Sort file:- Dover, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1839-

Horse and Jockey

Latest 1846+

New Street



Present in 1839 and James Timan from 1840-45. James went on to take the "Three Tuns" and I also have notes of a James Timan at the "Evening Star" as well, but do not now whether this is the same as a passage in the Dover Telegraph, dated 22 January 1848 gives notice of his death and states the following:-


All persons having any claims or demands on the Estate of JAMES TIMAN, late of the "Horse and Jocky" and "Three Tuns," Dover, are requested to transmit the same to our Office forthwith, that they may be inspected.


Solicitor, Dover

Solicitors to the Administratrix.

Jan, 22, 1848.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 14 December, 1839.


MONDAY. Michael Collins, charged by J. Timen, of the "Horse and Jockey," with stealing a great coat and handkerchief. It appeared in evidence that the prisoner had entered Mr. Catchpole's premises ion the Saturday evening, and purloined the articles above mentioned. He brought the bundle to the house of Mr. Timen, and changed his apparel. Mr. Timen imagining all was not right, applied to Police Constable Hogben, who took the things to Mr. Catchpole, by whom they were identified as his property, and had been taken from his shop on the same evening. The prisoner, in a hobbling defence, said, as he was standing by the door of the above house, a woman passing by asked him to put her bundle in the bar!

Committed for trial. 


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 14 November, 1840.


FRIDAY, NOV 5. - James Timan, landlord of the "Horse and Jockey," charged by W. B. Mowll, with using threatening language, &c. Bound over to keep the peace, &c. himself and two sureties, in 20 each.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 12 December, 1840. Price 5d.

On Sunday evening last some person or persons entered the bar of the "Horse and Jockey," beer house, and stole a basin, containing 7s. 6d., in copper money. On the following day some linen that was hung out to dry at the same house was carried off.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 28 January, 1843. Price 5d.


Monday: James Timan, landlord of the "Horse and Jockey," in New Street, was charged with having assaulted Elizabeth Stepney, a lodger in his house, and the case being proved, he was fined 17s. including costs, which he paid.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 22 June, 1844. Price 5d.


Considerable excitement prevailed in the town on Wednesday morning, in consequence of a report that a woman named Mary, alias Julia McCarthy, had been murdered at the "Horse and Jockey" public-house by a man named Cockering, with whom she cohabited.

At 4 o'clock in the afternoon an inquest was held on the body, at the "Rose Inn," Biggin-street, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., coroner for the borough, and the following jury:- Messrs. T. Robinson, (foreman,) R. W. Bennett, W. Cotterell, J. Debenham, J. Proctor, W. Worger, G. Killick, W. Metcalf, R. Page, W. Thistleton, T. H. Eastes, J. Bates, A. Bottle, G. B. Batcheller, and J. B. Batchellor.

Previous to swearing the jury Mr. Bottle claimed exemption, as being a member of the Royal Veterinary College, but the Coroner replied that that was not an exemption from serving on a Coroner's Jury.

The jury were then sworn, and proceeded to the "Horse and Jockey," in New-street, to view the body, and on their return the following evidence was adduced in the presence of the prisoner, who was in custody of Superintendent Corrall:-

Ann Goodwin, hawker of needles &c. wife of Richard Goodwin, labourer, being sworn, deposed, I am now living at the "Horse and Jockey." I arrived in Dover on Saturday last. I have before seen the deceased at the Windmill lodging house, at Dartford, about eight weeks since; the prisoner was there with her. I do not know what there business was, but the woman told me her husband was a coachsmith. Deceased and the man arrived in Dover on Sunday about 12 o'clock, and put up at the "Horse and Jockey," where they took dinner, and appeared very comfortable; there they had some beer together and went to bed. I slept in the same room as them. On Monday morning they got up, and after breakfast went out together. They came back at about two o'clock, when both appeared worse for liquor. Deceased held her apron up to her mouth. Prisoner said she had taken too much to drink, and had been abusing him. Deceased said, "No, I have not been abusing him; he has had work at Deal for a fortnight, and I wanted him with the money to buy me a pair of boots and some meat, and not so much beer." He then struck her with his fists on each side of the head, upon which she made use of bad language towards him. He then kicker her two or three times on the thighs as she sat on the form in the kitchen. She then got up from the seat and went across to the kitchen. Prisoner followed her, and demanded the money she had of his. She refused to give it up, and bad language was used on both sides. He tried to get the money from her, and a struggle ensued, and as I was leaving the kitchen she had the fender up to strike him, but I did not see her strike him. He had hold of her, and knocked her head several times on the dresser. I then went out, and on my return saw deceased with the kitchen fender in her hands, as if to strike him. prisoner then went out into the yard and fell asleep. Deceased then had some beer, and afterwards asked me to go out with her to buy a piece of mutton to make some broth, saying she thought it would do both good. On our return we met Cockering, and bad language ensued. He took the money from her, but no blows were then struck. I made some broth for them, and then went out. On my return, about 5 o'clock, they had taken their suppers, when deceased complained of being ill from drink, and went to bed. I do not know if he want to bed with her. I went to bed in the same room about 10 o'clock, and saw her in bed with him. Nothing passed during the night, but on Tuesday morning, about 7 o'clock, there were some words; he was scolding her, but did not strike her. He got up, leaving her in bed, as she had complained to him several times that she was to ill to get up. I then dressed, and went down stairs. On going back to the room, about 10 o'clock, I saw he in bed. While occupied in sewing, the deceased got up, and reached partly out of bed, complaining of her head; and while in that attitude she fell forward, as if in a fit. I going to her I found her senseless. I lifted her into bed, and went down to get some water. Cockering was in the kitchen, and I asked him to go up to her, but he refused, saying he would not go if it was her last gasp. I went back, and as I was unwell laid down on the bed. During that time Cockering came up several times, and insisted on the deceased getting up, but she said she was too unwell. About 2 o'clock he came up again, and asked if she was going to lie in bed all day. She said she meant to get up. He stood at the side of the bed a long time scolding her. She kept saying she was going to g up, but did not do so. He threatened to drag her out of bed, and at length took up a stick, which was lying in the room, and struck her twice across the bed. I said to him, "Leave her alone; she is not well enough to get up." He told me to mind my own business, and not interfere. [Prisoner: You are on your oath, mind.] She then got up, Cockering remained in the room. She was a long time dressing, and appeared to be ill. When dressed she sat on the side of the bed, and Cockering then took hold of her arms and forced her out of the room. There were no blows struck. I remained in bed till about 3 or 4 o'clock, and then went down into the kitchen, where both were sitting quietly on each side of the fire. She took a cup of coffee, which appeared to do her good. I then went out to sell my goods, and on my return, between 8 or 9, a woman in the kitchen told me the poor creature was dying. I went up to the bed-room and found deceased in bed in a senseless state. I remained up with her the whole of the night, and till she died, which was about 5 o'clock. I put mustard poultices on her feet. A surgeon was called to her about 9 o'clock. He came several times, and was very attentive. He said she was in a dying state. [The stick was here produced.] When the surgeon came he said the woman could not live, and desired Cockering to be taken into custody, and Tyman, the landlord, took him to the station-house.

In reply to a question by Mr. Bennett, witness explained that during the scuffle to get the money Cockering took the woman by the throat, and knocked her head on the table.

By Mr. Robinson: When they went to bed on Sunday night they were not sober, but appeared very comfortable and jocular together. She did not complain of her head after the blows.

By the prisoner: I was in the kitchen when you struck her head on the dresser, but I did not see her strike you with the fender.

George Edward Rutley, surgeon, of Dover, being sworn, deposed - Last evening, about 9 o'clock, prisoner called at my house, requesting me to see his wife. I made enquiries as to the nature of her illness, but his replies were not satisfactory. He only said she was cold. I then went to the "Horse and Jockey," and saw the woman. She was in bed, quite insensible, and appeared in  very dangerous state. The brain was evidently affected from some cause. Some people in the house told me that she had been severely thrashed. There was a discolouration of the right eyelid, and marks, apparently of finger nails, on the left ear, and some slight scratches about the throat. Thinking there was every probability that the woman would die, I directed the landlord to take the man (Cockering) to the police station, and give him in charge. I gave her some medicine, and saw her again about half-past 10 o'clock. She did not appear to have rallied. I ordered some further remedies to be applied, and saw her again about 12, when she appeared somewhat rallied. I took some blood from her arm, and gave directions as to her treatment during the night. I have not seen her since, and I am not prepared to state the cause of death, further than that to the best of my belief it was from pressure to the brain. I did not see any fractures on the head.

The Coroner observed - After this evidence it is necessary to adjourn for the purpose of having a post mortem examination of the body, and the inquest was adjourned till the following morning at 10 o'clock.


At 10 o'clock on Thursday morning, the jury having reassembled, the examination of Mr. Rutley was continued:-

Last night, from my opinion the death was caused by pressure on the brain, I opened the head of deceased, and found that opinion fully verified by the effusion of a large quantity of blood over the surface of the brain. There were no external marks of bruises on the scalp, and no other contusions beyond what I stated yesterday. The effusion of blood arose from the rupture of a blood vessel on the brain, which might arise from natural causes. Had it arisen from blows, or violence, it is most likely there would have been injury to the integuments, but that is not absolutely necessary. From what I have ascertained I judge the rupture of the vessel to have taken place sometime previous to her death, and that the blood gradually effused upon the brain until it caused death.

By the Foreman: There were other medical gentlemen present with me when I made the post mortem examination.

By Mr. Bennett: Passion or excitement would produce rupture of a vessel on the brain.

By the Coroner: Intemperance alone, on the part of the deceased, might have produced the rupture of the blood vessel.

By Mr. Bottle: It is possible that if deceased had been kept quiet she might have recovered, but it is improbable she would have done so. Forcing her out of bed, ad subjecting her to exertion in the state she was in, would be highly prejudicial to the disease.

The Coroner then inquired of the jury if, after the unsatisfactory evidence of the surgeon, as connecting the prisoner with the cause of the woman's death, they would proceed further with the examination of the witness?

The foreman said he considered it necessary to have further evidence of the violence used by the prisoner.

The Coroner replied, that if any one of the jury required further evidence, it was his duty to proceed with the case, and the following witnesses were called:-

Elizabeth Jackson, wife of W. Jackson, labourer, deposed: I have been in Dover nine weeks, living at the "Horse and Jockey." I first saw deceased on Sunday, when she came to the house with Cockering. They appeared very comfortable together. Deceased was worse for liquor on that day. I saw them again on Monday morning, about ten o'clock, when they went out together to buy a pair of boots. At that time deceased was sober, and both appeared on good terms. They both returned about one o'clock; deceased was holding her shawl to her mouth, which was bleeding. She said prisoner had been ill-using her for asking him to buy some meat. He said he had not, and that he had given her some drink, and she had been abusing him in the street. She did not then appear the worse for drink. She said she wanted something to eat, as she had not had a good mean for three months. Abusive language took place, when Cockering kicked her twice, and struck her twice with his fist on the head with violence; one blow blacked her eye. He sat down, and deceased crossed the kitchen abusing him, on which he went to her, and asked her for his money. She refused to give it up, and kicked at him. He endeavoured to get the money out of her pocket, but did not see him get it. She kicked at him, when he forced her back over the table, took her by the throat with both hands, and beat her head with violence three or four times on the table. I then went out to call the landlord, as I thought the man would kill her. They were both in a great passion, and deceased was more abusing than Cockering. I returned immediately with the bar-man, and found them both sitting down quietly together. Deceased did not complain of her head being hurt, but said her thigh was very painful. Cockering fell asleep on the table, and slept about an hour, during which time deceased drank two pints of beer, which appeared to affect her. When prisoner awake he did not say anything to her, and went into the yard. Deceased and another woman went out, and returned in about 20 minutes with some meat, which the woman cooked, and both had their supper very comfortably together. She appeared much the worse for liquor when she returned with the meat. I did not see any drunk while at supper, and they both went to bed shortly afterwards. I did not hear her complain of her head, nor did I see her fall down on that day. I did not see deceased again till Tuesday afternoon, when I went up stairs to her room, as I heard that Cockering had been ill using her. On entering I saw deceased sitting up in bed, trying to get her clothes on. Cockering was at the foot of the bed, with a stick in his hand, but I did not see him ill use her. I assisted her to dress, as she appeared very unwell. She did not complain of anything in particular being the matter. When I had dressed her, in which Cockering assisted, I left the room. Deceased was then sitting on the bed-side and Cockering was standing by her. I did not hear any harsh language used by Cockering, who said her illness was the effect of drink, as she was always unwell after it. I heard no scuffling on the stairs, and I saw them soon afterwards having a pint of beer together. She drank no more to my knowledge than part of that pint during the day. She appeared very unwell, but did not complain. About dusk she became very sick, and would have fallen from the seat if she had not been caught by a man who was present. I went to her, and the man of the house carried her upstairs. She was unable to walk, and appeared to have lost the use of her limbs. She did not speak; and on being put in bed she closed her eyes, and appeared to be insensible. Cockering came up soon after, and then went for a surgeon, who came directly. I then left her, and did not see her till about a quarter of an hour before she died, on Wednesday morning, quarter to 5 o'clock.

By the Foreman: When the blows were struck deceased did not stagger or fall. She appeared a very delicate woman.

John Wayling - I am a carpenter and joiner by trade, but do not now follow it, and roam the country for a living. I arrived at Dover on Monday, and went to the "Horse and Jockey" about 10 o'clock at night. I did not see deceased or the prisoner that night. I slept in the same room, and saw them in bed together in the morning. When I got up Cockering had gone down stairs, but the woman remained in bed. In the afternoon I went up stairs to lie down. In about half an hour Cockering came up, and several times told the woman to get up. She said she was not able to get up. He called her a drunken -----, and then too a stick, with which he struck twice across the bed, but I cannot say whether he hit deceased or not. At the time the blows were struck deceased cried out "Oh don't." In about a quarter of an hour she got up in bed, and with difficulty tried to put her clothes on. When deceased she laid down on another bed, from which Cockering pulled her off by the arm or waist, and pushed her out of the room with some force, but I did not see any blows struck. He abused her, and said it was only because she had been drinking, and pushed her out of the room. I did not think much of the occurrence at the time, as I supposed the woman was only suffering from drink. When I went down into the kitchen in the afternoon deceased came in and sat on the form. Sometime after she fell forward with her head on the form. She did not fall heavily, and put something under her head, and laid down on the form. After a little while she sat up, and I then left the house. On my return, about 11 o'clock, I saw deceased in bed, attended by some women, who said she was dying.

Thomas Johnson, shoemaker, deposed - I am at present roaming about the country, and came to Dover on Friday week, and am living at the "Horse and Jockey." I saw Cockering and deceased come into the house about 1 o'clock on Sunday. They appeared comfortable together, and had some beer between them. The woman was not sober, and both seemed something the worse for drink. They came down stairs about 9 o'clock on Monday morning .when they were joking together, and had a pint of beer between them with breakfast, after which they left the house together. They came back about 1 o'clock. She had her apron to her mouth, and her lip was bleeding, and Cockering said to me "There's a pretty woman for you; after I have taken her out and given her plenty to drink, then she must abuse me in the street." She replied, "No I did not abuse you," and then began using very foul language, whereupon prisoner struck her with his open hand on the side of the head. She continued her abuse, and he struck her two more blows, as hard as he could, with his hand; but I did not see if his hand was open or not. Deceased still abused him, and he kicked her on the thigh. She then went over the other side of the kitchen, when he kicked her again. She said she would take care he should not kick her again. He replied "then give me the money you have got belonging to me," which she refused to do, and prisoner again struck deceased a violent blow on the side of the head. She still refused to give him the money, when a scuffle took place between them, and I left the room. The woman was struck when she came into the room, and was in a great passion during the scuffle. I returned in about three minutes, and then saw Cockering sitting on one side of the kitchen and deceased on the other. Cockering laid his head on the table and slept for about an hour, during which time she had 2 pints of beer, but she gave some to those present. I think she drank about two glasses. About 2 o'clock on Tuesday afternoon, hearing a scuffle in the bed room, I went up and saw Cockering standing at the foot of the bed with a stick in his hand, but I did not see him use it. My child was on one of the beds, and I laid down beside it, during which time Cockering several times told her to get up, but she said she was to ill and unable to do so. Some time after she did get up and with assistance dressed herself. She then sat down on the side of the bed. Cockering asked her what she was sitting there for, and told her to go down stairs. She said she could not, and he took her by the shoulders and led her towards the door, when he gave her a slight kick, but not one of any consequence. They went down stairs quietly together. I remained on the bed to get the child asleep, and then went down stairs and saw them both in the wash-house. They remained there about half an hour and then went into the bar, when Cockering went out into the town leaving the woman in the house. She had a cup of coffee, and about half an hour afterwards she was sick and would have fallen if a man had not caught her. One of the women bathed her head with some water, but as she did not recover, and was senseless, she was, by the direction of Tyman, carried up stairs and put to bed. I slept in the same room, and my wife and another woman remained with deceased till her death.

Ann Goodwill recalled: I believe, from a conversation I had with deceased on Monday, that her age was about 34. When I went out with deceased to buy the mutton we had we had only one pint of beet between us.

The prisoner Cockering, after being duly cautioned by the Coroner, was asked if he had any statement to make, when he said - "I was very partial to the woman, and did not intend her any harm, and don't think I did so."

The Coroner then summed up the evidence at great length, and said that there was nothing to proved which would constitute the crime of wilful murder. The case was one of great difficulty; and the evidence of Mr. Rutley, the surgeon, was of the least importance as connecting the cause of death with the prisoner, of which there was great doubt, but that question must be left to the consideration of the Jury.

The jury were then left in charge of Superintendent Correll, and after a deliberation of an hour and a half returned the following verdict:-

"That the deceased, Mary, alias Julia McCarthy, died from rupture of a blood vessel of the brain; and that her death was accelerated by the violence and ill treatment she received at the hands of John Cockering.

The Coroner, on receiving the verdict, said he had very great doubts if it was not tantamount to one of Manslaughter; but as it was a matter of great importance relative to the prisoner, he should wish to give further consideration, and as it would be necessary to draw up a special caption, he should adjourn the inquest till 8 o'clock.

At the above hour the Coroner announced to the Jury that he had deeply considered the matter, in conjunction with Messrs. Ledger and Kennett, by whom his opinion had been strengthened, that the verdict returned was in effect one on Manslaughter. He had therefore prepared a special caption, which being read was, after some comments thereon, signed by the jury.

The prisoner was then brought into the room, and fully committed to Maidstone Gaol to take his trial, at the ensuing assizes, on the charge of "Manslaughter." The investigation lasted nearly 11 hours.

Yesterday the deceased was interred in St. Martin's churchyard in this town, and the prisoner was conveyed, in charge of the police to Maidstone.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 4 October, 1845. Price 5d.


Mary Ann Chandler, Maria Foster, and Richard Smith, charged with stealing a watch, the property of William Maycock, of Elham, carpenter. Prosecutor, who appeared to be about 70 years of age, deposed: On Thursday afternoon, about two o'clock, the girl Chandler passed me in Queen Street, and asked me to treat her to a pint of beer. I refused to do so, but she followed me to the “Royal Oak,” when I consented, and went with her to the “Price of Orange” in New Street, where we went into the back parlour and had a pint of beer. She then began to pull me about, and I left the house after drinking a glass of beer. On arriving at the “Red Cow,” I missed my watch, which was previously safe in my pocket. I then returned, and met Chandler and Foster together in New Street. I asked them for my watch, when Chandler abused me, and said she had not got it. They went into the “Horse and Jockey.” I then proceeded to the station house to give the information of the robbery.

Superintendent Correll stated that he went with the prosecutor to the “Horse and Jockey,” and, finding the woman had left, proceeded on the Folkestone Road, where he overtook the three prisoners in company and took them into custody, but could find no trace of the watch.

James Tilman, landlord of the “Horse and Jockey,” deposed that on hearing of the robbery he made enquiries in the house, when Foster said that Chandler and Smith had been fools enough to show the watch in the kitchen.

Remanded till Monday.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 26 February, 1848. Price 5d.


John Beetes, labourer, remanded from Monday last, appeared to answer a charge of stealing a pump and about 12 feet of lead pipe, from the yard of Mr. George Gray, pork butcher, in Biggin Street.

Mr. Gray stated that he had a pump and lead pipes laying in his yard. On the 13th instant the pipe was stolen, and on the following Saturday night or Sunday morning, the pump was also stolen.

John James Timen stated the prisoner, some time since, lodged at the "Horse and Jockey," during which time a quantity of lead was stolen from the roof. The place could not be reached, from the entrance, without a ladder, and the only way on the roof was from the window of prisoner's bedroom. Hearing of Mr. Gray's robbery, he suspected prisoner, and gave information of the same.

Benjamin Robbins, a lodger at the "Three Tuns," deposed that on Sunday morning, the 13th instant, about nine o'clock, prisoner was in the yard, and asked if the person next door was a plumber, to which witness replied "No, he was a pork butcher." Prisoner observed how easy it would be to take away the lead pipe lying in his (Mr. Gray's) yard. On the following morning he heard that the lead had been stolen.

Police-constable Scutt deposed that having information of the robbery, and suspecting prisoner, he took him in custody at the "Three Tuns," on Sunday evening. On examining the footmarks in the yard, they were found to correspond exactly with the shoes prisoner then wore, particularly the heel of one which had a nail different, and a large dent in the leather.

The room was then cleared, and after a consultation of about ten minutes, the Mayor stated that, although the Bench had little doubt prisoner had committed the robbery, yet they did not consider the evidence sufficiently conclusive (the property not having been traced) to warrant a committal and dismissed the charge, with a caution that prisoner would, for the future, be closely watched by the police.



Incidentally, the same street had another pub in it with an equestrian theme. According to Joe Harman from 1613 in Biggin Street and the corner of New Street, there used to be a pub called the "Horseshoe". This later became the "Saracens Head Inn" by 1771 and eventually ended up as the Levere Temperance Hotel. I wonder why the horse connection was in this street.



TIMAN James 1840-45 Next pub licensee had (age 30 in 1841Census)

HARTLEY Henry 1846+ Dover Telegraph


Dover TelegraphFrom the Dover Telegraph



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-