Sort file:- Margate, August, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 18 August, 2021.


Earliest 1863

Station Hotel

Latest 1953+

(Name to)

19 Station Road



A mischievous poltergeist was rumoured to play around in this pub, apparently it would turn the beer pumps off!

The pub was opened in 1863 and was known as the "Station Hotel." In the 1950s there were less visitors coming to Margate and the brewery at the time decided to change the pub's name. The name the "Flag and Whistle" was chosen by a railway worker appropriately!


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 13 April, 1901.


On Tuesday afternoon, an inquest was held before Mr. Coroner Boys and a jury of whom Mr. R. Wenham was foreman, on the body of Mr. Gustavus B. Fostar, of the "Station Hotel," and formerly for many years, manager of the "Hall-by-the-Sea." Mr. W. H. Armstrong, solicitor, watched the case for Mrs. Foster and family.

Mrs. Louise Foster, the widow, identified the body and said her husband was 53 years of age. He had been in good health, with the exception of occasional headache. At about a quarter to six on Good Friday, he went into the cellar to get a bottle of wine, which he handed to her on the top of the stairs. He then said he would have a cap of tea in her sitting-room, and it was handed him by their daughter. He then said his head felt queer, and he became unconscious and died in about ten minutes, without speaking again. She gave him brandy, hot water, and all she could think of. She telephoned to seven doctors, but they were all out, excepting Dr. Henning, who arrived directly after he was called. Her husband was an abstemious man; she never saw him intoxicated. They had been married nine years, during which time he had not needed a doctor. Replying to Mr. Armstrong she said after he complained of his head, be leant forward on the table and died.

Harriett Foster, daughter, said when she handed her father a cap of tea, half of which he drank, he said “Harriett, my girl, my head is very bad,” and then became unconscious, did not speak again, and died in about ten minutes. Her father had complained of pains in his head, but otherwise he was quite well. She did not think he had gone out of doors for a fortnight. He dined at about two o’clock, eating a good dinner. In reply to Mr. Armstrong, she said during the time her father had been married to her stepmother, he had not found it necessary to call in a doctor.

Dr. Hemming said he went to the deceased directly he was called to him. He found him being supported in a chair at the table. He had him restored and placed into a lying position, and found he was dead, and had been a few moments. All the symptoms were perfectly natura1. He made a post-mortem on Sunday, and found the immediate cause of death was the rupture of a blood vessel on the surface of the brain, which would cause general paralyses of the faculties. The effusion was so great, that he should have thought he could not have lived a few minutes as stated, but would have died instantly. It was a case of apoplexy. The heart was flabby, and all the organs were in a state of degeneration, which would be accounted for by the fact that he was lately of sedentary habits. The rupture he had referred to was quite sufficient to cause death.

The Jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.



SAMUELS Emmanuel J 1890+ (boarding house and restaurant)

AVERY Walter R 1891+ (also boarding house)

Last pub licensee had FORSTAR/FOSTER Gustavus B to Apr/1901 dec'd

BENNETT Charles William 1903+

THUNDER Ernest Leonard 1911+ (age 32 in 1911Census)

WARREN Horace T 1913+

STEVEN Robert Clark 1922+

NORRIS Harry J 1930+

ASHLEY William G 1938-39+ (age 52 in 1939)




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-