Sort file:- Deal, December, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 15 December, 2021.


Earliest 1867

Norfolk Arms

Latest 1889

Cemetery Road/Western Road

Middle Deal


Also referred to as the "Duke of Norfolk" but I am suggesting that they are one and the same. I'm not certain which of the two names was the one that appeared on the sign.

Originally called the "Jolly Sailor" and can be traced back to as early as 1750.

Location is in North Ward on seaward side of railway line and in the area of the northern end of West Street. This showed up on Kent Sheet 58.04 (LVIII.4) being a reprint of ‘First Edition 1873' Old Ordnance Survey Maps published by Alan Godfrey Maps.

The Deal Licensing Register of 12 September 1867 stated that this alehouse was formerly the "Jolly Sailor." I believed it changed name on 1 September 1867 after the cholera outbreak caused several deaths to occur at the pub.

Again the Deal Licensing Register of 5 September 1889 said it changed name to the "Jolly Sailor" again. Unfortunately the building was demolished in 1969.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 20 February, 1869. 1d.


Thomas Bailey, waterman ( who appeared with one arm in a sling) and Ambrose Barton, chair-bottom mender, were charged with assaulting Police-constable Pain and Romney, and Bailey also with attempting to rescue the other prisoner from custody.

P.C. Romney said: I was on duty on Tuesday afternoon about four o'clock, at the Guildhall, when a boy came to me and told me Mr. Marsh wanted me at the "Norfolk Arms." I went there, and saw the prisoners Bailey and Barton. Mr. Marsh was also there, and he told me he had been assaulted by Barton and wished me to take him into custody. I did so, and Bailey then began to abuse me and wanted to know why we had taken Barton into custody. I told him it was for assaulting Mr. Marsh, and he then said "I'm ____ if he shall go with you," and came and laid hold of the prisoner. I put him back and he then threatened to kick me. He said he would kick me in the private parts. He did kick me two or three times on the leg, and he would have done so at my private parts if I had not prevented him. He laid hold of the prisoner Barton and in getting him away his coat was torn. We then took both prisoners into custody and brought them to the lock up.

By the Mayor: The prisoners were not sober at the time.

Mr. Simon Marsh was then sworn. He said: Mrs Harvey called me into her house .She said, "Mr. Marsh, Mr. Marsh, come in." I went in and I then saw that the prisoner Barton had got hold of a quartern or half-quartern measure to throw at the landlady. I then sent for the police. Before the police came Barton took hold of my spectacles and threw them down, and then took hold of my coat and wanted me to take it off.

By the Mayor: The spectacles were not broken. It was a good job for me they were not - they cost me 2.

Examination resumed: He tore my coat. Three of the police then came and I gave Barton into custody. I did not see the prisoner Bailey assault the constables.

Barton: What business had you to turn me out of the beer-shop?

Witness: I did not do so.

Barton: Yes you did.

Witness: i never touched you at all. (To the Mayor): I told him to keep away from me or I would hit him with my stick. They were both drunk.

Mrs. Sarah Harvey, landlady of the "Norfolk Arms," deposed: Both the prisoners came into my house about three o'clock on Tuesday afternoon last. They were not quite sober, but I believe they knew what they were about. They asked me for half-a-quartern of gin, which I served them with. They then called for two cigars, which I also served them with. Barton took up one and broke it in halves and they wanted me to exchange it for another. I declined to do so, however, and he then took up the pewter measure, as I supposed to throw it at me; he raised it in that manner. I called out to Mr. Marsh who had just entered the house, to come to my assistance. The prisoners took up a glass from the table, and said they would keep it until I gave them another cigar. I said they could do so if they liked, but I should send for the police. They had paid me for the gin and also for the cigars. The cigar was not broken when I gave it them. When Mr. Marsh came he told Barton to walk away, to which Barton replied that he should go when he liked. I saw him try to push Mr. Marsh out of the doorway. Mr. Marsh did not attempt to turn him out. Both prisoners threatened to come round into the bar and help themselves if I did not bring them another cigar. We are frequently served these kind of tricks by the class to which the prisoners belong. They come in sometimes and call for beer, and when they have been served, pour or drink a little out of the jug and then complain that it is not full measure. I saw the prisoner Bailey kick P.C. Romney and one of the other constables several times, but I did not hear him say anything about kicking him in certain parts.

In defence Barton said: When she (the landlady) put the cigars down one was broken, and I wanted her to bring me a fresh one for it. It was broken about an inch or so from the top and could not be smoked. That was the beginning of the whole of the row. I do not recollect taking up the measure and threatening to throw it at the landlady.

