Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.



Notes of 1923


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 19 January, 1923. Price 1d.


The music, singing and dancing licence of the Buckland Picture House was transferred from Mr. John Mills, secretary, to Mr. Stanley Carlton, manager.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 2 February, 1923. Price 1d.


The monthly meeting of the Wingham Petty Sessions was held at the Court House, Wingham, on Thursday before Mr. H. Fitzwalter Plumptre (in the chair), Lord Hawarden, Admiral Sir Reginald Henderson, Messrs. A. H. Godfrey, C. J. Burgess, G. F. Raggett, C. Chandler, H. J. May, W. Fagg and A. J. Matthew.


Superintendent Barton reported in his annual report for the Wingham Division that none of the 75 licenses had been proceeded against, and there was no case of drunkenness.

Supt. Russell, Alkham Division, stated that there were 16 houses and none of the licenses had been proceeded against, not had there been any convictions for drunkenness.

Supt. Ford, House Division, reported that for the seventh year in succession there had been no cases of drunkenness. There were 26 licenses.

The Chairman said that he was glad to be able to express the satisfaction of the Bench on the nature of the report, and stated that all the licenses would be renewed.

Mr. Hardman, on behalf of the licensed victuallers in Ash and Eastry, (Deal and Walmer District Licensed Victuallers) applied for modifications of the hours of opening to 10 to 2 on the weekday mornings and 12 to 2 on Sundays, making the opening and closing now half an hour earlier. He pointed out that in the country districts the general hours of getting about were much earlier than in the towns.

The Magistrates' Clerk said that notification of the proposed change should have been advertised.

The Bench heard the opinions of Mr. Allen, of the “Bull Inn,” Eastry and Mr. Thorne, of the “Five Bells,” Eastry, who said that after two o'clock they had very few customers in the house.

The Chairman said that the Bench had decided to refuse the application.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 9 February, 1923. Price 1d.


The annual licensing meeting of the Borough and Liberties of Dover was held at the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Sir William Crundall (in the chair), Alderman W, Bradley, Alderman J. W. Bussey, Alderman C. J. Sellers, Dr. W. J. D. Best, Dr. C. Wood, Messrs. W. B. Brett, T. Francis, S. Lewis, W. D. Atkins, A. Clark, T. A. Terson, C. E. Beaufoy, W. Bromley, and W. J. Barnes.


The report of the Chief Constable stated:- “ The whole of the houses have been conducted without serious complaint, and there have been no prosecutions during the year. 481 visits were made to licensed premises by the Police during the year. 75 special orders of exemption under Section 57 of the Licensing Act, 1910, have been granted to licensed premises (including seven clubs) during the year, and 17 occasional licenses have also been granted by the Justices. 33 fully licensed premises and two beer houses have changed hands during the year. The renewal of the licence of the “Endeavour” public house, Bulwark Street, was not applied for at the last Annual Licensing Sessions. There are in this Borough:- Fully licensed houses, 142; “on” and “off” beer houses, 5; “off” beer houses, 10; shops, 11; confectioners, 3; total 171. Drunkenness:- 1920, males 18, females 3, total 21; 1921, males 14, females 6, total 20; 1922, males 20, females 6, total 26. Of those proceeded against for drunkenness 14 were residents, 6 non-residents, and 6 soldiers. Population, Census 1921, 39,985. Population to each licensed house, 235.85 (A deduction of licensed houses closed brings the number of licensed premises down to 162, which makes the average population to each licensed house, 246.82.) Drunkenness per 1,000 population , 0.65. The “Two Brewers” public house, Limekiln Street, has been closed since the 31st of March last, and I have reason to believe that the renewal of this licence will not be applied for. No houses have been sent from this Borough for compensation since 1916, and if the Magistrates decide to send any this year I respectfully suggest that the following be sent – The “Marquis of Waterford,” Union Row, rateable value, gross 30, net 24; The “Providence,” Trevanion Street, rateable value, gross 32, net 26.

The Chairman: I consider that a very satisfactory report.

The existing licenses were renewed with the exception of the “Marquis of Waterford” and the “Providence.”


Mr. Taylor for the Corporation, applied for an extension of the music, singing and dancing licence for Sundays. The present hours were from 3 to 5 p.m., and he asked that the hours should be extended from 2 to 10 p.m., in order that military bands could play then.

The Chairman: That is granted.


Mr. Frazer, solicitor to the South Eastern and Chatham Railway Company, applied for a certificate fixing the rate to be charged for the Harbour and the Marine Stations refreshment rooms at one third of the full rate.

The Chairman: The Harbour Station licence is not carried on.

Mr. Frazer: It is still there.

The Chairman: You might ask your Board to help us with a refreshment room at the Police Station.

Mr. Frazer: I may say that, in response to an application, it is under consideration.

Mr. R. Mowll made similar applications in respect of the “Lord Warden Hotel,” Messrs. Igglesden and Graves, Mr. Mangillis, the Admiralty Pier and the Prince of Wales Pier refreshment bars.

All the applications were granted.


Mr. Thorn Drury appeared on behalf of the licensed victuallers in Broadstairs, Birchington and Westgate in regard to the fixing of the permitted hours of opening. He appeared in the place of Mr. Shea, who had been called away in connection with a serious and very sad family bereavement. His application was for an extra half hour after ten p.m. A precisely similar application was made last year, and granted subject to revision in October. The Police did not oppose the extension, and he asked the Bench to grant the order as last year, and not to stultify the decision they came to then. He had two licensees from Broadstairs, if the bench would like to hear them.

The Chairman: I do not think we require to, hear your witnesses. In case anyone would like to say anything here is the opportunity.

Lieut Groves, R.N., said that he had been asked by the Dover Temperance Council to speak relative to child life generally in regard to retaining the extra half hour. He supposed that representing 3,000 children – the only organised child expression – his words ought to have a certain amount of weight. He would like to bring certain facts before the Bench. It was pretty patent that their friends, the brewing industry, were there to represent themselves and the sale of their commodity, and thereby to increase their money. As representing the organised children, in regard to that particular question he was not there to get any money out of it, but for the good of the community.

The Chairman: I suppose you get some salary, do you not? (Laughter).

Lieut Groves said that he was only a poor man, although he would like to serve the nation for nothing.

Mr. Brett said that he was rather in the dark. He did not know the gentlemen who was speaking. Might he be told?

Lieut. Groves: I shall be delighted to do so. I am Lieut. Groves, R.N. I come here as a Dover citizen, requested by the Dover Temperance Council to represent them.

The Chairman: We shall be very glad if you cut it as short as you can. I have an appointment.

Lieut. Groves: I have to get back to work, too. He then went on to quote statistics from various reports, and said that on one particular night, 121 public houses were visited in London between 9.30 and 11 p.m., and 239 perambulators were seen outside (cries of “Oh! Oh!” from the back of the Court, and “Silence!”) At Blackheath 900 teachers petitioned the Magistrates to close the house at 10 o'clock.

The Chairman: What has Blackheath to do with us? (“hear, hear, sir,” from the back of the Court.)

Lieut. Groves: A great deal, sir. They pointed out the decreasing effect of those late hours on children, and what applied there applies here. Having given further instances from London, he quoted from the “Daily Express” a list of the profits being made by the brewers. Yet, he said, the licensees came there for more money. He thought they were mighty greedy, and he asked the Bench to consider the welfare of the children before the “bloated dividends of the Trade.”

Mr. Brett said he did not give way to the speaker in respect to looking after the children of Dover, and he did not think the word “only” should have been used. He might represent a certain portion, but there were other gentlemen who had the welfare of the children at heart (hear, hear).

Lieut. Groves said that he had been misunderstood. He meant the only organised body of children in reference to the drink Trade.

The Rev. Walter Holyoak said that the Dover Moral Welfare Association had asked him to say that they were heartily in support of the proposal that the hour of closing in the evening should continue at the present ten o'clock. Further, he represented the Dover Free Church Council, and had also been asked to place before the Justices a memorial signed by clergymen, ministers, and others in the Broadstairs and St. Peter's district, asking that there should be no extension of hours. They understood the Act of 1921 fixed the closing hour at 10 p.m., unless there were special circumstances in particular areas where extension was considered to be in the public interest. They contended that there were no special circumstances, and the public would be best served by keeping it as at present (hear, hear). Statistics went to show that it was best served by the hour of closing in the evening being brought down as low as possible, and he asked on behalf of those he represented, that they would continue the present arrangements and close at ten o'clock (hear, hear, and stamping of feet in the gallery).

Canon Elnor said he represented nobody but himself, but he wanted to say, in case any members of the Bench had not already made up their minds, that if he could influence them he would ask them to vote against any extension of hours. A great number of them were so convinced that the restriction upon the hours of opening during the war was beneficial to all concerned that they very much hoped that no further extension would now be made.

Mr. Mowll said that he represented thee licensed victuallers of Dover, who were part of the same jurisdiction as the Liberties, and whatever order was made must apply both to Dover and the Liberties. His friend, Mr. Thorn Drury, had dealt with the matter in regard to the Liberties, and all he wanted to say was that the statistics which were more of a guide than a census of perambulators was the condition of things in one town. The Chief Constable's report stated that the public houses had been conducted without serious complaint, and no prosecutions had taken place, which, he thought was a record. For half a year this very order which was going to have such an effect on the moral welfare of everyone was in force. The number of cases of drunkenness amongst residence was only 11, which spoke for itself.

The Bench retired at this point, there being no other representations.

The Chairman, on return, said that the Magistrates had come to the conclusion that they would grant the extra half-hour for the rest of the year, subject to review on October 5th next (applause from the gallery, which was subdued by the Police with cries of “Silence!”).

It was decided that the change should take effect on Monday next.


Mr. R. Mowll appeared for the licensees of the two public houses recommended by the Chief Constable in his report.

Chief Constable Green said that the “Marquis of Waterford,” Union Road, was fully licensed, and the present tenant was Mr. John William Marsh, it bring transferred to him on January 12th. There had been three changes in three years. There were 8 houses within 140yds. He considered the house redundant. It was practically a new house, but previously the “Greyhound” and the “Marquis of Anglesey” had been recommended by the Police, but were not sent forward.

Chief Inspector Mount said that he visited the house, with Detective Sergt. Greenland, on several occasions on January 19th at 7 p.m., January 22nd at 12.20 p.m. January 27th at 11.30 a.m., January 30th at 10.40 a.m., and February 3rd at 1.05 p.m., when there were no customers. On January 25th at 5.25 p.m. there were three customers, and on February 2nd at 9.05 p.m. there were six customers making nine customers for seven visits.

In the case of the “Providence,” Trevanion Street, the Chief Constable said that it was a fully licensed house, and the present tenant (Mr. Harry Links) had been there since December 6th, 1912. There had been four changes in fifteen years. In the neighbourhood there were the “Star and Garter,” Trevanion Street (36yds.), the “Mail Packet,” Woolcomber Street (106yds.), and the “White Horse,” St. James's Street (160yds). The latter two houses belonged to the same owners, Messrs. George Beer, Rigden and Co.

Do you not think it is hard on a man who has been spending his own money on the house to refer his house?

I suppose he will get compensation if he is a good tenant, and the brewers will find him another house. I know he has been suffering from ill health.

Chief Inspector Mount said that the results of his visits, with Detective Sergt. Greenland, were:- January 19th, at 7.15 p.m., two customers; January 22nd at 12.30 p.m., two customers; January 25th at 8.40 p.m., seven customers; January 27th at 11.05 a.m., no customers; January 30th at 11.20 a.m., no customers; February 2nd at 8 p.m., eight customers; and February 3rd at 1.30 p.m., four customers.

Detective Sergt. Greenland corroborated.

Mr. Mowll addressed the Bench, and said that the real principle of redundancy was to take the public house least required. The “Marquis of Waterford” was a good house recently rebuilt; and in regard to the other, Mr. Links' customers wanted the Bench to know their views on the matter. Fifty-five had signed a petition, which he handed in. Mr. Links had been there ten years, and during that time had spent money on the house himself. Compensation had been referred to, but that was quite small, even when dealing with generous brewers, as in this case. With regard to the visits, he thought it would have been possible to have made these at times that would show a very different return.

The Chairman said that the Magistrates had decided that both houses should be referred to Canterbury.

