DOVER KENT ARCHIVES
PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1780

Jolly Sailor

Latest 1822

(Name to)

Dover Hill

Folkestone

 

Not sure when this one was built but in 1780 it ran under this name, in 1822 it changed name to the "Valiant Sailor."

There was another "Jolly Sailor" found in Folkestone in the 1832 Pigot's directory, but by this time, this one had changed names.

 

From the Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal 07 September 1819.

Valuable Brewery free public houses and other Estates to be sold by auction by Mrs White without reserve.

Lot 32. A Messuage called the "Jolly Sailor," with the stable, lodge, yard, garden, and appurtenances, situate on the top of Folkestone Hill, in Folkestone aforesaid, and now in the occupation of William Major.

N.B. This lot is held by lease under the Right Honourable the Earl of Radnor, for the residue of a term of 61 years from Michaelmas 1786, at 2s. 6d. per annum.

 

LICENSEE LIST

BAKER Thomas 1780-87 Bastions

TIMS John 1787-1819 Bastions

MAJOR William 1819+

 

BastionsFrom More Bastions of the Bar by Easdown and Rooney

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to Even More Tales From The Tap Room