Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Monday, 27 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1861-

New Endeavour

Latest Oct 1969

132 London Road (Buckland Street 1861Census)


New Endeavour advert 1900

Above advert, circa 1900. Kindly sent by Kevin Thorp.

New Endeavour

Above photo of  where New Endeavour used to be circa 1995.

New Endeavour 2003

One time New Endeavour in 2003.

New Endeavour 2007

Above photo by Paul Skelton 6 Oct 2007.

New Endeavour 2010

Above photograph by Paul Skelton, 9 April 2010.

Endeavour Cottages 2015

Above photo December 2015, kindly sent by Simon Draper who says the building is now called Endeavour Cottages. Well, it had to happen, another pub turned into flats.


An outlet of Gardner which passed to Whitbread. The spirit licence was issued in 1863.

Simon Draper gives me the following information:- The recent history as I’m aware is the Abbot family ran a hardware/general store. It was then leased to Connexxions who are a charitable organisation helping young people into work.

A new CEO Sean Kearnes gave notice on several sites Connexxions occupied including the Dover office. The Abbot family decided to auction the property.

‘We, SD Property Management Ltd acquired the property for 145,000. We spent in respect of 250,000 renovating the building into 4 x 3 bedroom houses. The building is named Endeavour Cottages as a nod to its past usage. The building has now been given a new lease of life albeit as family homes but hopefully the residents support the remaining licensed establishments in the locality.’


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 12 September, 1863.


A spirit license was granted to Charles Eastes, of the "New Endeavour," Buckland.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 1 May, 1868.


James Barton was charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct at the "New Endeavour Inn," Buckland, and with wilfully breaking the panel of a door, value 5s.

Mr. East said: Yesterday afternoon prisoner and several others came to my house and began to be very noisy. I ordered them out, and they broke the door. Prisoner came back and offered to pay for it.

The prisoner was fined 5s. for being drunk and disorderly, and ordered to pay 5s. for the damage, with costs; amounting in all to 16s.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 7 January, 1887. Price 1d.


Before Dr. Barton (Chairman) and F. S. Peirce, Esq.

Thomas Philpott, a shoe maker, of Buckland, was placed in the dock, having been apprehended that morning, charged with stealing from the till at the “New Endeavour Inn,” Buckland, 2s. 6d. and a quantity of bronze money, the property of the landlord, Mr. Isaac Stephen Clayson.

Alma Strand, living with the prosecutor and his wife, at the “New Endeavour,” said: About 7.30 this morning prisoner came into the house. He called for half a pint of beer. I served him. No one else was in the bar. I went into the room adjoining the bar whilst prisoner was drinking. I thought I heard the till being opened. I then returned to the bar and saw prisoner looking out of the window. I returned back to the room without looking in the till. I went out into the scullery and again heard rattling of money. I went back into the bar and saw the prisoner in the act of getting off the counter. He was leaning over to where the till was. I asked him if he had been to the till, and he said that he had not. I told him he had and that I should not let him go out until given in charge. I then locked the door. I had to open the door to let a boy in, when the prisoner ran out. I clung on to him, but slipped down, and he got away. I then returned indoors. I examined the till and found only 5s. 9d. The till had been cleared overnight, and 10s. put in this morning. The prisoner paid me 1d. for the beer and the 1d. I had taken from another man previously.

Isaac Styephen Clayson, landlord of the “New Endeavour,” Buckland, said: After closing last night I took the takings from the till, and left 10s for change for today. The money consisted of 5s. in coppers, six sixpences, and two single shillings. From what the last witness told me this morning about 7.30, I went to the till and found 5s. 9d., consisting of five sixpenny pieces and the remainder in coppers. I then went in search of the prisoner with Police-constable Fox, and found hi at the “Three Cups.” I charged him with stealing 4s. 5d. from my till. He denied it. He was taken into custody about 8.30. prisoner spent 3s. at the “Three Cups” public house.

Police-Constable Fox (D.27) said: This morning, about 8.30, the last witness came to me, and from what he told me I accompanied him in search of the prisoner, and found him at the “Three Cups.” I told him that I should take him into custody and charge him with stealing 4s. 5d. from the till of the “New Endeavour.” He said, “You are truing to take a rise out of me.” I then took him to the Police Station. I ascertained that the prisoner had a pint of beer and a penny worth of gin at the “Three Cups.” On searching the prisoner at the Police Station I found a 2s. piece and 6d. in the lining of his hat, 1s. and d. in his left hand pocket, and 1d. in his right hand pocket.

Prisoner pleaded “Not Guilty.”

In reply to the Magistrates, the Superintendent said that the prisoner lived next door to the “Bull Inn” and was a boot and shoe repairer.

The Magistrates considered the case proved against the prisoner and sentenced him to one month's imprisonment with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 23 August, 1878


Charles Foster and James Gammon, privates belonging to the 2nd Battalion, 6th Regiment, were charged with stealing from a shop, No. 7, London Road, Buckland, 20lbs. of cheese, of the value 10s., the property of James Frederick Howard.

