Sort file:- Sidcup, April, 2023.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 13 April, 2023.


Earliest 1832-

Black Horse


(Name to)

1 High Street


Black Horse 1897

Above photo 1897.

Black Horse 1898

Above photo 1898.

Black Horse 1900

Above postcard, circa 1900, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Black Horse 1909

Above postcard, circa 1909, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Black Horse 1909

Above postcard, circa 1909, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Black Horse 1912

Above photo, circa 1912, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Black Horse 2007

Above photo 2007, by Steve Thoroughgood.

Black Horse

Above photo, date unknown by Roger Botton.


I also have reference to an "Old Black Horse" addressed at Halfway Street, which I believe was later renamed "Ye Olde Black Horse." However, for a short time in the early 1900s this pub was also known as the "Old Black Horse." I have no dates as yet though. I am assuming that the above are indeed the same building.

The pub after re-opening, date unknown, was renamed the "Blue Rose."


From the Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 28 May, 1833.

On Thursday morning an inquest was held before Mr. Carttar, coroner of Kent, at the sign of the "Black Horse," Sidcup, on view of the body of Thomas Boast.

It appeared in evidence that the deceased was, up to the time of his death, in the employ of Mr. Nash, paper manufacturer, of North Cray, Kent, and was coming to London with a wagon laden with paper on Monday morning last. On arriving at Sidcup the horses took fright at a machine for cleaning wheat, which stood at the side of the road (while the men carrying the same were resting), and started off at full speed, and the deceased, in endeavouring to stop them, was knocked down, and the wheels went over his head and body. Every assistance was rendered, but he died almost immediately.

Verdict, "Accidental Death," with a deodand of 1s. on the wagon and horses.


West Kent Guardian - Saturday 02 October 1841.

Sidcup. Distressing accident.

An inquest was held, at the "Black Horse Inn," on Friday morning last, touching the death of a youth named Arthur Hollands, the brother of Mr. Hollands, of Farningham, who met with his death on the previous Thursday under the most painful circumstances. From the evidence adduced, it seems that the lad had been to the races on Tuesday and was returning home with some friends in a fruit van, when near the turnpike gate he alighted and attempted to stop the horse, but in doing so was thrown down, the wheels passing over his head. The poor fellow was found by his companions in a dreadful state, bleeding from the head and mouth, and was taken to the above-named inn, when medical assistance was immediately sent for, but in vain, the sufferer being so dreadfully injured that he lingered in excruciating pain till Thursday morning, when he expired. The jury having viewed the body, returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

The event has caused much sensation in the neighbourhood. The deceased was about 15 years old, and was guard of the Farningham coach, and very much respected by the public for his industry and attention to business. His melancholy and ultimate end is much regretted by his numerous friends.


Morning Post 27 July 1844.


George Plummer, 50, was indicted, on Thursday, for the manslaughter of his wife, by having neglected to provide for her support, and causing her to be exposed to the inclemency of the weather without proper sustenance. There were several counts in the indictment, varying the form of the charge.

It will be recollected that the prisoner was indicted at the winter assizes, 1843, but, from some cause or other, no one attended to prosecute, and the prisoner was consequently discharged by proclamation. A bill was subsequently preferred against him, and he was now brought up to take his trial.

Mr. Bodkin appeared for the prosecution; the prisoner had no Counsel.

Mr. Bodkin, in stating the case to the Jury, explained that by law a husband was bound to support and maintain his wife, and the charge against the prisoner was that he had neglected to do so, and that by reason of that neglect and the refusal of the prisoner to receive his wife at a time when she was in a destitute and almost dying state, he had caused her death, and was thus amenable to the present charge. The Learned Counsel went on to say that the prisoner had filled the situation of gardener to a nobleman in the neighbourhood of Sidcup, and had been separated from his wife for some time before her death, and had made her an allowance of half-a-crown a week. She became, however, in a most destitute and miserable condition, and was found by a policeman late at night, to whom she stated that she had no home to go to. He took her to the prisoner's house, and asked him to admit her, but with offensive language, he refused to do so, and the decease, very shortly afterwards died, and from the medical testimony there could be no doubt that her death was occasioned by her state of destitution and want of nourishment. The Learned Counsel went on to state that it would appear that directly before the death of the deceased, a medical gentleman, who would be called before the Jury, had given her a letter to take to the relieving officer of the district, requiring him to give the deceased relief, but it would appear no attention was paid to the request. He (the Learned Counsel) had no hesitation in saying, that if this letter had been received by the relieving officer, he had grossly neglected his duty in not attending to it. Every destitute person was entitled to relief, and if any relieving officer, under such circumstances, neglected to perform the duty that devolved upon him, there was very little doubt that he would be liable to have a charge of a similar nature to the present preferred against him. The Learned Counsel then called the following witnesses Hannah Riley deposed that she lived at Foot’s Cray, and knows the prisoner, and the deceased, hit wife. The deceased died on the 23d of November, 1843, and on the Sunday before her death she had asked witness to give her a lodging for the night. She remained at witness’s house three or four days, and during that time she appeared to be very ill.

Thomas Mumford, an illegitimate child of the deceased’s previous to her marriage with the prisoner, deposed that he saw his mother on the 19th of November, when she appeared very ill, and complained of great pain. Prisoner and his mother had not lived together for some time before this, and he used to allow her half-a-crown a week, which she generally received on Sunday, and he believed she did so on the week previous to her death.

Cross-examined by the prisoner:— Witness was not aware of the reason of their being apart.

Mary Anne Mumford, wife of the last witness, spoke of the miserable state of the deceased a short time previous to her death. She also proved that the prisoner and his wife had been separated for four years, and that he used to allow her half-a-crown a week.

Mr. T. Pritchard, surgeon, of Sidcup, deposed that he knew the deceased, and had noticed her particularly for several days before her death. On the 21st of November, two days before her death, she came to his surgery, and at that time she appeared to be in a dying slate, and he told her that she was not in a condition to go about, and indeed he considered that she was hardly able to go away from his surgery. He gave her a letter to the relieving officer of the district, in which he described her condition, and requested him to relieve her. Shortly afterwards he heard the was dead, and by the direction of the Coroner, he made a post mortem examination of the deceased. He found the stomach and bowels perfectly empty, the liver was diseased, and there was also an extensive ulceration of the lower part of the body.

By the Court:— Witness had no doubt the death of the deceased was accelerated by the want of proper nourishment and clothing.

William Earl, a police constable, stationed at Sidcup, deposed that on the Wednesday previous to the death of the deceased person he saw her, and had some conversation with her, during which she complained of the conduct of her husband. She appeared very ill at this time, and he persuaded her to go to the relieving officer. He saw her again at eleven o’clock at night, and she was then very wet, and in a miserable state. She went towards the house where the prisoner lodged, and witness heard her ask him to take her in. Witness told the prisoner, who was at the window, that his wife was in a miserable state, and wished him to let her in. The prisoner replied that he had no lodging for her. Witness told him that he was her husband and ought to provide for her; to which the prisoner replied, that she was a nasty ——, and he should not get up, or trouble himself about her, and he then shut down the window. After this witness took the deceased to the house of the prisoner's father, who also refused to receive her, and he then offered to give her a shelter in the station house, but the deceased would not accept it, and walked away. About three o'clock the next morning he found her in an outhouse, and she was then wet through, and very ill. Witness got some beer for her, which she drank, and he did not see her any more alive.

Sarah Coomber deposed that, at the time in question, her husband kept the "Black Horse" public-house at Sidcup. On the Thursday before the death of the deceased she came to witness’s house and wished for a lodging. She appeared to be very ill and in a most destitute condition. The prisoner was in the house at the time, and witness told him the state of his wife, when he replied that she was no wife of his, and had not been for many years. She allowed the deceased to remain in the house during the night, and she was put to bed. The next morning she was insensible, and died shortly afterwards.

A servant in the employ of Mrs. Coomber proved that she accompanied the deceased to her bedroom, and she appeared so weak as to be hardly able to stand.

Another witness deposed that a day or two before the death of the deceased she came to her house, and, seeing her miserable condition, she sailed to the prisoner who was passing at the time, and asked him to take her away, when he replied, "Turn her out, I won’t have her."

Mr. Pritchard was re-called, and, in answer to questions put to him, he said that the deceased would no doubt have lived for some time if proper care had been taken of her. Diarrhoea was the immediate cause of death, and he was of opinion that the death was hastened by her exposure to the weather on the Wednesday night.

The prisoner, in his defence, said that he and the deceased had mutually agreed to separate, and he allowed her half a-crown a week, which was all he could afford. She had come to him several times in a most filthy condition, and it was impossible that he could live with her.

Mr. Baron Gurney then addressed the Jury, and said there could be no doubt that in law a husband was bound to provide for and support his wife, and if by neglecting to do so, he caused her death, he would subject himself to a charge of manslaughter. The present case, however, presented some peculiar features. It appeared that the parties had agreed to separate, and that the prisoner undertook to make his wife an allowance of half-a-crown a week, and there did not appear to be any proof that at the time the application was made to the prisoner to admit his wife into his house on the night when the exposure to the weather was said to have caused her death, that he was at all aware she was in a dying condition. The Learned Judge then went through the evidence, and left the case in the hands of the Jury.

After a short deliberation they returned a verdict of Not Guilty.


From the Record of Deaths 1917.


Thomas Hill, born 1863, age 54, died 7 April 1917 at Charing Cross Hospital, living at the "Black Horse," Halfway Street, Sidcup.


From an email received 6 February 2019.

Just managed to identify the latest one in my collection. Somebody has, years ago, tried to scratch out the name of the pub, but not enough to defeat me.

George Kadwell from the Black Horse in Sidcup.


Steve Shaw.

Black Horse pewter mug 1891Black Horse pewter mug 1891
From an email received 17 June 2022.

Black Horse pewter mug 1880s

Above photos showing pewter mug possibly 1880s of George Gregory. Kindly sent by Gemma Hayes.



MASSEE John 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

COOMBS Edward 1841-43+ (age 50 in 1841Census)

BLACKSHAW Jabas 1851+ (age 62 in 1851Census)

BEACHAM John 1858-61+ (age 41 in 1861Census)

GREGORY George 1881-82+ (age 43 in 1881Census)

KADWELL George 1891-97+ (age 54 in 1891Census)

GODDARD William James 1903+ Kelly's 1903

BUXTON Thomas Arthur 1911-13+ (age 31 in 1911Census)

FEIST Charles 1918-22+

THOMAS Archibald Ernest 1930-38+


Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-