Sort file:- Deal, July, 2021.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 06 July, 2021.


Earliest 1729-

(Name from)

Hamburgh Ensign

Latest 1778+

(Name to)

41 Beach Street


Deal Borough Records show the following entry:- MS Council's Opinion 18th November 1776 - by Geo. Rowe, Inner Temple.

In the town and Borough of Deal are 30 Publick Houses including taverns and Inns, 18 whereof have stabling fit for the accommodation of Dragoons and horses and the other 12 have no stabling at all.

These dragoons (12 or 13 in all) were to assist the Officers of the Revenue at Deal.

The  following houses refused to billet the Dragoons for lack of suitable accommodation.

The Hamburg Ensign was mentioned in this list.


From the Kentish Gazette, 17 October 1778.

Deal, October 12th, 1778. To be sold.

All that substantial, well built brick dwelling house, sashed, with the Brewhouse, Malthouse, several Storehouse, and other Buildings and Appurtenances thereunto belonging, all in good Repair, and extremely well planned for carrying on the Business of a Brewer and Maltster, situate and being in Deal, and now in the occupation of Mr. W. Friend; together with the two following long-established and good accustomed public houses, viz.

All that well built dwelling house called the "Black Horse," with a small Tenement adjoining thereto, and the Outhousers, Stables, Yards and Appurtenancies thereunto belonging, situate and being in the Lower Street in Deal aforesaid, and now in the several Occupations of Mr. Dennis Pilcher, and the Widow Ratley.

And all that Dwelling House called the "Hamburg Ensign," with the Outhousers, Yard and Appurtenances thereunto belonging, situated and being in the Beach Street in Deal aforesaid, and now in the Occupation of Mr. Benjamin Parker.

And also those two Tenements or Dwelling houses, with the Yards and Appurtenances to them respectively belonging, situate and being in the Lower Street in Deal aforesaid, and now in the several Occupations of William Wiles and Thomas Morris.


By 1880 the name had changed again, this time to the "Waterman's Arms."



THOMAS Henry 1776+

PARKER Benjamin to 1778


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-