DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Strood, October, 2021.

Page Updated:- Friday, 15 October, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1828-

Cobham Inn

Latest 1929

5 High Street

Strood

Cobham Inn 1908

Above photo taken in 1908 also showing the "Old Bridge Tavern."
The light fitting on the left of the photograph marks the start of Rochester Bridge from the Strood side. Both of these buildings are still there today although being used for a completely different purpose. This can be seen from the picture May 2014.

Cobham Inn  postcard 1910

Above postcard, circa 1910.

Cobham Inn 2014

Above image from Google, May 2014.

 

In 1869-70 the pub was part of a consortium who were advertising their goods of selling tea in response to grocers' selling beer and wine. (Click for further details.)

I am informed that the original pub burnt down after an explosion in 1929, and the license was transferred to the "Spotted Cow."

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 16 September 1845.

ROCHESTER. Accident.

A fatal accident happened on Tuesday to a young man of the name of James Holland, aged 22, son of the postman employed in the Rochester post-office, in the Stroud delivery. It appeared he had, in company with a young man, gone down the river Medway in a boat, for the purpose of shooting wild ducks in the marshes below Gillingham. After being some time on shore, he went to get his fowling piece out of the boat, and in reaching for it very unthinkingly laid hold of the muzzle of the gun, and drawing it towards him, it is supposed the lock struck against the side of the boat, which caused it to go off, and lodged the whole of the contents in the young man's breast, near the shoulder. He was conveyed home as quick as possible, and taken to Mr. Fishender’s, "Cobham Inn," where he was immediately attended by Mr. Steel, the surgeon; but from the great loss of blood he never rallied, and died about nine o'clock in the evening.

 

Gloucester Citizen 04 January 1929.

INN DESTROYED. FIRE FOLLOWS EXPLOSION.

An explosion caused a fire which destroyed the "Cobham Inn," Strood, near Chatham.

Mr. F. J. Regan, the landlord, who was burned about the head and face, said to a reporter:- "Just before six o'clock when I struck a match to light an oil lamp in the public bar I was blown right over the top of the counter and landed on my face on the floor at the other side. There was a blinding flash of flame and a terrific report. The plate-glass windows of the bar were wrenched out of their frames and blown across the road. I have been told that I scrambled out of the house and then, when the place was a mass of flames, went back among the flames with a bucket of water, but I have no recollection of doing this."

Mr. Reagan said he thought that the explosion was caused by petrol becoming mixed in some way with the paraffin.

 

The premises now appears to be an ebay shop.

 

LICENSEE LIST

JAMES William 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

FISHENDEN James 1841-51+ (age 50 in 1841Census)

Last pub licensee had CROCKFORD Thomas Samuel 1858-62+ (age 59 in 1861Census)

KEELER William James 1874+

FOUQUET John Eugene 1881-91+ (age 49 in 1891Census)

REGAN William 1901-03+ (age 56 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

REGAN Francis Joseph 1913-22+

REGAN F L Mr 1929

https://pubwiki.co.uk/CobhamInn.shtml

 

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML