Sort file:- Deal, July, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 31 July, 2021.


Earliest 1866

Waterman's Arms

Latest 1911

91 Beach Street Pikes 1908

128 Beach Street (Kelly's 1878 1881Census)


Waterman's Arms 2009

Above photo, 2009 kindly sent by Steve Glover and Michael Rogers. The house shown is not the pub, but the pub would have stood in front of it as it was demolished in 1954 for road widening.


The Deal Licensing Record of 13 September 1866 mention this as an alehouse.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 4 January, 1873.


F. J. T. Caspell, landlord of the "Waterman's Arms," public-house, Beach Street, was summonsed upon the information of the Supt. of Police, for unlawfully having his house open before the hour of half-past twelve on the morning of Sunday the 22nd of December, and Henry Thompson, H. J. Upton, and E. Erridge, were also summoned for being in the said house at a quarter to one on the morning in question. Caspell pleaded not guilty, and the other defendants said they were guilty of being in the house, but not for intoxicating drink.

The Mayor said he should take no part in this case,

P.C. Carvey deposed: On the 22nd of last month, between twelve and one o'clock, I was on duty in Beach Street. I saw a light at the "Waterman's Arms," and went to the front door and heard someone talking inside. I knocked and Mrs. Caspell let me in. I said it is quite time your house was closed Mrs. Caspell, "Yes," she said, "and it is quite time you closed other houses." I said no more to her, but walked through into the tap-room. I saw four men, two I knew and two I did not. They were in the act of getting up from their seats. There were several glasses on the table but no beer. I asked the two I did not know for their names, but they refused to give them to me. Mr. Caspell then came out of a little front room next the bar, and the men then asked me if I would allow them to have another glass of beer, and I told them I could not allow them. Mr. Caspell asked me to have a glass of beer, I declined that. I found I was in a bit of a fix and went for the Supt. I knew the two men Erridge and Thompson. Before I went for the Supt., the two men, one of whom I did not know, the other being the defendant Upton, pulled out money to pay Mrs. Caspell for their night's lodgings, I think they paid a shilling. After the Supt. had been I was kept on duty, and about 2.30 the same morning I saw Upton by the bathing machines, and Erridge and Thompson in Middle Street. The men I did not know, as well as the other defendants, all live in Deal.

Cross-examined by Caspell: I believe the door was locked. You did ask me to have a glass of beer. I stand to the truth - you did ask me to have a glass of beer. You asked me twice or three times.

Upton said he had a few words with his sister, and went to Caspell's to ask if he could have a bed there, and he was told he could.

Cross-examined by Erridge: Upton asked me for permission to have another glass of beer.

Supt. Parker: Early on the morning of December 22nd Carvey reported the house as described, and I went up there about one or a little after. Upton, Erridge, and Thompson, and Erridge's wife were there. I said to Caspell, "Do you know you are doing wrong?" he said, "No, I am not; Erridge is my nephew, and the other two are lodgers." I said "Very well, you will hear from me again." I set Carvey on the beat, and told him if he saw the men come out he was to report it, and he did so.

This being the whole of the evidence against the defendants, Mr. Mercer informed the defendant Caspell that the law allowed him, if he chose, to give evidence on oath in his own behalf, but Caspell said he did not care whether he was sworn or not. Ultimately, however, he took the oath, and then deposed: On Saturday afternoon, Dec. 21, Erridge's wife and child came up to tea and supper, and Erridge himself joined them in the evening, and about 11 o'clock Thompson came with the key for Erridge - Thompson and Erridge living in the same house with the former's mother, who had sent him with the key as she was going to bed. The door was fastened when Thompson came and said he only wanted to give in the key, but as we had just then sat down to supper I said to him, "Come in and have a mouthful," and he did so. After we had done supper I told my wife to clear away, and as the room is rather small I sent the party into the tap-room. In the meantime the two Upton's, the defendant and another man came, and Upton said, "I have had a word or two with Fanny;" (his sister) "can I sleep here?" I said, "To be sure," as I had got beds to let; and Carvey came just as they were in the passage going to bed. We never had anything to drink from 11 o'clock till we went to bed. I think it is a very hard thing if I can't have a few of my relations to see me. The man Upton who is not here, went to be about half-past 12, and the one who is here about one o'clock. The wind blew and I called the defendant up, and before two o'clock he and I were up on the beach. My boats go off opposite where Mr. Hall used to live. We did not go off that morning, but we were up till four o'clock, and after that Upton laid down in the boat-house. I did not call the other Upton, because, although he is very well of a day-time. you are troubled to get him along at night. I am certain Upton went up-stairs to his bedroom, but whether he chucked himself on the bed or not I do not know. Upton had not been in the house many minutes before he paid the money for his bed. I have kept this house for nine years, and have never had the slightest flaw against me. There's not a house in the town of Deal that shuts up earlier than we do, for we close pretty nearly every night at ten o'clock.