James Frederick Howard said: I am a grocer, carrying on business in London Road, Buckland. The piece of cheese now produced is my property. It was lying on the counter. Last night, about five minutes to ten, I was behind my counter writing, when I heard a noise and on looking up I saw the prisoner Foster in the act of taking the piece of cheese away, and directly he saw me he walked out of the shop taking it with him. I went after him and he put the piece of cheese on the ground close by the shop. I gave information to the Police and afterwards saw the two prisoners at the Police-station where I preferred the charge. There was another piece of cheese missing but I did not miss that at first. The two pieces of cheese weighed about 20lbs., and the value is 10s. I am sure Foster was the man I saw in my shop. The other prisoner was outside, and they both went away together up the road.

William Frederick East said: I live at the “New Endeavour,” Buckland, which is kept by my father. Last night, about ten minutes past ten, the two prisoners came into the bar. Foster had a piece of cheese weighing about 12lbs., and asked me if I would buy it. I told him I did not want his cheese and he had better go out. Foster then asked me to give him some beer for it. I refused to do so and the prisoners went away taking the cheese with them. About a quarter-of-an-hour later they returned. They had no cheese then. They called for some beer, but my father – who was behind the bar at the time – refused to serve them. Just then Police-constable Cadman came in and charged them with breaking some windows. He took their belts and they went away. I saw them again outside when they where charged with stealing the cheese. Foster went quietly, but I saw Gammon kick and strike at one of the Constables who was assisting.
Police-constable Cadman said: last night, about 10 o'clock, I was on duty in the London Road, when my attention was called to Mr. Howard, the grocer, who told me that two soldiers had stolen some cheese from his shop. I went after them and met the two prisoners coming down the road by the “Bull Inn.” I let them pass and then I followed them and saw Gammon put his stick through two panes of glass at Mrs. Harman's. They then went into Mr. East's, the “New Endeavour,” where I stopped them and took their belts and charged them with breaking the glass. They went back with me to Mrs. Harman's and paid her for the windows in my presence, and in consequence I gave them back their belts. Mr. East afterwards told me that the prisoners had been offering a piece of cheese at his house, and in consequence of that I went after the prisoners and told them I should take them into custody on suspicion of stealing a piece of cheese from Mr. Howard's. they refused to go and I sent for assistance, and Police-constable Edmunds and Blakely came and we took them to the Police-station. Gammon was very violent and kicked Edmunds in the back six or seven times. On the way to the Station Foster said to Gammon, “Never mind chum, we had a good gut full of cheese, and sold the rest for a shilling.”

The Officer in attendance said Foster bore a fait character and Gammon a bad one.

Prisoner pleaded “Guilty” to the charge, and the bench sentenced them to three months' imprisonment with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 3 January, 1882. Price 1d.


We regret to hear that Mr. Stephens, (sic) landlord of the “Old Endeavour Inn,” (sic) Buckland, committed suicide this morning by cutting his throat.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 15 September, 1882. Price 1d.


Considerable excitement occurred at Buckland on Saturday afternoon last by the report of a horrible and shocking case of suicide, that had taken place. Report of firearms were heard in the direction of the Old Park Road, and on proceeding there it was found that a man, afterwards described as being an officer's servant, of the name of John West, was lying in a pool of blood under an elderberry tree, with a pistol firmly clasped in his right hand, and with every appearance of having committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. A constable arrived shortly after the discovery of the body, and on examining it he found that the right side of the head, including the ear, had been completely blown away, apparently by the pistol which was so firmly clasped in the right hand of the deceased. Lying on the side of the deceased was a pistol case, containing several bullets and a quantity of powder and caps. The first notice that was taken of the man was at the “New Endeavour,” where he called for refreshment, remaining about three quarters of an hour, and during that time it is supposed that he loaded the pistol, some powder being afterwards found on the ground near where he sat. The manager of the “New Endeavour” spoke to the deceased, who seemed very depressed in spirits, and answered in a very low tone, but kept continually turning over and over a case which he had in a red handkerchief. He was seen to leave the house quite sober, and then proceeded to the Old Park Road, and on arriving near a large tree he sat down. The deceased was next seen by a greengrocer who was driving by the tree, when he saw the deceased fire the pistol downwards, as if he were testing it. The greengrocer took no particular notice, but drove on and saw no more of the deceased. A second shot was heard shortly after, but no notice was taken of it. A few minutes later the deceased was found by a waggoner's mate, who was riding home to dinner, and on assistance arriving the body was taken to the dead-house.

On Monday afternoon at four o'clock an inquest was held at the “Union Hotel,” Commercial Quay, before the Borough Surveyor (S. Payne, Esq.) The Jury consisted of the following gentleman:-Messrs. T. Holloway (foreman), A. Laird, W. Tutt, W. Young, E. Groombridge, W. Hard, H. F. Edwin, R. Easton, C. Hatton, J. R. Geddes, J. Ralph, B. Simmonds, W. Webb, J. Baker, and D. Hambrook.

The body, the head of which was a horrible sight to see, having been viewed at the dead-house, the following evidence was taken.

Colour-sergeant James Loma, of the Royal Irish Rifles, said: I have seen the body of the deceased at the dead-house, and identify it as the body of a private in H Company of Royal Irish Rifles, and his name is John West. He was 38 years of age. I last saw him alive at about eight o'clock on the 5th instant. His health was generally good, and he did not seem in any way depressed. At the latter part of last month he was in hospital, having injured his arm. He had been twenty years in the services. He has been a married man for about fifteen years, and I have never heard of him quarrelling with his wife or anyone.

By the Jury: It is twelve years ago since he was taken before an officer for any crime whatever. He was a very steady sober man.

George Alfred East, said: I manage the business of the “New Endeavour” public-house, Buckland, for my sister. I have been to the dead-house and have seen the body of the deceased, and I recognise it as that of a man who came to my house on Saturday at about one o'clock. He called for a pint of beer and something to eat. I served him and gave him some bread and cheese, and he ate the latter but left half the beer. He remained in the house for about three-quarters of an hour. He looked very pale and low in spirits, and seemed depressed. When I returned to the bar to give the deceased the change for a two shilling piece I saw that he had a red coloured handkerchief, which contained a box, and which he turned over and over in his hands. The box produced appears to be the same. The deceased left my house, and about twenty-five minutes after a man came running down the street and said that the man who had been in my house had shot himself. I ran further up the road, and saw the deceased in a cart near Mr. Brett's farm. I went back to the tap-room and saw on the ground near where the deceased had sat a small quantity of powder.

By the Jury: The deceased was perfectly sober when I served him, and also when he left. He spoke in a very low tone, and as if he were suffering from some trouble.

James Pilgrim, greengrocer and coal dealer, carrying on business at St. Radigund's Road, said: On Saturday, at about a quarter to two o'clock, I was going round the houses at the rear of the “Three Cups Inn,” Buckland, and about fifty yards distance I saw a man sitting down on the grass under a tree in the Old Park Road, and on approaching him he fired a pistol off, which frightened my horse. I drove on and on passing him he was loading it again, ramming it down as fast as he could. I never heard another report. I went on with my horse and cart and served my customers. There was only a little child near, and that was along the road some yards near Mr. Coleman's garden wall.

By the Jury: I had no idea of his shooting although the pistol was pointed down the road towards me, but it was pointed to the ground. I saw that he had something like bullets or marbles.

William Booth, waggoner's mate in the employ of Mr. Brett, of Buckland Farm, said: I was riding down the Old park Road at about five minutes past two o'clock, when I saw at the top of the new cross road leading to Old Park a man lying on the bank dead. He had a pistol clasped in his right hand, and as someone came along I told them to fetch assistance. I saw that the back of his head was blown away. I had come from the fields, and when by horse saw the body it threw me off its back, and would not keep near it. I went on, and after giving information, went home.

Police-constable D. Fox, said: I was on duty in the London Road, Buckland, at about a quarter past two o'clock on Saturday last, when from information I received I went to the old Park Road and saw the deceased, who was lying on his back, with his legs crossed, and a pistol in his right hand, which was on his breast. He was lying in a pool of blood, and the back of his head was completely blown away, and I sent for a doctor, obtaining a cart, and brought the body to the dead-house. The box produced laid near his feet, and it contained four bullets, some loose powder, gun caps, and other articles. I searched the body and found 5s. 8d. in money, two sick reports and bill, and a lawn ticket for a watch and chain pledged on the same day for 12s. at Messrs. Hart and Co. pawnbrokers.

By the Jury: A gentleman in a cab gave me the information of the deceased's death. I don't know where the pistol was obtained, no one appears to have missed one. It is a very old fashioned pistol.

Mr. Clement Walter, surgeon to the Police, said: I was called on Saturday last at a few minutes before three o'clock to go and see the body of the deceased at the dead-house. I found that the deceased had sustained a frightful wound in the head, which must have caused instantaneous death. I know the deceased very well, and he was under my care in the military hospital through a broken arm. It was about a month ago, and he was discharged cured, apparently very well, and that was about a week before this occurred. He was always a silent man. He was the servant to the colonel, and did not lose his place on account of the accident. He had four good conduct stripes, and his wife did the regimental washing, and appeared to be better off than the majority of the soldiers' wives. The colonel liked the man very much. I believe the wound might have been inflicted by the deceased himself. He must have put the pistol close to his ear, for the ear was blown entirely away, and there was a large hole on the side of his head. He has left five children.

The Jury returned a verdict that the deceased committed suicide while in an unsound mind.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 8 January 1887.

A Plucky Barmaid.

At the Police Court on Tuesday a shoemaker name Philpott, the occupier of a small shop on the London Road, was charged with stealing 4s. 3d., belonging to Isaac Stevens Clayson, from the till at the "New Endeavour Inn," Buckland.

Alma Strand, a young woman living at prosecutor's house, who attends to the bar, said the prisoners came to the house at 7:30 that (Tuesday) morning. After serving him with some beer, she left the bar, and while in an adjoining room she heard someone at the till. Returning to the bar, over which he had been leaning she caught the prisoner in the act of rising from the bar, over which he had been leaning, close to where the till was. She accused him of taking money from the till, she said she would detain him until a constable could be procured.

She locked the bar door, but afterwards opened it to send a boy for the police. Prisoner, seizing the opportunity, dashed out of the door, but the witness clung to him and held on to him as he ran along the street until she slipped on the snow and fell. Prisoner escaped, but was afterwards apprehended at a public house in the vicinity.

Sentenced to 1 month's hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 22 July, 1910.



At the Croyden Borough Police Court on Saturday, before Dr. S. Parsons Smith (in the chair), Dr. H. G. Thompson and Alderman H. K. Moore, Charles Sleigh, alias Leigh, (46), of 6, Culvert Road, Tottenham, a sign painter, and Herbert Henry Marriott (31), of Oakwood Road, Croyden, a carpenter, were brought up in custody charged on remand with obtaining by false pretence a cheque for 25s., from Miss Fanny Bateson, a lady residing at Godalming, and with obtaining a cheque value 30s., of William Walter Wall, licensee of the "New Endeavour Inn," London Road, Dover.

William Walter & Fanny Elizabeth Wall

Mr. Wall said that on July 1st he advertised in he Feathered World for 25 turkey poults. He received a reply on paper headed "Memorandum from M. McQue, contractor for removal by road or rail, 17, Oakwood Road, West Croyden. Furniture warehouse." This read: "Dear Sir, - Turkey poults hatched April 3rd for 3. I can warrant them most healthy. On receipt of half cash I will forward on and you can forward balance on receipt. Yours truly, H. McQue." He sent a cheque for 30s., and in reply received a postcard in these terms: "Dear Sir, - I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter and cheque for turkey poults. The matter receives my best attention. - Yours truly, H. McQue." He had not seen either of the prisoners, and had not received any poults.

Marriott said he had not had time to send the poults before he was arrested.

Evidence was called to show that the cheque was cashed at Tottenham by Mrs. Sleigh, who said that Marriott gave it to her to cash.

Detective-sergeant Storey and Detective-sergeant Webber arrested the prisoners one in a Post Office and the other at the house. In the house, which contained not a stick of furniture, was found a number of letters from persons who had replied to advertisements in The Feathered World" for poults, asking the advertiser to supply them with turkey poults, kennels, and fanciers' requisites.

The prisoners, on the application of the police, were remanded in custody for a week.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 24 October, 1911.



At the Dover Police Court this morning, before Messrs. J. L. Bradley (in the chair) and T. A. Terson.

Arthur Edward Clark, 48, George Street, was summoned by Alfred Thomas Cook, 34, Eaton Road, for assault. Defendant pleaded guilty.

Complainant stated that he was a ganger in the employ of the Dover Corporation, and on November 18 was engaged working on the tram lines in London Road. The defendant and another man named Kinch went into a public house about 10.50, and between that time and 12 o'clock Kinch went there four times. Eventually he told him hoe would have to knock off work for the remainder of the day as he was getting in such a state that he could not carry on his work. Kinch made use of filthy language, and he said he would go across to his mate, Clark, in a public house. About 12.45 Clark came to where witness was bending down working. Defendant said "What sort of a _____ man do you call yourself." Seeing that although not drunk he was the worse for drink, witness told him he did not want to talk to him, whereupon defendant gave him an uppercut in the mouth, loosening a toooth and knocking it through his lip. He also struck him on the nose twice, and so dazed him that he hardly knew what he was doing. Clark made another rush at him, but witness warded off his blows and he fell down. Defendant got up and went for him again, and so to gave further trouble he fetched a constable, and gave defendant in charge.

In answer to the Chairman, the witness said the defendant had been in the public house since 10.30. It was not his business to fetch him out, but to report it to the foreman.

The Chairman said that was a serious statement to go forth to the public respecting a Corporation servant, and would like to go a little further into the case.

Thomas File, a labourer in the gang employed on the work, corroborated as to the assault. He saw the defendant come down the road from the public house and strike Cook, but he did not know the name of the house.

Complainant, re-called, said Clark was in the "New Endeavour" from 10.30 to 12.45.

The Chairman: You are quite sure of that? One wants to be very careful, because further questioning may take place. You are quite prepared to prove that he was in the public house from 10.30 to the time you mentioned? - Yes, as far as I know.

You must know whether he was there or not. - He was absent from work, and after he went there I never saw any more of him till a quarter to 1.

Are these men allowed to go into a public house like this? - No.

