DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Milton Regis, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1891-

(Name from)

Cumberland Arms

Closed 1908

1 Mill Street

Milton Regis

 

From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 24 October, 1908.

EAST KENT LICENSING COMMITTEE. SUPPLEMENTAL MEETING AT CANTERBURY. COMPENSATION AWARDS.

The supplemental meeting of the East Kent Licensing Committee met at the Sessions House, Longport, Canterbury, on Monday for the purpose of considering claims for compensation under the Licensing Act of 1904. Lord Harris presided, the other members of the Committee present being Lieut.-Colonel S. Newton-Dickenson, Messrs. F. H. Wilbee, H. Fitzwalter Plumptre, J. H. Monins. F. E. Burke, F. Cheesmsn, and A. Flint. The majority of the agreements as to terms of compensation between owners and tenants were signed, only four cases being referred to the Inland Revenue. The following agreements were signed:—

“Cumberland Arms," Milton Regis, F. Leney and Co. 669, W. Pretty 100.

 

 

Closed in 1908 through the Compensation Act of redundancy, whilst under the rule of the Frederick Leney & Co Ltd. brewery of Wateringbury. This latter fact may indicate that it had been a part of the tied estate of Hartidge Brothers, of Milton, who had sold out to Leneys in the 1890s.

Ind Coope & Co Ltd purchased four cottages from Budden & Biggs Brewery Ltd by conveyance and assignment dated 23 March 1931, addressed at 45, 47, 49 & 51, Mill Street. All were unlicensed.

 

LICENSEE LIST

BARRANGER George C 1891+ Next pub licensee had (also brewer age 41 in 1891Census)

CLACKETT Edmund 1901+ (age 43 in 1901Census)

PRETTY W to 1908

 

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML