|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
Situated next door to the "Waterman's Arms" at number 41 in 1780 in between the turning for Oak Street and Brewer Street.
Deal Borough Records show the following entry:- MS Council's Opinion 18th November 1776 - by Geo. Rowe, Inner Temple.
In the town and Borough of Deal are 30 Publick Houses including taverns and Inns, 18 whereof have stabling fit for the accommodation of Dragoons and horses and the other 12 have no stabling at all.
These dragoons (12 or 13 in all) were to assist the Officers of the Revenue at Deal.
The following houses refused to billet the Dragoons for lack of suitable accommodation.
The Port Merchant was mentioned in this list.
Eventually sold for £160 in 1836 along with the "Waterman's Arms" for the rebuilding of the houses we see there today.
SHARPE ???? 1776+
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-