Sort file:- Dover, November, 2021.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 25 November, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1754

Seven Stars Inn

Latest 1875

(Name to)

37 Seven Star Street and 9 Beach Street Bagshaw's Directory 1847

Fisherman's Row in 1823



Part of the street vanished when the railway arrived in 1843 and more disappeared in 1910. The properties were cleared again by February 1936 in readiness for the building of Seven Star Street flats and they in their turn had gone by the opening of 1976. But the inn ...

For photo of Seven Star Street click here.


Earliest mention I have found is 1791, and the name Hedgecock. (Now pre-dated to 1754). I note that by 1823 it was addressed Fisherman's Row. It became the "Admiral" in 1875. Its earlier days had seen the gathering of the local politicians for their meetings and as I write that I would have thought it applied to all pubs.


From the Kentish Post or Canterbury News-Letter, November 20-23, 1754. Kindly sent from Alec Hasenson.

Sale of Wreck Deals at the Sign of the Seven Stars in Dover, October 9th.


From the Kentish Gazette, 19 to 22 April, 1791. Kindly sent from Alec Hasenson.

Sale of Freehold and Leasehold Estates at the sign of the Seven Stars, at the Pier in Dover, April 30.

[By the Pier is almost certainly meant the District of the Pier, since there was hardly a pier of any length at Dover in those days.]


From the Kentish Gazette, June 21 to 24, 1791.

Sale of Geneva [spirits] on 30th June at Mr. Hedgecock's, the Seven Stars in Dover.

From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 11 July, 1840.


An inquest was held on Monday last, at the "Star," beer-shop, before G. T. Thompson, Esq. Coroner for the Borough, on the body of Jane Blake, spinster, aged 30, who died the previous day from the effects of poison.

Francis Augusta Carrick being sworn, deposed to the following effect:- The deceased had been in the habit of visiting my house during the last three weeks. On Friday the 3rd inst. the deceased came to my house soon after breakfast, when she complained of being unwell, and vomited; but appeared to have recovered in the afternoon. She remained in my house till a little after ten o'clock at night, when I walked with her to Mr. Foreman's, at the "Seven Stars," where she lodged. I then accused her of having taking a parcel of arsenic from a cupboard, which I had missed. She replied, if I had got it I would take it. I then left her and she promised to come to my house in the morning. I waited breakfast till after eleven o'clock, and I went to Mr. Foreman's, and found the deceased was not up. Mr. Foreman's daughter came down stairs, and said the young woman was very ill and had been vomiting. I that I left the house and went home; and in a short time the deceased came in saying she was very ill, and asked leave to lie down on my bed, which I granted. I went up to her, and accused her of taking poison which she denied. I pressed her to tell me if she had taken anything, and she confessed she had taken arsenic. I then went for Mr. Rutley, the surgeon, who attended her directly. During his attendance I heard her tell him, that she had taken arsenic at Mr. Foreman's, about six o'clock in the morning of that day. She died about half-past ten o'clock on Sunday evening. She had lived servant at the "London Hotel" for about eight months, until lately. She was generally of a cheerful disposition, bit sometimes very low, which I thought was on account of her not getting a situation. I saw her one day last week prepare a letter to Henry Hopkins, at the "London Hotel," and which she said contained what she intended to do. In the beginning of last week she asked me for a razor or penknife to cut her corns. On Saturday afternoon, I asked her what she wanted with the razor, and she said to cut her throat, as people looked cool upon her, and she could not get a situation. She also said she had taken a little of the arsenic on Friday just to taste it. She denied being in the family way.

The evidence was corroborated by Mr. Rutley, surgeon, by Mrs. Lewis, Mrs. Foreman and her daughter.

Sarah Blake, sister of the deceased, said that about 10 years since she recollects a bottle of laudanum being taken from her sister's box, because it was feared she was about to destroy herself in consequence of having had a child.

Ann Ovenden, chairwoman, deposed that she was engaged to sit up with the deceased on Saturday night. She then told me that she took the poison from Mrs. Carrick's cupboard, mixed it on Monday, and used to put it by the side of the bed at night. She drank a little on Friday, which made her sick; and the remainder on Saturday morning. She further said that Mrs. Carrick showed her the poison in the cupboard, saying "this is enough to do away with yourself." Deceased always turned her head away when Mrs. Carrick came into the room. This evidence was corroborated by Mrs. Upton, who sat with her.

The Coroner then summed up the evidence; and after a short consultation the jury returned a verdict, "That the deceased destroyed herself by taking arsenic, being at the time insane."


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 9 September, 1865. Price 1d.


The leader of  German street-band, who gave the name of Daniel Fung, was placed at the bar in custody, charged with assaulting Mrs. Holiman, the landlady of the "Seven Starts" public-house, Seven Stars Street, where he had made a disturbance, and also with assaulting the policeman who had been called in to remove him in the execution of his duty.

Mrs. Holiman said she kept the "Seven Stars" public-house, Seven Star Street. The defendant came to her house from Ashford, on Saturday afternoon. He took a dislike to an old gentleman who was in the house, and struck him with a stick; and complainant, going into the room "to avoid further trouble," got struck by the defendant also. She gave him in charge of the police; but she had no desire to press the charge against him, as he performed an important part in his band, and his detention in prison would very much inconvenience his brother musicians.

The Bench thought that, however desirous the complainant might be to overlook the offence with which she charged the defendant, his assault upon the police constable could not be overlooked; and Police-constable Johnson was therefore examined. He said he saw defendant in the "Seven Stars." Defendant was drunk and riotous and the landlady was bleeding from the nose. He conveyed defendant to the station-house, and on his way there, he behaved in a very obstreperous way, and just before getting there he struck him in the face.

The defendant said he had no recollection of the circumstances.

The Bench find the defendant 5s. and 7s. costs, which he paid.





EVANS 1805

GOODBOURNE James 1823 Pigot's Directory 1823

GOODWIN Caroline 1826-28+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

FOREMAN James 1832-41+ (age 45 in 1841Census) Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839Pigot's Directory 1840

RALPH John 1847 Bagshaw's Directory 1847

May have been called the "Railway Tavern" between these dates.

LEWIS John 1851-56+ (age 63 in 1851Census)

HOLIMAN Mrs Ann 1864-65+

TROWELL Walter 1871+ (age 56 in 1871Census)

Last pub licensee had BOORMAN George Sept1873+ Next pub licensee had

TYLER George Townsend 1875 end

To "The Admiral"


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-9

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-