DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Ashford, March, 2020.

Page Updated Ashford:- Sunday, 15 March, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1865-

Swan Hotel

Open 2020+

17 Tufton Street (Church Yard Pass 1871Census)

Ashford

Swan Hotel 2014

Above image from Google maps June 2014.

 

In 1869-70 the pub was part of a consortium who were advertising their goods of selling tea in response to grocers' selling beer and wine. (Click for further details.)

 

Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette 09 September 1865.

LICENSING DAY.

The licenses of the public houses in the Ashford division were renewed. The following new licenses were applied for:—

....

Mr Langham, solicitor, supported the application of George Cobb, for a license for the "Swan" beershop, the new house built opposite the police-station in Windmill-street.

....

The Bench retired to consider the applications, and on returning into Court announced that they had decided to refuse all of them with the exception of that for the "Man of Kent." Ashford, kept by William Richard Brown, and for that house they had decided to grant a license.

 

 

LICENSEE LIST

COBB George 1865-91+ (age 31 in 1871Census)

BALLARD Edward 1901-03+ (age 49 in 1901Census)

CLIFFORD Daniel Ordish 1913+

WARDELL George 1922+

GREEN Alfred 1930-38+

http://pubshistory.com/SwanHotel.shtml

https://www.whatpub.com/swan

 

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML