Sort file:- Canterbury, October, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 30 October, 2021.


Earliest Feb 2004

(Name from)


Open 2014+

14 St. Peter's Street Street


01227 464227

Cricketers Cricketers Flint Ales window Cricketers sign

Above photo taken by Paul Skelton, 19 May 2012.

Cricketers sign 2010Cricketers sign

Above sign left 2010. Right 19 May 2012 showing the wear in 2 years.

Cricketer's sign 2020

Above sign, 2020, kindly taken and sent by Roger Pester.

Cricketers inside 2011

Photo taken 24 January 2011 from Jelltex.

Cricketer's painting

Above painting by Jonathan Stewardson.


A one time Flint's Brewery, traced back to 1692 and mentioned in their licensing list, the site was then called the "Cherry Tree" but changed name to the "Kentish Cricketer" by 1838, although it was also referred to as just the "Cricketer" in reports of the time .


From the Kentish Chronicle, 26 April, 1862.


George Bailey, a blacksmith's labourer, was charged with assaulting Mr. Fill. landlord of the Cricketer’s public house, on Saturday evening.

Mr. Fill deposed that the prisoner went to his house the worse for liquor and created a disturbance. Mr. Fill put him out, and while doing so the defendant struck him a violent blow on the mouth.

P.O. Groombridge deposed to observing a disturbance in the street near the “Cricketers,” and on going there he saw the landlord bleeding from a blow on the mouth, which he said had been given him by the prisoner, whom he gave into custody. On the way to the station the prisoner was very violent and struck him several times.

The bench fined the prisoner 5s. for the assault on the landlord, and 10s. for that on the policeman; or, in default of payment, to be imprisoned 10 days for the first offence, and 14 days for the second.


From the Whitstable Times, 22 October, 1870.


John Fill, landlord of the “Cricketers,” St, Peter's, was summoned for selling beer at a prohibited hour on Sunday last.

P.C. Marsh proved the case, and stated that he saw a man coming out of the house at half-past eleven on Sunday last with a basket which he found contained a bottle of beer and another bottle containing porter.

Defendant stated that he served the liquor because the man who went for it came from a house close by when there were some visitors from Margate.

The Bench, though convinced the beer and porter were for travellers, held that to entitle defendant to protection on that score, it would be necessary for the travellers to apply personally for the refreshment.

Fined, 1s.; costs, 10s. 6d.


From the Whitstable Times, 26 November, 1870.


Samuel Terrett was summoned for assaulting Timothy Sullivan, on the 14th inst. The complainant said he was sitting in a room at the “Cricketers’” public-house, St. Peter's, on the day in question, and the defendant seized him and knocked him down, and kicked him in the face. He gave the defendant no provocation. The defendant called a witness, who deposed that the complainant made a noise in the house, and his son collared him (witness) by the neck, nearly strangling him, and the complainant kicked him whilst he was on the ground. The defendant then turned the complainant out. The son of the landlord of the house was called, and spoke to the complainant assaulting the defendant, and to Terrett turning the complainant and his son out of the house. The Bench dismissed the case, owing to the conflicting evidence.



The pub was known as the "Kentish Cricketer" in 1972 when it passed from Whitbread to Shepherd Neame, and some time after that date the Kentish word was dropped and it again reverted to the "Cricketers" we see today.

The building was granted a Grade II listing on 7th September 1973.



FILL John 1851-71+ (age 43 in 1861Census) Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

FILL John (son) 1881+ (age 28 in 1881Census)

BOURNE George 1881+ (age 41 in 1881Census)

FILL Elizabeth Mrs 1891+

FILL John 1903+ Kelly's 1903

SOLLY Edward 1911-Deb/41 dec'd (age 31 in 1911Census)


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Greens Canterbury Directory 1868



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-