Sort file:- Folkestone, September, 2022.

Page Updated:- Monday, 12 September, 2022.


Earliest 1830

Cooper's Arms

Latest 1855

(Name to)

78 Bail Street



Earliest date known being 1830 when John Kennett open the pub. by 1847 George Featherbee held the licence and called himself victualler and cooper. Presumably the pub was named and run by a succession of coopers, but on 16th October 1850, he was asked to remove the sign for some reason.

It appears that although the sign was probably removed and the premises was now operating as the "London Stores," licensees Ward and How were still referred to as being licensees of the "Cooper's Arms," so evidently the name apparently survived.


Kentish Mercury 24 October 1840.

An awful instance of the uncertainty of human life occurred here on Saturday evening, Oct 17th Mr. John Kennett, cooper, of Bail Street, having retried upstairs for the purpose of changing his dress, was found in a state of insensibility by his housekeeper, who was from home when he was taken ill. He died in about half an hour afterwards. The deceased, who was much respected, was in his 66th year, and unmarried.

Coopers Arms.


Kentish Gazette 27 October 1840.

An awful instance of the uncertainty of human life occurred here on Saturday evening, October 17th. Mr. John Kennett, cooper, of Bail Street, having retired upstairs for the purpose of changing his dress, was found in a state of insensibility by his housekeeper, who was from home when he was taken ill. He died in about half an hour afterwards.

Could this be the “John Kennett," cooper, listed as 1st landlord of the "Cooper's Arms."


Folkestone Chronicle 13 October 1855.

Tuesday October 9th:- Present W. Major Esq., G. Kennicott Esq., and J. Kelcey Esq.

The Adjourned General Licensing Meeting was held this day, when the following licence was granted: William Samuel How, Cooper's Arms.

Note: More Bastions lists How as first licensee at "London Stores."


Southeastern Gazette 26 October 1858.

Local News.

The license of the Coopers' Arms was transferred to Philip Brown, of Clerkenwell. Last year the same license was granted to Mr. Brown, who transferred it to Mr. Dent, but on his application, and refusing to produce a character from where he had been residing, the license was refused.

Note: Dates and names are at variance with More Bastions.


Folkestone Observer 13 July 1861.

Disorderly conduct in a public house.

Tuesday July 9th:- Before Captain Kennicott, R.N.

Filmer Tyas, on bail, was charged with disorderly conduct in the Cooper's Arms, The Bayle, on the previous evening.

According to the evidence of Mr. Murphy, the landlord, and Sergeant Newman, the defendant came into the house on Monday evening, at a quarter to eleven, and having called for some drink, addressed the landlord in very offensive language, asserting that he would do what he liked in the house, and he'd be ------ if they should turn him out. When Sergeant Newman came to the house, he at first refused to leave with him, but ultimately went out, and was then given into custody. Mr. Murphy said his object was not to punish Tyas, but to obtain protection. If Tyas would promise not to come to his house again he would be satisfied. But Tyas was not disposed to get off in that way, and proceeded with a narrative of the delinquencies of the landlord, who kept his house open all night, played at dominoes with his customers, and got up the dispute on the previous evening because he lost with defendant at the game of “coddle”, and then abused him, taunting him with having been in Canterbury jail. Defendant called John Whittle to support his statement. The bench, as there had been irregularities on both sides, would not impose a fine, if defendant would pay the costs; and Murphy promptly offered to pay the costs, defendant repaying at his convenience, providing he would promise not to trouble him with his company again. Defendant would, however, have no such kindness. He had not a penny about him, and there was no money at home; he would go to prison, as he had been so treated. At length, by persuasion of his employer he said he would take Murphy's offer, but as Murphy had by this time left the court, his employer advanced the money.

Note: This case appears some years after the house had apparently been renamed as "London Stores!"


From the Folkestone Chronicle 27 July, 1861.


Monday July 22nd:- Before the Mayor, R.W. Boarer, and W.F. Browell, Esqs.

Patrick Murphy, landlord of the "Cooper's Arms," Bayle Street, appeared on a summons, obtained against him by P.C. Swain, on the charge of letting a dog go abroad, on the 16th July, after a notice of canine madness had been issued, unmuzzled.

Ingram Swain, being sworn, said he was a police constable. On the 16th July, was on duty in High Street. He saw a large dog, which he had known to be on the premises of defendant, called the "Cooper's Arms," for the last six months. On Friday last witness saw the dog on High Street and Broad Street, at large without a muzzle, no person having care of it. Knew the dog to be in a state of disease on that day. Had heard defendant call the dog into his house at different times of the night, and lock the door after. Had seen defendant's wife's sister with the dog. Had also seen defendant with the dog in Sandgate, and coming back, in the month of May.

The defendant in defence said that the dog was not his own; it belonged to a person in Dover. He said that he offered to purchase poison necessary to destroy it, only he did not think he had authority to do so. He was, however, quite willing to have the dog destroyed if the magistrates wished. He could not understand why he was called up before them, when there were 50 dogs running about daily, without muzzles. There were two dogs in the court, since the magistrates had been sitting, who were unmuzzled.

The Mayor said the case was dismissed, Mr. Murphy not being proved the owner of the dog.

Note: This case appears some years after the house had apparently been renamed as "London Stores!"


From the Folkestone Observer 27 July, 1861.


Monday July 22nd:- Before th Mayor, R.W. Boarer and R.F. Browell, Esqs.

Patrick Murphy, "Cooper's Arms," was summoned for suffering his dog to go at large. Evidence was given as to the dog being at large in the streets, and being cared for during the last six months by the defendant; who, however, denied his ownership, saying it had been brought to his house for another person, who had gone away, and he was himself afraid of an action for damages should he destroy it. The bench dismissed the case.

Note: This case appears some years after the house had apparently been renamed as "London Stores!"


Folkestone Observer 24 August 1861.

Annual Licensing Sessions.

The Magistrates sat on Thursday at the Sessions Hall for granting ale and spirit licences.

In the case of the Cooper's Arms, The Bayle, some difficulty had occurred in consequence of an outgoing tenant's neglect, and temporary authority was given until next transfer day. The Mayor remarked that the house had been conducted very badly during the past year. Mr. Murphy, the tenant in possession, said that he had a harmonic meeting on Saturday evenings, and that might give offence to persons of weak nerves. He also allowed persons to be there for sparring with gloves. He could not get a living in a place like The Bayle without some attraction to the house. The Clerk to the Magistrates was not to enable a man to get a living, but for the necessities of the neighbourhood. But because he had had a licence for the house he was not to imagine that he was to draw people there to get a living.

Murphy: It would be of no use without some attraction.

The Magistrates' Clerk: Yes, I think there is no necessity for a licence there.


Folkestone Observer 26 October 1861.

Transfer of Licence.

Tuesday October 22nd:- Before Captain Kennicott R.N., and James Tolputt Esq.

The following licences was transferred on Wednesday, namely, The Coopers Arms, the Bayle, from Philip Brown to Patrick Murphy.

Note: More Bastions has this change taking place at "London Stores?"



In 1862, the same premises was serving ale as the "London Stores."

Assuming no number changes for Bail Street, when the pub, after changing names several times ended up as the "Isle of Cyprus" it was numbered 78.



KENNETT John c1830-c1840 Bastions cooper

PUNNETT James 1840-46 (age 40 in 1841Census) Bastions

FEATHERBEE  George 1846-50 Bagshaw's Directory 1847 victualler and cooper

BRIDGELAND John 1851-52 Bastions

WARD John 1852-55 Bastions

Renamed "London Stores"


More Bastions stated that the pub changed name to the "London Stores" from here, but the papers still referred to this as the "Cooper's Arms."


HOW William Samuel Oct/1855-57 (Folkestone Chronicle "Cooper's Arms" incorrectly named?)

DENT John 1857-60 Bastions

BROWN Philip Oct/1861 (Folkestone Observer Cooper's Arms)

MURPHY Henry Patrick Oct/1861-63 (Folkestone Observer Cooper's Arms)


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Folkestone ObserverFrom the Folkestone Observer

BastionsFrom More Bastions of the Bar by Easdown and Rooney

Folkestone ChronicleFrom the Folkestone Chronicle


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-



LINK to Even More Tales From The Tap Room