DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Canterbury, December, 2018.

Page Updated:- Friday, 21 December, 2018.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton & Rory Kehoe

Earliest 1878-

White Horse

Latest 1969

75 Wincheap Street

Canterbury

Canterbury map 1874

Above map, 1874, by courtesy of Canterbury Library.

White Horse 1965

Above photograph taken by Edwards Wilmot in 1965.

King's Head 2009

Above image from Google, September 2009, showing the former "White Horse" a few doors away from the "King's Head."

Former White Horse 2017

Above photo, August 2017, kindly taken and sent by Rory Kehoe.

 

The buildings in this area have changed their numbers on several occasions, in 1878 the "White Horse" was listed as being number 75 and 76 and at the time were being knocked into one to make the one house. In 1960 the house numbers changed once again, the pub changing from 198 to 83.

The building is considered to be of 16th or 17th century and according to the book the Inns of Canterbury by Edward Wilmot, 1988, was scheduled to become an ancient monument at that time.

The pub unfortunately closed in 1969.

 

LICENSEE LIST

PENTECOST Joseph 1874-82+ Post Office Directory 1874CensusPost Office Directory 1882 (also carrier)

TERRY Thomas 1889+ Historic Canterbury web site

NEVARD Walter 1917+ Historic Canterbury web site

http://pubshistory.com/WhiteHorse.shtml

 

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

CensusCensus

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Historic Canterbury web siteHistoric Canterbury web site www.machadoink.com

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML