Sort file:- Whitstable, January, 2023.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 05 January, 2023.


Earliest 1902-

Hotel Continental

Open 2020+

29 Beach Walk (40 North Lane)


01227 280280

Hotel Continental

Above photo date unknown.

Continental Hotel 2009

Above Google image, March 2009.

Continental Hotel

Above photo 2014.

Hotel Continental

Above pictures taken from 2014.

Hotel Continental 2017

Above photo August 2017. Kindly sent by Steve Glover, (in photo.)


I believe this is a hotel, so you'd need to be a resident or guest to gain access.

The premises changed name to the "Harbour Lights" in the late 80s, but has reverted back to the "Hotel Continental" or "Continental Hotel again."

The owners since about 1995 have been Barry Green and family. The Greens also started Whitstable Brewery.


From the Whitstable Times, 15 February, 1902.


Edward Fairbrass, of 50, North Lane, was summoned for having obstructed the City Surveyor, Mr. A. C. Turley, in the execution of his duty, on January 3rd. Mr. Thorn Drury (instructed by the Town Clerk, Mr. H. Fielding) appeared in support of the case, and Mr. Hobler (instructed by Messrs. Mowll and Mowll) represented the defendant.

In this case the Mayor, Alderman Hart, and Mr. Netherclift retired from the Bench, and the chair was taken by Mr. D. Amos, Mr. T. Wacher, and Mr. W. E. Curtis remaining on the Bench.

The defendant pleaded not guilty.

Mr. Drury traced the history of the building about which the dispute had originated, at the rear of 40, North Lane, which had become known as Mr. Fairbrass's “Continental Hotel.”—(laughter)—and said the point on which the present charge was brought was that when, in pursuance of instructions from the Town Council, the Surveyor asked permission to enter the building in order to pull it down, the defendant refused to admit him. Mr. Drury then met defendant's contention that the building was outside the scope of the bye-laws, and said that the defendant had been treated with the utmost consideration by the Council.

Mr. H. Fielding, Town Clerk, was called to prove the steps taken by the Council to induce defendant to comply with the building bye laws.

Mr. A. C. Turley, city surveyor, stated that the building contravened the building bye-laws in various ways. The wall at the base was 15 1/2 inches thick and it ought to he 22 1/2 inches; the height of the rooms on the first floor was 6 feet 6 inches instead of 8 feet; the attics were not of the required height; the areas of the windows were less than required; the drains were not ventilated; the w.c.’s were in a most insanitary condition; there was no proper water supply; there was no certificate of habitation; and there were other objectionable features although they did not contravene the bye-laws. On 14th October, when defendant promised an alteration, witness told him that the only possible way of making the building comply with the bye-laws was to pull it down and re-build it. On January 3rd witness went with his foreman for the purposes of demolition and was barred out.

Mr. A. H. Campbell stated that in 1898 he was Borough Surveyor at Canterbury, and defendant then told him that the operations were the extensions to an old dwelling house.

Several old inhabitants of North Lane were called, including Mrs. Tomlin, Mr. Parsons, Mr. Robust, and Mr. Lilley, all of whom stated that they knew the building as children. It had always been a store and stable with loft over.

Mr. Hobler, for the defence, submitted that the Corporation had no case whatever. He submitted, with entire confidence, that his client had not made himself liable under the section of the act under which he had been summoned. Two things must happen before one was said to obstruct, and these were that he had deposited plans which were not approved, or that the Corporation had neglected to disapprove them and he had commenced work without their approval. He did not seriously dispute that certain portions of the building were not in conformity with the by-laws. No plans were deposited, and, therefore, the defendant did not come under the section of the act. He (Mr. Hobler) also contended that the Corporation were too late in their prosecution in that they must take proceedings within six months after the completion of the work. As to the contention that in 1898 Mr. Campbell was told by his client that he was only extending an old domestic building, and that Mr. Campbell took that statement and acted upon it as a responsible officer he contended was absurd. It stood to reason that Mr. Campbell and the committee enquired into the statements defendant had made before they took action.

