DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Folkestone, June, 2022.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 28 June, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1730

(Name from)

Five Bells

Latest 1769

Near The Rose (Rendezvous Street)

Folkestone

 

Situated near to the "Rose Hotel" at number 24, unfortunately the exact location still remains a mystery.

Formerly the "Two Bells" but the name changed in 1730 after Mary Fox's husband Henry died.

 

Folkestone Sessions Books 1765 – 1779 & 1792 - 1811.

General Sessions 27 April 1767.

Before John Hague (Mayor), Mr. John Jordan, Mr. Thomas Baker, Mr. John Baker, and Mr. Thomas Rolfe.

James Lipscomb, Ric Coveney, John Milton the elder, John Milton the younger, Henry Barber, Thomas Golder, George Parker, Cassell Burwell, and Samuel Wicks were fined each for continuing drinking and tippling in an alehouse in the township, which fines were paid to the poor.

Elizabeth Pilcher, widow, Jane Fox, widow, Anne Gittens, widow, and William Cressey were fined 10/- apiece for suffering persons to continue drinking and tippling in their houses, which fines were given to the poor.

Notes: Elizabeth Pilcher PROBABLY widow of at King's Arms. Not listed in More Bastions. Jane Fox, Five Bells. Anne Gittens, "North Foreland." William Cressey, "Red Cow."

 

LICENSEE LIST

FOX Mary 1730-35 Bastions

FOX Robert 1735-65 Bastions

FOX Jane 1765-69 Bastions

 

BastionsFrom More Bastions of the Bar by Easdown and Rooney

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to Even More Tales From The Tap Room