Bailey also said he had no knowledge of the matter. He did not know that he had kicked the policeman.

After a brief consultation, the Mayor said the prisoners had heard the whole of the circumstances related in the evidence and they offered no defence except that they were drunk. That was a very sorry defence, and one which they knew did not excuse them for a breach of the law. They must each pay a fine of 20s., part of which would go towards the prosecution, or in default undergo an imprisonment of 14 days with hard labour.

Bailey: Thank you. I have only got the use of one arm and therefore can't do very hard work. I have got no money and can't work for any.

The Mayor: If I am credibly informed the accident to your arm was partly owing to your own fault, and was sustained by you in a drunken spree. I should though that of itself would have been sufficient to deter you from a repetition of such conduct.

Barton at once handed over the amount of his fine, and we believe, notwithstanding Bailey's impudent remark to his Worship, he also subsequently paid the money.

(Click for further Bailey convictions)


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 16 October, 1869. 1d.


On Saturday morning last as accident occurred to a man named Comber, a porter in the employ of Mr. A. F. S. Bird, wine and spirit merchant, King's Street, whilst returning to Deal from Ringwould in a van. When just this side of the latter place the horse bolted and ran into the bank, and the driver was thrown violently out of the fore part of the van, his head coming in contact with the ground. There were also in the cart a child of Mr. Bird's and Mr. R. Harvey, landlord of the "Norfolk Arms," but fortunately neither of these were hurt beyond a blow on the knee of the latter. Comber was picked up in an insensible state, and remained so till late the same evening. He is now progressing towards recovery, but still is very weak.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 11 December, 1869. 1d.


Upon the application of Mr. M. Langley, the license of the "Norfolk Arms," public-house, was endorsed from Mr. Robert Harvey to Mr. George Weaver, formerly of Ashford.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 8 May, 1872.


Thomas Green was charged with creating a disturbance at the "Norfolk Arms," on Saturday morning last, and also with threatening the life of his brother-in-law, Thomas Bremen.

Supt. Parker deposed: On Saturday morning last, about half-past nine o'clock, I was called to the "Norfolk Arms" by a man named Thomas Bremen and the prisoner's sister to protect them against the prisoner, who was threatening their lives. I went in company with P.C. Carvey. I found the prisoner in the tap-room. He was then quiet. I remonstrated with him, and he said he would go with me, but he directly struck at his sister and attempted to kick her, but kicked another woman by mistake. I then took him into custody, and as we were coming through the passage to get into the road he went down on his knees and vowed that he would kill Thomas Bremen. He was then conveyed to the station-house, and brought before the Magistrates the same morning, when the case was adjourned upon his promising to leave the town forthwith. And accordingly he was seen out of the parish by P.C. Carvey.

Prisoner said that he fell in with a man on the road who promised to take him to Dover, and that when they arrived there as they had no money to pay for a bed he sold a pocket-knife and also gave the man his neckerchief to pawn. The man took it away for that purpose, but never returned, and he (prisoner) wandered about a clover field all night, and afterwards fell in with another soldier and went with him to endeavour to enlist in the Marines. He was told at the Barracks that he would have to come to Deal to get in that corps, and he accordingly came back to Walmer. The sergeant-major refused to take him in on Sunday, and he then came to his brother's and told him that he was wet and miserable, and his brother gave him some food and sheltered him for the night. The next morning he again went to the Walmer Barracks, but he could not be admitted into the Marines as he was not tall enough, and the Colonel recommended him to go to Dover and enlist in the Rifles. He was going to do so, but his brother asked him to have some tea before he started, and whilst he was at his brother's house having his tea the constable apprehended him. Prisoner then beseeched the Bench to let him off this once, and expressed the utmost sorrow for what he had done. His brother, he said, would "give him gold to eat," and so would he him, and what had happened on Saturday was through passion, which was "a very hard thing." So importunate was the prisoner in his pleadings that he fell upon his knees and literally moaned for mercy, and his supplications were also backed up by the tears and cries of his sister. The man Brenan also interceded on his behalf, and promised to pay the prisoner's fare to London, and see him away by the next train, if the Magistrates would let him off.

The Magistrates, however, said they had given the prisoner a very good chance on Saturday, and they could not again take his word. He would be sentenced to seven days' hard labour in Sandwich Gaol.

Up to the very last moment prisoner professed the utmost contrition, but the instant he heard the sentence he replied, in a very bold and impudent tone, "Thank you, gentlemen; I can do that;" and left the dock in a jaunty, defiant manner.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 27 July, 1872. 1d.


Thomas Hammond, a hawker, belonging to Dover, was charged with being drunk and incapable.

Supt. Parker said: Last night about nine o'clock I had information that the prisoner was drunk and quarrelling at the "Norfolk Arms," and that he had a horse and cart with him. I sent two constables to see after the prisoner, and they brought him to the station-house, and one of them led the horse. Prisoner was very drunk and quite incapable of taking care of himself or the horse and cart. I therefore locked him up.

The Supt. added that he had seen the prisoner in the afternoon, and, observing that he was beery, he advised him to get home to Dover, and he did go as far as Walmer, but returned again. When he was brought to the station-house, too, he was advised to get some one to drive him home, and at first agreed to give a man 5s. to do so, but afterwards changed his mind, and he (the Supt.) was, therefore obliged to lock him up.

Prisoner pleaded guilty, and said he had come to Deal for a load of peas, and meeting with a friend or two he got a little too much drunk.

Fined 10s., including costs.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 1 February, 1873.


Edward Austen, landlord of the "Norfolk Arms," West Street, was summonsed for selling beer without a license, and also exhibiting a sign purporting to be licensed to sell tobacco, without having a license.

Defendant was not in attendance, and Mr. Drake, the Supervisor of Inland Revenue for this district, who appeared to prosecute, asked to have the case decided in his absence. A note was afterwards handed in from defendant explaining that he was unable to attend through illness.

Stephen John Hudson deposed: I am an assistant of Excise, stationed at Charing. On the 2nd of December last I went to the "Norfolk Arms," in West Street, Deal, kept by Edward Austen. I asked for some beer, and was served with two separate half pints. I was served by a female, apparently residing in the house. I paid he 1d. for the first half-pint, and a 1d. for the second. I went into the tap-room to drink it, and the landlord came in and sat down. I did not see him till after I had drank the first half-pint. I left the room for a second, and he saw me go and bring it into the room.

John Pledge said: I am officer of Inland Revenue, stationed at Deal. On the 25th of November last I called on Edward Austen to renew his licenses, which he had omitted to do on the 25th of October last, the day appointed by the Collector to give out the licenses. I called on him several times afterwards, but he made various excuses for non-payment. The amount of the licenses altogether would be 10 3s. 8d. On the 25th of October, I told the defendant that I must report him for having his name on the signboard over the door, and the words "licensed retailer of beer, spirits, and tobacco," when he had no license to show. I called again on the 2nd of December, and demanded the production of the licenses, but he did not produce them and he acknowledged he had not got them. I told him I must report it. I did so, and in consequence of that the last witness was sent to the house to obtain proof of sale.

The Clerk said the penalty in one offence was 20, and in the other 50, but the Magistrates had power to mitigate them to one-fourth.

The Magistrates then made an order for the minimum penalty for each offence, amounting in all to 17 10s., and, on account of the affliction of the defendant, advised a further mitigation, which Mr. Drake, the Supervisor, promised to forward to the Board.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 26 July, 1873.


Mr. M. Langley applied on behalf of Messrs. Hills and Son, brewers, for a Magistrate's warrant for ejectment to be served upon Mr. Austen, at the "Norfolk Arms." Formal evidence having been given, the application was granted.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 4 October, 1873.


Mr. M. Langley, as agent for Messrs. Hills and Son, brewers, applied for new licenses to be granted in his name for the "Norfolk Arms," public-house, West Street, and the "Friendly Port," New Street, the landlords in each case having omitted to apply for a renewal of their licenses. Some necessary formal evidence having been given, the applications were granted.


From the Deal Mercury 23 December 1876.

Margaret Higgins was then charged with being drunk at the "Duke of Norfolk" public house. Prisoner, who appeared in Court with a little child in her arms, said she had buried a child on Sunday at Canterbury. She had taken two or three drops of drink, which overcame her. She was ordered to leave the town immediately.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 15 September 1883.


On the 1st. Sept., at the "Norfolk Arms," Deal, Elizabeth Osborne, aged 26.



HARVEY Robert to Dec/1869 Deal Mercury

WEAVER Mr G Dec/1869-July/71 Deal Mercury

FORESTER Mr W July/1871+ Deal Mercury

LANGLEY Mr M Next pub licensee had Oct/1873-Jan/75 Deal Mercury

Last pub licensee had HARRIS Patrick Jan/1875-82+ (age 37 in 1881Census) Kelly's 1878Post Office Directory 1882


Kelly's 1878From the Kelly's Directory 1878

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Deal MercuryFrom the Deal Walmer & Sandwich Mercury


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-