Sort file:- Canterbury, November, 2019.

Page Updated:- Friday, 15 November, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton & Rory Kehoe

Earliest 1838-

Navy Arms

Latest 1903+

51 Ivy Lane


Former Navy Arms 2017

Above photo, August 2017, kindly taken and sent by Rory Kehoe.


The numbers of this Lane have changed over the years, the "Sawyers Arms" was once listed as number 7. I first assumed the "Navy Arms" was number 57, but have been informed that it was 51.

The pub was sold in 1855 at an auction held at the "Rose Hotel."

As far as my research has taken me, the pub was still operating in 1903.

I am informed that this was a few doors from the "Woolpack."


57 Ivy Lane

Above photo showing 57 Ivy Lane today. The Closed Pub website suggests that this used to be the pub, but I believe renumbering has made this information incorrect.


Maidstone Telegraph and West Kent Messenger 3 September 1870.


On Tuesday morning early, as one of the men employed on the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway was walking near the chalk-pit near the Old Dover Road, he saw the body of a man lying between the two lines. His skull was severely fractured and the brains were protruding. Assistance was immediately called, and the man, who appeared to be a country labourer, was taken to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital where he died at about one o'clock on the same day. Not any part of his body was braised, and it is supposed that he must have been walking along the line on the night before when he was struck by some portion of a passing train. His name has not been ascertained. The only hope of tracing him is by a watch found upon him, which appears to have been recently mended by a watchmaker at Folkestone. An inquest was held at the “Navy Arms," Ivy-lane, last night, when a verdict of “Accidentally killed on the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway” was returned. The police are endeavouring to discover the name of the deceased.


From the Whitstable Times, 8 October, 1870.


William Coltham was charged with an assault upon John Gilbey, landlord of the “Navy Arms,” Ivy-lane.

Complainant, who appeared to be in a very excited state, said defendant was frequently at his house and carried his acquaintance with his wife rather too far, and also conducted himself as if he was master of the house. Seven times he had struck him, and on Tuesday he hit him violently in the month. In stating what he had to endure from the defendant and his wife complainant mentioned that one morning, when he happened to go downstairs early, he saw his wife let defendant out, and he “flew over the garden like a shot.” (Laughter.)

A man named Edward Pearson said he was putting a lock on a cupboard in a room in the house on Tuesday when he saw defendant with his arm on complainant's shoulders and preventing him from attacking his wife. Defendant might have struck complainant, but he did not see him.

In defence, Coltham said complainant was threatening his wife with a candle-stick, when he interfered. He called complaint’s wife, who denied that any blows were struck. Complainant was going to strike her violently, and she asked defendant to assist her. She had always been a good wife to her husband, and to convince the Bench of this she went on to state, amidst considerable laughter, what she had done for him.

The Magistrates thought there had bean am assault committed, and told defendant it was dangerous for anyone to interfere in a domestic quarrel. The fine would be 5s., costs, 11s.

Defendant declared if he heard anyone cry out "Murder” he would not protect them in future.

As complainant was leaving the Court, his wife rushed at him and struck him. A “scene” ensued, and the officers of the Court had some difficulty in keeping the woman from striking him again. Finding herself a prisoner, however, she soon cooled down, and saved herself from being charged with as assault by promising to go home and behave properly to her husband. The latter did not appear to think much of the promise, and said he would go home under protection, but should not speak to his wife. The woman thereupon declared him to be mad, and the parties had to be watched home by the police.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 13 September 1879.


On Wednesday evening last an inquest was held at the "Navy Arms" on the body of John Castle, of Nonington, who died in the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. The deceased had suffered from paralysis for many years, and being left at home alone, fell out of his chair and broke one of his legs. He was brought to the hospital here, where he died yesterday morning from the effects of the accident.

The jury returned a verdict accordingly.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 15 September, 1883.


Dr. Johnson, the city coroner, on Saturday evening held an inquest at the "Navy Arms Inn," Ivy Lane, on the body of Thomas Adcock, aged about 30 years, a married man, employed as a locomotive flagman and steersman.

Stephen Holden, also a steersman, residing in Rosemary Lane, deposed that he was in the employ of Messrs. Moore and Fagg. They were now doing work for Messrs. Rigden, brewers, of Canterbury and Faversham. On the previous evening the traction engine witness was with returned from Faversham with a load of beer, starting about six o’clock. The journey occupied nearly six hours. When beside Coach and Horses Hill witness, who had been steering, got down to attend to the lamps. The engine driver, Cramp, said "what's that," and stated that he had heard someone behind him say, "Oh dear." Witness went back to see what was the matter, and found deceased lying on the ground, the front wheel of the hind track having passed over him. Deceased said "I am in trouble, I am in trouble," and witness called for his mate (Knight), who came immediately and laid Adcock on the bank, while witness held the light. A vehicle was procured, and deceased was taken to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. Deceased went to Faversham with the engine as hind-man, there being three tracks, and at that place assisted to load the beer. On the return journey he left them at Boughton Hill, and they did not see him again until they got to Mr. Duncan’s, when he drove along in a greengrocer’s van. He then walked with witness far as Mr. Cruttenden’s, but he (Holden) then got on the engine, and saw no more of his companion until the accident. Deceased’s business ended when they arrived at Faversham, but they did not take back one of the tracks. He could not see but what deceased was quite sober. The waggon which passed over him weighed about eight tons.

Hurben Knight, flagman, of Northgate Street, said he was called by the last witness and moved deceased on to the bank. He asked him (Adcock) how he came there, but all be could say was "Harry, turn me over. I am in trouble." Witness believed he was sober. When at Faversham deceased told his mate that he should go and see his wife, who was hopping in that locality.

Daniel Cramp, engine driver, of Prospect Place, said deceased was to have gone back to Canterbury by the 2.36 train, but, as he was too late, and the gas engine at Faversham brewery by which the casks were lifted having broken down, he stayed to help.

P.C. Sutton, K.C.C., said be was called by Mr. Sworder, of Range House, shortly before eleven o’clock, to the scene of the accident. Deceased was conscious, but groaning with pain. They gave him some brandy and water and bandaged his leg, but he died before reaching the hospital.

Mr. Frank Sturges, house surgeon at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, deposed that life was quite extinct at the time of Adcock’s admission. He found on the right leg a flesh wound about ten inches long, and the thigh was fractured very high up. The abdomen was bruised, and he had sustained other serious injuries, but no rupture. Deceased appeared to have died from shock.

The Coroner commended the manner in which the constable attended to the unfortunate man.

A verdict of "Accidental Death" was recorded.



DEAKNEY John 1838-51? Stapletons Guide

HILLS John 1847+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847

WOOD John William 1858+ Melville's 1858

Last pub licensee had SMITHSON John 1861-62+ (age 74 in 1861Census) Post Office Directory 1862

RUSSELL E Mrs 1867+

GILBY John 1870+

GILBY Susanna 1871+ (widow age 42 in 1871Census)

WILSON John William 1874-91+ Post Office Directory 1874Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Post Office Directory 1882Post Office Directory 1891

ELLIS Thomas H 1903+ Post Office Directory 1903


Stapletons GuideStapleton's Guide 1838

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Greens Canterbury Directory 1878

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-