Sort file:- Dover, February, 2022.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 08 February, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1832


Latest 1962

1 Military Road Kelly's Directory 1950Kelly's Directory 1956

16 York Street Post Office Directory 1874Post Office Directory 1903


Crown Inn

Above photo, date unknown.

Crown 1971

Above photo, 1961, just showing the "Crown" on the right.


On the corner with the old York Street, an outlet of George Beer and Rigden which passed to Fremlin and already well established in 1838. In 1832 Pigot's Directory 1832-34 John Sinnock was listed as a beer retailer.


Kentish Gazette 18 September 1838.


Sept. 12. After a short illness, Mr. John Sinnock, Publican of York-Street, Dover.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 4 July, 1835. Price 7d.


A fire, which threatened to be of serious consequence, originated in a bed-room at the "Crown," public house, on the Military road, early on Thursday morning. The landlord, on rising, struck a light in the room to carry down stairs; and it is supposed, that a drop of sulphur ignited the curtains, as he was soon afterwards alarmed by a cry of fire from without, the flames having burst through the window. Fortunately it was at the time when a number of mechanics were passing to their work; and by their assistance the fire was subdued, but not without injury to the furniture.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 23 August, 1845. Price 5d.


On Tuesday afternoon, at one o'clock, an inquest was held at the “Crown Inn,” Military Road, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the borough, to investigate the circumstances attending the death of Daniel Wright, a labourer, who was killed while engaged in excavating a vault at the back of premises now being erected in Biggin Street, at the corner of Worthington's Lane. The Jury being sworn, they proceeded to view the body, and on their return the examination of witnesses took place as follows:-

Frederick Finn:- I am a bricklayer, and employed by Mr. John Ayers to state some houses in Biggin Street, at the back of which are three vaults. The arches of the vaults were begun on Tuesday week, and finished on the following Wednesday. The centres were struck yesterday morning, and two men and two boys were employed to clear out the rubbish. Wright was one of the men employed. The earth cleared out was thrown by the two lads on the crown of the arches. One vault was cleared – the other one nearest to Worthington's Lane. The quantity taken from it was about three cart loads. A second was being cleared, when the arch first loaded seemed to incline upon the second, and forced the crown of it up, and at once the whole fell in. The deceased and another man were working in the second arch when the fall took place, and both were buried in the ruins. I was on the roof of the house at the time, but came down directly and assisted in clearing the bricks from Hopper, who was extricated in about 15 minutes from the time of the fall, and the deceased in about 25 minutes, but he was quite dead. The vaults were built by James Nightingale, as master man. [This witness was complimented by the Coroner and Mr. Mackenzie (one of the Jury) for his exertions in extricating the men, and for the clear manner in which he gave evidence.]

John Nightingale, bricklayer, Buckland, deposed to being employed in taking the crowns out of the two arches, for the purpose of giving them more spring. Did not know the thickness of the perpendicular walls, but the crowns were carried over in nine-inch work. Was not present at the striking of the arches, which were not struck when witness left them.

James Nightingale, master bricklayer, Buckland: I was engaged by Mr. John Ayers, builder, to erect some houses in Biggin Street. Three weeks ago I completed three vaults in the rear of the premises. The perpendicular walls of the vaults were eighteen inches thick, and composed of flints and lime mortar; the crowns were nine-inch work, of brick and mortar, the bricks used being rough stocks and new spandrels. About six inches below the under side of the crown I filled it with flints and mortar. The two arches next to Worthington's Lane were of 11 feet span, and the other of 13 feet. Before being altered the spring of the arches was eighteen inches. They were completed in three days. Yesterday week I observed (after having eased the centres) that the arches would not stand, upon which I consulted with Mr. Ayres, and it was agreed to take the crowns out of the two arches next to Worthington's Lane, and spring them a foot lower. My brother was employed to do this job, and I assisted him. The new crowns were completed on Thursday last, and the centres were eased a little on the day following. Yesterday (Monday) morning Mr. Ayres told me he should strike the centres, and on going to the building in about two hours afterwards I found that they were struck, and the work then stood well. I gave no orders for loading the arches, nor did I hear till late in the day that any earth had been placed on them. I consider it to be dangerous to load one arch completely before the others were loaded at all, and that it would cause the crowns of those arches not loaded to spring up. With respect to the three arches in question, I should have loaded them, but have placed an equal quantity on each before completing any one of them. The arches were originally built by me at 33s. per rod, (labour). The alterations were day work, and the materials belonged to Mr. Ayres.

John Ayres, builder – I am erecting some houses in Biggin Street. Took the work by contract, that the plans and specifications were furnished by the proprietor, Mr. Taylor, residing near Hampton Park. The vaults were not included in the contract. I was to build them as large as I could, and nothing was named as to the mode of their construction. The vaults were built by Nightingale, as directed by me. Yesterday I had the centres struck, and fearing the spandrels might burst the crowns upwards I ordered the deceased and Hopper to clear out the arches, and the two boys to throw it on the crowns. I saw them about eleven o'clock, and they had then got out three or four cart loads of earth. I saw them again at two, when the arches were all safe, and half an hour afterwards I heard that they had fallen in. I did not apprehend any danger from the quantity of earth placed on the first arch. It would have been more prudent to have placed less on that arch, and an equal quantity on the whole. The materials were my property.

Hammond Divers, the party who struck the centres of the arches, and William Austen, one of the lads employed in loading the arches, were then examined, but nothing further of material importance was elicited.

The Coroner having summed up, the Jury, after a brief deliberation, returned a verdict of Accidental Death, with a demand of five shillings on the materials.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 3 October, 1846. Price 5d.


October 1st, at Dover, Mrs. Pay, wife of Mr. Pay, landlord of the "Crown."


Kentish Gazette 24 November 1857.


Nov. 15, at Hougham Church, near Dover, Mr. P. Middleton, to Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson, widow of the late Mr. Stephen Johnson, of the "Crown Inn," Dover.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 15 April, 1870


Thomas Ashenden, landlord of the "Crown Inn," Military Road, charged with infringing his license by having his house open on Sunday last, was fined 5s. and 9s. 6d. costs, which he paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 26 March, 1875.


An inquest was held at the "Red Cow Inn," Priory Place, Folkestone Road, on Tuesday evening, before W. H. Payn, Esq., coroner. and a jury of which Mr. George Spain was the foreman, on the body of Mary Ann Ashenden who died suddenly.

Thomas Ashended, the landlord of the "Crown" at the foot of Military Hill said: The deceased, was my wife. She had been drooping for the last two or three days. She did not think it necessary to have a medical man. She used to have what she liked. She had a medical man two years ago. This morning about half-past four o'clock, she asked me to get up and call the girl. She said hshe was short of breath, and I heard a noise. I went for Dr. Osborne and on my return I found her apparently quite dead. Dr. Osborne came immediately, but he pronounced her life to be extinct.  Deceased was 72 years of age.

Mr. Ashby G. Osborne said: This morning about five o'clock, the last witness summoned me to see his wife at the "Crown Inn." I went immediately and found her in bed dead, but the body was warm. I had attended her in May and June, 1873, for bronchitis and thinning of the air cells of the lungs, and there was commencing dropsy. I have heard from her husband that she was still suffering from the bronchitis and shortness of breath, and from this evidence I concluded that death occurred as is frequent in such cases. The jury returned a verdict of "Death by natural causes."


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 17 November, 1911.


David Surrage, gunner R.G.A. was charged with wilfully breaking five pint glasses, one ale glass, one glass globe and one mantle in the bar of the "Crown," Military Road, doing damage to the amount of 6s. He was further charged with assaulting G. A. Pointer, landlord of the "Crown" public house, and Edward Wells, of 15, York Street, groom; Mr. Mowll appeared to prosecute.

Augustus georg Pointer, landlord of the "Crown" public house, Military Hill, said on Sunday evening, about ten minutes to 10, the prisoner and another R.G.A. soldier came into the house. The barman called attention to the condition of the prisoner and his friend. The prisoner called for rum, but witness declined to serve him, as he was under the influence of drink. He next saw Wells wiping his trousers and the prisoner then hits Wells in the face. He picked up several glasses and threw them across the bar. One hit the gas globe breaking it. Six glasses were smashed. The barman went into the public side of the counter, and witness jumped over. They got the prisoner outside. He then took his belt, tunic and cap off, and started fighting, going for the barman. Witness blew a police whistle, and the prisoner ran away. Witness caught him up at the top of the passage leading to the sixty-four steps. The prisoner then struck witness in the mouth, damaging his teeth. Witness got him to Market Street, and handed him over to P.C. Dunford.

William John Barden, barman, said that the prisoner and the man with him had had sufficient when they came into the house. After the prisoner had been advised to go home he picked up another customer's refreshment and drank it. He was immediately sick over Well's trousers. Wells said that the prisoner aught to apologise and said it was a dirty trick. The prisoner struck Wells in the eye and then started throwing the glasses about. They got him out, and the prisoner struck at witness several times. Witness dodged most of them, but the prisoner got the best in, and the blow hit witness on the chin, knocking him down. Wells came to witness's assistance, and whilst on the ground prisoner kicked Wells in the eye.

