Page Updated:- Monday, 05 August, 2019.


Earliest 1869

New Castle Inn

Closed 1995


Ewell Minnis

New Castle 1915

Above photo circa 1915 showing John & Sarah Aedy with Harold & Edith. Kindly sent by Barbara Patton.

New Castle Inn Ewell Minnis 1995
New Castle Inn Ewell Minnis 1995
New Castle Inn Ewell Minnis 1995
New Castle Inn Ewell Minnis 1995

The above four photos show the New Castle Inn in Ewell Minnis 2 March 1995.

New Castle 2005

Above photo circa 2005, kindly sent by Barbara Patton.

Newcastle Inn

Above photo by Paul Skelton show the now closed Newcastle Inn. 8th Sept 2007.

Newcastle Inn

Above photo by Paul Skelton show the now closed Newcastle Inn. 8th Sept 2007.

Awaiting picture of Whitbread sign. If anyone should have an image please email me, address at bottom.

Above card issued April 1955. Sign series 5 number 30.


At present, I am not 100% certain of the information I have received regarding this public house. I was informed that the original building, then called the  "Castle Inn" was burnt down near the turn of the 20th century. The new building, being called the "New Castle Inn" was built just around the corner on what, today is hard to believe used to be one of the main routes to London. However, further research does make reference to a "New Castle" from a police report of 1886, when some forged sovereigns were tried to be passed, so a "New Castle" certainly existed before the one shown above.

The "New Castle" (two words), so I have been told, was built in 1902 just around the corner from the original "Castle Inn" and at some point along its history became just one word:- "Newcastle," but this information has not been validated yet. In fact, I am not even sure it was ever officially called the "Newcastle Inn" with one word, and this may just be how travellers referred or assumed it was named. However, the following email from Neil Harrison proves the pub was there before 1902.

Further research has turned up this account of the pub in 1869 being called the "Newcastle", so I think the story of the original one being simply the "Castle" is no more than misguided hearsay.


Dover Express, Friday 8 January 1869.

The Remanded Charge of Poaching.

William Harris and James Whitehead, the men remanded from Saturday, on a charge of poaching, were again placed at the bar.

Mr. Fox now appeared for the prosecution.

The evidence given by Knott on Saturday having been read over, the following additional testimony was taken.

The witness Knott, by Mr. Fox:- The men had a dog with them when they went out of the wood. I was struck with a barrel of the gun - the butt end of the barrel.

Thomas Hubbard:- I am a labourer in the employ of Mr. Austin, of Denton. In the early part of Saturday morning, about 6:30, I was called by Mr. Knott, and we went along the turnpike Road, after the two prisoners, for about 20 or 30 rods. Mr. Knott said to them, "You have been in my wood, and I must take you for poaching. If you don't like to go with me, I must go with you." The prisoners, after a little time, took to their heels and ran away, and we ran after them. After we had pursued them a short distance Whitehead said to the other prisoner, "If you will look after the other, I'll stop this one from halloowing." Whitehead then struck Knott with a wattle-stake, and the other prisoner drew the barrel of the gun and also struck him on the head with it. Knott fell to the ground after each of the blows. We ran after the prisoners for some distance, and until Jarvis said that if we followed them any further he would shoot us. The prisoners were them running in the direction of Alkham Minnis. On the previous night I saw the prisoners in a public house at Selsted. After losing sight of the prisoners, we went and gave information to the police.

Ephraim Everett, under-keeper to Mr. Willatts:- On Saturday morning, about 6 o'clock, I was called by Knott, who came to me and said he had heard two guns fired in the wood. We still talking a few minutes, and during that time we heard two more shots. Knott told me to go into the wood, and said he would stand at the opposite corner, to see which way the parties came out. I went into the wood, and left Knott outside. I stopped in the woods some time, but neither saw nor heard anything, and when I came to the spot where I expected to find Knott I could see nobody.

John Hobbs:- I am a labourer and live at Swingfield. Early on Saturday morning last I was going to work when I met Knott, Hubbard, and two two men I believed to be the prisoners. Knott wanted me to go back, and I did so for about 10 yards, till the prisoners ran away. Knott then sent me after a policeman. I believe the prisoners are the same men, but I cannot swear to them, as I did not see enough of them. It was moonlight.

Knott, recalled:- I was with the prisoners and the police at a public houses the same morning. Police-constable Stone entered the house, and brought with him a gun and four pheasants. He afterwards went out again and brought back another pheasant and 21 rabbit nets. The gun, birds, and nets produced are the same. When Stone came in the second time Jarvis said to him, in the presence of the other prisoner, "How many pheasants have you there?" Stone reply. "Five," and Jarvis said, "Then you have one more and belongs to you." Whitehead remarked that it would puzzle me to replace the pheasants. Stone asked me to examine the gun, and as I knew more about it than he did; and on examining it I found it loaded. Jarvis then ask the landlord to fire it off, remarking that it had not been fired off for a week. When I came to Dover I drew the charge, and found that the gun had been recently used. I had the gun in my possession from the time it was brought in by Stone till the charge was drawn. Stone was in my company all the time.

Police-constabulary Edward Kay:- I am stationed at Swingfield. On Saturday morning last I was sent for by Knott, and in consequence of what was told me I went towards Alkham. I met Stone, and on going to the "Newcastle Inn," Alkham Minnis, we found the two prisoners sitting in the taproom. I asked Knott if they were the two men, and he said, "Yes." In company with Stone I apprehended the prisoners on a charge of poaching at Denton and of assaulting the keeper. Whitehead said, "You must be mistaken, old boy, as we have been here for the last 2 hours." Jarvis said nothing. I asked her landlord, in the presence of the prisoners, how long they had been there, and he said, "About 20 minutes." The prisoners had nothing with them when they were taken. Stone went away, and I kept the prisoners in the house till they were brought to Dover. I was present when the charge of the gun was drawn.

Police-constable Stone:- I'm stationed at Hougham. On Saturday morning I saw police-constable Kay and Mr. Knott at Evenden Farm, in the parish of Alkham, about 7:30. Knott was bleeding from a wound on the head. His face was covered with blood. In consequence of what he told me we went to the public house described by the last witness, where we found the prisoners sitting in the taproom. Knott having identified the prisoners in my presence, I went to Jarvis's house, which is close to the "Newcastle Inn." In consequence of something I said to Mrs. Jarvis she gave me the gun produced, in which her son had brought home that morning. It was standing against the wall in the front room. I found four peasants in the pantry. They had been recently killed, as they were still quite warm. I took the gun and the four birds to the public house, where the prisoners were detained by Kay. Whitehead asked for his over jacket and said it was round at Jarvis's, where he had been lodging. I went back to Mrs. Jarvis's for the jacket. I asked her for the jacket Whitehead had worn home that morning, and he pointed it out in the front room and I took it up. On further research I found another pheasant lying between the brine tubs in the pantry, and also 21 rabbit nets. On returning to the public house the second time Jarvis asked me how many pheasants I had, and on my telling him I had five, he said I had one more than I ought to have. I don't remember that Whitehead said anything. I saw the charge drawn, and produced it.

The prisoners, who had nothing to say in their defense, were committed for trial at the Kent Adjourned Sessions, commenced yesterday at Maidstone.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 16 January 1869.

Alkham. Poaching.

On Tuesday last at Dover, before S. Finish, E. F. Astley, and E. P. Elsted, Esq., William Jarvis and James Whitehead, of Alkham, were charged with poaching, and a salt in Samuel Knott, a gamekeeper.

Samuel Knott, gamekeeper to Mr. Willatts, Denton Court, Canterbury, deposed:- On Saturday morning about 10 minutes before 6, I heard of a gun fired in Denton wood, and directly afterwards I heard a second report. Whilst I am my man were talking we heard two more shots. I sent my man into the wood while I watch myself on the road. I then crossed to the pheasantry and heard some men go out into the road. I followed and saw the prisoners go into the road from Denton wood. Their pockets were filled out. Jarvis had the barrel of a gun in his inside pocket, and Whitehead had the stock. I called a labourer named Thomas Hubbard, and when I got up to the prisoners another man of the name of Hobbs, who works for Mr. Willatts, came up. I told them they were suspected of poaching; and if they would not come with us we would go with them. I then told Hobbs to fetch a policeman, and they ran off. I and Hubbard followed them till they got into a hollow where Jarvis pulled the barrel out of his pocket, and Whitehead pulled out the stock. Jarvis said, "Give me the stock and I will shoot them. Keep them off till I get the gun in the stock." Whitehead, Having a rail in hand, struck me on the head. I returned the blow with a life preserver and knocked him down. Jarvis who had hold of the barrel end of the gun, struck me on the head and knocked me down, cutting my head open. Hubbard picked me up, and Jarvis said, "Come on and I will knock you down again." I stood still a minute and Jarvis put the stock on and swore he would shoot me if I stirred another inch. Then ran off again and I and Hubbard ran after them. Jarvis stopped a second time, swore he would shoot me if I came any further, and ran on again. We then lost them, and I went to fetch a policeman.

I went to the "Newcastle" public house, Alkham, and pointed out the two prisoners. They had a dog with them when they came out of the wood. While at the public house, I saw P.C. Stone come in, and bring a gun and four pheasants. He then went out and brought in another pheasant and 21 rabbit nets. When Stone came in the second time, Jarvis said, in the presence of the other prisoners, "You have got one more than belongs to you," and Whitehead said, "It would puzzle me to replace them again." Stone wanted me to examine the gun, which I did and found it loaded. Jarvis asked the landlord to fire it off, as it had not been fired off for a week. I can swear that the gun had been recently used.

Hubbard, Hobbs, and Everitt, under-keeper, corroborated Knotts statement.

P.C. Stone said:- I met Mr. Knott and P.C. Kay, and went with them to the public house at Alkham. I saw Mr. Knott bleeding from the head. Mrs. Jarvis gave me this gun and four pheasants, which were lying on the tubs in the pantry. They seemed to have been recently killed, for they were quite warm. I took the gun and the pheasants to the public house, and Whitehead said he wanted his jacket, which he had left at Mrs. Jarvis's where he had been lodging. I went again to Mrs. Jarvis's and asked her for the jacket that Whitehead had worn that morning. She pointed it out to me in the front room; it was covered with mud. On further searching I found another pheasant between the tubs, with 21 rabbit nets and an old hat. The nets were in the hat. When I returned to the public house Jarvis asked me how many pheasants I had got. I told him 5, and he said, "You have got one more than you ought to have.

The magistrate submitted the prisoners for trial at the County Sessions.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 18 May, 1900.


Mr. Hatton Brown applied for the license of the “New Castle Inn” at Ewell Minnis to be altered in regard to the name of the license holder from Ellis Keeler to Mrs. Ellis Harnett, as the lady had married.


From The Dover Express, Friday, July 10, 1903; pg,1; Issue 2349.


A Capital Milch Cow, with Calf, suitable for dairyman.

Apply H. F. Goldfinch, "Newcastle Inn," Ewell Minnis, near Dover.


Dover Express 22 September 1905.


John Hearn George Burgess and Frederick Prescott, of Alkham were summoned and pleaded guilty to a charge that on Sunday, September 10th, at the hour of 11.30 a.m., they, by falsely pretending to be travellers, obtained intoxicating liquor, beer, from Amy Elizabeth Harnett, landlady of the "Newcastle Inn," Ewell Minnis. They told the landlady that they came from Folkestone, but when a surprise visit was paid by Police Constable Walker they admitted that they lived at South Alkham.

Fines of 10/- each including costs were imposed.


Dover Express 06 October 1905.

THE ANNUAL HARVEST SUPPER took place at the "Newcastle Inn" on Saturday last, when about 60 guests sat down to a most excellent spread provided by the Hostess. Mr. W. Laker, of the Maxton Brewery, presided, assisted by Mr. V. O. Golder as vice. The music and singing of Messrs. Reeves and Roberts were highly appreciated, and applause was given to the rare old country songs rendered by Messrs. Shelvey, Everett, Mathwes, Wickingham, Couchman, and Brooks. Thanks to Mrs. Harnett for catering and success to the Maxton Brewery were proposed and drunk most cordially, and a very pleasant evening was brought to a close by the company singing "Auld Lang Syne."


Dover Express 11 October 1907.


A harvest supper was held at the "New Castle Inn," Ewell Minnis, with Mr. W. Laker in the chair. About 75 were present, including the employees from the Maxton Brewery. After supper the evening was spent in harmony, etc.


Further research has identified the date the time the original house burnt down as being November 1912, and the following articles from the Dover Express shows the article published regarding the fire and permission being sought for a new public house to be built.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 7 November, 1912. Price 1d.


On Monday at 1.15 a.m. a fire broke out at the "Newcastle Inn," Ewell Minnis, which resulted in the total destruction of the building and the narrow escape of the inmates. The landlord is Mr. Charles Hawkins and during the night he was seized with cramp in the leg and jumped out of bed, upsetting a table on which a paraffin lamp was standing. The room was at once in a blaze but the landlord and his wife got two of the three children out of the house. A neighbour, who came to the assistance, got the other child, but could not get downstairs, the centre of the house being in a blaze. he was, however, able to hand it out of the window, and then jump out himself. The alarm was given to the Dover Police from the fire-house at Kearsney, and the fire engine despatched in charge of Chief Inspector Lockwood. It arrived on the scene very promptly considering the very difficult approach to the Minnis. The house was then burnt out to a great extent, but the outbuildings attached to the house were still intact. A good supply of water was obtained from a pond and tanks, and the fire extinguished at 5 a.m., the outbuildings were saved but the house destroyed. Both the house and its contents are insured, the former in the Ocean Accident and the latter in the Northern Assurance Co.

The whole of the contents were insured in the Northern Assurance Co,. Ltd., by Albert White, estate and insurance agent, 319, London Road, Dover.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 17 January, 1913. Price 1d.


Mr. Rutley Mowll applied for the approval of plans, submitted by Mr. F. G. Hayward for the rebuilding of the “Newcastle” public house, Ewell Minnis, which was recently burnt down.

The plans were approved.


Dover Express 30 May 1913.


Upon completion of building "Newcastle Inn," Ewell Minnis.

For particulars apply to Mackeson and Co. Ltd., The Brewery, Hythe.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 12 June 1914.



On Saturday afternoon, the Coroner for East Kent (Mr. Rutley Mowll), enquired into the strange case of suicide of an Alkham man, Frank Thomas Keeler, whose body was discovered in a lonely glade in Lord's Wood, on Thursday evening, a piece of rope being round his neck and a broken piece hanging from the bough of the tree above. There seemed to be no reason why he should have committed suicide, and the jury raised the question whether there had been foul play and robbery, but there was no evidence of foul play and nothing to point to robbery, and ultimately a verdict of suicide during temporary insanity was returned.

The foreman of the jury was Mr. Bucktrout. and the inquest was held at Cold Blow Farmstead, a house standing on an elevated peak overlooking the Lydden Valley.

William Henry Keeler, Catherine’s Cottages, Alkham, a farm labourer, said:- The body is that of my brother, Thomas Frank Keeler. He lived with me. He was 59 years of age. He was a wattle maker. I last saw him alive a fortnight ago last Thursday morning, the 21st May. He left home at eight o’clock in the morning, and I understood that he was coming to Cold Blow Farm to do some wattling. He was a single man. He complained of his head being a bit queer at times. He used to go away for a fortnight or three weeks at work, and so I did not think much of it. He did not appear to be depressed then. I could not identify him by his face, but by his clothes and watch. The watch was going when handed to the Coroner, but the Police said that it started going itself when taken off the body.

In reply to Mr. Davis, witness said that his brother was never in any trouble to cause him to take his life.

In reply to the Coroner, witness said that the deceased was in good health.

The Coroner:- It seems a very strange thing for a man in good health to take his life. I suppose you have no doubt from what you have heard that the deceased did so.

Witness:- I suppose he did.

The Coroner:- You cannot account for it at all?


Edward Dawkins, living at Lydden, a labourer, said:- I saw the deceased a week ago last Monday, the 25th of May. He was then coming away from the "Newcastle Inn," Ewell Minnis. He said that he did not feel very grand as he could not eat anything. He came in this direction as if to work. He had his dinner basket on his back.

Mr. J. Aedy, Landlord of the "New Castle Inn," said:- I know the deceased very well. I last saw him in the morning of May 25th. He had a pint of beer. My wife tells me that he called in again on the Tuesday morning between six and seven. He had a pint of beer and took a pint away in a port wine bottle. He was a very quiet man, and did not speak unless some one spoke to him. He did not mention that he did not feel very well, and that he could not eat anything. He only stopped in the house a very few minutes, and was apparently going to work, but I did not know where.

In reply to a juror witness said that the deceased paid for his beer, and generally had money.

Mr. Davies, the juryman, said that he wanted to see if he had any money in order to see if there was a robbery.

The Coroner:- Some money was found on him.

William Marsh, Cold Blow Farm, said:- The deceased last worked for me on Wednesday, May 20th. There was enough work for him to continue another month. I do not know why he did not continue to work that week. When he left he seemed in good spirits. He had had 12/6 due to him, and that had since been paid to his brother. On previous occasions he had stopped away from his work for six or seven days. He was not at work by the day, but was paid according to the number of wattles he made.

Thomas Coshall, living at 4, Blucher Row, Dover, a quay labourer, said:- On Thursday afternoon about 5.15 my son, a man named Bishop, and myself were in Lords Woods in the parish of Temple Ewell, getting a hamper of fern tips. I was on one side of the footpath, and saw the deceased some 20 yards from the path. He was lying on his face. He was fully clothed with his hat on. I went back and told Bishop there was a man asleep in the wood. Bishop and I went back and saw his head was in a state of decomposition and we rushed off for a policemen at Alkham. I came back with P.C. Poole.

By Mr. Friend:- Witness said that there were no signs of a scuffle. He apparently got into the tree, and threw himself off and the rope broke. If it broke after he had been hanging he would have fallen nearer the tree. He was three or four paces away. He did not lie the side where the string was on the tree. There was a piece of string round his neck.

P.C. Poole, K.C.C., stationed at Alkham, said:- At 5.45 on June 4th, the last witness reported that a dead body lay in Lords Wood. I accompanied the man to the spot, and found the deceased at the Ewell end of Lords Wood about 20 yards from the footpath. He was lying on his stomach, and had a piece of rope round his neck. He was quite close to the tree. On the tree there was a piece of similar rope. He had the appearance of being dead several days, in reply to the Coroner, said that the man apparently fell from the tree.

The Coroner asked whether there was any place where the deceased could have jumped off after having made the rope fast round his neck and the tree, and the witness said there was a small stump.

In reply to the jury, the witness said that the bough of the tree was 7 feet high.

The juryman:- How much rope was there?

Witness said that he had, by an oversight, left the piece of rope that was on the tree, at home. It was wound twice round the tree.

The Coroner:- The bough is 7 feet, high, and the man was 5 feet 7 inches, the distance between his neck and the bough was a foot, that would only bring it to 6ft. 7in.

Witness said that the string was tied at the junction of the bough and the tree trunk. The rope was similar to that he would use in his wattle making. It was of fibre, and he compared the two pieces. There was 1 1/2d. in a purse on the deceased and a metal watch and chain. There were two bottles in a flag basket, one containing a quart of tea, and the other a pint of beer. There was no letter found, and no sign of a struggle. He lived next door to him.

In reply to a juryman, witness said that the rope was attached in a way that deceased could have done himself.

P.C. King, K.C.C.. Temple Ewell, said that be got to the spot at 8 o’clock, and he found he got to the spot at 8 o'clock, and he found the deceased on the ground under the tree. There was a small piece of rope attached, to the fork of the tree, although there was about a yard of rope on the tree.

The Coroner said that the point that troubled the jury was whether it was sufficiently short for the man to hang himself from the bough.

Witness:- I should say it was possible for him to stand on one side of the tree and tie it, and then jump off on the other side.

The jury being unable to understand how the deceased could tie the rope round his neck and the tree, and then hang himself in the way described, decided to visit the spot, and accompanied by witness and the Coroner they proceeded to the spot, which is in the midst of the wood, three-quarters of a mile away. The tree, a young oak with forked branches, was on falling ground, and on the top side a man's neck was level with the fork, but on the underside there was a drop of some three feet. The witness explained the position of the rope and the body, and stated that there were no signs of violence on the body.

The Coroner, in summing up, said that having viewed the place they would all agree that there was no reason for thinking it impossible for a man to hang himself at that point.

The jury without any hesitation, returned a verdict of suicide during temporary insanity.


So, that at least dates the house we see today, and so I believe it still a myth that the old house was called just the "Castle."


From the Dover Express, Friday 29 December, 1922.



For a good many years gipsies have assembled at Christmas time in Ewell Minnis. they have come from all over Kent, and last year not only terrorised the women inhabitants but in addition helped themselves to anything that was about. The inhabitants, in order to protect themselves, made arrangements for the police to deal with them this year. The gipsies started to arrive on the Saturday, and quite a large number were encamped on the Minnis just outside the hamlet of Ewell Minnis. On Sunday morning Superintendent Russell, of the Kent County Constabulary, with over a dozen Constables and a large number of Special Constables from temple Ewell appeared on the scene. The gipsies made no difficulty and moved off, and the police forces afterwards dispersed.

The most serious affair happened in the evening. Two families, the Clubbs and the Wilsons, had gathered together in the "Newcastle Inn," and a family quarrel occurred. The landlord, Mr. Milne, at once sent to a house in Wolverton Lane which is connected with the telephone, and Sergeant Stanford and P.C. Holmes at once set out from Alkham to the landlord's assistance. Sergeant Stanford on arriving called on the men to leave, and they all set upon him kicking him and knocking him down. P.C. Holmes went to his help, and after Stanford got to his feet they were getting the men out when someone threw a pint glass with great force at P.C. Holmes. It struck him full in the forehead, knocking him down insensible and causing a nasty wound. After the house had been cleared Holmes was attended to, and after first aid treatment recovered consciousness, but was so much hurt that he had to remain at the inn for the night, being taken home on Christmas Day in a taxi. It is reported that he is now progressing satisfactorily, and that there is no danger unless complications set in. It has not been possible yet to identify the man who threw the glass, but those who created the disturbances will be charged before the magistrates later on.

The assembly of gipsies from time to time at Ewell Minnis seems to be an old custom of these wanderers. It will be remembered that some years ago a large band of Serbian gipsies gathered on the Minis, and caused considerable difficulty before they could be got to move away.

Ewell Minnis, a very isolated spot, is at the western end of the Common, which is of considerable size. There are quite a number of houses forming the hamlet, and, they are in excellent order. The "Newcastle Inn," one of Messrs. Mackeson's houses, has been recently rebuilt, and stands in the middle of the hamlet.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 30 January, 1925. Price 1d.


An inquest was held on Wednesday afternoon, by Mr. Rutley Mowll (East Kent Coroner), at the “Newcastle Inn,” on Leonard Brooks (14), of the “Newcastle Inn,” Ewell Minnis, who died on Sunday morning.

The Jury numbered nine, and Mr. Kirby was chosen foreman.

Charles Edward Brooks, licensee of the “Newcastle Inn,” identified the body as that of his son. The deceased was fourteen years and eight months old, and had left school just before Christmas. On Friday night at 10.30 the deceased complained of toothache, and witness told him to go to bed. Witness saw him in bed at about twelve o'clock on the following day and did not notice anything unusual about him, except that he was very quiet. He said he “felt rotten,” but would not have the doctor. Witness' wife drew his attention to some vomit, which made witness think the lad was suffering from bile. The deceased asked witness for a drink, and he gave him some ginger wine with two teaspoonfuls of Epsom Salts in it. He took the medicine all right. At 6 p.m. he seemed to be much the same, and witness called up Dr. Adamson on a neighbour's telephone. The doctor asked if he thought it was very serious, and witness said he did not. Dr. Adamson advised witness to poultice the boy and to send round for some medicine which he would make up, and said he would call in the morning. Witness visited the boy on three occasions between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m., and there seemed to be no change in his condition. Witness gave the boy another dose of medicine at about 11.30 p.m., and then gave him a glass of milk and water, and made him comfortable. Witness' wife lay down beside the deceased, and turned his head towards her. Witness was sitting by the bedroom fire, reading the paper, and his wife called “Dad, he's going.” The deceased's nose had gone white, and his eyes were staring, but he was still breathing. He passed away just after twelve o'clock. It was the first illness he had had. Witness never noticed any signs of his being delicate. He got tired of a night sometimes, but witness thought this was caused by his habit of reading in bed.

Dr. C. H. Adamson, F.R.C.S., medical practitioner at Kearsney, said that he received a message from his last witness on Saturday night, and mad up the medicine, which was called for. He had an appointment at Deal at eight o'clock, but if the case had been urgent he would not have kept it. The medicine he made up was a simple expectorant. He got a message to say that the boy was dead, and went along to the house immediately, arriving there at about 1.30 a.m. on Sunday. There was nothing then in the deceased's appearance to indicate the cause of his death. Witness was shown some vomit which was of a peculiar green colour. He made a post mortem examination on Tuesday afternoon, and found no evidence of any acute disease, but in the heart he found a congenital defect of the mitral valve. There was congestion of the liver, which was larger than it should have been. The spleen had a developmentary fault, and there was an extra lobe on it. Both the plural sacs and the cardiac sacs contained a small amount of fluid. The spleen and the heart indicated a want of development. The enlargement of the liver and the fluid in the sacs were secondary to the heart condition. In addition, the deceased had a large thymus gland, which should normally disappear when the age of puberty was reached. There were also indication of a recent cold. People who had this thymus gland were liable to sudden death. Their resistance to infection was very much lowered, and if they did catch anything their resistance to the poison was also lowered. He found that the deceased died from status lymphaticus, brought about by the presence of the thymus gland.

The Coroner said that it was apparently one of those things which were impossible to detect.

The Jury returned a verdict of death from natural causes, and expressed their sympathy with their neighbour in his bereavement.


Dover Express 19 February 1926.


THE WEDDING took place Alkham Parish Church on Monday of Miss Gracie Brooks, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. Brooks, of the "New Castle" Inn, Ewell Minnis, Mr. Reginald Hinds. The bride, who was given away by her only brother Mr. C. Brooks, was tastefully dressed in cream satin and shadow lace, with pearl trimming, a veil and wreath of orange blossom. She carried a sheaf of trumpet lilies which was afterwards placed on the grave of her brother Lennie. The bride was attended by her sister and the bridegroom's niece. The bridegroom's brother, Mr. H Hinds, was best man. A reception was held at the "New Castle" Inn. The honeymoon is being spent at Maidstone and London. Mr. and Mrs. R. Hinds were the recipients of many useful presents including a gift of treasury notes from Mr. and Mrs. Munro, the bridegroom's employers.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 20 September, 1929.


An extension was granted  to the "Newcastle Inn," Alkham, for a harvest super on October 5th, Supt. Golding stated that it was a revival of an event which had not taken place for some years.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 20 December, 1929.


"Newcastle Inn," Ewell Minnis, January 4th, to 10.30 p.m. for new Year's Supper.


Dover Express 24 May 1946.


On Monday, May 20th, Herbert G. Putland, the beloved husband of Elizabeth Putland, "The Newcastle" Inn, Ewell Minnis, passed away suddenly.


From the Dover Express, 6 August, 1971.


Newcastle penny push 1971

David Emery, journalist, sends a pile of pennies cascading into a blanket at the "Newcastle" public house. With his is Irene Board, whose sister Lilian, the Olympic athlete, died so tragically of cancer. In the centre is licensee Mr. Percy Board, former Dover Football Club chairman, and Mrs. Board. When the pennies were counted up, the grand total was 90.70, which will be used for cancer research.


From the Dover Express 21 March 1986.

Newcastle Inn penny push

Actor Victor Maddern, who is often called on to play tough-guy roles, chose the hard way to knock down piles of pennies at the "Newcastle" public house, at Ewell Minnis. He did it with his head.

Maddern fellow actor, Owen Berry and Wing Commander Stamford Tuck, the Battle of Britain pilot, shared the task of knocking down nine piles of pennies which when counted, were found to total 95 17s. The total raised during the evening  - it all goes to the British Empire Cancer Campaign - was 131.

From the Dover Express 21 March 1986.

Dover and District Horse Society country ride

DOVER and District Horse Society raised 66 for club funds with an eight-mile ride on Sunday.

The riders set off from the Newcastle Inn at Ewell Minnis on a two-hour trek along local bridleways.

The society holds rides, normally on a more competitive basis, every month. The next is on April 20 1986.

Open to those with or without their own horse, the society has about 170 members, and as well as riding offers social events such as discos.

Anyone interested in joining Dover and District Horse Society - there is no age restriction - should contact Gill Sladden.



As shown above Percy Board used to have penny pushes for various charities at his pub  and used to invite celebrities along to push the pennies over. I have been informed by John Richards that celebrities included Henry Cooper and Jenny Agutter of the Railway Children fame.

During its life the pub was frequented by the local gypsy community.

The pub was unfortunately closed in about 1995 and is now a Canine Beauticians.


Email received on 28 September, 2010

Hi there.

My 4 x great grandfather was William G Keeler. The record of his death on 26th May 1896 lists him as the landlord of the Newcastle inn.

This throws up a couple of questions. Firstly, it definitely refers to it as the Newcastle (one word), yet your page says that it didn't become the New Castle (two words) until after the fire of 1900. My ancestor's death record shows that it was already known as the Newcastle in 1896. I wonder if the fire date you have is correct? (Info now updated.)

Secondly, you have the landlord in 1899 listed as William Keeler. This obviously can't be the one who died in 1896 (!), so either this info is wrong or, more likely, his son William (b. 1840) took it on. If this is the case, then there were two William Keelers who were landlords there.

Hope this helps!


Neil Harrison.


From an email received 12 November 2013.

I have fond memories of living at the pub. I can vividly remember the hunt coming to the pub and my father going outside with trays of sherry. My mother and I watched from the window as she disapproved of fox hunting.

I can also remember playing in the back garden. I remember as you entered the pub there was a large open fire to the left and I can recall Mr. Matcham the farmer sitting there with his dog. The bar was to the right and there was a snooker room at the back. My bedroom was at the front of the house. I remember we had a hatch and sold alcohol and chocolates like an off licence. I also remember the gypsies that used to camp nearby.

One of the saddest days I remember was driving away from the pub in our Humber Supersnipe and our dog running behind the car barking. We had to leave our dog with the new tenants as we could not take dogs with us to our new residence.

I went back for a visit 10 years ago. I asked for directions and was told 'oh you mean the old pub'. I was sad it was closed. I knocked at the door of the private house it is now but no one was in. I had my photo taken outside. It would have made my year to have been able to go inside again but I know the new owners would be cautious to let a complete stranger in!

I am living in Perth Western Australia but hope to visit the UK early next year.

Best wishes.

Wendy Welburn.


From an email received 30 August 2018.

My Great grandfather, John Aedy, was a police constable in the late 1800s, he was also a market gardener, and a poor rates collector & labour master before he worked at the "Chequers Inn," Challock and then the "New Castle" with Sarah until he died there in 1918.

John was quite a lad. Born in New York, married twice or 3 times 17 children that we know about.

He also may have worked at the "Rose & Crown" Stelling Minnis, as many years ago, we camped in a field behind the pub, when I told my grandmother about this, she said her father had worked there, when she was a child.

John died in the pub on 25th May 1918 of Apoplexy age 70 years.

Barbara Patton.




HALKE John James to May/1882 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

DAWKINS George May  1882+ Dover Express

CUSHMAN Henry 1886+ Dover Express

KEELER William G 1891-May/1896 dec'd (age 79 in 1891Census)

KEELER William 1899+ Kelly's 1899 (Son of above)

KEELER Miss Alice to May/1900 Dover Express

HARNETT Mrs Alice May/1900-05+ (nee Keeler) Dover Express

HARNETT John to July/1905 dec'd (widower age 25 in 1901Census)

HARNETT Amy Elizabeth July/1905+

New pub built 1913 after old one burnt down.

HAWKINS Charles Augustus 1911-Sept/1913 (age 40 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1913Dover Express

AEDY John Sept/1913-25/May/18 dec'd Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1914

AEDY J L (widow) July/1918-22 Dover Express

BAILEY Robert 1922+ Post Office Directory 1922

MILNE Mr W S Dec/1922-Sept/23 Dover Express (Ex Metropolitan Constable and Steward of the Canterbury Conservative Club)

BROOKS Charles E Sept/1923-Apr/26 Dover Express

SWAIN Joseph Apr/1926+ Dover Express

PUTLAND Herbert George 1930-20/May/1946 dec'd (age 61 in 1939) Post Office Directory 1930Kelly's 1934Post Office Directory 1938

PUTLAND Mrs Elizabeth E (widow) July/1946+ Dover Express

BRITTAIN Edgar & Elsie 1961-64+

BOARD Percy A J 1971-74+ Library archives 1974 Fremlins


Kelly's 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1914From the Post Office Directory 1914

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Kelly's 1934From the Kelly's Directory 1934

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-