|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
192 Lower Street
The Sandwich Borough Records shows Licensed Victuallers who paid for new Inn signs, 6s. 8d, and Sureties of £5 on 12th September, 1662.
I am beginning to believe that this pub and the one listed as the "Black Horse" in the High Street are one and the same. Further research is needed here.
This Inn known by the name and sign of "The Black Horse" was built in the 12th year of James 1 in 1618, though the structure was altered and possibly added to during the reign of George III in 1762.
When first built the house was owned by Thomas Blackstall innkeeper of Deal. It was he who after disposing of another inn in Deal, commissioned the building of the "Black Horse." For many years he had owned an inn called "The Drum" on the old Dover highway. Blackstall kept the "Black Horse" for many years until his death in 1643, where after his wife Megan, "The Widow Blackstoole", as was written by the terms of her husband's will. Inherited the inn.
In 1651, while still keeper here, the widow played host to the council of Deal, who spent 2 pounds, 18 shillings and 9 pence on wine and beer, upon the proclamation of the new Mayor. In 1660 at the reformation of the crown, a similar sum was spent plus a further 2 shillings for beating the drum. By this date the widow Blackstall had died and the Inn was kept by Samuel Hookham, "ynnkeyper and chandler of the "Blak Horse," Lowere Strete, Deyl. He kept the inn until 1674, disposing of it by sele in that year to one Elias Rickets, innkeeper and boatbuiIder. He later became the beacon man or beacon Iighter of Deal, who when called upon would fire the beacon at a small marshy inlet near Sholden.
By 1700, the "Black Horse" was kept by Robert Stanton, his was a surgeon and wine merchant of Deal, who apart from running the Inn, when called upon would tend to injured sailors who were brought ashore to the inn, or on occasions would be rowed out to ships lying in the Downs. He was still there in 1712, but in that year is described as surgeon, wine merchant and victualler to ships of the Navy. When Stanton died In 1738, he left the Inn to his nephew, Richard Barrell, a shipping agent of Dover. He stayed for many years, during which time "The Black Horse" became a customs house.
Smuggling was rife in DeaI during the mid to Iate 18th century, as it was through the length and breadth of the Kent coast. But Deal in particular, for it was here that the Deal luggers were built, a craft favoured by smugglers. During this period many of the townsfolk were involved in some way with smuggling us were many officials of the port. There were many tunnels and passages that ran beneath the houses to the beach. Some of these like the one below "The Black Horse" still exist but have long since been blocked up. And although "The Black Horse" was a customs house and excise office, smugglers were known to have frequented the inn. In 1781, Joseph Venn a well known smuggler was arrested while drinking there. There are seizure reports mentioning the Inn, when contraband was stored there. In 1780 1200 lbs of tea, in 1782 20½ ankers of brandy & 10 tubs of Holland gin.
One Richard BARTON victualler to the Navy kept the lnn at this date. In 1805 he became a wine merchant. He stayed at "The Black Horse" until his death in 1831, he died a much admired and popular figure.
William Bax, a naval cutler and Innkeeper took over from him. He was succeeded by Wanley Holton, who in 1869 sold "The Black Horse" to Outwin & Co of 71 Sloane St. London. They advertised "The Black Horse" and the "Clarendon Hotel" which they also owned as Commercial and Family Hotels situated in the heart of business, 1 minute from the sea. Etc.
BLACKSTALL Thomas 1618-43
BLACKSTOOLE Megan (Widow of above) 1643-51+
HOOKHAM Samuel 1660-74
RICKETTS Elias 1674+
STANTON Robert 1700-38
BARRELL Richard 1738+
WHITE Edward 1756+
MOORE John 1662+ ?
BERRY Anthony & Jane 1679-1751 ?
From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29
From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34
From the Pigot's Directory 1840
From the Dover Telegraph
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-