The meeting was adjourned to the Pierremont Hall, Broadstairs, on February 21st, at 3 p.m., for renewing licenses, and to the Town Hall, Dover, on March 5th, at 11 a.m., for the purpose of hearing applications for new licenses.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 16 February, 1923. Price 1d.


Supt. Barton, Wingham Division, and Supt. Russell, Elham Division, presented reports on the conduct of the licensed houses, which had previously been read at Wingham.

The Chairman said that the reports were very satisfactory, and the Bench had decided to renew all of the licences.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 April, 1923. Price 1d.


At the quarterly licensing sitting at the Dover Police Court on Friday, before the Mayor (Alderman W. G. Lewis) (in the chair), Alderman J. W. Bussey, Alderman W. Bradley, Mr. Martyn Mowll, Dr. W. J. D. Best, Dr. C. Wood, Messrs T. Francis, W. B. Brett, and W. J. Barnes.

The refreshment rooms, Dover Marine Station were transferred from Mr. Charles Davis to Mr. Archibald Maconouchy, General Manager of the Frederick Hotels Company.

The “Brown Jug,” Dumpton Park, was transferred from Mr. George A. H. Watts to Mr. Albert Gaffee.

Mr. A. Beercroft, on behalf of the Southern Railway Co., applied for a variation of the general order of exemption granted to the Dover Marine Station refreshment rooms. He said that the hours at present were from 3.30 to 6 a.m., but these were now practically useless for the purpose, as there was no night traffic, and they were in the position of having a refreshment room which was practically useless for the Continental traffic. Three boats out of five now arriving at Dover did not come within the permitted hours, and he asked that order of exemption should be altered, giving up the early morning hours and substituting 7.30-9, 2.30-3.30, and 5-6 to cover the arrival of these boats.

Mr. Brett asked if passengers could not obtain refreshment on the boats?

Mr. Beercroft: Yes; but I am instructed that some of them do not feel they want it until they get ashore (laughter.)

Mr. Brett suggested that as the Marine Station was used not only for Continental but local traffic, they should insist on travelling “coupons” being provided.

The Bench granted the variation, permitting opening from the time of the arrival of the boat to the departure of the trains, and that customers should produce their coupons before being served.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 12 October, 1923. Price 1d.


The quarterly licensing meeting was held at the Dover Police Court on Friday last week before the Mayor (Alderman Lewis W. G. Lewis), Sir William Crundall, Alderman Chitty, Bradley and Bussey; Dr. Best and Dr. Wood; Messrs. S. Lewis, W. B. Brett, A. Clark, T. A. Terson, W. J. Barnes, W. J. Palmer, C. E. Beaufoy and T. Francis.

The first business was the fixing of the hour for closing licensed premises at night, the Justices in fixing the hour at 10.30 at the Brewster Sessions, decided that it should be reviewed in Court.

There was a large attendance of the public, including licensed victuallers and temperance advocates.

The Rev. Walter Holyoak, who represented the Dover Free Church Council, said that for some reason he regretted being present. He had some apprehension that they might be bored and some apprehension that he might seem unfriendly to the gentlemen connected with the liquor trade, at the hands of some whom he had received very courteous treatment. He was not appearing with any feelings of enmity or hostility to brewers or publicans as men or neighbours. The Act of 1921 fixed the closing hour at 10 p.m. unless there were special circumstances in a particular district which, in the public interest, warranted a later time. He wished particularly to emphasise “in the public interest.” It would be within the recollection of the Magistrates that in October, 1922, they decided that the closing hour should be at 10 p.m., but in May they decided that 10.30 was better “in the public interest.” Amongst the arguments urged was the desire for uniformity in the closing hour in the Isle of Thanet, Margate's closing hour being 10.30; but he would like to mention that at Ramsgate the hour was 10 o'clock. Summer time was also urged, but that was no longer relevant for the next six months. They had also a plea on behalf of the belated motorist, but he submitted that, in view of the many accidents happening in recent months, it was up to them to see that those who drove motors were as temperate as was consistent with public safety. There was the argument of the men returning from work on late shift, but surely it was better for such men to go straight home to the meal prepared for them than to delay their return. Then they were told of those coming from the pictures who must secure some refreshment. They heard much in these days about racial degeneration, but he refused to believe that we Britishers had become such feeble folk that in order to reach home people must turn in for some refreshment, especially when supper was waiting at home. They were also told of the publican who was suffering from bad times, but they were not the only class so suffering; and amongst their patrons there might be those who were suffering still more, and in whose interest it was desirable that they should go home without expending more money. They were told that the figure for drunkenness worked out at 0.65 per thousand, but in this was included children; and for every man arrested there were probably twelve others who, in spite of the vigilance of the Police, escape arrest. However low the figure could be brought for any area, to have in its midst a number of drunken persons was a shame. He suggested that the extra half hour was the dangerous period and men who had been drinking long, in between conversation, of course, and perhaps a game of darts, were likely to drink more than was in their own interest or that of their homes. He appealed for the question to be settled not in the interest of one particular section, but in the public interest; and he hoped that the Magistrates would decide on 10 o'clock instead of 10.30.

The Mayor: Do you suggest that in that half hour there had been an increase of drunkenness?

The Rev. W. Holyoak: I cannot suggest it as I have no figures, but it would be in line with what has occurred elsewhere.

The mayor; I do not think so in Dover. It was only on Tuesday I was congratulating the Police on the absence of crime, considering the influx of visitors – more than we ever have had.

The Rev. W. Holyoak said that it was not for him to argue, but he submitted that there had been throughout the country a general decline in drunkenness, but great but a gratifying one, but surely there must be more drink consumed if the hours were longer, or why would the publicans desire that their houses be kept open?

The mayor said that he did not wish to argue, but there was the argument about men going home to their supper. Many men after getting home from work went out for half an hour's diversion.

The Rev. W. Holyoak said he thanked the bench for their courteous hearing, and if it was not irrelevant, he would like to congratulate the Mayor on his improved health.

Mr. Hyne said he represented the local branch of the Fellowship of Freedom and Reform, which had 203 members, so that he could be said to speak for at least a sample of the public generally. Legislature had decided that the matter of the extra half an hour was a matter to be decided in reference to the convenience of those who used public houses. The gentleman who had just spoken said that in that half hour the danger lay, but nearly everyone who came before the Magistrates seeking restrictions of the facilities were those who did not use these things, but to allow such principles to apply in our ordinary social life he thought was most undesirable. For instance, he himself did not go to places of entertainment. Was he to be the judge of whether they should close at a certain hour? In regard to the men on night shift who had been referred to, they knew that the food that awaited them, especially in the poorer families, was not always what they desired; and he asked the Bench to remember that these victualling houses were intended to be where people could get something in the way of food. He thought that the only matter that the Bench had to consider was whether the convenience had been abused, and the Police records showed it had not. He referred to the fact that many Buffalo lodges met on licensed premises and could not get through their business by ten, whilst he did not suggest that they could not continue after the permitted hour, yet he submitted it would be as well for administrative purposes that the hours in which the lodges met and the closing hour should co-inside as far as possible.

Mr. R. Mowll, on behalf of the Licensed Victuallers, raised the legal point, of which he had given notice to the Magistrates' Clerk, whether they had any right to consider the matter at transfer sessions. The order was made at the general annual licensing meeting, and under the rules laid down it appeared to be very doubtful if that order could be altered at a transfer sessions. He had nothing else to say except to ask if any disadvantage had been caused to the public by the extra half hour. That it had been wanted had been shown by the fact that the houses had been used. If the Bench felt that they were enabled to deal with the matter that day, he asked that it should be to give a decision that the licensed victuallers, having conducted their houses so satisfactorily until 10.30, should be allowed to continue to cater for the public till the same hour.

The Magistrates retired, and on returning (some did not take their seats again) the Mayor said: “The Bench have seriously considered the matter and there is no alteration.”


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 2 November, 1923. Price 1d.


"Off" beer house, Womanswold, was transferred from Thomas Hawkins to Reginald Thomas Hawkins.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 16 November, 1923. Price 1d.


Extensions were granted to the ex-Service men's Club, St. Margaret's, for a dinner and smoking concert on Wednesday, December 19th.