DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Canterbury, January, 2019.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 20 January, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton & Rory Kehoe

Earliest 1927

Olive Branch

Latest 1991+

(Name to)

39 Burgate Street / 4 The Parade

Canterbury

Olive Branch 1921

Above photo, 1921, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe. Shown to the right of the flag. Operating as a wine merchant in this year. The occasion was the unveiling of the city's memorial to the fallen of WW1. The Union Flag is neatly hiding what had been the "Black Boy."

Olive Branch 1953

Above photo, circa 1953, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe. A rare outpost for Westerham-brewed beers, supplied from the old Bushell, Watkins and Smith brewery.

Olive Branch 1965

Above photograph taken by Edward Wilmot in 1965.

Olive Branch 1984Olive Branch 1991

Olive Branch sign left September 1984, sign right March 1991.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com

Olive Branch 1990

Above photo, 1990, kindly sent by Garth Wyver.

 

The address of the "Olive Branch" is actually in the Butter Market, a passage leading to The Parade connected to another licensed house was both held by one licensee.

The pub or at least the wine merchants can be traced back to 1878 when T. H. Walkeley & Co., Wine and spirit merchants were listed there at 4 The Parade and 39 Butter Market.

In 1904, Pike's Blue Book listed Walkley at 39 Burgate Street, next door to the "Black Boy Inn" at number 40.

The "Black Boy" seems to have disappeared in 1908 and in 1927 the "Olive Branch" with Walkley is mentioned both being at 39 Burgate Street.

Being situated close to the Cathedral, the pub only possessed a six day licence having succumbed to pressure from the church goers. The passage way between the "Olive Branch" and the Parade was closed by 1988.

The building is a Grade 2 listed building, being listed on 3rd May 1967, and is described as follows:- "C18 facade to timber-framed building. 3 storeys brick. Old tiled roof. Wooden bracket cornice. 2 cambered C19 sashes. Stringcourse and keystone. C19 front has central door-case with rectangular fanlight and right side door-case with panelled door."

By February 1991 the premises was taken over by the Firkin brewery chain and was named the "Franklin and Firkin."

The premises is now called the "Old Buttermarket."

I am informed that there is an alleyway from the back of the pub that links to the High Street by the "Bell" where customers take short cuts.

 

LICENSEE LIST

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.Pubshistory.com