|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Barry Smith and Paul Skelton|
1 Westbury Road
Quite a lot of spadework had to be done before the opening was achieved here.
Dover Brewery Company wanted a licence in 1885 for a house which they intended building in Clarendon Street. They offered to surrender the "William and Albert" but were not entertained.
George Beer and Company tried in 1892, for a house which they would have built at the top of Clarendon Street. They not only offered to surrender the "Rose" in Charlton Green, but also the ground on which it stood, the Council being anxious to widen the road at that point. A hesitant Bench thought on that occasion it would be too close to Belgrave school.
Edward Dawes next entered the scene in 1897 with plans for an 'off' licence at 1 Longfield Road. He was quite prepared to sacrifice the "Wellesley" but he was also shown the door.
1898 saw a third attempt by George Beer. His proposed site was now on the corner of Westbury and Belgrave Road and he was prepared to invest £2,000 on the new building. Agreement was reached all round and the pub opened by August 1900. The licence of the "Rose" was allowed to lapse in 1898.
Passing through the years to Fremlin and still setting them up today (1991). Perhaps sharing with Whitbread. It is a time of many changes.
It has now closed and has remained boarded up and empty for a good number of years (2007).
SUTER(S) H 1901-Oct/04
GILLESPIE Frederick John Oct/1904-06
BRENCHLEY Henry J 1906-Aug/10
SUMMERS Frederick William Aug/1910-13 dec'd
SUMMERS F J 1911
SUMMERS Mrs June/1913
CLARETT George Celistin June/1913-24 end
PAGE Albert Victor 1924-25 end
RICHARDS Ernest William 1925-28 end
WHYMAN Victor Herbert 1928-Feb/32
TERRY Victor Charles Feb/1932-Dec/33 (Former Hotel manager of the "Cross Keys Hotel," Walsham)
HENCHINGTON Herbert James Dec/1933-Apr/36 (Of Henchington stores, Forest Row, London, grocer and wine merchant.)
SUTTON Henry William Apr/1936-Oct/1938
SWIFT Sidney Goodwin Oct/1938-45 end
WENHAM Leonard S 1945-52+ (1948 & 52 telephone directory 1206)
CARLEY Eric W G 1953
COLEBY-CLARK John H C 1955-56+
PLAYER W 1964
PLAYER George E W 1973-78 end Whitbread Fremlins
TYRELL R J 1978
THOMPSON James R 1985
THOMPSON Julien 1991+
According to the Dover Express, 1936, Henry William Sutton came from the "Wheatsheaf" Inn, Warden, Isle of Sheppy and Sidney Swift from 2, Worcester Court, Dawes Gate, Headstone Drive, Harrow, Middlesex, licensed victualler.
Frederick William Summers was formerly from the "Red Lion," St. Peter's, Broadstairs.
From the Post Office Directory 1901
From the Post Office Directory 1922
From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923
From the Post Office Directory 1930
From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33
From the Post Office Directory 1938
From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39
From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49
From the Kelly's Directory 1950
From the Kelly's Directory 1953
From the Kelly's Directory 1956
Library archives 1974
From the Dover Express
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-