|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
Facing South Barracks
10-12 Walmer Road/Dover Road
Further mentions found in Pigot's directory of 1828 and 1840 with an address of Walmer Road.
Developments were taking place in Lower Walmer around 1848 and the building of St. Saviours had just started, it was consecrated on 2nd July 1849 and a celebration was held at the "Royal Standard."
Due to developments the original pub was demolished and rebuilt around 1865 to a site a little further up Dover Road and on the same side.
The pub was closed by 1870 to become a home for the Rev. Charles Elvin and remained a private residence known as Wexcombe House and the Grange.
Just after WW1 it was again changed to become the "Fair Maid of Kent."
BLYTHE Stephen 1810-21
SNELLING Henry 1821+26
KOPETZKY Joseph 1826-28+
PEARCE Thomas 1832-39
NASH Thomas 1839-55+
BARNES Thomas 1858+
LAWS John William 1859-61 (Census)
1865 rebuilt slightly further up the road
ATTWOOD John Jennings 1865+
Closed around 1870
From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29
From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34
From the Pigot's Directory 1839
From the Pigot's Directory 1840
From Bagshaw Directory 1847
From Melville's Directory 1858
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-