DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Walmer, October, 2020.

Page Updated:- Monday, 19 October, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1832

(Name from)

Stag Hotel

Open 2019+

7 Strand

Lower Walmer

Deal

01304 364409

http://www.stagwalmer.co.uk/

https://whatpub.com/stag

Stag 2011

Above photo taken by Tony Wells, 1st January 2011.

Stag, Walmer, date unknown

Above picture kindly supplied by Sue Solley. Date unknown.

Stag in Walmer Stag sign 1990Stag Hotel sign 1993

Sign left, 1990, sign right, July 1993.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com

Stag sign in Walmer

Above photos by Paul Skelton 16 March 2008.

Stag sign 2012

Above photo by Paul Skelton, 11 February 2012.

Advert from the Dover Mercury, 15 November 2007.

Stag advert 2007

 

Originally known as the "Stagg Ayle Shoppe" the premises was previously called the "Duke of Wellington."

Local brewer and maltster John Hatton owned the pub in 1877 followed by brewers George Beer in 1882.

The house was probably closed from December 1887 to February 1888 when advertisements were seen in the local papers advertising for the premises to be let. Eventually William Whitecombe of the Dover Brewing Company took on the licence.

1913 saw the house referred to the Compensation Committee for closure as there were at least five other houses in the same area, however, suppliers Messrs. Ash and Co, brewers at Canterbury persuaded the Compensation Committee otherwise and the house remained open until 1940 when it closed for the part of the war. During this time Mackeson took over license. In 1995 the house was taken over by Whitbread.

 

From the East Kent Mercury 30 April, 1998.

NEW LOOK PUB PARTY

Saturday is party night at The "Stag," which is reopening with a new look at the weekend.

The pub, on The Strand at Walmer, closed at Easter for the builders to move in. Landlords Mike and Penny Barnes have organised a buffet and will be giving away prizes from 8pm.

The couple, who have been at The "Stag" for 18 months, also own the "Bowling Green" pub in Deal.

 

 

I have been informed that the pub is currently closed and up for sale. March 2014.

Open again May 2014 with new publicans, at present names unknown.

In May 2018 the owners changed from Punch Taverns to Patron Capital. Temporarily closed in November 2019 the premises is undergoing a refurbishment and they say will open again on the 18th December.

 

Stag bar 2019

Above photo showing the bar area in 2019.

 

LICENSEE LIST

Last pub licensee had SNELLING Henry 1832-47+ (age 60 in 1841Census) Pigot's Directory 1839Bagshaw's Directory 1847

MACKINS James 1858+ Melville's 1858

MACKINS J 1862+ Post Office Directory 1862

MACKINS John Thomas 1871-82+ Post Office Directory 1874Post Office Directory 1882

JENNER William 1887 to December

WHITECOMBE William Feb/1888-Mar/88

TROLLOP James Mar/1888

MERCER John 1890

NASH Thomas 1898-1902+ Kelly's 1899Post Office Directory 1903

YOUNG Horace 1902+

BURKE Edward 1906+

Last pub licensee had GILLESPIE Frederick John 1906-08 Next pub licensee had

GALLWAY Robert 1908

HILL Edward Thomas 1909-13+ Post Office Directory 1913

UPTON William 1914

HOLLAND F W 1914-15+ Deal library 1914

COOKE Mrs Minnie Bret 1918-22+ Post Office Directory 1918Post Office Directory 1922

BOTTLE Sidney J 1923

SMITH Herbert Harcourt 1924

FELLOWS John William 1930-Aug/33 Next pub licensee had Post Office Directory 1930

CASTLE Charles F 1934+ Kelly's 1934

BUTCHER James 1937-38+ Post Office Directory 1938

TOMKINSON Henry Edward 1938

MACKESON Brewers Ltd 1940+

STAMMERS Thomas Newton 1944

BARKER Ronald Lawrence 1949

BRIDGES James E 1954

MOONLIGHT Charles Douglas 1954

JOHNSON Saxon 1957-Jun/67

HALL Stanley E 1967-74+ Library archives 1974

PETTIT John 1976

COOK Roger 1979

BAKER John 1987

BABER Michael 1990-91

REED Carl & BAILEY Sharon 1992

WARD Graham 1993

JOHNSON Stephen Nov/1995

BARNES Michael & Penny Sept/1996-98+

WOOD Michael and Jane & FINNIS Albert June/1999+

WILLIS Tony and Jayne & FINNIS Albert Sept/2003-11/Apr/2010

Closed for short time.

BESSANTS Anthony & Jennifer 2010+

 

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Kelly's 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Deal library 1914Deal Library List 1914

Post Office Directory 1918From the Post Office Directory 1918

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Kelly's 1934From the Kelly's Directory 1934

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML