Sort file:- Chatham, July, 2019.

Page Updated:- Friday, 26 July, 2019.


Earliest 1793-

Royal Oak

Latest 1860+

346 High Street



I also appear to have the "Little Crown" address as 346 High Street, so believe there may be a renumbering at one time.

The Licensing Records of 1872 stated the premises held a Full License and was owned by Edward Winch of Chatham.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 10 March, 1860. Price 1d.


James Austen, a soldier, was charged with stealing at Chatham, on the 12th Jan., a tobacco box and £1 16s. 3d. in money, the property of Henry Bassett, another soldier.

Mr. Addison was for the prosecution.

The prosecutor and prisoner, with others, had been drinking together in a public-house in Chatham (the “Royal Oak”), when the prosecutor, on getting a little too much to drink, was put to bed by the prisoner. Prosecutor saw the prisoner take from his pocket his tobacco box, and subsequently upon getting out of bed he found, upon examining his pockets, that his money was gone. He then went down stairs and complained that he had been robbed. The prisoner had then left the house. At a later period in the evening the prisoner was seen in the possession of the money, when it was proved that on the same evening he had borrowed a shilling of a private soldier. The prisoner on the night in question went to a linen draper's shop, in company with a female, and purchased a dress, changing half-a-sovereign. It was further proved by another witness that the prisoner on the same evening had in his possession £1 10s. in gold. He was found guilty and sentenced to six months' hard labour.


Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 8 December 1860.

Robbery and Violence.

James Nerney, Francis Carter, and Alan Clare, soldiers were charged with robbery from the person of William Martin Harris, at Chatham, on 9th September, with violence.

Mr. Barrow prosecuted.

William Martin Harris, Lowestoft, Suffolk, said he was on a visit to Chatham, on 9th September, and went to the "Royal Oak" public house. Having occasion to go to the back yard, he called to Carter to show him the way. He accordingly showed him up with yard. He had been there about 3 minutes, when he was attacked by two soldiers. One fastened him by the arm and another held him by his breast. His watch was in his pocket and a silver guard suspended from his neck which one of the soldiers snatched and broke part off. They then went back into the taproom. Witness then acquainted the landlord with what had happened, and gave to him his watch to take care of. He did not give the prisoners into custody as he was busy and wished to get home.

Jonathan Leonard Prompton, soldier, said he was in the tap room, on the evening in question. He saw two of the prisoners come from the yard. He heard prosecutor say that two soldiers had attempted to steal his watch, but had only got part of the chain. He also heard Nerney in a low voice say to Carter "it's time I was off."

Benjamin Franks, soldier, said that on the evening in question, between 9 and 10 o'clock, the prisoner Clare was given into his custody. On searching him he found part of a watch chain inside the lining of his hat.

Sergeant Fisher, of the Kent County Constabulary, apprehended Clare on the following Monday. He said he knew nothing about the robbery.

On subsequently taking the other prisoners. Nerney said it was he that has got the chain, and he was only sorry he did not get the watch. This was the case for the prosecution.

Clare put in a statement to the effect that, although he was in the same room with the other two prisoners on the evening of the robbery. He was not in their company, and he could not account for the chain being found in his cap in any other way than it must have been put there by one of the other prisoners.

His lordship said there was no evidence against Clare, and if he it had not been for his statement, there would have been no proof that he had been to the "Royal Oak" at all.

Clare was acquitted, and Carter was sentenced to 4 years' penal servitude, he having been previously convicted of felony. Nerny, who had been tried for burglary, was sentenced to 7 years' penal servitude.


Maidstone and Kentish Journal, 12 September, 1870.

Chatham Police Court. This day Monday.

Before F. E. Guise, Esq., Stipendairy Magistrate.

John Hughes, landlord of the "Royal Oak Inn," at Chatham, was charged with unlawful refusing to admit the police into his house when called upon to do so, on Sunday, 11th August.

The defendant was further charged with permitting drunkenness in the house, on Sunday, 14th ult.

The case was adjourned until Thursday.



LLOYD Arthur 1793+ Trade Directory 1793

CARLOW James 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

GRIST John 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

DUCKETT William 1838+ Wright's Topography 1838

HUGHES John 1870+

RULE Henry 1872+ Licensing Records 1872


Trade Directory 1793Universal British Directory of Trade 1793

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Wright's Topography 1838Wright's Topography 1838

Licensing Records 1872Licensing Records 1872


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-