Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.



Notes of 1867


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 5 January, 1867. Price 1d.


(Before Lieut.-Col Dyke.)

Richard Payne, a labourer, was charged with being drunk and incapable of taking care of the horses under his charge, at Bapchild, on the 29th Dec.

From the evidence of P.C. Harris, stationed at Bapchild, it appeared that between 3 and 4 o'clock he found the prisoner at Bapchild, in charge of a waggon and four horses. He was very drunk, and quite incapable of directing the horses. Prisoner fell down in the road, and could not walk.

Prisoner said nothing, and was fined 30s., including coats, which he paid.


Kentish Gazette 08 January 1867.



Herbert Streeting Wills, licensed victualler, of Chartham, was charged with having, at the parish of Chartham, unlawfully and knowingly suffered gaming by dice to take place for the chance of winning certain pigs. Defendant pleaded "Guilty," and after being cautioned by the Magistrates, he was fined 1s. and 10s. costs.

(I do not yet know the name of the pub, unless it is the "George").


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 12 January, 1867. Price 1d.

Stephen Bricknell, of Sheerness, was charged with furiously driving a horse, on the 26th December last.

Benjamin Jessop, P.C. stated:- On the 26th December, I saw the defendant in the Halfway House Road in the cart with another man. The other had hold of the reins, and defendant was sitting on the left beating the horse with a large stick. They were galloping as fast as the horse could go. There were a great many people on the road, who were in great danger from his furious driving.

Fined 5 including costs, in default two calendar months.


From the Whitstable Times, 26 January 1867. Price 1d.


Building Tenders.

Messrs. Shepherd, Neame, and Co., recently invited tenders for erecting a cask cleaning and purifying building and other works connected therewith at the Faversham Brewery. Three tenders were sent in as follow:—Mr. George Creed, 1052; Mr. L. Shrubsole, 617; Mr. W. N. Goodman, 460. Mr. Shrubsole's tender has been accepted. Mr. B. Adkins is the architect.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 6 April, 1867. Price 1d.


At St. Augustine's Petty Sessions, on Saturday, William Arnold, of Herne, was summoned for unlawfully selling beer without a license, in the parish of Herne, on the 18th inst. The prisoner produced a document in extenuation of his conduct, which the Clerk read. It appears that a number of villagers are in the habit of congregating at defendant's house for the purpose of playing cards and purchasing and drinking beer.

Superintendent Walker stated that the police had received several complaints respecting the house, which was a great nuisance to the neighbourhood.

The prisoner was fined 2 and the costs.

From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 30 March, 1867. Price 1d.


James Hogben, victualler, of Whitstable, was summoned by Mr. Mount, Inspector of Weights sad Measures, for unlawfully having in his possession eight pint pots deficient in capacity.

Defendant at first pleaded not guilty; but afterwards said he could not deny the pots were short measure.

The Inspector having stated that all the other drinking utensils in defendant's possession were correct.

The Magistrates fined defendant, 10s. and the costs, 8s.

From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 13 April, 1867. Price 1d.


Wednesday, April 3. Present: T. Blackburn and G. E Hannam Esqrs.


Two men named William Thomas Cock and William Cock (cousins) were charged with stealing a quantity of lead, the property of Caleb Hillier, at Broadstairs.

Frederick Hillier said:- I know the prisoners, who have been in my father's employ for some years - one of them for 10 years, and the other for a long period. On Saturday, the sen. prisoner (William) assisted me in digging up a portion of the lead from the floor of the Old Brewery, which had recently been purchased by my father. The other portion, I left in the rain water tank. It was safe at a quarter past four. I sawed three feet at lead from the balk. On Monday, on going to the tank, I found that the lead I had deposited in the tank was gone, and I than gave information to my father, who subsequently saw the police. I cannot identify the lead produced. It is worth about a sovereign. The portion I sawed off and took home matches one of the pieces now produced.

The prisoners were asked whether they had any questions to ask the witness, when they replied in the negative and the prisoner William stated that he was guilty.

B. Marshall, marine store dealer, Ramsgate, said:- On Monday evening, two men sold me 60lb. of lead, and 4lbs. of dross, for which he paid 7s. 6d. They gave the name of Wastell, St. Lawrence. I cannot identify the men. They said the lead was their own property. The usual price is to builders 1 per cwt., but to dealers not so march. I believe William is one of the men.

P.C. Hoad, K.C.C., stationed at St. Peter's, said:- Yesterday I west to Ramsgate, and called the last witnesses place of business. I asked whether he had purchased a quantity of lead pipe, and he replied that he had, on Monday evening, and described the men, and from the description he gave me, I apprehended the prisoner William, and told him of the robbery from the Old Brewery, and that, owing to the description given by the marine-store dealer of the men whom he made the purchase, I should apprehend him. He told me it was no use to deny it; he stole it on Saturday night, and his reason for doing it was because the rent of his garden was due on Friday or Saturday next. He has six children.

P.C. Brissenden, K.C.C., said:- After William Cock was apprehended, I took the other prisoner into custody, on the charge of stealing a quantity of lead, the property of Mr. Hillier. He asked whether I had caught the other man, and I replied in the affirmative. He then stated that the other prisoner came to him on Saturday night, and, at his request, helped him to take the lead.

The prisoner having pleaded guilty, and elected to be summarily dealt with, the prosecutor spoke favourably of their general character. They had been in his employ several years, he had, up to Saturday, every confidence in them. One of them had six children, and the other was the main stay of his aged father and mother. He would be pleased to give them employment on their release from custody.

The Chairman stated that the prisoners were liable to six months' imprisonment; but, owing to the character their master had given them, they would be sentenced to one month's imprisonment each. Had he not done so, the full term would have been ordered.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 20 July 1867. Price 1d.

Rebecca Bacon was charged with unlawfully selling beer after 10 p.m., at the parish of Seasalter, on the 4th July last. Defendant appeared and stated that there was a party of friends at her house on the night in question, and she positively denied having taken any money. The magistrates, after having folly heard the case, decided that as there appeared to be considerable doubt in the matter they would dismiss it. The Chairman cautioned the defendant to be more careful in future.

At present I do now know which pub this is referring to.


From the Dover Express, 23 August 1867.


On Saturday last an inquest was held at Ringwould, on the body of Michael Upton, who had been found dead the same morning. Deceased was a man of eccentric habits; and lived in a little wooden house quite alone. He was not of very temperate habits; but it seemed that there was some excuse for his indulgence in spirits, as he was suffering from a very painful disease from the effects of which he used to find temporary relief by the use of gin. He had complained of his ill health a day or two previously, and on the night previous to his death, was assisted to bed by some neighbours, who left him with his clothes and shoes on. Dr. Davey, of Walmer, was called in, and it transpired that he had attended the deceased a day or two before his death, when he found him breathing with difficulty, and complaining of pains in the stomach. He noticed a good deal of irregularity in the pulsation, which was also feeble. The deceased seemed indifferently provided for; indeed he was hardly possessed by the bare necessities of life. The body exhibited no marks of violence, and the doctor thought deceased had come by his death through fair means, though believing that he had not had sufficient nourishment, and that death had been accelerated by the use of spirits. The jury returned a verdict of “Death from Natural Causes.”


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 14 September 1867. Price 1d.


The annual licensing Sessions for the Home Division of the County of Kent were held at Canterbury on Saturday last.

A license for selling wine and spirits by retail was granted to Fred. William Webster, chemist of High Street.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 14 September 1867. Price 1d.


Thursday week was the day fixed for renewing licenses to innholders and hearing applications for new licenses. The numerous innkeepers in the city were instructed to attend at the Guildhall at eleven o'clock, and by that hour the court and its approaches were thronged by them. There was a general complaint made that this class of persons should be kept out of their business for so many hours—the actual work of renewing the grants not commencing until half-past two o'clock; the professional gentlemen who were engaged to support the applications for new licenses having had the usual courtesy shown them by the magistrates of having their cases heard before other business was despatched. Details of the business appended:—

Mr. White, from the office of Messrs. Farley, Callaway, and Farley, objected to a license being granted to Mr. Ponton to sell excisable liquors at the "Kings," in St. Margaret's. He stated that the population of the district was a resident one, and including as it did persons who carried on extensive businesses it was very undesirable that the application should be granted. Besides the premises did not contain accommodation other than for "tipplers."
Application for license granted.

Mr. White supported the application of Mr. Larkin for a license. He stated that the premises were used as an eating-house, which was frequented by ladies during the excursion season.

The Mayor:- But ladies generally drink coffee.

Mr. White:- I think they make exception when they are out (Laughter).

Application refused.

Messrs. Pearse and Beer, wine and spirit merchants, applied for their premises in St. George's to be licensed. Mr. Pearse stated that he and his partner were anxious to be in a position to sell small quantities of spirits to persons. At present many poor people were deprived of obtaining spirits because they could only purchase reputed quarts at their establishment. In answer to the Bench Mr. Pearse said that accommodation would be provided for travellers - or as the Act expresses it “wayfarers” - should such requirements be needed.

Application for license granted.

Mr. Delasaux supported an application on the part of Messrs. Shepherd, Neame, and Co., for a renewal of the "Red Lion" in St. Peter's. The house had been complained of by the residents in that locality in consequence of its being conducted in a disorderly manner. Mr. Delasaux explained that the lessees of the property never expected the landlord Stone to be their tenant. They let the house to another party who had sub-let it to the present occupier. Messrs. Shepherd, Neame, and Co., would consent to get rid of Stone in a fortnight if the license was renewed.

Supt. Davies stated that he had receded many complaints of the disorderly conduct pursued at the inn. The magistrates granted the renewal on the terms proposed by Mr. Delasaux.

New licenses were granted to the following houses:— "Brewery Tap," Northgate; "Riding Gate Inn," Dover-road; "Ordnance Arms," Ruttington-Iane; "Railway Tavern," Station-road. St. Dunstan's; "Hope Tavern," St. George's; "Palace Hotel," Whitstable-road; and the "Maid of Kent."

Applications from holders of the undermentioned houses were refused.

"Crown and Anchor," King-street; "Sportsman," Wincheap; "New Wheatsheaf," Wincheap; and the "Falcon," St. Peter's.

The license of "King William IV.," North-Lane, and that of the "Prince of Wales," King-street, were suspended until the 19th inst, when the adjourned court will be held.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 21 September 1867. Price 1d.


The following applications for new licenses were heard:— Thomas Mitchell, "The Castle" Sittingbourne; Wm. Thomas Dulake, "The Swan," Sittingbourne; Felix Wm. Spiers, Refreshment rooms at, Sittingbourne Railway Station; Wm. Fry, "Royal Oak,” Sittingbourne; John Thomas, “The Sun in the Wood." Halstow; Walter Brett, "Sir John Falstaff," Newington; James Kitchener "The Lord Stanley," Upchurch; Wm. McKee. “Sea View Tavern," Sheerness; John Wood, "Red Lion," Sheerness; William Robins, "Crystal Palace.” Sheerness; Edward Mills, "Edward 1st," Upchurch.

Licenses ware granted to Mr. Spiers for the Refreshment Rooms at the Sittingbourne Station, and to Mr. W. McKee, of "Sea View Tavern," Sheerness all the others were refused.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 11 October, 1867.


Richard Sandford, an elderly man, was charged with being drunk and incapable on the Commercial Quay, late upon the proceeding evening.

The defendant pleaded that he was "seized with the cold" on endeavouring to find his own house on the preceding night, and was so overpowered that he fell to the ground, where he lay till the policeman found him.

The Magistrates let him off on his paying 2s. for the hearing.