Sort file:- Whitstable, May, 2019.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 09 May, 2019.


Earliest 1859-

Bricklayer's Arms

Latest 1894+

(Name to)

28 Harbour Place (Harbour Street 1889)



From the Kentish Chronicle 8 October 1859. Price 1d.


Saturday. (Before Capt. Slarke, Capt. Young, and H. Denne, Esq.) William Wetherley, "Bricklayers' Arms," Whitstable, was charged with selling beer at an unlawful hour. P. C. Smith, K. C. C. deposed that he went to visit the house a little before twelve on Saturday night last, and that he saw a man who was a lodger, and another who was not a lodger sitting at one table with a pint of fresh drawn beer before them. He asked Wetherley what right he had to draw beer at that hour, and he replied that by the terms of his license he understood that he might draw beer to a lodger on Sunday morning, as the other man only came in to see his lodger. Witness had previously cautioned the landlord against serving a lodger on Sunday morning. The landlord denied that he had received the caution, and called the lodger, who said that the other man came to visit him. Fined 5s. and 10s. costs.


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 24 September 1864.

Whitstable fatal accident.

A fatal accident occurred late on Tuesday night or early on Friday morning, to a youth named Edwin Barton, aged 15 years. It is conjectured that he went off on Wednesday evening in his father's boat to go to the yawls lying in the Bay, to seek for stray or waste oysters, when his boat, not being made fast, got adrift, and it is supposed he stripped and swim after his boat, and, being taken with the cramp, was drowned. His clothes were found on board one of the yawls, with several oysters in the pocket of his coat. The inquest was held in the afternoon, before T. T. Delasaux, Esq., County Coroner, at the "Bricklayers Arms Tavern." A jury of which Mr. Stephen Kemp was foreman having viewed the body, the following evidence was taken.

Stephen Leggett, a licensed victualer said ("King's Head"):- This morning at about 7:30 o'clock, I was dredging on the Seasalter oyster ground, call the "Pollard," and saw the deceased floating in about 14 feet of water, I brought him ashore in my boat, he was then quite dead.

William Henry Houch, sail-maker, was the next witness called, who said that deceased was an apprentice of his and had been to work in the usual manner during the day.

The Foreman:- Was there anything strange in his manners which could lead you to think he would commit suicide?

Witness:- No. I last saw the deceased at about 6:20 o'clock, when he left off work for the day.

This being the whole of the evidence the Coroner's summed up.

The jury returned a verdict of "Found Drowned."


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 2 July 1870.


At the County Police Office, on Saturday, William Lennox, landlord of the "Bricklayers Arms," was charged with opening his house to persons of notoriously bad characters, and thereby infringing a provision in his license.

P.C. Tomlin stated that he went in the house on the 13th inst., at 11 o’clock, having whilst in Harbour-place heard a great noise proceeding there from. The noise was produced by musical sounds, dancing, and singing, and the neighbours were complaining loudly of the annoyance they suffered. Upon entering the house he found therein twelve men and three women, amongst the company being five organ grinders and several suspicious characters, including a convicted thief. The landlady was dancing with a prostitute. He had previously cautioned defendant respecting the manner in which he was conducting his house. When witness ordered the prostitute out, the landlord said she could remain there until twelve.

Charles Browning, a grocer residing in the neighbourhood, stated that the nuisance caused at night by the noise at the defendant’s house was so great that he never knew when he went to bed whether he was going to have any rest. The house had for some time had a bad name under previous landlords and it had not improved under the present landlord.

Defendant said that being a stranger he did not know the character of those in his house.

The Magistrates fined him 2 and 10s. costs, and directed the conviction to be recorded on the defendant's license.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 8 June 1867. Price 1d.

The Magistrates granted an authority to William Lester to sell spirituous liquors in the “Duke of Cumberland,” Whitstable.

David Clay, landlord of the “Bricklayers,” Whitstable; John Holness, landlord of the “Red Lion,” Sturry; and to Mrs. Smith, landlady of the “Star,” Upper Hardres.

The license of the “Rodney's Head,” Herne was transferred from Samuel Stonham to Thomas Pratt.


If anything is incorrect on these pages, please let me know. Your help is appreciated.

I am informed that the pub became the "New Inn" from between 1891 and 1901.



WETHERLEY William 1859+ Kentish Chronicle

LENNOX William 1870+ Whitstable Times

FOSTER Eliza 1881+ (age 24 in 1881Census)

KEMP James E 1889+

PAGE Emma 1891+ (age 47 in 1891Census)

KEMP James E 1894 (Whitstable list 1894)


Kentish ChronicleKentish Chronicle

Whitstable TimesWhitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-