189 Middle Street
& 126 Middle Street
Photos by Paul Skelton
above and left 13 April 2008.
Sign right, November 1991. Thanks from Brian Curtis
An old view of the "Prince Albert, dated from about 1890.
From the Deal, Walmer and District Telegram, 2 April, 1864.
Freehold of "Prince Albert," Alfred Square and Middle Street, now
occupied by W. Riley - sold for £200.
Paul Wells kindly sent me this photograph with no other information than
the date of the outing 3 August, 1914. I am going to assume it is from
this public house in Deal, the plaque in the centre and the beer hatch
seem to match. Also the gentle slope of the hill.
Above pictures showing front and back of business cards 2008.
The Prince Albert pub in Alfred Square - by Dave Hatton 2009.
An outlet for Fremlins in 1974.
An email from Toby Philpott, Peter's son, says he was born whilst his
parents ran the pub and was the first child to be born to a landlord and
lady at that house for a very long time.
From the Dover Mercury, Thursday 18 March, 2010.
BEER HOUSE AT A BUSTLING TURNING POINT FOR COACHES
By Steve Glover and Michael Rogers."
A PRIME example of an original humble beer house in Deal comes under
the spotlight in this week's Now and Then.
The "Prince Albert" pub in Middle Street, Deal, is a fine instance
although the building has been added to at various stages through a
number of years.
Its deeds date back to 1717 and its garden land once stretched all the
way down to Lower Street (now the High Street) before the buildings in
Alfred Square were erected.
William Riley added 'beer retailer' to his occupation as 'marine store
dealer' in 1855 when he ran a busy house in what would then have been a
run-down and disreputable part of town. It was on the
corner of Alfred Square which, in those days, was a bustling turning
point for horse-drawn coaches, as well as being full of shops.
The aptly-named brewer George Beer supplied the house from 1864 when it
became known as the "Prince Albert" and gained a full licence. Riley
served until the late 1880s when magistrates referred to him as "a
lunatic" and adjourned the relicensing session.
Mr and Mrs Baker were
later installed and served throughout the 1890s. George 'Cash' Erridge
had a long stay from 1907 until 1940.
Tony and Chrissie Hopkin ran the pub from the 1980s until 2002 when
current owners Michael Harlick and Colin
Vurley took over. According to them (and to previous landlords) an
occasional poltergeist makes its presence known, especially when old
photos are moved or renovations are carried out to the building!
The modern pub has one bar and a restaurant, although it originally
comprised three smaller separate bars.
The "Prince Albert" is the cornerstone of the local community and is a
HAYWARD Thomas 1840s+
HANGER Edward 1841+
RILEY William J 1855-59+
RILEY William Samuel 1861-91
BAKER Mrs Margaret 1890-99+
BAKER Frederick & Margaret 1891-99+
BURVILLE Henry 1903-04+
JEFFORD Walter T 1905- May/1905
CASTLE George J May/1905-Oct/1905
CRAIG Christopher 1907
ERRIDGE George Ralph 1907-40
MARTIN W 1940
BARLOW Thomas 1944-47+
CASWELL R 1948-Feb/49+
PARKER Henry Parker Mar/1949+
STANLEY D A Andrews 1952+
JOHNSON Mr Thomas Christopher to May-1953-July/54
NORKETT James Albert Thomas July-Dec/1954
MASON Walter Edwin Dec/1954+
REIGER Frederick Apr/1960-May/61
SMITH Walter May/1961-66
FENN R W 1966
PHILPOTT Peter J 1968-72
WILLIS Harold H 1973-76
WHITEHEAD Sidney & Sheila 1976-81
WOODWARD Robert 1981-82
HOPKINS Anthony Peter 1982-2002
HARLICK Michael & VURLEY Colin Sept/2002-10+
From the Post Office Directory 1874
From the Kelly's Directory 1878
From the Post Office Directory 1882
From the Post Office Directory 1891
From the Kelly's Directory 1899
From Pikes 1908
From the Post Office Directory 1913
Deal Library List 1914
From the Post Office Directory 1922
From the Kelly's Directory 1934
From the Post Office Directory 1938
Library archives 1974
Deal Licensing Register
From the Deal Walmer & Sandwich Mercury
The Old Pubs of Deal and Walmer by Glover and Rogers