203 Dover Road
ABOVE: Dover Road, Walmer in 1920, looking down towards Walmer seafront
with The Drum on the left.
ABOVE: The "Drum" public house used to be on the right of this view
of Dover Road, Walmer, before it was knocked down to make way for road
Above photo showing the Charrington pub the Drum in 1952.
Above picture kindly supplied by Deal library. Newspaper cutting from East
Kent Mercury, Thursday, October 14th, 1965.
Not to be confused with the "Drum Major".
A J Langridge's research in 1977 mentions the "Drum" in Dover Road as
being built in 1541 and demolished in 1970.
From the Kentish Post, 9-12 March, 1757. Kindly sent
from Alec Hasenson.
Sale of a large Hooker Boat, at the "Drum" in Walmer, 14th March 1757.
From the East Kent Mercury, 23 November, 1983
By Julie Deller.
DRUMMING UP INN MEMORIES
Although it has passed into history, the "Drum Inn" at Upper Walmer
will be remembered by many.
This ancient hostelry derived its name from a time when military
masons were engaged in building Henry VIII's castles for coastal
Some builders were encamped on the high ground, later to be named
Local men supplemented the work force and were summoned each morning
by the sound of drum beats. Marching behind this drummer, they made
their way to work.
Unexpected guests arrived at the "Drum Inn" after the Great Storm of
November 26-27 in 1703. The landlord's son William Penny, was then
aboard Stirling Castle (one of the ill-fated Channel Squadron lost on
the Goodwin Sands).
Together with other survivors from that vessel he arrived in Walmer,
as flags were flown at half-mast from our three castles.
Mr. Penny placed his inn at the disposal of these men, who included
four marine captains, the third lieutenant, chaplain, cook, surgeon and
Gathered in the cosy inn, the locals must have marvelled at the
stories recounted, but possibly the most amazing to be heard was that of
This seaman was the only survivor from the flagship Mary and told of
how "a great billow" washed him from the deck of that ship on to the
already sinking Stirling Castle.
According to Atkins, an empty long boat floated past and another
massive wave dashed him into this boat. He was saved from death, in the
worst naval disaster in British history, by the crew of the Deal lugger.
From the Dover Mercury, 30 December, 2010.
ROAD TOOK ITS NAME FROM A 500-YEAR-OLD INN
A LONG straight stretch of Dover Road going down towards The Strand
and Walmer seafront is known by many people as Drum Hill.
For those who wonder why, that part of the A258 into Deal was named
after a pub which was demolished in the late 1960s.
It is possible it was knocked down to make way for road improvements
as the corner used to be an accident blackspot.
The "Drum" stood almost opposite the junction of Dover Road with
Walmer Castle Road and the first written records of an inn on the site
date back to 1541, according to The Old Pubs of Deal and Walmer.
There is a story that revealed that the name was a reminder of the
times when a drum was sounded along the road in the morning to remind
workers building the Tudor Walmer Castle that it was time to get out of
In 1664 the property was owned by local brewer Thomas Ffasham and
there was a succession of people running the business until the pub was
rebuilt in 1897.
William Minter was the final person in charge behind the bar of "The
Drum" and he retired in 1968. The next year, aged 69, he died suddenly
at his home in William Pitt Avenue, Deal, April 23.
He had taken over the business in the Second World War from his
mother and ran it with his wife Florence.
Minter's Taxis used to be based in the building and, according to an
old picture, there used to be a "fly proprietor" and coal merchant based
on the site.
There was a big house next to "The Drum" which jutted out into the
road, making the street narrow. It was the scene of a few death crashes
and known as dangerous corner.
• The Old Pubs of Deal and Walmer (with Kingsdown and Mongeham) is by
Steve Glover and Michael Rogers. It was published earlier this year by
Bygone Publishing and is now out in paper back for £15.99.
Positioned close to Drum Hill, the hill was named
after the pub, the pub being probably the oldest
traceable in Walmer.
WILLINGTON Thomas & COUPER Ben 1643+
NEALE Jacobus 1664+
CRANBROOKE Julia 1674+
PARSONS Mary 1681+
PENNY Mr 1703+
BURNVILLE Robert 1705-24
RICKMAN John 1766-87
HOLBROOK Charles 1797-1803
SMITH Jesse 1804-28+ (1804)
MARSH Charles 1807
ANSELL George 1832-39+
RAYNER John 1849-40+
RAYNER Elizabeth 1847-60
HUXSTEP Stephen 1860-66
MINTER William Robert 1867-99+
(& fly proprietor & coal merchant, wharf, Railway station)
MINTER William James 1913-34+
MINTER Mrs Edith J 1938-Sept/51
MINTER William Sept/1951-1968
From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29
From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34
From the Pigot's Directory 1839
From the Pigot's Directory 1840
Bagshaw Directory 1847
From Melville's Directory 1858
From the Kelly's Directory 1862
From the Post Office Directory 1874
From the Kelly's Directory 1874
From the Post Office Directory 1882
From the Post Office Directory 1891
the Kelly's Directory 1899
From the Post Office Directory 1913
Deal Library List 1914
From the Post Office Directory 1918
From the Post Office Directory 1922
From the Post Office Directory 1930
the Kelly's Directory 1934
From the Post Office Directory 1938
The Old Pubs of Deal and Walmer by Glover and Rogers