Edward Wells, whose face was very much swollen and eye black, said that after the prisoner was refused drink he was sick over him. He said to the prisoner "You might wipe it off." He pulled out his handkerchief, but instead of using it, he punched witness in the jaw. Afterward he knocked witness down and kicked him in the left eye.

P.C. Dunford said that he went towards York Street, where he heard a police whistle blowing, and saw the prisoner being detained by Mr. Pointer, who gave him into custody for assault and wilful damage. He was under the influence of drink.

The Magistrates, without asking the prisoner whether he had any defence, fined him 26s. including costs, for wilful damage, and 1 for assault, and 6s. costs, or in default 14 days for each offence. The prisoner elected to go to prison.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 5 July, 1912.


At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Messrs. G. C. Rubie (in the chair) and Edward Chitty.

Alice Blythe was summoned by Annie Everett, of 4, The Terrace, Union Row, for assault on the 26th June.

Charles Burrows, of Glenfield Road, was summonsed by Alice Blythe (the defendant in the previous case) for assault on the same day.

Burrows pleaded not guilty.

Annie Everett, late of 4, Union Terrace, Union Row, said: On the 26th June I was in the "Crown Inn," Military Hill, with my mother and young man the defendant Burrows. The defendant Blythe had some words with my mother, and came from where she was to the private bar to strike my mother. I stood in front of my mother, and Blythe struck me in the face, making my nose bleed. I punched her in the eye, and she got hold of my throat and tried to get me on the floor, then she tried to hit me with a jug and glasses, and the landlord locked her away from us. We went home, and she followed, and threw some stones through the window. The police were sent for. The defendant Burrows pushed Blythe when she got hold of my throat in the "Crown." Blythe goes with Burrows into custody, but he was not detained at the Police Station.

Susan Everett, Union Terrace, Union Row, said: On June 26th the defendant Blythe came into the "Crown" to strike me, but my daughter got between us, the defendant struck her, and then tried to get her on the floor. Burrows went to my daughter's assistance, and Blythe later came and threw some stones through my window. Witness also showed marks on her face, which she said were caused by Blythe, who had also ill-treated another of witness's daughters.

Defendant said it was a lie.

Defendant Blythe said: On the previous occasion in another public-house, Mrs. Everett asked me to have drink, but as I at first refused, she said I was nasty, and so to be civil I had a glass of stout, but directly I sipped it she said I had been intimate with her husband. I told her that I had never spoken to him, and she shoved me and nearly put me through a glass door; and the landlord asked her to leave. She would not, but kept shoving me. The landlord put her out, and she started banging the window. On the day in question, Mrs. Everett called me immoral names in the "Crown," and I got up and said, "All you got on Saturday you deserved, and had you been a young woman you would have ........ (unreadable text) ....... pushed me, and I struck the daughter, but Burrows got up and siad, "Don't you strike my girl"; and this is what he did to me (pointing to a black eye), and I had been to the hospital every day. The other people in the place told me not to get excited, and closed the door on me from the others. The daughter also scratched me.

Gordon Grant, the potman at the "Crown" sad, I heard these peple having words, and saw Mrs. Everett push Blythe out, and, in defence, Blythe struck her. Burrows got up to defend Everett and struck Blythe. The landlord separated them. Blythe left the house after the others.

In reply to Burrows, witness said he could not say where defendant struck Blythe. Defendant pushed and struck her.

Augustus George Pointer, landlord of the "Crown Inn," said he saw Burrows strike Blythe, and had to prevent him from doing it again. The handle of the jug and a glass were broken, but he did not know how.

The Chief Constable said Burrows was brought to the Police Station to be given in charge by Blythe for assault. She talked very quickly, and was very excited, and it was difficult to get to the bottom of the affair. Burrows denied the assault, and in questioning, Blythe admitted she had been assaulted by other persons, and had broken the window of the house. Under all the circumstances, witness let Burrows go, and said it would be best to decide the trouble by a summons.

The Chairman said the evidence was not very creditable to any of the parties. Each defendant would pay the costs, 10s. 6d., and would be bound over to keep the peace. The complainant Everett would also be bound over.

Mrs. Everett was also called over and warned.


From the Dover Express, 13 October, 1916.


At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Captain R. B. Cay, R.N. (in tie chair), Messrs. J. W. Bussey, H. Hobday and Kdward Chitty.

The licence of “The Crown” Inn, Military Road, from Mr. Hilton to Mr. Townsend, of Sevenoaks, where he had been a jobbing bricklayer.

The Chief Constable said that this was a house which required to be dealt with with a firm hand. It had improved a good deal under the late holder of the licence, but would soon deteriorate if it was not dealt with firmly.


Dover Express, Friday 22 September 1939.

Breaches of Blackout Rules.

Richard George Husk, the "Crown Inn," Military Road, pleaded not guilty to a similar offence at 10:15 p.m. on September 3rd.

Mr. Aldington appeared for defendant. P.C. Huddart said he was in Worthington Street, when he saw a blaze of light coming from the direction of the "Crown Inn." He found the lights were coming from the cellar window. He saw the light for about 10 minutes, but defendant told him it was only on about 2 minutes while he was in the cellar.

Defendant said he had two boards against the window. He was only in the cellar a minute.

The Chairman:- Have you had it obscured now?

Yes, sir.

Find 10s.


Reinstatement of war damage, provisionally expected to cost 341, was refused in August 1946 the site being needed for redevelopment. A compulsory purchase order was made some years later. Concerning its acquisition a compensation figure of 5,700 was mentioned in March 1962. Perhaps it was accepted. The pub did close on 16 April 1962.


On 6 October 1967 the area was described as the site of the former, and recently demolished "Crown" and in June 1972, the entrance from Worthington Street to Military Road was closed for good to all traffic. An interesting analogy there perhaps because the erection of the pub had ousted a pair of gates which led to the pastures above.


The licence was transferred in 1962 from Walter Nadin, the last licensee, to Thomas Rogers on behalf of Fremlin. Later it passed to Fremlin manager John Coomber.



SINNOCK John 1832-Sept/38 dec'd Pigot's Directory 1832-34

PAY Edward 1840-47+ Next pub licensee had (age 35 in 1841Census) Pigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847

MARSH Charlotte 1850-51+ (age 32 in 1851Census) Dover Telegraph

JOHNSON Stephen pre 1857

JOHNSON Mrs Elizabeth 1857-58 Melville's 1858

MIDDLETON Palmer Next pub licensee had 1861+ (age 40 in 1861Census)

Last pub licensee had FRIEND John 1869-71

DURAND David 1871+ (aged 68 in 1871Census)

ASHENDON Thomas 1871-Apr/75 (age 72 in 1871Census) Post Office Directory 1874Dover Express

GRIGG George William Apr/1875-81 (age 34 in 1881Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1882

GRIGG Mary Ann 1881+ (age 34 in 1881Census)

WARDEN William Charles 1891-95 (age 33 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1891Pikes 1895

CAMBAGE James 1898-1907 (age 60 in 1901Census) Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

Last pub licensee had CLARK William 1907-11 end Pikes 1909

POINTER Augustus George 1911-Aug/12 (age 26 in 1911Census) Dover Express

SKINNER John William Aug/1912-Feb/14 Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1913

HILTON Thomas Feb/1914-Oct/16 Next pub licensee had Dover Express (previously 29 years as signalman at Sevenoaks)

TOWNSEND Leonard Oct/1916-Apr/1921 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had CLARK Harry Apr/1921-Jan/24 dec'd Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923

CLARK Mrs Ellen (widow) Jan/1924-Aug/25 Dover ExpressPikes 1924

LING Henry Samuel Aug/1925-Aug/31 Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1930 (Pig breeder, St. Mary Cray, Kent)

GILLMAN Richard Aug/1931-Dec/37 Dover ExpressPikes 1932-33Post Office Directory 1938 (Dover Dock Porter)

KINGSMAN Charles Smith Dec/1937-39 end Next pub licensee had Dover ExpressPikes 1938-39

Last pub licensee had HUSK Richard George 13/Jan/1939-Dec/39 Dover Express

HARRISON Frederick Ronald John Dec/1939+ Dover Express

RUFF Ernest Charles 1947 end

WALSH John 1947-48 end Pikes 48-49

McPHERSON John Robertson 1948-50+ Kelly's Directory 1950

NADIN Walter 1953-62 end Next pub licensee had Kelly's Directory 1953Kelly's Directory 1956


The Dover Express reported James Skinner as being from Canterbury. Frederick Ronald John Harrison, late of 17, Lower Bridge St., Canterbury.


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1909From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1909

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

Dover TelegraphFrom the Dover Telegraph



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-