How is it that this man was not stopped? - No notice is taken of a man provided he goes and gets a drink and comes back at once. I did not see Clark from 10.30 to 12.30, and it is not my business to go to a public house to find him.

In answer to Clark, witness said he reported defendant's absence to the foreman at 12 o'clock.

Defendant said he met a friend and got a glass too much. Kinch told him what Cook had said, and he suppose that aggravated him. He was sorry for what occurred.

The Chairman: Were you in the public house during the time that was mentioned? - I was in the "Old Endeavour," but not from 10.30 to 12.45. I came out at intervals.

P.C. M. Taylor stated that about 12.55 on November 18 he was called by the ganger, who complained of having been assaulted by the defendant. He was bleeding from the mouth. Defendant was very excited and had evidently been drinking.

It was stated there were previous convictions against the defendant, the last being in 1906.

Defendant, answering the Magistrates, said he had a wife and three children, and had been working for the Corporation for seven months. He earnt on average 23s. a week. He had been discharged from his work and was now carting for Mr. Dennis.

The Chairman said it was a very bad case. Defendant was in good employment, and yet he would get that horrid drink and make himself go muddled that he assaulted the ganger. His conduct was disgraceful. He was liable to imprisonment, but the Bench had decided to fine him 1 including costs, with a fortnight to pay it. He hoped it would be a caution to him, and if the defendant came before the Magistrates again he would not be so leniently dealt with.

Subsequently the Chairman and whether the public house in question was "Old" or "New Endeavour," he would like the Police to give the people a word. This kind of thing must be stopped.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 12 January, 1917.



At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Messrs. Edward Chitty (in the chair) and H. Hobday.

William Walter Wall, of the “New Endeavour Inn,” London Road, was summoned for, on 25th December, allowing intoxicating liquors to be consumed on his premises at a prohibited hour according to the Central Control Board. T. Terry, T. Pilcher, J. Jarman, T. Page, C. Gilham and J. Randley were summonsed for consuming the liquor.

Mr. Vosper appeared to prosecute.

Police-constable Leeming said that on Christmas Day he was on duty at Buckland Bridge, and was informed by P.C. Scutt that the “New Endeavour Inn” was open at 8.25 p.m. At 8.30 witness went with P.C. Scutt to the premises. They went in, and on the bar counter there were several glasses containing liquor. The bar was three-parts full of men standing at the counter. Witness saw Mr. Wall behind the counter, and asked him if he was aware of the time. He replied, “Yes. I am open until 9; but nothing is to be taken off the premises after 8. P.C. Fox left a pamphlet with me at the house.” He said that the Order allowed him to be open from 6.30 p.m. till 9 on Christmas Day. Witness asked him to produce the pamphlet. He was unable to find it, and said that it must have blown down. The Constables then left the bar, and, leaving P.C. Scutt to keep observation, witness communicated with the Police Station, and shortly afterwards returned. Witness informed the landlord and all present that he intended to take their names and addresses. Witness took nineteen names altogether, and there was a total of thirty in the house. He told the landlord that he should have to report the case, and he said, “I was under the impression that I could open from 6.30 to 9 p.m., as stated in the Order.”

The Chief Constable said that he had 300 of these pamphlets sent to him, with the request that he should leave them at the various houses, but there was no alteration in regard to Dover, although there was to some places.

The defendant said that he had been the licensee of this public-house for nearly twenty years, and had never been in any trouble. Until the arrival of P.C. Leeming he was not aware he was doing anything wrong. He was served with a copy of the Central Control Board's regulations in regard to Christmas Day. Under paragraph 2a it states that in the counties of the Western Border area the houses on Christmas Day should be opened for the sale of intoxicating liquors from 6.30 to 9.p.m. he thought that that applied to his house, misunderstanding it. On Christmas day he opened his house at 6.30 p.m., instead of 6 o'clock, as he was entitled. He thought that he could keep open till 9 o'clock, and he kept his house open accordingly. When the Constable arrived he told him that he was entitled to keep open till 9 o'clock, in accordance with a pamphlet served on him by P.C. Fox.

Mr. A. K. Mowll urged that this was an innocent mistake.

The Chairman said that it appeared that the defendant, although he acted foolishly, because the circular was perfectly plain, acted innocently, and the case would be dismissed on the payment of the costs. The cases against the other defendants would be dismissed entirely. The Magistrates wished to say that it was a case in which the Police had acted quite rightly in bringing before them.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, January, 1920.


At the Dover Police Court on Friday, before Messrs. H. F. Edwin (in the chair) , W. D. Atkins and H. J. Burton.

Charles George Ditton, of 90, Oswald Road, was summonsed for allowing his dog to be at large without a muzzle in London Road, on the 14th instant.

P.C. Scutt said he found the animal at 7.45 a.m. in a garden in London Road. Defendant then whistled the dog and it ran up the opening to Oswald Road, where witness fined it

Fined 5s.

William W. Wall, of the "New Endeavour," who did not appear, was summoned for a similar offence in London Road on the 14th instant.

P.C. Scutt said he found the dog on the steps of the "New Endeavour."

The Magistrates' Clerk: Apparently it had been out and was waiting to get in. It was near enough home.

Fined 5s.

Margater Dyer, of 7, Minnis Terrace, was summoned for a similar offence at Crabble Avenue on January 13th.

Fined 5s.


From the Dover Express, Friday 20 August, 1926.

Special Sessions for the transfer of licences were held at the Dover Police Court on Friday, before Messrs. W. B. Brett, T. Francis, H. J, Burton, and S. Lewis, when the following transfers were made:- The "New Endeavour,” London Road from Mr. William W. Wall to Mr. Leonard Newbury, of the Shaftsbury Temperance Hotel, Snargate St., Dover.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 9 January, 1931.



At the Dover Police Court on Friday last, before Messrs. W. J. Barwick, C. W. Chitty, G. D. Clark and S. J. Livings.

William Frank Luck, of 11, Castle Hill Road, ex-licensee of the “New Endeavour Inn,” London Road, was charged, on a warrant, with that he, being treasurer of the Christmas Club held at the “new Endeavour,” fraudulently did take and convert to his own use, 6 2s. 6d. received by him for and on behalf of John Harris, one of the members of the Club.

Mr. De Wet said that he was instructed by the members of the Club to prosecute. Defendant had held the license since 1928, but for years previous to that it had been the custom to hold a Christmas Club. Mr. W. Frost had been the secretary of the Club for seven years, and the prisoner had been the treasurer since he became the licenser. For the first two Christmases everything went off all right. This year there were 78 members of the Club. Fortunately, eight of them had paid nothing except 2d. for their card. (Laughter.) The other 70 members should have had available for distribution 168. he did not propose to deal with each of these 70 cases, and had taken that of J. Harris only. Mr. De Wet then explained the keeping of the books. Mr. Frost did the “donkey work” and the prisoner had the money. When Mr. Frost said to him, “How about the money! It is share out time,” the prisoner said, “I have not got it; I have spent it.” There should have been 168, and, of course, there was “a flutter in the dovecote,” and the members wanted to know what was going to be done. It was arranged that Mr. Frost should meet the prisoner and the public house valuer. He said that the inventory would be about 200 odd, and the prisoner would be all right, and the date was fixed for January 9th, when it was thought the brewers were going to pay out. The charge was fixed, he (Mr. De Wet) understood, for January 9th. But what actually happened? They went home rejoicing except two poor people who had to go away to bury someone and expected that money, but were not able to get it. But what had been done now? Could anyone understand a brewery firm like Messrs. Gardner's allowing a man like this to get into arrears with his payments to them, and the wine and spirit merchants to the sum of over 300. The brewers well knew this Club had been in existence for years. The change of tenant did not take place on January 9th, but last Monday, and when application was made to the brewers they said, “We have got nothing.” We have taken an inventory. We have paid the wine and spirit merchants, and the man is still independent to us about 200.” What did those seventy unlucky members feel? What was the money saved for? Not only for himself, but to give pleasure to his household, so that it was not only the seventy members who had suffered, but seventy times seven. In one family alone there was 20 which should have been paid out, but they received nothing. The members felt that some example should be made in this case. It was absurd that the brewery should take all the inventory, pay himself and wine merchant, and leave these people. It was for the good of the house that they should be met, for the Club had been in existence for years, and the rules required that a certain sum should be paid for the benefit of the house. This was a case that had given him great compunction in taking up, but the bench had to consider that the members were not only the losers of the actual cash, but enjoyment for their families, and he asked that an example should be made. There was, of course, a lot to be said for the man, but very little for the brewers. He understood that the charge, as before them, would be a case for the Sessions. The members of the Club had not the money to prosecute at the Sessions, and had no vindictive feeling against the man, although they felt an example should be made of him. He had discussed the matter with Mr. Scorer and the Clerk, and if the charge was reduced to stealing as servant or agent, the Magistrates had power to deal with it. If he had the assurance that the prisoner would plead guilty, he was prepared that the amendment should be made.

Mr. Scorer said that moment was not quite the time to do that.

William Arthur Frost said that he was Secretary of the Club.

Mr. De Wet: The brewers are Gardner's?

The Magistrates' Clerk: That has nothing to do with it.

Mr. De Wet: I think it has a lot to do with it.

Witness said that he had been Secretary for seven years under three different landlords. The prisoner was licensee and also the Treasurer of the Club. The book produced showed the amount taken every Monday evening and signed for by Luck as he handed it over. Every member had a card. Mr. Harris had card No. 38 and according to that he had paid in 6 2s. 6d., which he (witness) had handed over to Luck week by week with other money. The other book (produced) showed the individual payments of every member. That for Mr. Harris showed 2s. 6d. a week. In the last week in October he asked the prisoner how they stood at the bank and he replied “150 odd.” He also asked him for some paper bags from the bank. Looking through his books he found that the amount tallied to a few shillings with what Luck said was in the bank as the new bags were forthcoming the following week he thought everything was o.k. On about December 10th he asked the prisoner about the money as they were sharing out on the 15th. On the Wednesday he had made all arrangements to draw it out on Friday or Saturday and added that Saturday would suit him best. He came to see witness on the Saturday morning to say he had got a hurried note to go off to Canterbury. Witness told him he couldn't go. He said, “I must go and we must get it on Monday morning.” He asked witness to be at his house at 10.30 a.m. on the 15th, but when he got there the prisoner had gone to Ash to see the brewers, Messrs. Gardner and Company. He enquired three times between then and 2.30 as to whether he had returned and then he began to feel there was something wrong and went down to the bank. He did not see the prisoner till 5 o'clock, as the money should have been shared at 8 o'clock. prisoner came to witness's house and witness asked him about the money. He said, “I am sorry, I have spent it.” He asked him which way and prisoner replied “Week by week, as I took it.” He told him that he would make arrangements with the members to share out on the Thursday. When they went for the money they found Mr. Phillips, a valuer there, and he took the situation in hand. He said that the house was changing hands and there would be enough to pay the members after he had paid the brewers. He paid 375 when he went in and owed the brewers 160. the charge was fixed for January 9th and he said that when the valuation was completed and the brewers had been paid if Mr. Luck would instruct him to hand over the “168 4s. 6d. he would do so. He asked for a letter to that effect for Luck to sign in front of them. He did this and witness produced it. Instead of the charge taking place on January 9th it took place on Monday last. Not one of the members had had a penny piece.

The Magistrates' Clerk: That letter did not operate?

No, when we found he was leaving on Monday several of us were round there and the total valuation paid over was 235 and there was still 100 owing to the brewers so they took the whole lot and we got nothing.

In reply to Mr. Scorer, witness said that Luck was treasurer for two years before and everything was all right. There was no audit or separate banking account, and witness added, “You can see your mistakes afterwards.”

In reply to Mr. Livings, witness said that the licensee had always been the Treasurer.

John Harris, 4, South Road, Dover, gave evidence of paying in his money and not being paid out. On Monday last they waited from 12 o'clock till half-past four at the change-over determined to get the money of possible, but got nothing.

D.C. Datlan said that at 2.30 p.m. on Thursday he went to 11, Castle Hill Road, and saw the prisoner and read the warrant to him. He lade no reply. At the Police Station when charged he made no reply.

Prisoner was then charged with stealing the money and Mr. Scorer pleaded guilty on his behalf. He said it was a sad case. He was only 34 and had been married three years and there was one child, aged eight months. There was an ingoing of 325 on the house three years ago, 123 being borrowed money, which was a burden on his back at the start. He was not there to defend his actions but only to mitigate the punishment. From 1915 ton 1917 he was in the Buffs and was disabled by a gun shot wound in the eye for which he was receiving a disability pension. His position now was that he was high and dry and if he went to prison he would probably lose his pension. The change that took place in the house was not because of his misappropriation, and the prisoner was hoping that there would be enough money to pay out the members. He was just as sorry for the members as he was for himself. He tried to find the money but failed. For ten months the previous year he was laid up with his eye and this was probably the reason that his business went down. He asked the Magistrates to deal with the case under the First Offenders' Act as there were extenuating circumstances.

The Chairman said that it was a painful case and the Justices felt it so, but the prisoner must go to prison for four months and hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 16 January, 1931. Price 1d.


(To the Editor of the Dover Express)

Sir,- My attention has been called to your issue of the 9th instant, in which there appears a report of the proceedings before the Magistrates at the prosecution of our late tenant of the “New Endeavour,” on 2nd inst. In that report Mr. De Wet says that “the Brewers well knew that this Club had been in existence for years.” Mr. De Wet evidently misunderstood our conversation on the telephone on the previous evening, as his statement is not true.

W. R. Lister, Managing Director

Gardner & Co., The Brewery.

Ash, near Canterbury.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 23 January, 1931. Price 1d.


(To the Editor of the Dover Express)

Dear Sir, - I was more than surprised to read in your to-day's issue the letter of Mr. W. R. Lister relative to his recent prosecution, but in justice to myself and the 70 unlucky members of the “New Endeavour” Christmas Club, I feel I must answer it. Appearing for the members through the Informant, I thought it was only justice that the brewers (Messrs. Gardner & Co., of Ash) should know that their tenant had that day been arrested and would come up before the Magistrates the next morning, and so I telephoned them. I am sorry that Mr. Lister had not the same courtesy to inform me he was writing to you so that I could have made a reply in your same issue. However, I am now sending Mr. Lister a copy of this letter so that his Brewery can (if they so desire) have a reply and in which event I hope they will send me a copy of the same day of the dispatch to you. I deny that my statement to the Magistrates “is not true” nor did I misunderstand “our conversation” on the telephone. Even from Mr. Frost's evidence the Club had been in existence for over seven years, and it is strange and incredible that Messrs. Gardner and Co., and their representatives and collector should be “in the dark” about the existence of a “Xmas Club” of which, if necessary, I should have been able to prove their knowledge through their agents. The judicial proceedings are now ended and I can only hope that Mr. Lister, on behalf of his Brewery, will see that the members of this Club will be repaid their contributions in full out of the Inventory due to his Company from the “Luckless” Tenant.