Mr. Drury having replied to Mr. Hobler’s technical objections, the defendant gave evidence, and stated that he had the original deeds dated 1812, and he had known the building sixty years. It had been used as a store. His father made a stable of a portion of it but it had been disused for thirty-three years. He denied that he told Mr. Campbell he was extending an old domestic building but simply said he was adding to the old building. He completed the work in 1898 and it was first used on 1st April, 1901.

In reply to Mr. Drury defendant contended that the Surveyor ought to have given him notice, and that as he did not give any notice he considered he was privileged to go on with the work.

The Magistrates retired, and on their return into Court the Chairman said they found that in 1897 the defendant commenced the erection of the building and that in 1901 it was completed, and that he had allowed the same to be used for human habitation. The erection by the defendant was of a house not originally constructed for habitation, and the defendant did obstruct the Surveyor. The defendant would he fined 2 and 2 10s. costs.

Mr. Hobler asked for a case to be stated.

The Bench granted this.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 7 November 1936.


The Whitstable Natives are in full swing at the "Hotel Continental" now. The teams have all been picked and have all played one match at least. The "A" team have, so far been having things all their own way in their division and are unbeaten at the time of writing. They have played Hales Place, winning 12—4, Chartham, winning 10—6, and beating Canterbury by 11 games to 5. In the match against Hales Place, T. B. Dilnot put up the best performance, winning all his games. Against Chartham, Fraser and Dilnot each won three games each, only losing to O'Shea, who is the Chartham star man. In the game against Canterbury, Fraser was in his best form, winning all his games. P. Field also was on form, winning three of his games. The "B" team has not found its true form yet and results are disappointing for they have played two games, both against Hales Place, and lost rather badly, the scores being Whitstable at home losing 7 games to 9. and at Hales Place losing 5 games to 11. V. Field is the only one in the team showing his proper form, for in both matches he has lost only one game. The "C" team are doing even worse than the "B" team, having played three games. Hales Place twice and Tankerton once. The "D" team have only played one game, that being Herne Bay Centrals, which they drew. 8—8. T. H. R. Emmerson lost one game in this match, being a very creditable performance. For particulars about the Whitstable Natives Table Tennis Club, write to the Secretary, Mr. G. Harrison, Beach Cottage. Sea Wall, Whitstble.

Whitstable Natives' "A" team kept their unbeaten record intact by beating Chartham at the "Hotel Continental" by 10 games to 6. It was a very good match, the teams being level at 6 games each, when Whitstable drew away from their opponents. The most interesting game was between O’Shea, Chartham's star man, and P. Field, the game going to 22—20 in favour of Whitstable.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 7 November, 1936.


Principal - Miss Alice M. Francis.

Special Ballroom Class at the "Continental Hotel," Whitstable.

Every Tuesday, 8 - 10 p.m.

Courses of 12 lessons 12/6, Single 2/-.

Instruction and practise in latest dances and variations, including, New Vienna Waltz.

Expert training in all branches of dancing for Children and Adults.

Secretary - Park Hall, Herne Bay, and "Continental Hotel," Whitstable.


From the By Sean Axtell, 18 December 2019.

One-man Whitstable crimewave targeted Hotel Continental, Rose in Bloom, Chocolate Box and Whitstable Nursing Home.

A one-man crimewave went on a nine-month rampage of burglaries, robbery and violence as he wreaked havoc across a seaside town.

Christopher Green, 25, targeted homes, hotels, pubs and shops during his prolonged offending spree in Whitstable.

He even attacked a newsagent, hurled a rock at a terrified woman and snatched the glasses off the face of a man in the street.

Judge Mark Weekes today jailed Green for five years, telling him the residents and businesses of Whitstable could "do with a break" from his prolific offending.

Canterbury Crown Court heard the crime spree began when Green crept into a home in Wavecrest and stole keys to a Porsche 911, which he drove off in.

A fortnight later he trespassed into a home intending to steal, in Beacon House, Tankerton Beach. He was also caught committing another burglary and committing criminal damage.

Some eight months would pass during which, according to the court, no crimes were committed.

But Green’s offending turned frenetic in August this year.

Over 48 hours he burgled three homes, fraudulently used bank cards on three occasions, and ripped a till off the counter in the Hotel Continental in Beachwalk.

Green then trained his sights on the "Rose In Bloom" pub in Joy Lane, but failing to gain access he burgled the Whitstable Nursing Home in Westcliff.

When he tried using a victim’s bank card in the Chocolate Box newsagents in Old Bridge Road the owner gave chase.

However, Green threw a can of drink at his head and punched him before fleeing.

Cycling, he struck and snatched spectacles from George Holdsworth’s face, leaving the man “dazed” by the seafront two days later.

The court heard one burglary victim heard smashing from downstairs, looked out of the window and shouted at Green to leave.

“He did not leave, instead he threw a rock at her,” Prosecutor Caroline Knight said.

Green, who has 16 convictions for 28 offences, was on bail and serving a suspended prison sentence at the time of his crimewave.

The offences were largely carried out at night, a factor Judge Weekes deemed “aggravating”.

Green insisted in court he heard voices, people were following him, and repeatedly spoke unintelligibly to a judge, but a psychiatrist ruled the 25-year-old mentally fit, albeit lonely.

Mitigating, Paul Hogben explained the report deemed Green’s behaviour a cry for help, carried out by an isolated man with an unhealthy attachment with mental health services.

Green, of no fixed abode, admitted 16 fresh counts including burglary, robbery, fraud, assault and theft offences.

Jailing Green, Judge Weekes said: “Safe to say that the residents and business owners of Whitstable could do with a break from you and your activities, many of these offences are unpleasant, many would have caused great distress."

PC Mike Kingwell, who was part of the team working on the case, said: "I hope Christopher Green realises his offending has consequences.

"Behind his crimes are victims who not only have had the inconvenience of losing their belongings, but also had to come to terms with the unsettling intrusion into their home or personal space through Green’s actions.

"I expect a lot of people in Whitstable will be looking forward to Christmas, knowing Green will be unable to cause any more upset to the community."


From the By Joe Wright, 28 May 2020.

VW Golf narrowly rescued from sea at Whitstable.

Beach-goers jumped into action to help stop a VW Golf being swallowed up by the incoming tide.

The car was moments away from being submerged and dragged out to sea off the coast of Whitstable this afternoon.

Car rescue 2020

Going, going, almost gone... the VW Golf was narrowly saved from the depths.

Thought to have been a jet-ski launch gone wrong, the incident drew in a crowd near to the Hotel Continental.

With the aid of a 4x4, it was towed out of the water.

Passer-by and Labour parliamentary candidate Charlotte Cornell saw the drama unfold.

"It was about to get dragged out and would have been completely gone," she said.

"They struggled to get it out for about 15 minutes.

"When they eventually did, even the headlights were swimming with water."


From an email received 5 January 2023.

In the 1921 census, there is an entry for a Marine Cafe Beaulan Hotel run by an Italian called Ilanio Offredi. Then in the 1939 Register, he appears again as the caterer for the Continental Hotel. He's not the licensee, but perhaps the Continental was at one time called something like the Beaulan Hotel.

Also, you mention a premises called the Gunson Commercial Hotel. Well I don't know if this is the same place but I stumbled across a Temperance Hotel in the 1891 census run by someone called Alfred Northwood. Ironically, a member of my husband's boozy/criminal Olive family is working there - we wonder if she was 'put in' to rob the sober Christians. It's also in the 1911 census run by someone called Fred Hoad.

So far looks like almost every single one of the landlords pre 1900 were either already on my husband's tree or have been added as they're connected by marriage, and I'm only up to Letter C. This wasn't a 'family affair', this was a cartel!

Well, Ellen B Olive (15) who was working at the Temperance Hotel in 1891 was already on our tree and is very much related to my husband. The irony here is that she was the daughter of Thomas Richardson Olive and Susannah Hunt. She was the daughter of Stephen Hunt who ran the "Rose In Bloom" and was a thorn in Superintendant Walker's side for about thirty years! Very funny.

Alison Dilnutt.



FAIRBRASS Edward 1902+

FRANCIS Alice M Miss 1936+

GREEN Barry 1995+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-