In answer to Supt. Parker, Caspell said the two Upton's are not relations nor do they live together, and only one said he had quarrelled with his sister.

Thompson in his own defence corroborated the statement as to his taking the key to Mrs. Caspell's for his sister, and as to his being invited to partake of some supper.

The Magistrates having consulted, Mr. Iggulden, as the senior Magistrate, said the Bench wished to take as lenient a view as they possibly could of these cases, but it did appear that Upton, who was no relation of the landlord's, had no business in the house at the hour he was found there. The fact that he paid the money for the bed in the presence of the policeman led them to believe that he would not have paid any money if the constable had not entered the house. They did not wish to record a conviction against the landlord, however, as it would have to be endorsed on the back of his license, and if Caspell would pay 7s. costs, and Upton 5s., there would be an end of the case. The other two defendants were relations, and there was therefore no case against them.

The money was paid.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 10 April, 1874. 1d.


Mrs. Edridne, who is not altogether unknown at this Court, was brought up in custody, charged with being drunk and disorderly in the public streets.

P.S. Philpott said: At about a quarter-past ten last night Mr. Campbell, landlord of the "Waterman's Arms," sent to the police station for assistance, as the defendant was creating  a disturbance. I went and saw defendant standing up against the "Rose and Crown Inn." There was a crowd round her, and she was making a great noise and using very improper language. I went and told her that if she did not go away quietly I should lock her up. She continued making use of obscene expressions, and I then took her into custody. She was intoxicated at the time.

The defendant said she was very sorry, and asked to be allowed to tell "the whole story of it." On obtaining the desired authority for continuing, Mrs. Erridge said she was in great trouble about her daughter, who, she said, was associating with soldiers. She and two others had had a pint of beer between them and she had been greatly provoked by her brother. She very much regretted having made use of the expressions complained of and hoped the magistrates would look over it this time.

Fined 5s. including costs.



After being recommended for closure by the Compensation Committee in 1909 it managed to remain open for another two years but finally closed in 1911.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 16 October, 1909.


A meeting of the East Kent Compensation Authority was held at the Guildhall, Canterbury, on Tuesday, under the chairmanship of Lord Harris, the other members of the Committee present being:- The Earl of Guilford, Lieut.-Col. S. Newton Dickenson, and Messrs. H. Fitzwalter Plumptre, H. S. Chapman. F. H. Wilbee, F. E. Burke, and H. H. Green.

Compensation in respect of a number of houses was allocated.

"Waterman's Arms," Beach Street, Deal; alehouse; tenant, Mr. George Charles Paine; brewers. Messrs. Thompson and Sons, Walmer.

Total agreed upon 704, owners to get 626, and tenant 78.



The original property was unfortunately demolished in 1954 as part of the road widening scheme, but the empty site can be found in front of the large house on the corner of Chapel Street.



CASPELL Frederick John Thomas 1866-74+

CASPELL Henry James 1877-81+ (age 52 in 1891Census)

ROBERTS Leonard 1898-1903+ Kelly's 1899Kelly's 1903

ANDREWS Andrews 1904+


PAYNE George Charles 1907

BASSETT Mrs 1907-08 Pikes 1908

HOLLAND F W to 1911


Kelly's 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1908From Pikes 1908


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-