V. Douglass De Wet.

22, Castle Street.


(To the Editor of the Dover Express)

Sir, - Our attention has been called to your issue of the 9th inst. under the heading “New Endeavour Case.” In his opening statement Mr. De Wet said that one of his witnesses attended at the house to meet the Valuer and that the Valuer made various promises to the members of the Club. We do not think Mr. De Wet has wilfully misunderstood the position but his statement is not exactly correct. Our Junior Partner was seeing Mr. Luck with regard to the valuations when various members of the Club were brought into the room to ask his advice concerning the club money, when it was arranged that any sum over and above the amount owing to the Brewers would be handed to the Club Secretary. It so happens there was nothing in excess of the Brewers' account.

C. Hebden Phillips & Son,

Sun Buildings, Canterbury.


Dover Express, Friday, 9 December 1932.

Plans for slight alterations at the "New Endeavour," London Road, were approved.



World war two saw it closed in October 1940 and the reopening came in 1945.


Dover Express 20th September 1946.

A meeting of the newly formed Dover Football Club Supporters Association will be held at the Oddfellows’ Club on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Mr. Lynch has been selected Chairman; Mr. Vyse, “New Endeavour”, London Road, Secretary and Mrs. Price will be in charge of the catering. New members may join at Crabble on Saturday.


From the Dover Express, 9 January 1948.


New Endeavour Darts Champions 1948

The "New Endeavour" Darts Team, which won the Gardner's Cup with an unbeaten record in twenty games.

Front Row:- W. White, F. G. A. Bowley (Manager Messrs. Gardner and Co.) J. Chayney (Captain), H. Vyse (Licensee), and A. White.

Back Row:- Robert Ward, F. Freeman, S. Jackson, W. Hopley, E. Champion, M. Longley and P. O'Neill.


From the Dover Express, 19 January 1951.

New Endeavour Tramps Supper

A Tramps' Supper is becoming a popular idea. This one was held at the "New Endeavour," London Road, on Saturday. [Photo: Hudson.] Unfortunately, so far, people in photograph, unknown.


An email from Allan Ward (28 July 2012) says he has spotted his uncle in the photo above on the left with glasses and bow tie. It's Robert Ward, who came from Ashford and lodged in Dover. He worked on the railway and unfortunately died in the 1970s.


From an email received 9 July 2012. New Endeavour dart team

I am attaching a photo of the dart team of the "New Endeavour" which includes my granddad Charlie Clapson, sitting far left, who was the last landlord of the pub. I do not have a date for this picture unfortunately but it was given to me by Alf White, the greengrocer's, sister.

Yours sincerely,

Debbie Fox.


Charles Clapson retired from here in October 1969 and there is no evidence of a successor. After 1971, the premises catered for the do-it-yourself enthusiast up to 1989 and then upholstery.



EAST Charles 1861-81+ (age 41 in 1861Census)

STEVENS Fred George to Jan/1882 dec'd (suicide) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1882

STEVENS Mary Mrs 1883

CLAYSON Issac Stephen 1886-87+ Next pub licensee had

PENNAL Frederick 1891-95 (age 40 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1891Pikes 1895

WALL William WaIter 1898-Aug/1926 (age 45 in 1911Census) Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903Post Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1924

NEWBURY Leonard Aug/1926-28 end

LUCK William Frank 1928-Jan/31 Post Office Directory 1930Dover Express

Last pub licensee had CARTER Lionel John Jan/1931+ Dover Express

PICKARD/PICKUP William 1932-Aug/33 Dover ExpressPikes 1932-33

Last pub licensee had FELLOWS John William Aug/1933+ Dover Express

PHILLIPS John Charles 1936-Oct/40 Post Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39Dover Express

CLINCH Ernest William Oct/1940+ Dover Express


VYSE Harry A 1946-48

Last pub licensee had BOWLEY Alfred William Philip Jan-Dec/1949 Dover ExpressKelly's Directory 1950

VYSE Harry A Dec/1948-1953+ Dover ExpressKelly's Directory 1953

MILLER William Frederick 1956 end Kelly's Directory 1956

CLAPSON Charles William 1956-Oct/69


Ernest William Clinch was of the Brewery, Ash, Secretary to Gardner and Co. Ash.

I believe that Alfred Bowley was manager to Messrs Gardner & Co, brewers, so may have been just a holding manager at the time.


Post Office Directory 1878From the Post Office Directory 1878

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-