DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Margate, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 18 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1845-

(Name from)

Pier Hotel

Latest 1878

(Name to)

(2 in 1871Census) Bankside

Margate

Pier Hotel

Above photo date unknown.

 

According to Barry J White the pub was originally the "Foy Boat" but cannot confirm this assumption, he also suggests the building was combined with the "Duke's Head" in 1878 to become the "Grand Hotel."

The Isle of Thanet Williams Directory of 1849 describes this as a Family and Commercial Hotel opposite the jetty that was also operating as a wine, spirit, ale and porter merchant.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 25 February 1845.

MARGATE.

Town-Hall. Feb. 19. before T. Blackburn the younger, and George E. Hannam, esqrs. and the Rev. Geo. Wilson Sicklemore, clerk.

Ambrose Jutton, of this place, police constable, charged with unlawfully assaulting Mr. J. Hudson, (son of the proprietor of the "Pier Hotel"), and was adjudged to pay a fine and costs amounting to 1.

 

LICENSEE LIST

Last pub licensee had HUDSON William L 1845-58+ Williams Directory 1849

HALFPENNY William 1861-67+ (age 54 in 1861Census)

HOWARD E M 1871+ (age 33 in 1871Census)

DAVIS Henry Edward 1874+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/Pier.shtml

 

CensusCensus

Williams Directory 1849From Isle of Thanet Williams Directory 1849

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML