Sort file:- Folkestone, October, 2022.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 06 October, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton and Jan Pedersen

Earliest 1843

Radnor Inn

Latest 1892

14 Radnor Street




It is suggested that this was previously called the "Rodney."


Dover Chronicle, 15 October 1842.

FOLKESTONE. (From our own Correspondent.)

A serious disturbance took place here, on Sunday last, just after the close of Divine service in the morning, which would probably have ended in bloodshed, had it not been for the prompt and energetic measures taken by the mayor and magistrates.

It appears that William Downing, one of the police, having witnessed an assault in High Street, on Mr. Suelling, a butcher, by a man of the name of Cherry, a miner employed in the works of the Railway, proceeded very properly to take the offender into custody, and succeeded in doing so; but the prisoner was soon rescued by some of his companions, who shortly came up.

A sort of running fight then ensued between the rescuers and the police, and the man ultimately succeeded in getting into the "Railway" beer-shop, in Radnor Street. The Mayor, on being informed of the riot, immediately attended on the spot, where he was soon joined by two of his brother magistrates, (Mr. David and Mr. William Major), and called out the whole of the police constables, who for some time endeavoured to recapture the man, but were presented by a large body of his comrades, who had assembled in the beer-shop. The mob being continually increasing both within and without the house, and amounting at least to between four and five hundred persons, who evinced much disposition to riot and violence, the Mayor sent for the Preventive force, to aid the civil power in quelling the disturbance, and directed Mr. Bond, the clerk to the Justices, to read the Riot Act, which was accordingly done. The Preventive force, under the command of Captain Peal and Lieutenant Kennicott, soon dispersed the mob from the front of the beer-shop, and the constables, after considerable difficulty, succeeded at length in capturing the man on the roof of the house, to which he had escaped to avoid being taken. Several of the mob within the house repeatedly threatened that there should be bloodshed, if the police persisted in capturing Cherry. The preventative force behaved with the greatest forbearance, and no one was hurt except Downing, the policeman, who received several violent blows from the offender, who was a very powerful and active man. The man was taken and lodged in gaol just previous to the commencement of Divine service in the afternoon. Two other men were subsequently taken for having joined in rescuing Cherry, and the three prisoners were examined, before the Mayor and Magistrates, on Monday morning, and fully committed for trial at the approaching Borough Quarter Sessions for the misdemeanour.

(This most likely refers to the "Radnor Inn" rather than the "Railway" as mentioned in the piece. Date and location are both wrong for it to have been the "Railway." Jan Pedersen. Less this a new one we never knew about. Paul Skelton.)

Southeastern Gazette 25 January 1853.

Wednesday, January 19th: Before D. Major and T. Golder Esqs.

Charles Hill, landlord of the Radnor Inn, pleaded Guilty to having his house open on Sunday, the 9th inst., for the sale of beer at a quarter past 12 o'clock.

Superintendent Steer stated that several of the publicans were in the habit of opening considerably before the time appointed, which caused him to lay down the present information.

Fined 1s. and costs, with a caution not to offend again, or the full penalty would be enforced.


Southeastern Gazette 21 March 1854.

Wednesday, March 15th: Before The Mayor, J. Kelcey and S. Godden, Esqs.

Charles Hill, the landlord of the Radnor Inn, Radnor- Street, was fined 20s. and costs for opening his house for the sale of beer before half-past 12 o’clock on Sunday, the 6th inst.


Southeastern Gazette 4 July 1854.

Wednesday, June 28th: Before W. Major and G. Kennicott, Esqs.

Jacob Gibson was summoned, but did not appear, to answer the information of Charles Hill, landlord of the Radnor Inn, for wilful damage done to a table on the evening of the 25th.

Fined 2s. 9d. and 13s. costs, or fourteen days’ hard labour.

Robert Bran was summoned for a similar offence, but did not appear.

Ordered to pay 2s. 9d. and 8s. costs, or fourteen days’ hard labour.


Southeastern Gazette 19 September 1854.

Annual Licensing Day.

Monday: Before the Mayor, S. Mackie, W. Major, T. Golder, G. Kennicott, and T. Kingsriorth, Esqs.

Before renewing the licenses, the Mayor addressed the publicans, informing them that anew law was passed, explaining to them the particular features of the Act, and hoped they would adhere to it. The whole of the licenses were renewed, with the exception of the Radnor Inn, Oddfellow's Arms, and the Engine Inn. Applications for new licenses were made for the George, Gun, and Belle Vue Tavern; the first only was granted, on the ground that it was a new house in the room of one pulled down. The sign of the Fleur-de-lis was changed to the Martello Tavern.


Southeastern Gazette 17 October 1854.

Monday, October 9th: Before the Mayor, J. Kelcey and G. Kennicott, Esqs.

The adjourned meeting for the granting of licenses was held, when the licenses of the Engine Inn, Oddfellows Arms, and Radnor Inn, were renewed, Superintendent Steer being desired to pay particular attention to these houses.


Kentish Gazette 1 May 1855.

Folkestone Petty Sessions, Wednesday.

The licence of the Radnor Inn was transferred from C. Hill to G. Baker, of Cheriton.


Folkestone Chronicle 21 July 1855.

Wednesday July 18:- Before S. Mackie Esq., Mayor, W. Major Esq., and J. Kelcey Esq.

Mr. Norris, Landlord of the Engine public house, South Street, appeared to answer a complaint made against him, by W, Bamford, the Town Surveyor, for removing a quantity of filthy and offensive matter from a cesspool, attached from the Radnor Inn, across the street, about the middle of the day, on Saturday last. Mr. F.G. Francis proved the case, and that the smell was so abominable he was obliged to make a formal complaint. Defendant admitted committing the act during prohibited hours, but said he had suddenly found the cesspool to be full, and the matter was oozing out so as to be a great nuisance. The bench said he ought to have done it in proper hours, and convicted him in the mitigated penalty of 11s 6d including costs.


From the Folkestone Chronicle 15 September 1855.

Monday September 10th :- Present S. Mackie Esq., Mayor, T. Golder Esq., W. Major Esq., G. Kennicott Esq., and W. Bateman Esq.

The General Annual Licensing meeting was held this day, when 46 Licences were renewed in the township of Folkestone, and 3 in Sandgate. The licence of the "Radnor Inn" was transferred to Henry Waith, until 10th October next. A Billiard licence was also granted to William Terry, Sandgate.

Spencer Hayward, Bellevue Field, John Hobbs, Bellevue Field, Thomas Austin Hobbs, Bridge Street, made application for new licences, but were in each case refused.


Folkestone Chronicle 15 September 1855.

Monday September 10th :- Present S. Mackie Esq., Mayor, T. Golder Esq., W. Major Esq., G. Kennicott Esq., and W. Bateman Esq.

The General Annual Licensing meeting was held this day, when 46 Licences were renewed in the township of Folkestone, and 3 in Sandgate.

The licence of the Radnor Inn was transferred to Henry Waith, until 10th October next.


Southeastern Gazette 18 September 1855.

Local News. Annual Licensing Day.

Monday: Before the Mayor and a full bench.

All the licenses were granted except those of the Radnor Inn and Mariners’ Home, which were reported by Superintendent Steer as disorderly and harbouring bad characters.


Southeastern Gazette 25 September 1855.

Local News.

Tuesday: Before W. Major, Esq.

Henri Miere was charged by Willie Haire with stealing a watch and guard and 14s. in silver, from his person, at the Radnor Inn. They were both soldiers belonging to Shorncliffe, and it appeared that there was an agreement between them, before they went into the house, that if either of them should get intoxicated, the one sober should take care of the other's money and watch.

Case dismissed.


Folkestone Chronicle 13 October 1855.

Tuesday October 9th:- Present W. Major Esq., G. Kennicott Esq., and J. Kelcey Esq.

The Adjourned General Licensing Meeting was held this day, when the following licence was granted: Henry Wraith, Radnor Inn.


Folkestone Chronicle 27 October 1855.

Wednesday October 24th :- Present S. Mackie Esq., Mayor, W. Major Esq., G. Kennicott Esq., and W. Bateman Esq.

The licence of the Radnor Inn was transferred from Henry Wraith to George Norris.


Southeastern Gazette 8 January 1856.

Local News.

Friday: Before The Mayor, W. Major, and J. Kelcey, Esqs.

George Norris, landlord of the Radnor Inn, was charged by Superintendent Steer with buying a military great coat of one of the 2nd Regiment of Jaegers, B.G.L., at Shorncliffe.

The defendant pleaded guilty, but stated that at the time he bought it he was not aware that it was Government property, till the following evening.

Fined 5s., to pay double the value of the coat, 3, and 8s. 6d. costs. Money paid.


Southeastern Gazette 15 January 1856.

Local News.

Monday: Before The Mayor and W. Major Esq.

William Butcher, a waiter at the Radnor Inn, was charged by Superintendent Steer with buying a military greatcoat of one of the 2nd Regiment of Jaegers.

Ordered to pay 3, the treble value, 5s. fine, and 3s. 6d. costs, the Bench observing that in future the full penalty would be enforced.


Folkestone Chronicle 26 September 1857.

Tuesday September 22nd: - Before the Mayor and J, Tolputt esq.

John Smithley was charged with being drunk, and with his wife, creating a disturbance at the Radnor Inn, breaking some glass, and committing an assault. Fined 2s 6d for the damage, and 6s costs, in default committed for 14 days. Fined 5s for the assault, and 4s 6d costs, and in default committed for 14 days.


Folkestone Chronicle 2 January 1858.

Quarter Sessions.

John Baker was indicted for stealing six umbrellas of the value of twelve shillings, on the 11th November, the property of Thomas Fields, draper, Dover Street. Prisoner pleaded “Guilty” to the possession of the articles, but not to the theft.

Thomas Field, sworn, said I am a draper living in Dover Street. On the 11th November I lost six umbrellas, they were inside my shop, close to the door. They were common cotton – had seen them there in the course of the day. Mr. Mercer, a neighbour, came in and told me two men had gone by with a bundle of umbrellas. I first went to the police station, and then with the superintendent to the Radnor Inn. The umbrellas were taken from a lump of six or eight half-dozens – they were secured with a cord, which was broken. I noticed that before Mr. Mercer came inn – my attention was drawn to them, as I had heard a slight noise at the door, and they appeared as if they had been disturbed. I did not count them. We found the six umbrellas under the seat in the tap room at the Radnor Inn – the superintendent took possession of them. Witness identified the six umbrellas produced, having his tickets upon them with his private mark. A man had been in the shop previously in the afternoon of the same day, begging – could not swear it was the prisoner, but believed it to have been him.

William Henry Mercer, sworn. I am fourteen years of age. I recollect 11th November – was at home on that evening – about six o'clock saw prisoner pass our house with two soldiers – one was carrying a bundle of umbrellas. They were going to put them up a passage by the side of our house. Prisoner then took them and carried them away under his Guernsey. The soldiers went with prisoner towards the Radnor Inn.

Ann Norris said, I am living at the Radnor Inn. I swear to prisoner being at our house on 11th November. He came in the forenoon about 11, had some bread and cheese and beer with another man – a civilian. He stayed till about three in the afternoon, when he went away, and came again about half past six with the umbrellas, which he pulled from under his Guernsey. There were two soldiers with him then. He gave the umbrellas to one of the soldiers who asked me to take charge of them. I declined. They put them under the seat. There were several other soldiers in the room. The three went away and returned in about ten minutes – asked for the umbrellas. In the meantime the superintendent and Mr. Field had been and taken possession of them.

Superintendent W. Martin – said that from the description he had received of prisoner, eh went in search of him, and apprehended him in Mill Lane. He stated the charge to him, but he made no reply. Prisoner was searched at the station – on his way he dropped a packet of handkerchiefs. He made a statement in the cell that a soldier named Kearney had stolen them, who was on Monday tried at Dover and committed for six months.

The jury returned a verdict of Guilty, and prisoner was sentenced to six months hard labour.


Southeastern Gazette 5 January 1858.

Quarter Sessions.

These sessions were held on Thursday, before J. J. Lonsdale, Esq.,

John Baker, 30, clerk, was indicted for stealing six umbrellas, value 12s., the property of Thomas Field, of Folkestone.

From the evidence of the prosecutor it appeared that a lad named Mercer, living next door to his house, told him that some men had passed their door, one of whom had some umbrellas under his guernsey.

Prosecutor found that the cord fastening a number of umbrellas at his door had been broken, and he went in search of the men, with the superintendent of police. At the Radnor Inn they found the umbrellas under the seats in the tap-room.

William Marlin, superintendent of police, apprehended the prisoner in Mill-lane, in company with some soldiers, one of whom had since been convicted of stealing at Dover, and sentenced to six months’ imprisonment.

Wm. Henry Mercer saw the prisoner take the umbrellas from a soldier, put them under his gaberdine, and walk towards the Radnor Inn.

Ann Norris, landlady of the Radnor Inn, proved that the prisoner had been in and out of her house all day, and at about half-past six in the evening he brought with him the umbrellas produced, and wished her to take care of them. They were placed in one corner of the room, where some soldiers sat.

Prisoner said the men who stole the umbrellas was a soldier named Carney, and he had told the inspector so.

The jury, without hesitation, found the prisoner guilty, and the Recorder, in passing sentence, said that he believed the prisoner went about with others in a gang committing robberies. Such a system was most difficult of detection, as some kept watch while the others stole the goods.

Six months’ hard labour.


Southeastern Gazette 26 April 1859.

Local News.

On Monday, before The Mayor, A, M. Leith, J. Tolputt, and W. Major Esqrs., Ann Cummons, a charwoman, was charged with stealing a cloak, a cape, and a pair of overshoes, the property of Miss Ellen Whiting, of Folkestone. The prisoner absconded from the Radnor Inn, where she was lodging. She was traced to Dover, where she was apprehended, the property being found pledged at the shop of Mr. Hart, pawnbroker. She pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to one month’s hard labour.


From the Folkestone Chronicle 25 May, 1861.


Wednesday May 22nd:- Before the Mayor and James Kelcey, Esq.

William Williams, a cripple, with a crutch, was brought before the bench by P.C. Smith, charged with wilful damage to a window at the "Radnor Inn." The prisoner came into the house drunk, and burnt a quantity of paper on the kitchen fire, which led to the landlord requesting him to quit the house; prisoner immediately went into the passage and broke three squares of glass, value 5s 3d. He was ordered to pay the damage and costs amounting to 9s 6d, and in default was committed for fourteen days hard labour to Dover gaol.


Folkestone Observer 15 June 1861.

Monday June 10th:- Before Captain Kennicott, R.N., and James Tolputt Esq.

Michael Tyni was again brought up and – Eliza Winter, living with her husband in Radnor Street, next door to Mr. Carter, said that early on Saturday morning, before it was light, she saw a soldier in the front room downstairs, of Mr. Carter's house. She had frequently heard footsteps going up to the front door of the house. Prisoner lit his pipe and sat himself down on a chair. Then he got up and took the candle and looked on the mantelpiece and around the room. She stood till Mr. Carter came home, when she told him what she had seen.

In defence, prisoner said he had some friends in the 21st at Sandgate, and they told him of the Radnor Inn at Folkestone. He wanted his comrades to show him the inn, but they said they could not. So he came on to Folkestone, and asked several civilians where the Radnor was, but he could not for the life of him find it out. At last he got directed through some arches, when he found the inns shut up. He went down the back way into a yard, and saw a house with a light in it. As he was very drunk, he thought it was the house, and went in and lit his pipe. He had no intention to steal anything, and had never stolen anything in his life.

The magistrates thought there was no evidence of felonious intent, and dismissed the prisoner.


Southeastern Gazette 1 October 1861.

Local News.

On Thursday last, before James Tolputt Esq., James Harvey, a plasterer, was charged with assaulting the police.

On Wednesday night, at a little before twelve o'clock, he was put out of the Radnor Inn, being drunk and noisy there. He then kicked up a row in the street, and when requested by P.C. Reynolds to quietly away, he refused. He took him into custody, when he kicked very furiously.

He was sentenced to seven days’ imprisonment.


From the Folkestone Chronicle 21 February, 1862.


Saturday February 15th:- Before A.M. Leith, James Tolputt and Gilbert Kennicott, Esqs.

Thomas Harris was brought up charged with being drunk and riotous.

P.C. Reynolds deposed that about one o'clock the same morning he saw prisoner come out of the "Radnor Inn." Prisoner commenced to make a great noise, and was ultimately taken into custody, and brought to the station. Convicted and fined 2s 6d. and costs 6s. or 7 days imprisonment. Committed in default.


Folkestone Observer 19 July 1862.


Tuesday July 15th:- Before W.F. Browell Esq.

Charles Stouchett was charged with stealing from the ship Perseverance, in Dover Harbour, several articles, the property of the Master.Superintendent Martin said that at ten o'clock the night before the prisoner came into the police station, and said that he wished to give himself up for a robbery he had committed in Dover, for which one of the Dover police was searching for him. Witness cautioned him, and he proceeded to say he had sold three shirts to the landlady of the Radnor public house, and a glass and measure to a man named Austen. Three pairs of trousers he said he had also sold to the landlady at the Radnor. Witness went to the Radnor, and received from the landlady the three shirts now produced. The field glass and measure now produced he received from William Austen. The three pairs of trousers now produced he received from a person named Mary Spearpoint, living in the Backway, to whom prisoner had sold them – not to the landlady of the Radnor. The property produced was taken to the station and shown to the prisoner, when he said it was the property stolen, and belonged to Captain Bushell, of the Perseverance, lying in Dover Harbour. Remanded to Dover for further examination. The prisoner was sentenced at Dover to a calendar month's imprisonment.


Folkestone Observer 26 July 1862.

Drunk And Riotous.

Wednesday July 23rd:- Before W.F. Browell and W. Wightwick Esqs.

Margaret Platts and Robert Platts were charged with being drunk and riotous.

P.C. Sharpe was on duty in Radnor Street on Tuesday about half past 6, when Mr. Tindle, landlord of the Radnor Inn called for his assistance in putting the two prisoners out of his house. While putting Robert Platts out the woman struck him on the face, and said he should not put him out. They were both very drunk. When witness put the woman out she lay down on the pavement and said she would not go away, attracting by her conduct and noise a great number of persons. The boy was also drunk and riotous and struck witness on putting him out of the house.

The female prisoner said her husband had been dead six weeks, leaving her with six children. A relative who works at the pier, pile driving, had given her 2s yesterday, and the beer she took affected her more than usual, she having just come out of the black fever. If the magistrates would be lenient with her, she would take her children and go away.

The bench said the punishment ordinarily inflicted for the offence of the woman was ten days or a fortnight's imprisonment, but in the circumstances of the woman, with six children, she wopuld be discharged. Her son was also discharged. (The landlord of the Radnor desires us to say that he served only one half pint of beer to the defendants, and then seeing them intoxicated he refused to supply any more.)


From the Folkestone Chronicle 11 October, 1862.


Friday October 10th:- Before W.F. Browell and W. Wightwick, Esqs.

Martin Bowling, a blind itinerant street musician, was brought up in custody charged with being drunk and riotous, and resisting the police. Prisoner pleaded not guilty.

Police constable Reynolds deposed, about half past 12 this morning witness was on duty in Radnor Street; heard a great disturbance near the "Radnor" public house; witness went there and found the prisoner drunk and shouting, and knocking at the door with a stick. Witness cautioned him several times and told him to be quiet; prisoner continued to shout, when witness took him into custody. On the way to the station, prisoner was very violent, and kicked witness several times. The prisoner tried to put his hand in his pocket, and with a low expression, threatened to do for witness. On searching him at the station, a razor was found in the pocket into which he had tried to put his hand.

Defendant pleaded hard to be forgiven. Prisoner was discharged with a caution.

George Sladden, ONCE MORE, was brought before the bench, charged with being drunk, using obscene language, and resisting the police.

P.C. Edward Smith deposed – About half past 12 this morning he was on duty in Dover Street and heard a great disturbance in Radnor Street. He went there and found the prisoner asleep on the pavement. Witness woke him up and desired him to go home. Witness went to assist P.C. Reynolds with the prisoner in the last case, when prisoner followed them up, and insisted on being taken with the other. Mr. Browell said that defendant was a most incorrigible offender; he should convict him in a month's imprisonment with hard labour. The prisoner here became exceedingly violent, vituperating the magistrates and the police, exclaiming that they all told lies on him.

Another charge was now preferred on him of wilful damage.

P.C. Woodland, being sworn, deposed – This morning, shortly after six, witness went to the cell where the prisoner was confined, and found everything correct; at seven, witness visited it again, and found fourteen squares of glass broken in the cell window. Witness asked prisoner why he broke the glass, and he said he broke them for air. Witness remarked he had broken them all, when prisoner said yes, if there had been more he should have broken them too. No other person was confined in that cell; the value of the glass broken is about 3s 6d.

Prisoner, when asked for his defence, said it was no use saying anything; they might give him four months if they liked, but the man who gave it him would have cause to repent it.

Mr. Browell said for the damage done he should inflict a further imprisonment of two weeks, to commence at the expiration of the one month's imprisonment, making six weeks in all.


Southeastern Gazette 14 October 1862.


An inquest was held on Friday afternoon, at the Ship Inn, Radnor Street, before John Minter, Esq., coroner, and a respectable jury, on the body of an old man, named Matthew Grey, a labourer, who came by his death in the manner detailed in the evidence.

Mr. W. Bateman, surgeon, said: On Wednesday evening, the 8th instant, about 7 p. m., I was sent for to the Radnor Inn, and found the deceased lying quite insensible on the floor m the back room. I found a wound on the hand, a slight wound on the face, and another of a more serious nature at the back of the head. He was suffering from compression of the brain, which was no doubt caused by the blow at the back of the head. He never rallied or became sensible, but died the next morning. The wound was such as might have been caused by a fall down some steps. Death ensued from an effusion of blood on the brain. The wounds on the hand and face no doubt were caused by the pail he was carrying.

Esther Rossiter, wife of the landlord of the Radnor Inn, said: The deceased was my servant. I have been at the Radnor three weeks. On Wednesday afternoon last, between one and two he came in from the beach, where he had been with some clothes. I gave him a glass of beer, as he seemed fatigued. He has not been well lately. I asked him to go into the cellar and empty some dirty water and fetch some clean water from the pump in the yard. I heard the pail fall, and on going to see I found him lying at the bottom of the steps leading to the kitchen. I saw him folded up, and he was bleeding at the nose, mouth and back of the head. We sent for Mr. Bateman No one else was about. Baker was in the kitchen, and I called him to assist me. Deceased was 70.

Henrv Baker said: I lodge at the Radnor. I had just come from work on Wednesday evening last when I heard deceased fail with the pail and Mrs. Rossiter call out, “Oh, dear, here's Matt down”. I assisted the last witness in getting him up, and laid him on a form in the kitchen. I saw he was wounded on the head and bleeding. He only spoke once, and said “Where's my cap?”

Verdict Accidental death.


Folkestone Chronicle 6 June 1863.


Wednesday June 3rd:- Before Captain Kennicott R.N. and James Tolputt Esq.

John Rossilee appeared on a summons charging him with permitting drunkenness in his house, the Radnor Inn, on the 31st May.

P.C. E. Smith deposed that last Sunday morning, about 12 o'clock, he was desired to go to the Radnor Inn by a lodger, who came to the station with his shirt and coat torn. I accompanied the lodger to the Radnor Inn and there I saw the landlady. She said the lodger went to bed drunk, and got up the same. Witness also saw a man there who was drunk. The man who fetched witness was also the worse for drink. On the table in the room was a full quart of beer, and a glass. The landlord was in a front room, and on witness remonstrating with him for allowing drinking in his house, he said he did not think he was doing wrong.

The magistrates considered the case proved, and fined defendant 5s., and 9s. costs.

Note: More Bastions give landlord's name as Rossiter.


Folkestone Observer 6 June 1863.

A Publican Fined.

Wednesday June 3rd:- Before Captain Kennicott and James Tolputt Esq.

John Rossiter, landlord of the Radnor Inn, appeared on a summons for allowing drunkenness in his house.

P.C. Smith said that last Sunday morning, about 12 o'clock, a lodger at the Radnor, stripped to his shirt, came and asked if a policeman would go to the Radnor and witness went down, and proceeded into the back parlour, the living room, where was the landlady and a man with a wooden leg. The landlady told him that the man who had fetched him had been creating a disturbance all night. He went to bed drunk, and got up drunk. The two men had since been disagreeing. The man then said that he had been turned out of doors, and was refused his fire screens. There were two other persons in the room, and on the table stood a quart of beer and a glass.

Defendant said the two men went to bed drunk, and got up about 4 a.m. and went out. They came in again about 9 o'clock. The man asked for a pint of beer. He would not draw it and told him to go into the kitchen. The man then began to quarrel, and defendant put him out of doors, and the man then went and fetched a policeman. Immediately afterwards two travellers came in and asked if they could have lodgings. He told them he was full. They then asked for some beer, for they were travellers, and he drew them a quart.

P.C. Smith said that the quart of beer stood in front of the wooden leg man, who was about to pay the landlady for it.

The magistrates said that they could not overlook the offence, especially as it was on a Sunday. They therefore inflicted a fine of 5s., with costs 9s. more.


From the Folkestone Observer 9 July, 1864.


Tuesday July 5th:- Before J.J. Lonsdale.

The only other prisoner in the calendar was Comfort Boorman, 38, hawker, neither read nor write, charged with being found in the dwelling house of William Baker on the night of the 14th of June, with intent to commit a felony. Against him the Grand Jury did not find a true bill, and the Sessions thereupon came to an end much earlier than had been anticipated.


Note: Refers to the "Radnor Inn." Jan Pedersen.


Southeastern Gazette 9 June 1863.

Local News.

At the Police Court on Monday, John Rossiter, landlord of the Radnor Inn, was charged with allowing drunkenness in his house on the previous Sunday morning.

The case was proved by P.C. Smith, and defendant was fined 5s., with 9s. costs.


From the Folkestone Observer 25 July, 1863.


Monday July 20th:- Before the Mayor, R.W. Boarer and W.F. Browell, Esqs.

George Williams was charged with wandering abroad, not having any visible means of subsistence.

P.C. Swain said that shortly before two o'clock this morning he was searching the back premises in Radnor Street, in quest of prisoner, knowing that he was in the town and had nowhere to sleep. He found him in a closet at the back of the "Radnor Inn," with the door fastened. Witness forced the door and found prisoner asleep. Witness awake him, and asked him what he was doing there. He said that he was only sitting down to have a rest. Witness took him in custody and brought him to the station. Witness also saw him on Saturday morning and on Saturday evening. He offered to lodge him in the old Police Station, when he said he was going out of the town. He had been in the town four or five days.

Committed to Dover Jail for 10 days with hard labour.


Folkestone Observer 12 December 1863.

Drunk And Riotous.

Thursday December 10th: Before J. Kelcey and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Ellen Palmer was charged with being drunk and riotous in Back Street.

P.C. Swain said: This morning about 1 o'clock I heard some shouting and hallooing near the Pavilion Hotel, and it went from there towards Back Street. I followed the noise. I heard some person halloo “Police! Police! Someone has robbed me”. A fisherman told the prisoner to stop, as he saw me coming, and the person ran away. About 20 minutes after this I found the prisoner at the back of the Radnor Inn. She said she was going to sit there and have a sleep. I took her into custody. She was drunk. I saw her about 20 minutes past 10 last evening, when she was drunk.

The prisoner was fined 5s. for being drunk, and given a week to pay.


Folkestone Observer 18 June 1864.


Monday June 13th:- Before the Mayor and S. Eastes Esq.

Alfred Borman, a rough looking fellow, was charged with burglariously and feloniously breaking into the house of William Baker, of Radnor Street, who was away at the time at sea.

A female lodger stated that she went home about half past ten on Saturday night and went immediately to bed, but before she did so she saw that the front door was latched. Soon after she got upstairs she heard Mrs. Baker call out “Is that you, Bill?”.

Ann Baker, wife of William Baker, deposed she went to bed before ten on Saturday night, and about eleven o'clock heard a noise, and somebody come in at the door, and she called out “Is that you, Bill?”, but received no answer. She then got up and called for assistance out of the window, and afterwards saw the prisoner in the custody of P.C. Hills.

A son of the last witness said he went home from the theatre a little after eleven. He locked the door after him and went upstairs to his mother's room to get a candle. He heard the door unfastened soon after he got into bed, and he and his mother gave the alarm out of the window. Saw the prisoner in the custody of the police.

P.C. Hills said: About half past ten on Saturday night I was on duty in Radnor Street. I was walking up the street and saw Mrs. Baker and her son calling out of the window that somebody was in the house. He went in and turned his light on and saw the prisoner standing in the passage and in the act of taking an oilskin cape from off a nail. Asked the prisoner what he was doing, and he said he wanted to find Mrs. Rossiter; also asked him what he was doing with the cape, and he said “Nothing”. When he searched the prisoner he found upon him two bradawls, a hammer, two knives and part of a razor, and 1s. 4d in money.

The prisoner in defence said he was at a beershop in the High Street on Saturday night. The landlord told him it was time to leave, and he then went home, but he mistook Mrs. Baker's house to be the Radnor. He felt all around the passage for the taproom door, through which he had to go to his bedroom, and felt sure he was right by the place being built the same. He felt round several times and two or three times his hand came in contact with something on the wall, and the constable then came in and took him. He did not go there with the intention of stealing anything. He merely mistook the house for his lodgings. He was beery at the time, that is how he made the mistake, and he could not see but a very little, but nearly blind.

The Mayor to the prisoner – You will have to take your trial at the next Quarter Sessions.


Folkestone Observer 9 July 1864.

Quarter Sessions Extract.

Tuesday July 5th:- Before J.J. Lonsdale.

The only other prisoner in the calendar was Comfort Boorman, 38, hawker, neither read nor write, charged with being found in the dwelling house of William Baker on the night of the 14th of June, with intent to commit a felony. Against him the Grand Jury did not find a true bill, and the Sessions thereupon came to an end much earlier than had been anticipated.


Folkestone Chronicle 1 April 1865.

Saturday March 25th:- Before the Mayor, J. Kelcey and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

John Rossiter appeared on summons, charged with having nineteen ounces of Cavendish in his possession. Pleaded Guilty. Convicted in a similar penalty.

Defendant was convicted, and fined 20, but the bench recommended the Board to mitigate the penalty. Six months imprisonment in default.

The penalty, mitigated by the board to 5, was paid by the defendant, and he was discharged.


Folkestone Chronicle 8 July 1865.

Quarter Sessions.

Tuesday July 4th:- Before J.J. Lonsdale.

Elizabeth Field was placed in the dock charged with stealing one silver watch from the person of Edward Chittenden, of Folkestone, on the 30th June last, to which she pleaded Not Guilty.

Edward Chittenden, sworn, deposed that he was a waggoner in the emply of Mr. H. Jeffery, of Coombe. Recollected last Friday night he was at the Black Bull Fair between 10 and 11 o'clock. He missed his watch, and old fashioned double-cased silver one. Had it a few minutes before, as he took it out of his fob to see what time it was, but could not, because it was dark. Would swear he put it back safe in his pocket. He then went into the tap room – was quite sober. Directly he got into the room, prisoner began pulling him about – there were several other persons there. She asked him to pay her. Told her to go away – did not want to do anything with her. Witness then went away to the skittle alley, prisoner following him. Prisoner then ran away, and prisoner, feeling for his watch, found it was gone. Had not seen him since. He then went for a constable, and the going into the tap room again half an hour after, saw prisoner there. Pointed her out to the constable as the woman who had stolen his watch. Prisoner said she had never seen witness before, nor had she got his watch.

P.C. Grove, sworn, said: I recollect last Friday night. Saw prisoner in the tap room of the Black Bull. In consequence of information received from prosecutor I took her into custody and charged her with stealing his watch. She said she had never seen the man or the watch before; she was selling nuts and oranges. On going down Foord Lane with prisoner in custody, when about 60 yards from the house, I was pushed into the hedge by about 7 or 8 roughs and the prisoner was rescued before I could recover myself. Had not observed them following me; it was very dark and rainy. Had not seen prisoner before; saw her again on Saturday evening at the Radnor Inn, and took her in custody to the Station. Had no doubt prisoner was the same woman. I charged her again with stealing the watch, and she made no reply. I was in company with P.C. Grover. Prosecutor was not with us then. Recognised her by her features, and a white jacket she had on. The watch has not since been found.

The jury retired, and in a few minutes returned into court a few minutes later with a verdict of Guilty.

The jury were then re-sword, and the same prisoner was charged with stealing a leather purse containing 1 8s 6d from the person of Thomas Gilbert, on the 30th June last, at Folkestone. Prisoner pleaded Not Guilty.

Thomas Gilbert, sworn, said: I am a labourer. Recollect last Friday night – was at the Black Bull Fair. I had a leather purse with about 30s in my left hand trousers pocket. Had it out just before I missed it, to pay for some beer I and a few friends were having. We were outside the house. I was quite sober. Was waiting to get into the house to go to bed – I was lodging there. Prisoner came up and hadled me about. I told her to keep off. I had my hand on my purse then, but missed it directly after she had slipped off. Will swear prisoner is the same woman. I gave information to P.C. Grover. Next saw her in the tap room, but she had thrown off her bonnet and shawl. About ten minutes after she put them on again, and I immediately recognised her. P.C. Grover then took her into custody.

P.C. Grover, sworn, said that: Prosecutor came to me last Friday night about 10.30 and said “I've lost a purse and some money”. He could not tell who had robbed him. I said “Then I can't render you any assistance”. About half an hour after, I heard of the watch robbery, and apprehended prisoner for that. Did not see Gilbert in the tap room then. Saw him outside afterwards. He then said “That is the woman that robbed me”. She had on a white jacket with large sleeves. Saw her bonnet and shawl afterwards at the station house. Did not search her, as we are not allowed to search a female.

The jury returned a verdict of Guilty, and prisoner was sentenced to 6 months lard labour in each case, the second 6 months at the termination of the first.


Folkestone Observer 26 August 1865.

It was licensing day on Tuesday, when the magistrates suspended the license for the Radnor, Radnor Street, for harbouring prostitutes.


Folkestone Chronicle 9 December 1865.

Wednesday December 6th: Before J. Kelcey Esq.

Caution To Persons Buying Soldiers' Clothes.

William Toovey, a dealer in rags and bones &c., was charged with having unlawfully in his possession two pairs of boots and one pair of trousers, the same being military stores.

Police Constable Grover said that he was on duty about five o'clock last night in the Lower Sandgate Road, where he met the prisoner with a large bag on his back, in which he found two pairs of boots and a pair of military trousers, from which the red stripe down the side had been cut. Witness gave information to the Provost Marshal, at Sandgate, the accompanied him to the Radnor public house in search of the prisoner; found him there, and he said he had sold the things to Mr. Godden, of High Street, upon which he took him into custody.

In answer to Mr. Kelcey, witness said that he found some bones and rags also in the prisoner's bag.

Sergeant John Keys, 89th Regiment, stationed at Shorncliffe Camp, said that Constable Grover came to him in the street at Sandgate, as he was talking to the Provost Marshal, and said that he had taken a pair of boots and a pair of military trousers from a civilian. He told him they had regimental marks on them, and witness made enquiries on the camp respecting them. The boots and trousers produced are military stores, and no person had any right to sell them without an order from the commanding officer, and no person on the camp had been authorised to sell them.

Defendant said that he got his living by exchanging books and papers for rags and bones. He was on the Camp yesterday, and saw a man who asked him if he would buy a pair of boots for 5s. He bought two pairs of him, and a pair of trousers.

Sergeant Keys valued one pair of boots at 8s, the other pair at 3s, and the trousers at sixpence.

Mr. Kelcey told prisoner that he had been guilty of a very serious offence, and he was fully convinced that he knew he was doing wrong when he bought the things. He had subjected himself to a penalty of 20, and treble the value of the articles. He would, however, have to pay a fine of 5, and treble the value of the goods, which would make 1 13s more; in default to be committed for two months. Mr. Kelcey told prisoner that he considered the law a proper one, as men of his class had the power of dealing with soldiers to a great extent, and often without being found out.

John Greig, another of the rag and bone fraternity, pleaded guilty to having a pair of boots, military stores, in his possession.

P.C. Grover said that he went to the Radnor public house last night, and asked the prisoner whether he had not bought a pair of military boots on the camp; he said he had done so, and sold them to a tramp. He took him into custody.

Sergeant Keys identified the boots produced as being military stores, and said they were worth 2s 6d.

Mr. Martin said that both prisoners were discharged soldiers and lived at the Radnor public house as lodgers.

Mr. Kelcey told prisoner that as he had pleaded guilty it was some mitigation; he would have to pay a fine of 2, and treble the value of the boots, which was 7s 6d. In default he would be imprisoned for one month.


Folkestone Observer 9 December 1865.

Wednesday December 6th:- Before J. Kelcey Esq.

William Toovey was charged with unlawfully having in his possession two pairs of military shoes and one pair of military trousers on the 5th inst.

Pleaded not guilty.

P.C. Grover deposed that he met the prisoner in the Sandgate Road, bearing a bag upon his shoulders, which appeared to be heavy. He stopped him and asked him what he had got, and he replied “Nothing but rags and bones”. He searched it and found two pairs of shoes and a pair of trousers, all marked with the regimental mark of the 89th Regiment. He asked where he got them, and he said he bought them on the Camp. He had the new pair of boots from a drummer boy, for which he gave 2s 6d; the other pair he bought of another soldier for 6d. He afterwards took him into custody.

John Keys, sergeant in the 89th Regiment, identified the boots as military stores, and no person on the camp was authorised to sell them.

Prisoner now made a similar statement to that which P.C. Grover had said he made to him with regard to buying the property at the Camp.

Sergeant Keys valued the new pair of boots at 8s; the other pair, which had been worn, to 2s 6d, and the trousers at 6d.

The defendant, in answer to Mr. Kelcey, said he went round the camp to sell bootlaces and papers, and such small things, and also exchanged them for rags and bones.

Mr. Kelcey told him he must be aware that he was not allowed to buy military stores of any kind, and knowing it to be such, he had subjected himself to a penalty of 20, and treble the value of the goods.

Fined 5 and treble the value of the articles, 33s.

In default of payment, sentenced to two months' imprisonment.

John Griggs was also charged with buying a pair of military shoes on the 5th instant. Pleaded Guilty.

P.C. Grover said that from information he received he went to the Radnor Inn, and asked the prisoner of he had bought a pair of military boots. He said he had, and he then took him into custody.

Sergeant Keys valued the boots at 2s 6d.

Fined 2, and treble the value of the boots, 7s 6d.

Committed to prison for one month in default of payment.

Note: Toovey was arrested in the Radnor Inn.


Folkestone Express 6 February 1869.

Monday, February 1st: Before J. Gambrill and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

George Sheppard was charged by P.C. Swain with sleeping in the open air and having no visible means of subsistence. The police constable found him on Saturday night at the back of the Earl Radnor, and on waking him and finding he could not give a satisfactory account of himself, he took him into custody. He searched him at the station, but found nothing in his pocket.

The prisoner said he formerly belonged to the 53rd Regiment, and he went to Sandgate and met some of his old comrades. He did not arrive at his lodgings till late, when he found himself locked out. He got his living by selling bones for sharpening razors.

The Bench dismissed the prisoner on his promising to leave the town.


Folkestone Express 28 August 1869.

Spirit License (Renewal)

Wednesday, August 25th: Before Captain Kennicott R.N., W. Bateman. J. Tolputt, A.M. Leith, and J. Gambrill Esqs.

John Rossiter, of the Radnor, Radnor Street, applied. Mr. Martin said the same complaints existed against this house as against Peel's.

Applicant said he could not tell what the people were who came to lodge at the house. The license was suspended till the adjourned meeting.


Southeastern Gazette 13 September 1869.

Local News.

On Wednesday last, the adjourned licensing meeting was held at the Town Hall, before W. Bateman, Esq., Captain Kennicott, R.N., J. Tolputt, Esq., and A.M. Leith, Esq.

A spirit licence was granted in the case of the Radnor.


Folkestone Chronicle 5 June 1875.

Monday. May 31st: Before The Mayor, J. Kelcey, J. Tolputt, and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Francis Hartley was charged with stealing a watch, of the value of 25s., the property of Charles Dodd.

Prosecutor, who is a labourer living at Elham, stated that he was in the tap room of the Radnor Inn on Sunday morning, when he fell asleep, and on awaking he found his watch gone. The prisoner, with two or three other men, was in the tap room when he went asleep.

Alfred Smith, rag and bone dealer, stated that he saw prisoner take the watch out of prosecutor's pocket, and he immediately woke him up.

P.C. Keeler apprehended the prisoner, and found the watch on him.

The prisoner was committed for trial at the ensuing Quarter Sessions.


Folkestone Express 5 June 1875.

Monday, May 31st: Before The Mayor, J. Kelcey, R.W. Boarer and J. Tolputt Esqs.

Francis Hartley, labourer, was charged with stealing a watch, value 25s., belonging to Charles Dadd, on the 30th inst.

Prosecutor, Alfred Smith, and P.C. Keeler having given evidence in support of the charge, prisoner was committed to the next Quarter Sessions for trial.


Southeastern Gazette 14 June 1875.

Local News.

At the Borough Police Court, on Saturday last, John Rossiter, Radnor Inn, was fined 5 and costs for allowing his house to be used as a brothel on Sunday, May 30th, and for permitting drunkenness in his house on the same day he was fined 2 and 11s. costs; his licence to be forfeited.

Charles Dadd, Alfred Smith, and Thomas Welch were fined 2s. 6d., and 8s. costs, each for being drunk in the same house, and on the same day. Dadd had been robbed of his watch whilst drunk, and this led to the police visiting the house on Sunday morning, and they found defendants and several others drinking and in various stages of intoxication.


Folkestone Chronicle 19 June 1875.

Saturday, July 12th: Before The Mayor, J. Tolputt, Col. De Crespigny, and J. Clark Esqs.

Charles Dodds, Alfred Smith, and Thomas Welsh were charged with being drunk in the Radnor on May 30th, and John Rossiter for permitting drunkenness in his house.

Dodds, Smith and Welsh were each convicted, and fined 2s. 6d. and 8s. costs, and Rossiter was fined 40s. and 11s. costs.

John Rossiter was charged with permitting his house to be used as a brothel on May 30th.

The case was proved against defendant, who was fined 5 and 10s. costs, to be levied by distress, or 2 months' imprisonment.


Folkestone Express 19 June 1875.

Saturday, June 12th: Before The Mayor, Col. De Crespigny, J. Clark and J. Tolputt Esqs.

Charles Dadds, Thomas Welsh, and Alfred Smith were charged with being found drunk on the licensed premises of the Radnor Inn on Sunday, the 30th ult.

Mr. Mowll, of Dover, appeared to prosecute.

Mr. Till appeared for defendant, who pleaded Not Guilty, with the exception of Dadds, who admitted being a little beery.

At the same time, John Rossiter, landlord of the Radnor Inn, was charged with allowing drunkenness to take place on his premises.

Mr. Till also appeared for this defendant.

P.C. Keeler deposed that on Sunday afternoon week he visited the Radnor Inn at about ten minutes to two. He saw the landlord and landlady in the house, and in the same room, the tap room, were the other defendants, Dadds, Welsh, and Smith, all three drunk. Eight or ten other men and women were there, none of whom were sober. Witness left and returned to the house with Superintendent Wilshere. Witness heard the Superintendent of Police call Rossiter's attention to the state of the men.

Cross-examined by Mr. Till: The landlord was in the tap room with the men, some of whom were what I call incapable. It is true that the landlord fetched me to the house with reference to a charge of stealing a watch.

Cross-examined by defendant Smith: I found the man who committed the robbery. You were drinking beer or ale. You were drunk.

Superintendent Wishere deposed that on the day in question P.C. Keeler brought Dadds to the police station. The defendant was very drunk. Witness returned with the constable to the Radnor Inn and found Smith and Welsh there, drunk. The latter wanted to fight witness, but was held back by one of the women present. Witness saw Rossiter and his wife in the house.

Cross-examined by Mr. Till:Had cautioned the defendant several times as to the manner in which he was conducting his house.

Mr. Till addressed the Bench for the defence, arguing that it was not likely that defendant would have sent for a constable to make enquiries about the watch robbery if he had drunken men in his house; he would have hushed the case up. He contended that the men were not drunk, only excited.

He called the defendant John Rossiter, who swore that no-one in the house on the afternoon in question was “exactly drunk”. He was clearing his house when the Superintendent came in. He had never been warned by the police before.

Dadds admitted having had a drop too much, which made him sleepy.

Smith also said he had had a drop of beer, but could not have been very drunk as he helped the policeman to look for the man who stole the watch.

Welsh allowed that he was a little excited.

Rossiter, on being appealed to by Welsh, replied that Welsh was a little beery, but knew what he was doing.

The Mayor said the Bench had no doubt that the defendants were in a state of drunkenness in the house. Dadds, Smith and Welsh would be fined 2s. 6d. and 8s. 6d. costs each, in default, seven days. As to Rossiter their decision would be reserved till they had heard the next case.

Rossiter was then charged with allowing his house to be used as a brothel.

The evidence of Dadds and P.C. Keeler proved the charge beyond a doubt.

Mr. Till contended that the defendant ought to have been warned before being prosecuted on so serious a charge.

The Bench retired for a quarter of an hour, and on their return the Mayor said that with reference to the first charge the magistrates were unanimous in their opinion that Rossiter had knowingly permitted drunkenness in his house. He would for that offence be fined 2 and 11s. costs, or one month's imprisonment. On the second charge, defendant must have known the character of the woman, who had been lodging in his house, it had been proved by his wife's admissions, for a fortnight. He would be fined 5. Unless paid forthwith, a distress warrant would be issued, and in default of sufficient goods to meet the levy he would be committed for two months. Mr. Till had alluded to the consequences of a conviction, but the Bench could but carry out the law, and defendant must lose his license.


Folkestone Chronicle 31 July 1875.

Quarter Sessions.

Thursday July 29th:

Francis Hartley was charged with stealing a watch, of the value of 25s., the property of Charles Dodds, at Folkestone, on the 30th of May, 1875.

Mr. Forbes Moss prosecuted.

Prosecutor was in the Radnor Inn, when he fell asleep, and when he awoke found his watch gone. A man named Smith saw prisoner go up and take the watch from Dodds' person.

This was the evidence given against prisoner, who made a most eloquent defence, which the Judge said was as good as any Counsel could have made.

The jury returned a verdict of Guilty against the prisoner, and the Recorder, after stating how sorry he was to see a man in prisoner's condition in such a position, sentenced him to four months' imprisonment with hard labour.

John Doyle and James Freeman were charged with stealing 7s., the property of William James Snelling, at Folkestone, on the 16th, June, 1875.

The evidence against prisoners, who stole a till from prosecutor whilst he was absent from his beershop, was convincing, and the jury found them Guilty.

They were each sentenced to six months' imprisonment.

His Honour censured a policeman for not volunteering certain information in the course of his evidence, stating that policemen too often seemed to think that it was their duty to try and convict. That was not the case. They ought to be impartial witnesses, withholding nothing in favour of the prisoners.

This concluded the whole of the business.


Folkestone Express 31 July 1875.

Quarter Sessions:

Friday, July 30th: Before J.J. Lonsdale Esq.

Francis Hartley, 44. Labourer, was indicted for stealing a watch, value 25s., the property of Charles Dadds, labourer, Elham, at Folkestone, on the 30th May.

Mr. Forbes Moss appeared for the prosecution, and briefly opened the case.

Prosecutor deposed that on the night of the 30th of May he went to the Radnor Inn and took lodgings for the night, leaving his watch with the landlady. Next day (Sunday) he went into the tap room, having received his watch of the landlord. Soon afterwards prosecutor had “a little beer” and went to sleep. During the afternoon prosecutor was awakened by a man named Smith, and then found that his watch had been torn from the chain. Prosecutor had bought the watch for 25s. of a man named Hardiman, whose name was in the watch. The glass was cracked. Prosecutor then identified the watch produced as his property.

Cross-examined by prisoner: Cannot remember who advised me to go to sleep.

To the Recorder: I was sober in the morning when I came down (although I had no breakfast), but was not so when I went to sleep.

Alfred Smith, a rag and bone dealer, deposed that he was lodging at the Radnor Inn on the 30th May. On that afternoon prosecutor got drunk, and leaned forward on his arms and went to sleep. While witness was drinking with another man he saw prisoner go up to him and heard a click, and saw prisoner remove the watch. The prisoner then went out of the house. Witness made a communication to the man with whom he was drinking and to the landlord.

Cross-examined by prisoner: I am a tramping rag and bone man. I did not try to stop you from going out because I wanted to finish up my beer. (Laughter) I had a little drink myself and was convicted before the Magistrates of being drunk on the day of the robbery. I will not swear I was quite sober when I gave information about your stealing the watch.

P.C. Keeler deposed to apprehending prisoner, who said when charged that he might as well have it as anybody else. Witness found the watch that had been produced on the prisoner.

Cross-examined by prisoner: When the witness Smith gave me information of the robbery he was beery, but not exactly drunk, nor exactly sober. Smith was the worse for liquor when before the Magistrates.

Prisoner called Superintendent Wilshere to prove that the witness Smith was not sober when the case was heard before the Magistrates. Superintendent Wishere said that the man had evidently been drinking heavily before he came into Court, and the Magistrates were at first doubtful if they should take his evidence.

The prisoner then made a long speech, asserting that the other four people in the room with prosecutor were loafing on him, getting drunk at his expense, and that they attempted to steal the man's watch when he had gone to sleep. Prisoner said that he woke the man and then took the watch off before the men, in order to keep it for him till he became sober. He argued that he would have left the house and gone out of the town if he had meant to steal the watch, but on the contrary he remained in the kitchen. In impassioned tones and with natural eloquence the prisoner appealed to the jury to say whether he had not acted like an honest man in protecting the prosecutor from being robbed, and insisted that the last witness was the intending thief, and when he found himself foiled laid the blame upon the man who had stopped the game.

The learned Recorder said he always regretted when counsel appeared for the prosecution and the prisoner was undefended. In this case, however, he did not do so, for he was sure that no counsel could have made an abler or better speech for the defence than the prisoner had done. It was for the jury to say whether the arguments of this very clever speech were borne out by the evidence; whether, in fact, the prisoner took the watch with the intention of stealing it or whether he simply took care of it for the prosecutor. It was clear that he was dead drunk, and the witness Smith was nearly drunk, but not so far gone but that he could tell the landlord that he had seen something going on. The jury must bear in mind the fact that prisoner did not offer to hand over the watch to the landlord for safe custody, but kept it in his pocket. He asked the jury to consider whether this fact was consistent with the prisoner's line of defence.

The jury deliberated for about ten minutes, when the foreman said the jury found the prisoner Guilty.

The Recorder, in passing sentence, said he quite agreed with the verdict of the jury. He was very sorry to see such an intelligent man convicted of such a crime. Prisoner had pleaded that he was not an educated man, but no-one could have listened to his speech and marked the choice of words he had made without feeling that he must have moved in a better position in society than they now found him in. For himself he could say he never heard a more powerful or able address from counsel. However, it was his painful duty to sentence prisoner for this crime. Seeing that he had been in gaol two months, he should sentence him to four calendar months imprisonment with hard labour.


Folkestone Express 1 April 1876.

Monday, March 27th: Before The Mayor, General Armstrong, Captain Crowe, R.W. Boarer, J. Kelcey, and W. Bateman Esqs.

Julia Johnson was charged with maliciously cutting and wounding her husband Thomas Johnson on the previous Sunday afternoon.

Thomas Johnson said: I am a labourer, staying at the Radnor lodging house. Prisoner is my wife. Yesterday (Sunday) afternoon I was in the kitchen at the Radnor between four and five o'clock, and we had some words through drink. We were both the worse for drink. I struck her with my fist in the face. I was going to hit her again. She was cutting some food. She had a knife in her hand, with which she attempted to ward off the blow, and it entered my hand. I did not hear her threaten.

By the Bench: I struck my hand upon the knife.

The Bench said that under the circumstances they would dismiss the case, but cautioned the parties to abstain from drink in future.


Folkestone Chronicle 2 September 1876.


To THOMAS PREBBLE, one of the Overseers of the Poor of the Borough of Folkestone in the County of Kent, and to the Superintendent of Police for the same Borough.

I, JOHN RICHARD ISHERWOOD RAMSBOTTOM, now residing at the Lower Brewery, Stone Street, Maidstone, in the Borough of Maidstone, in the County of Kent, do hereby give you notice, that it is my intention to apply at the adjournment of the General Annual Licensing Meeting for the Borough of Folkestone aforesaid, to be holden at the Town Hall in the said Borough, on the Twenty-seventh day of September next ensuing, for a License for the sale of Spirits, Wine, Beer, Porter, Cider, Perry, and other intoxicating Liquors, to be drunk or consumed in a certain House, and in the Premises thereunto belonging, situate at Radnor Street, in the borough aforesaid, known by the sign of the Radnor Inn, which I intend to keep as an Inn, Alehouse, or Victualling House.

Given under my hand this 31st day of August, one thousand, eight hundred and seventy six.



Folkestone Express, Sandgate, Shorncliffe & Hythe Advertiser, Saturday 30 June 1877.

Public House and Lodging House to let. The "Radnor Inn," Radnor Street, Folkestone. Inquire on the premises, or of Mr. Woodcock, Lower Brewery, Maidstone.


Folkestone Express 14 July 1877.


Public House and Lodging House to let. The Radnor Inn, Radnor Street, Folkestone. Inquire on the premises, or of Mr. Woodcock, Lower Brewery, Maidstone.


Folkestone Express 22 December 1877.

Tuesday, December 18th: Before The Mayor and Alderman Caister.

Mary Harris, who has recently been lodging at the Radnor Inn, was charged with begging on the Leas on the morning of Monday. When searched at the Police Station 6d. was found upon her, and a quantity of food.

She was committed for 10 days with hard labour.


Folkestone Express 20 April 1878.

Tuesday, April 16th: Before The Mayor, Col. De Crespigny and Alderman Caister.

Peter Kelly, a labourer, was brought up charged with assaulting his wife, and to show cause why he should not be bound over to keep the peace.

Maria Kelly, prisoner's wife, said she was living with her husband and five children at the Radnor public house. They had been there since last hop-picking season. Her husband had work for about two months before Christmas, but since then all the money she had received from him was 2s. 10d. The children earned a trifle sometimes by selling flowers, and she herself went out scrubbing. On Monday while she was eating her dinner and having a glass of ale he husband and herself had some words because there was nothing but potatoes for his dinner. He knocked her down and “gave her a kick here and a kick there, and in fact she could not tell exactly where he did kick her”. She had a great bruise over the eye, which was caused by one kick. She had left him to get out of his way, but he always found her out. He frequently ill-used her, and had threatened to kill her.

In reply to the Bench, the woman said she did not wish her husband to be punished, but that he should be bound down not to molest her.

The prisoner was ordered to find one surety in 10 to keep the peace for a month, and to enter into his own recognisances for a similar sum. He was removed to the cells.

The costs, 2s. 6d., which the complainant paid, were returned to her, and the Mayor told her that the Bench sympathised with her.


Folkestone Express 23 November 1878.

Monday, November 18th: Before Captain Carter, Alderman Caister, and Col. De Crespigny.

John Price was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Queen's Square on Saturday evening. P.C. Hogben said he was called to defendant, who was taking off his clothes in the street and using disgusting language. He persuaded him to go to his lodgings at the Radnor, but he refused, and as he was drunk and wanted to fight, he took him to the police station.

Defendant denied that he was drunk, but admitted that he had a quarrel with another man who had struck him, and as there was a doubt about his having been drunk the case was dismissed.


Folkestone Express 18 January 1879.


On Wednesday afternoon the borough coroner held an inquest at the Town Hall on the body of a woman named Elizabeth Jeffery, whose death took place under the following circumstances:

P.C. William Butcher identified the body as that of Elizabeth Jeffery, wife of William Jeffery, a tailor, working at the Camp, and who lodged at the Radnor Inn. He also said on Christmas Day, at Sandgate, at 7.15, he was fetched by James Lilley, a porter of Ashford, who said there was a man and woman drunk at the bottom of the Military Road, and that the woman had fallen down near the drinking fountain and hurt herself. Lilley had seen them previously coming down the Military Road. On proceeding to the place, witness found the woman sitting in the road near the kerb. There were several persons round her, and her husband was trying to get her up. He was very drunk, and as he lifted her by the arms he tumbled over her. He swore at her, and told her if she had kept sober, as he had done, nothing would have happened to her. Witness saw they were both very drunk, and he obtained the assistance of P.C. Bashford, who took the man in charge. It was a severe frosty night. Witness asked deceased if she had hurt herself. She replied that she had hurt her leg a little bit. He asked how she did it, and she said she had slipped down. She said she could not stand. Finding that she could not stand, he sent to Mr. Keeler's for a conveyance, and with assistance he placed her in it and took her to the Folkestone Police Station, and immediately sent for Dr. Bateman, who found her leg to be broken, and she was removed on a stretcher to the infirmary.

Mr. William Bateman, surgeon, said, on the 25th December last, about nine o'clock, he was sent for to the Police Station. He saw the deceased, who was sitting on a chair in the charge room, supported by a constable. She was very drunk. He had been told that her leg was hurt, and that it was bleeding. On examining her left leg he found that the large bone was broken below the knee. It was a compound fracture, and the end of the bone was protruding through the flesh. Having secured her leg with splints he ordered her to be taken to the Infirmary. The fracture was in all probability caused by a fall. There was no appearance of any blow. The bone was broken very obliquely, which would not have been the case had it been caused by a blow. On further examination he found that the fibula bone was broken near the head. That part of the leg was bruised, and in his opinion that bone was broken either by a blow or fall, and probably was caused by the deceased falling on the edge of the kerb. The leg was set, as no considerable artery was injured, and witness thought there might be a chance of saving the leg. In the course of a few days there was extensive suppuration from the wound where the bone had protruded, and on Tuesday the 7th of January he found an abscess had formed over the other fracture, that there was no chance of saving the leg, and that the only chance of saving her life was to amputate the limb. Next morning, after consultation with his colleagues, he amputated the limb above the knee. She did remarkably well, and witness had great hopes of saving her life, but on Sunday evening last, between eight and nine o'clock, he was called to the Infirmary in a hurry, and on his arrival found that a secondary haemorrhage had taken place and that there had been considerable loss of blood. With the assistance of Mr. Mercer and Mr. Tyson he stopped the blood. The deceased, however, died about half past eleven. He saw the husband at the police station on the 26th. He was then very drunk. He asked deceased if her husband had ill-used her, and she replied “No. It was the fall. My husband never ill-used me in his life”.

The jury found that the broken leg was caused by a fall, and that death resulted from secondary haemorrhage after the amputation.

The Coroner commended P.C. Butcher for his conduct in connection with the matter, and regretted that he had no power to award him a sum of money in recognition of his services.


Folkestone Express 20 March 1880.

Local News.

A man is in custody and will be brought before the magistrates this morning on a charge of assaulting a woman. They were staying at the Radnor Inn, and having quarrelled, the man first threw some boiling fat over the woman, scalding her, and then beat her about the head and face with the frypan. She made her way to the police station, bleeding profusely all the way. Her injuries were attended to, and she was removed to the lodging house.


Folkestone Express 27 March 1880.

Friday, March 19th: Before J. Clark Esq., and General Cannon.

Patrick Higgins was brought up charged with an assault upon Sarah Richards at the Radnor Inn on the previous day. The prisoner was a man about six feet in height, while the complainant was a little mite, whose head was only just visible above the witness box. She wore a great bandage round her head, and presented a most miserable picture. The story she told the Magistrates was as follows:

On Thursday morning about half past eight she was in the kitchen at the Radnor taking her breakfast, when the prisoner made his appearance. A cup was standing on the table, intended for common use by the frequenters of this aristocratic hostelry, and prisoner asked who was using it. Complainant replied that it was for “her Johnny”, meaning the gentleman who was the sharer of her lot in life, although it appeared they had dispensed with the nuptial rite. Prisoner said he should have the cup if he wanted it, and complainant retaliated, daring him to touch it. Thereupon a war of words ensued, and the complainant admitted that when she was called foul names by the prisoner, she retorted with equally choice invectives. The prisoner so far forgot himself as to strike the little woman, who threatened to return the blow, nothing daunted by the disparity in size between herself and the prisoner. She held the cup tightly in her hand and prisoner attempted to force it out of her grasp, but without success, and in the struggle she fell on the floor, her apparel becoming woefully disarranged. On getting up she threw the contents of the cup at her assailant, who was then engaged in frying a pan of potatoes at the fire. Without a thought for the loss of his breakfast he immediately turned the contents, boiling as they were, over the woman, and followed up the attack by striking her on the head with the utensil, inflicting a very severe wound, from which the blood flowed most alarmingly. The complainant wisely abandoned the fight and rushed off, all besmeared with blood and grease, to the police station, where her wounds were dressed, and an officer went at once in search of the prisoner.

A witness named Thomas Hughes corroborated the complainant's account of the fracas, adding that there were about five and twenty people in the kitchen, including the “Johnny” for whose cup the little woman had done battle, but not one attempted to interfere. The witness feared to do so himself lest a general fight should have resulted, and he had been threatened with violence for appearing as a witness in the case.

The prisoner did not attempt to refute any of the statements, but said it was complainant's own fault that she was struck because she rushed at him just as he was in the act of throwing the potatoes at her.

The Bench told the prisoner that he had been guilty of a cowardly and brutal assault, and sentenced him to a month's hard labour, a little boy he had with him being sent to the Union, there to await the expiration of his father's sentence.


Folkestone Express 2 July 1892.

Auction Advertisement.

Banks and Son are instructed to sell by Auction at the Rose Hotel, Folkestone, on Thursday, 7th July, 1892, at three o'clock in the afternoon, in one Lot, the following properties:

All that brick-built with tiled roof Copyhold House, No. 14, Radnor Street, formerly known as the Radnor Inn.

Containing in Basement: Kitchen, Cellar, and W.C.

On the Ground Floor: Two Parlours.

And on the First and Seconds Floors: Five Bedrooms.

And also a wooden built with tiled roof Copyhold Cottage (in the rear of and adjoining the last mentioned premises). Containing Cellar, Parlour, and Two Bedrooms.

Both properties, which have the joint use of a yard and passage leading to The Stade and Fishmarket are in the occupation of Harry Wiles Spillett and his under-tenant, at the annual rent of 22, payable quarterly.

The above properties are held of the Lord of the Manor of Folkestone, at the annual quit rents of 8d. and 5d.

Particulars and Conditions of Sale may be had seven days before the day of sale at the office of th Auctioneers, 73, Sandgate Road, Folkestone, and of Messrs. Kingsford, Wightwick and Kingsford, Solicitors, Canterbury.


Folkestone Express 9 July 1892.

Local News.

On Thursday afternoon Messrs. Banks and Son offered for sale by auction at the Rose Hotel several lots of freehold and copyhold property. The first was No. 14, Radnor Street, formerly the Radnor Inn, copyhold, now let, with a cottage at the rear, at 22 per annum, and after a brisk competition between tow bidders, it was sold for 465.

The Old “Radnor Hotel”. This antiquated house, in Radnor Street, was sold by auction on Thursday afternoon by Messrs. Banks and Son. Mr. John Banks told a string of anecdotes concerning it. According to his account, it was once the Radnor Hotel, and the principal licensed house in the town, and a most lucrative business was carried on in it. He remembered, he said, the Riot Act being read in it, when there was a disturbance which Captain Kennicott tried to quell. He drew his sword and knocked down a woman, whereupon he was set upon by the crowd. But it was as a place for the reception and retail of contraband goods that it was best known. Indeed, Mr. Banks said, there was a secret cellar, which no-one could find in less than a month, and which might, he said, contain tubs of gin. Whether there is or not, the house fetched the large sum of 465. The licence was lost some time since, but it is still a house of call for “uncommercial travellers”, who. Whenever they come to court, speak of the “hotel” as the Rodney.


Folkestone Visitors' List 13 July 1892.

En Passant.

The old Radnor “Hotel”, alias the Rodney, was knocked down to the highest bidder on Thursday, by Messrs. Banks and Son, fetching 465. One of the inducements to buy mentioned by the auctioneer was the existence of a secret cellar, originally used for smuggling purposes, which might contain tubs of gin. Whether this induced the bidders is uncertain, but the price was considered a good one.




BACK John 1847-Sept/50 Next pub licensee had Bagshaw's Directory 1847 Said to have opened as Rodney, but no mention in records

HILL Charles 1851-55 (age 48 in 1851Census)

RAITH/WRAIGHT Henry to Oct/1855 Folkestone Chronicle

Last pub licensee had NORRIS George Oct/1855-61 Folkestone Chronicle

HOGBEN 1861+

TINDLE Robert 1861-62 (age 43 in 1861Census) Folkestone Observer

ROSSITER John 1862-75 Post Office Directory 1874Folkestone Chronicle

ISHERWOOD John 1875-77


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Folkestone ChronicleFrom the Folkestone Chronicle

Folkestone ObserverFrom the Folkestone Observer



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-



LINK to Even More Tales From The Tap Room