thurlow. The Superintendent opposed the renewal of the license on the ground of the house having been the habitual resort of prostitutes.

Mr. Mowll appeared for applicant and said he thought it was a pity the notice of opposition had been served. Applicant wished to have a Free and Easy every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday evening, but before instituting it he asked the Superintendent if he had any objection to it, and he replied that he had no objection if there were dancing. Applicant had produced first class testimonials which he (Mr. Mowll) did not hesitate to say he should be proud of if they were his. He was instructed to say that the woman who was living in the house had applied to have her name taken off the register as she wished to reform her life, and he believed that on Monday week her name would be taken off. Applicant came before the Bench with clean hands.

The Mayor said the felt compelled to adjourn that application for a month.

Mr. Hart remarked that he thought there was sufficient to justify the Superintendent in opposing the license.


Folkestone Express 19 September 1874.

Saturday, September 12th: Before The Mayor and J. Tolputt Esq.

John Whittingstall pleaded Guilty to using obscene language in Dover Street.

Mr. Thurlow, Crown And Anchor, said defendant was in his concert room and insulted his wife by making a remark which he did not wish to repeat, and on getting into the street his language was exceedingly bad. He did not wish to press the case if defendant would behave himself in future.

Prisoner said he was drunk or he should not have been in the house. Fined 5s. and 8s. costs.


Folkestone Chronicle 26 September 1874.

Brewster Session.

Wednesday, September 23rd: Before W. Wightwick Esq.

The license of the Crown And Anchor was renewed.


Folkestone Express 26 September 1874.

Wednesday, September 23rd: Before The Mayor, J. Tolputt and J. Clark Esqs.

This being the day for hearing the adjourned applications for licenses, the following was disposed of:-

The Crown And Anchor: In this case the renewal of the license to Mr. Thurlow was withheld for similar reasons to those in the last case.

Supt. Wilshere reported that the woman who was living in the house as servant had had her name taken off the books.

Mr. Mowll, of Dover, who supported the application, remarked that the opposition consequently fell to the ground.

The Mayor having remarked that there were two convictions against the house, Mr. Thurlow said they were against the former landlord, Smith, whose interest in the house had ceased.

The application was granted.


Southeastern Gazette 26 September 1874.

Adjourned Licensing Meeting

At the adjourned brewster sessions, on Wednesday, the opposition to the renewal of the licences of the Marquis of Lome and the Crown and Anchor was withdrawn.


Folkestone Chronicle 6 March 1875.

Wednesday, March 3rd: Before The Mayor and R.W. Boarer Esq.

Albert Thurlow, landlord of the Crown And Anchor, was summoned for harbouring prostitutes.

P.C. Ovenden stated that four prostitutes were in the house for half an hour and more, and one of them was very quarrelsome.

This evidence was substantiated by Supt. Wilshere.

The magistrates informed defendant, and hoped that it would be generally known amongst publicans, that by harbouring prostitutes they were liable to a penalty of 20, as well as the forfeiture of the license.

The Clerk pointed out that harbouring meant permission to remain an unnecessarily long time for refreshment.

This case was dismissed with a caution.


Folkestone Express 6 March 1875.

Wednesday, March 3rd: Before The Mayor and R.W. Boarer Esq.

Albert Thurlow, landlord of the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street, was charged with having permitted his house, on the 19th ult., to be the resort of persons reputed to be prostitutes.

P.C. Ovenden said that at half past eight on the night in question he visited the house. There were two prostitutes with several sailors in the room. Witness went again at a quarter to eleven, when he found four prostitutes in front of the bar, two of them being those he previously saw there. Ten minutes after, witness, Superintendent Wilshere, and Sergeant Reynolds visited and cleared the house, when three of the prostitutes were in the house. He had not warned the defendant on that night.

Superintendent Wilshere deposed that he visited the house in company with the last witness and Sergeant Reynolds on the 19th ult. Outside witness heard a prostitute in loud conversation with a man. On going into the bar witness found three women and some men. Witness said to defendant “Do you know who you have here, Mr. Thurlow?” Defendant replied that they had only just come in. Witness retorted that that was wrong, as he had been told they had been there a long time.

The Mayor asked defendant if he was aware that he would, by harbouring prostitutes, be liable to a fine of 20, and to forfeit his license?

The defendant replied that he was not aware of it.The Mayor said it would be well for the landlords of all public houses to take notice of this. The case would be dismissed, as defendant had not been sufficiently warned.

Mr. John Banks rose as defendant left the room and said that he had put another man into the Crown And Anchor in place of defendant, who, he trusted, would conduct the house better.

Joshua Anthony, a seaman, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Dover Street on Tuesday night.

Superintendent Wilshere said that the previous night he heard that a disturbance took place at the Cutter Inn, when defendant and another man were fighting in the house. They ran away, and an hour afterwards he found defendant drunk and quarrelsome in the Crown And Anchor Inn. This was the third time defendant had been found fighting in the street since he had been in the town.

Fined 10s. and 8s. 6d. costs or fourteen days. As his captain would not advance the money defendant went to gaol.


Folkestone Express 24 April 1875.

Saturday, April 17th: Before J. Tolputt, J. Clark and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Frederick Wallace was granted temporary authority to sell excisable liquor at the Crown And Anchor Inn under the authority granted to Albert Lott Thurlow at the annual licensing meeting.


Folkestone Express 19 June 1875.

Wednesday, June 16th: Before R.W. Boarer, Col. De Crespigny and J. Tolputt Esq.

Fred Waller applied that the license of the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street, might be transferred to him from Albert Thurlow. Granted.

Note: More Bastions lists this as Wallis.


Folkestone Express 6 November 1875.

Friday, November 5th: Before The Mayor, T. Caister and J. Tolputt Esqs.

Charles Frederick Evans, a driver in the 25th Brigade, Royal Artillery, was charged with stealing a “spinning jenny”, value 10s., the property of Mr.Le Butt, Royal George Hotel, on the previous evening.

Lieutenant Little, R.A., was present during the hearing of the case.

Eliza Amos, barmaid at the Royal George Hotel, Beach Street, said that on Thursday evening at six o'clock prisoner came to the house. He came into the bar with another man, a civilian called “Dicky Buff”, and asked for two glasses of ale. Witness served the beer and the two stayed in the bar about a quarter of an hour. Prisoner went away first, and in about five minutes afterwards witness missed the “spinning jenny” produced. It stood behind the bar on a shelf and anyone would have to reach over to get it. Prisoner was brought to the hotel about seven o'clock by the provost, some soldiers, and a policeman. The latter asked witness if she had seen prisoner before, and she replied in the affirmative. Prisoner asked where the civilian was who gave it to him, but witness did not reply. Prisoner had a stripe on his arm when he first came in the house.

Frederick Wallis said he was landlord of the Crown And Anchor Inn, Dover Street. On Thursday evening at a quarter past seven prisoner came in alone and asked for a glass of ale. Prisoner produced the “spinning jenny” from under his arm and said he had bought it for the Artillery sports. He asked witness to buy it for 5s., and witness ultimately gave him 4s. for it. Witness afterwards heard that the “jenny” was missing and gave information to the police.

Superintendent Wilshere asked for a remand, and the Bench accordingly granted a remand until today (Saturday).


Folkestone Express 13 November 1875.

Saturday, November 6th: Before The Mayor, J. Tolputt, T. Caister and W.J. Jeffreason Esqs.

Frederick Charles Evans, a soldier in the 25th Brigade, Royal Artillery, was charged on remand from the previous day with stealing a “spinning jenny”. The particulars appeared in our issue of last week.

Corporal James Hall, of the Garrison Military Police, said he went in search of the prisoner, whom he found in a public house in Dover Street. Witness told him he would have to go to the Royal George. Prisoner asked what for, but witness made no reply. On arriving at the Royal George, the barmaid identified prisoner as having been there that evening.

P.C. Butcher said that about half past seven on Thursday evening he received the prisoner from the last witness and took him to the station. Prisoner was there identified by Mr. Wallis of the Crown And Anchor as the man who sold him the “spinning jenny”. Witness then locked the prisoner up, and afterwards two stripes, which had been on his arm, were found lying on the floor of the cell.

Prisoner, who had nothing to say, was committed for trial.


Folkestone Chronicle 29 January 1876.

Quarter Sessions.

Monday, January 24th: Before J.J. Lonsdale Esq.

John Frederick Evans, 22, Bombardier in the 25th Brigade, Royal Artillery, was indicted for stealing one spinning Jenny, value 10s., the property of Mr. Hobson Wright Lebutt, landlord of the Royal George, Folkestone.

Mr. Kingsford prosecuted.

Prisoner stole the article from the counter of the Royal George, and afterwards sold it to the landlord of the Crown And Anchor for 4s.

The Recorder sentenced him to six months' imprisonment with hard labour.


Folkestone Express 29 January 1876.

Quarter Sessions.

Monday, January 24th: Before J.J. Lonsdale Esq.

John Frederick Evans, 22, a bombardier in the Royal Artillery, was charged with stealing a “spinning jenny”, value 10s., the property of Hobson Wright Le Butt, on the 4th November, 1875.

Prisoner pleaded Not Guilty.

Mr. Kingsford prosecuted, and briefly stated the facts of the case to the jury. He then called Eliza Amos: I am a barmaid at the Royal George Hotel. On the day in question I saw the prisoner come in, and I also saw the “spinning jenny” quite safe. After the prisoner was gone out I missed the “spinning jenny”. Prisoner had two gold stripes on his arm. The same evening prisoner was brought to the house. I had given information to the police.

By the prisoner: There were two other men in the house. I do not know them.

Frederick Wallis: I am the landlord of the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street. On the 4th November prisoner came to my house and offered a “spinning jenny” for sale. He said he had bought it for the Camp Sports, but did not want it. I bought it from him for 4s.; he asked 5s. for it. I heard afterwards that a “spinning jenny” had been stolen from the Royal George, and I gave information to the police.

Corporal J. Hall, 41st Regiment: I went in search of the prisoner and found him in the Crown And Anchor. He was in the tap room. I called him out and handed him over to P.C. Butcher.

P.C. Butcher: I received the prisoner into custody and charged him, but he made no reply. I took him to the station and saw Mr. Wallis, who said “That's the man I bought the “spinning jenny” from”. Prisoner had two gold stripes. I afterwards saw him in the cell, but the stripes were taken off his jacket and were lying on the floor under the bed.

Mr. Wallis, re-called, said: Prisoner had two stripes on his arm.

Prisoner said that he went into the Royal George with two sailors, and soon after one of them came out with the article and asked him to sell it. He took it to one place, but could not sell it, and he then took it to Mr. Wallis who bought it. He bore a good character in the regiment, and if it had not been for drink he should never have had anything to do with the matter.

The learned Recorder, in summing up the case, reverted to the fact that there had been an attempt on the part of the prisoner to disguise himself by cutting off his stripes.

The jury returned a verdict of Guilty, and the Recorder said he did not think it was a case in which the prisoner wished to get out of the army, and he should therefore only sentence the prisoner to be imprisoned with hard labour for six calendar months.


Folkestone Express 20 May 1876.

Wednesday, May 17th: Before The Mayor, Capt. Fletcher, Dr. Bateman, T. Caister and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Ellen Stace, who has frequently put in an appearance at this court, was charged with being drunk and using obscene language on the 16th inst.

Prisoner pleaded Guilty.

P.C. Keeler said that on the previous evening he saw the prisoner lying down in the street. She had just been turned out of the Crown And Anchor. Witness asked her to get up, but she refused, and he was compelled to take her into custody. She then made use of very foul language.

The Mayor said that the prisoner had appeared six times before the Bench, and it was therefore necessary to put a stop to such disgraceful conduct. A small fine or a light sentence appeared to have no effect upon her, and the Bench had therefore resolved to commit her for twenty one days with hard labour.


Folkestone Express 8 July 1876.

Saturday, July 1st: Before R.W. Boarer Esq., Capt. Crowe, and General Armstrong.

A temporary license for the Crown And Anchor was granted to Mr. Wallis

Note: This would be Thomas Wallis.


Folkestone Express 12 August 1876.

Transfer of License:

Wednesday, August 9th: Before The Mayor, General Cannon, Alderman Caister, J. Tolputt, J. Clark, and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

The license of the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street from Frederick Wallis to Thomas Wallis.


Folkestone Chronicle 13 January 1877.

Monday, January 8th: Before General Armstrong, Captain Fletcher, J. Kelcey and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Thomas Adams, a private in the Guards, stationed at Shorncliffe, was charged with attempting to steal money from a till.

Thomas Wallace, landlord of the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street, said prisoner came to his house on Saturday and asked for a pint of beer, with which he was served, and for which he paid. During witness's temporary absence from the bar he hear the chink of money, and turning back saw prisoner leaning over the counter with his hand in the till. Witness ran round and seized the prisoner, called police constable Hogben, and gave him into custody. The prisoner, electing to be tried by the Bench, pleaded not guilty, and in his defence attributed the whole affair to the invention of the landlord.

The Bench sentenced him to two months' imprisonment with hard labour.


Folkestone Express 13 January 1877.

Monday, January 8th: Before General Armstrong, Capt. Fletcher, J. Kelcey and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Thomas Adams, a private in the Scots Fusilier Guards, was charged with stealing money from the till of Thomas Wallace.

The prosecutor, who is landlord of the Crown And Anchor Inn, Dover Street, deposed that on Saturday about one o'clock in the afternoon prisoner came to his house and was served with a pint of beer. Witness then left the bar and entered his sitting room. He had scarcely done so when he heard the chink of money and turning round, saw the prisoner with a handful of different coins. He had unlocked the till, in which the key had been left, drawn it out and taken some money from it. Witness said “You rascal. You rob me?” and went round the bar towards him. Prisoner immediately dropped the money, which rolled all over the floor, and attempted to strike witness, but unsuccessfully. Witness, with the aid of a young man whom he called in, prevented the prisoner from escaping and handed him over to the police.

P.C. Hogben proved taking the prisoner into custody in the public bar of the prosecutor's house and told him of the crime of which he was accused, but he made no answer.

Cross-examined by prisoner: There was no money on the floor.

Prisoner in his defence denied that the prosecutor's statement was true.

The Sergeant of the prisoner's Company gave him a very bad character as a soldier. He was often drunk, and absented himself from his Regiment.

Superintendent Wilshere said that on one occasion he found the prisoner in a drunken sleep and absent from the Camp. He took him to his Regiment, and he believed he was tried by a Court enquiry, but he did not know the result.

The Bench sentenced the prisoner to two months' hard labour.


Folkestone Express 21 April 1877.

Saturday, April 14th: Before The Mayor, General Armstrong, Colonel De Crespigny, W.J. Jeffreason Esq., and Alderman Caister.

Philip Cox, a mariner, was summoned for being drunk and disorderly and using obscene language in Dover Street. The prisoner pleaded Guilty.

P.C. Ovenden deposed on Saturday evening he was called to the Raglan Tavern, where he found the prisoner, who then walked out in company with some other men. He had got but a short distance down Dover Road when he fell to the ground. His friends got him up but he immediately fell down again. On both occasions he used offensive and indecent expressions. The prisoner then went into the Crown And Anchor, to which witness was shortly after called to eject him. This he did, and the prisoner was taken home by some friends. Witness said that there had been frequent complaints about the prisoner's conduct and bad language in Dover Street.

The Bench fined the prisoner 5s. and costs for being drunk and disorderly, and 5s. and 8s. costs for using obscene language, the alternative in each case being seven days' hard labour.


Folkestone Express 12 May 1877.

Wednesday, May 9th: Before The Mayor and Alderman Caister.

John Rout, a seaman, was summoned for being drunk and disorderly in Dover Street on the 7th ultimo. The defendant pleaded Guilty.

P.C. Ovenden stated that on the evening of the day in question he saw the defendant in Dover Street in company with another man named Cox. They were both intoxicated and witness saw them fall down. A short time afterwards he was called to the Crown And Anchor Inn to remove the defendant, who was drunk and disorderly. The conduct of the defendant was such that people had to leave the pavement in the endeavour to get out of his way.

The Bench fined the defendant 5s. and costs. The Mayor, in passing sentence, remarked that there were constant complaints of the behaviour of young fellows like the defendant.


Folkestone Chronicle 25 August 1877.

Annual Licensing Day.

On Wednesday the annual licensing sessions were held at the Town Hall, the Magistrates on the Bench being J. Clark Esq. (Chairman), Col. De Crespigny, Ald. Caister, and Capt. Crowe. Complaints were made by the superintendent of police against the Crown And Anchor public house, Dover Street, but after consideration the Bench renewed the license.


Folkestone Express 25 August 1877.

General Licensing Day.

Wednesday, August 22nd: Before Col. De Crespigny, Capt. Crowe, J. Clarke Esq., and Alderman Caister.

Thomas Wallace, of the Crown And Anchor, Dover Street, applied for a renewal of his license. Mr. Minter supported the application.

Superintendent Wilshere opposed on the ground that the applicant harboured prostitutes. He stated that on the afternoon of Sunday, the 29th of July, about four o'clock, he visited the applicant's house and went up to a cottage at the back. He heard a conversation going on and looking in at the window he saw a prostitute named Fanny West, some soldiers, and a civilian, drinking some beer which was on the table.

Cross-examined, the Superintendent said that Mr. Banks had said that the cottage belonged to him, and that the house kept by the applicant belonged to a firm of brewers at Canterbury. Witness did not tell the applicant that he would take his license away, but he did say that he should object to it.

Sergeant Reynolds corroborated the Superintendent's evidence, and Mr. Minter addressed the Bench for the applicant and stated that during the whole twelve months which the applicant had kept the house no complaint had been made against him before. As to the charge of harbouring prostitutes, he remarked that the applicant had summoned two unfortunate girls because they had refused to quit his house, and on the applicant's behalf he denied that he had drawn any beer whatever during prohibited hours.

The applicant was then sworn and he stated that he had kept the Crown And Anchor for fourteen months and had conducted it in an orderly manner. The cottage at the back of the house belonged to Mr. Banks. At the time that he took the house the cottage was occupied by dirty women, and he gave notice to his brewers that unless they cleared it of them he could not continue the house. The cottage and house were separate holdings. The police, he complained, were a great nuisance to him, and interfered in his business by continually watching him. He was standing outside his door one evening when the Superintendent came up and said “You are doing sentry duty”, and on the previous evening he told him that he would take his license away. He did not dare to have a friend in because of the conduct of the police against him.

Witness was then asked two or three questions by the Superintendent with reference to him being owner of the cottages, when Mr. Minter objected to Mr. Wilshere being allowed to do so because the Superintendent was not entitled to appear in the Court as an advocate. In no other Court in the kingdom would such conduct be permitted, and he asked that the questions should be put through the Bench, not by the Superintendent.

The Bench decided that the Superintendent was a complainant, and therefore he had the power to cross-examine the witness.

In answer to a further question put by the Superintendent, witness said that he had let the cottage to a prostitute.

The Bench, in giving their decision, said the Police were quite justified in objecting. They did not wish to take the applicant's license away, but he must understand that he must see that his house was properly conducted.

Captain Crowe said that the Bench granted the license on the understanding that Mr. Wallace promise to conduct his house better in the future.

Mr. Minter said his client must decline making any promise because he had not admitted that he had not acted properly.


Folkestone Express 28 February 1880.

Saturday, February 21st: Before The Mayor, Colonel De Crespigny, and Aldermen Caister and Sherwood.

Minnie Smith was summoned for assaulting Silas Godden on the 15th February. She pleaded Not Guilty.

Complainant, who is the landlord of the Crown And Anchor Inn, Dover Street, said the defendant went to his house about a quarter past six in the evening. She made use of bad language and then left, but returned about ten o'clock and insulted the customers, and struck witness in the face with her fist.

Defendant was fined 5s. and 10s. costs, which she paid.


Folkestone Express 28 August 1880.

Annual Licensing Day.

Wednesday, August 25th: Before The Mayor, Captain Crowe, and Aldermen Caister and Hoad.

The existing licenses were all renewed, the only feature of note being that the Crown And Anchor Inn, Dover Street, with the permission of the Bench, will in future be known as the Granville.




RICHARDSON John Thomas c1845-65 (age 50 in 1861Census) Bagshaw's Directory 1847Bastions

MATTHEWS Daniel 1865-69 Bastions

ASHBY Edward 1869-Apr/70 BastionsWhitstable Times

LONGHURST James Apr/1870-71 BastionsWhitstable Times

HAWES James 1871 Next pub licensee had (age 28 in 1871Census) Bastions

SMITH Edward 1871-74+ Post Office Directory 1874Bastions

THURLOW Albert 1874-75 Bastions

WALLIS Frederick 1875-76 Next pub licensee had Bastions

WALLIS Thomas 1876-77 Next pub licensee had Bastions

GODDEN Silas 1877-80 Bastions

Renamed "Granville Inn."

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

BastionsFrom More Bastions of the Bar by Easdown and Rooney

Whitstable TimesWhitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-



LINK to Even More Tales From The Tap Room