Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.



Notes of 1885


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 22 May, 1885. Price 1d.

The Oddfellows seem to be keeping the poker hot since taking possession of their new rooms. It is stated that the following members were invited on Monday evening. The Mayor (T. V. brown, Esq.), Major Scott, Rev. B. Pearce, Caprain Pierce, Dr. Sutton, Mr. S. Finnis, Mr. Councillor Peake. The Town Clerk (Mr. Knocker), Mr. Vernon Knocker, Mr. T. A. Terson, Mr. Nadler, Mr. J. Falconer, Mr. E. Coleman, Mr. Winterbourne, and Mr. Walker. The following were proposed:- Mr. Chigwell, Mr. W. J. Adcock, Mr. J. Stilwell, Mr. Henry Hayward, Dr. Parsons, Mr. Filmer Phipps, Mr. Martyn Mowll, and Mr. T. Blackman.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 29 May, 1885. 1d.



The Superintendent of Wingham and Seabrook divisions reported favourably on the public houses in these districts. There had only been four prosecutions during the year.


Mr. Woolaston Knocker applied for a full license for the beer-house known as the “Donkey,” Ewell. This was the forth time of asking, the same arguments being adduced as on former occasions. Mr. Martyn Mowll on behalf of the owner of a neighbouring house opposed the application.


Mr. Martin Mowll applied on behalf of Mr. Cripps, boarding house keeper at St. Margaret's, for a license for his boarding house. He produced a numerously signed memorial in favour of the application signed by the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Dover, and the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Deal, and several inhabitants of the village. Mr. Cripps proved that he had had as many as 35 persons in his house lodging during the summer, and that it was a great inconvenience to send them out for their refreshment. The rent of the house was about 180, therefore it was not his intension of using it other than as a boarding house.

Mr. Stilwell opposed on behalf of the owner of the “Granville Arms Hotel” and the house in the village belonging to Walmer Brewery. He contended that Mr. Cripps only having had the boarding house about two months was not that a sufficient test, and if he failed to keep it as a boarding house another license of the ordinary character would be saddled on the village.

The Magistrates decided to refuse both applications.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 17 July, 1885.


Mr. Harry Pooley, a builder, residing in De Burgh Street, was missing from his home a few days since, and the news came on Monday that he had been found drowned at Whitstable. A later report states that it was a case of suicide during temporary insanity. The circumstance has caused general regret in Dover where the deceased was much respected.

An inquest was held at the “Steam Packet Inn,” Whitstable, on Monday evening, by George Collard, Esq., the Deputy East Kent Coroner, on the body of a man named Henry Pooley, who committed suicide by drowning himself at Whitstable.

Harry Richard Pooley, eldest son of the deceased, deposed that he resided at Shalmsford Villa, De Burgh Hill, Dover, and that he was a builder. Witness lived with his father, whose body was identified. Deceased left home on the previous Friday and had not since returned. He went to Harbledown, near Canterbury, on business. His mother was surprised that deceased did not return on Saturday and expressed a hope that he had done nothing wrong, as he had been very strange lately. Again on Sunday surprise was expressed at his not returning, and no steps were taken to ascertain where he was. Witness's father and mother lived very happily together. Witness had noticed that deceased seemed depressed in his mind lately, but he did not believe he was in any pecuniary difficulty. He was 49 years of age.

Mr. G. T. Mills, of the “South East Tavern,” Whitstable, stated that deceased came into his house on Saturday evening, had a glass of ale, and asked when the last train left for Canterbury. He afterwards asked for a bed. He slept that night at witness's house. Deceased went out at about 12.30 on Sunday afternoon and said he should be in again. Witness did not see him afterwards. He asked witness if there were any boats about, and seemed quite rational.

Frederick William Shilling, a mariner, residing at Whitstable, stated that he was going to his dinner at about one o'clock on the previous day he met deceased beside Tankerton Stile. He asked for a boat, but said he did not want anyone to go with him. When deceased had gone out about ten minutes and was about a quarter of a mile from the shore, witness saw him lay down the oars and jump overboard. Witness then got another boat and rowed out to him, but he was gone. He did not cry for help nor, so far as witness could see, try to save himself.

Frederick Foad, a mariner, of Whitstable, deposed to finding the body shortly before six on the previous evening.

The Jury returned a verdict that “Deceased committed suicide by drowning whilst in a state of unsound mind.”


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 24 July, 1885.

The employees of Messrs. Lewis and Chandler, numbering about twenty-two, dined at the “Priory Temperance Hotel” on Thursday, and after the dinner the party were entertained up till a late hour with songs and music.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 4 September, 1885. Price 1d.


The annual sitting of the Dover Licensing Committee was held at the Town Hall on Monday at noon, to grant the public house licenses for the ensuing year. There were on the bench the Mayor (T. V. Brown, Esq.), J. L. Bradley, Esq., F. S. Pierce, Esq., Sir R. Dickeson, F. Astley, Esq., and W. J. Adcock, Esq.

The Magistrates proceeded to go through the list of the old licenses, which were called out and granted without remark except in the following cases:-

The landlords of the “Orange Tree,” Maxton; the “Duke of Connaught,” Snargate Street; the “Northampton Arms,” Northampton Street; and the “Sceptre,” Beach Street; were called in and cautioned by the Mayor, they having been convicted of infringing the law with regard to the management of these houses during the year. After being cautioned the licenses were granted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 18 September, 1885. Price 1d.

The adjourned Brewster Sessions were held at Broadstairs on Wednesday. There were no cases of local interest, the application for the renewal of the “Northumberland Arms” license being abandoned.