Page Updated:- Sunday, 06 January, 2019.


Earliest 1772-


Open 2019+

78 London Road



01795 521218


Above photo showing the "Swan" 2013.

Swan and George

As seen from the above picture, the pub is set back from the main road and is situated next to the "George." Picture date 2008.

Swan sign 1986

Above sign, September 1986.

With thanks from Brian Curtis


James Harris sold the pub to Thomas Boulding in 1772 who later still sold it on in 1775 to Thomas Frost by of 9d a messuage called "The Swan" and land in Linsted.


Deeds Swan

T78 1759 8th Feb The said testator Edwd Dane departed this life the latter end of the year 1760 and was buried at Linsted the fourth of Jan 1761 and ... Mary his widow soon afterwards marryed one William Harris choodhill about a month before Mulias 1766 and was in possession of the rents of the estate from the said Edwd Danes death till that time, the deceased Edwd Dane Hall died before the testators widow (viz) abt the end of the year 1762 at the age of 54 years and was buried at Lynsted 2nd Jan 1763 and consequently never was in the actual possion of the premises, upon the widow of the said testator Edwrd Dane's death James Harris of Rodmersham wheeler??? upon the said estate as the 2nd cousin and heir law of the whole blood to Edwd Dane Hall whom the testator in his will calls his godson & nephew Edward Hall Dane son of Edward Hall of Linsted and has been in the quiet possession and receipt of the rents thereof ever since her death and has agreed to convey the estate to Mr Thomas Boulding if the freehold was in the decree of Edwd Dane notwithstanding he never entered upon the estate and that the same descended to James Harris and he can? make a good Title? therof to Mr Boulding of which your opinion is desired.

[see document dated 1820 at Faversham referring to Henry Dane]


Kentish Gazette 05 September 1865.


On Tuesday an inquest was held at the "Swan Inn," Greenstreet, before Mr. Coroner Hills and a jury, of which Mr. James Flood was the foreman, on the body of a newly-born female child, the daughter of a single woman named Ellen Cheeseman. It will be remembered that about a year since the same woman gave birth to a child on whom an inquest was also held before the same coroner and at the same house. On that occasion considerable blame was evidently attached to the mother, and, consequently, in the present instance, great interest was felt in the result of the inquiry. The jury having viewed the body, the following evidence was adduced:—

Caroline, the wife of police-constable Craig, said:- I live in the same house as Mr. John Flood, with whom lives a young woman he has had under his charge almost since her infancy, named Ellen Cheeseman. To the best of my knowledge she is a single woman. I have known her two years, and believe she is 23 years of age. On Friday evening she gave birth to twin girl’s, who have been registered by the names of Rosa and Edith. She was attended in her confinement by Dr. Adams, and was waited upon by a nurse. One of the children died yesterday (Monday) morning, up to which time I believe all went well. I saw the mother several times after her confinement, and went to her room at about half-post five on Monday morning to see how she was. She said she was better than on Sunday. I did not see the children, but heard them crying, and they had been crying the greater portion of the night. At about a quarter to six I went upstairs again for my baby, and she then called to me, and on going to the room I found that one of the children was dead. It was placed on the side of the bed, and the other one was in bed by the side of its mother. She said to me, "Look here; the baby is dead;" and I then called Mrs. Sills, who had attended to her. She came at once, and we went upstairs together. I sent for Dr. Adams immediately. When the child was first born I thought it would not live, as it was continually crying, and was very small and weakly.

By Dr. Adams:- I did not see, when I first went to the room on Monday morning, whether the deceased was entirely covered with the blanket in which it was wrapped.

By the Coroner:- The child has had great difficulty in breathing ever since its birth.

By a Juror:- It did not take the breast, but received its milk from a spoon.

By the Coroner:- When I first went into a room one of the children was wrapped in a flannel petticoat and the other in a shawl.

By the Foreman:- When you came to register the children on Sunday morning, I said I did not think the deceased would live, as she was black from her wrist to her shoulder, and seemed to have no warmth whatever.

Mary Ann Lawrence, a widow, residing in Greenstreet, said:- I attended Ellen Cheeseman in her confinement last Friday night, when she was delivered of twin girls named Rosa and Edith. The deceased was the younger of the two, and was named Edith. I attended to the mother and children on Saturday and Sunday, and, on dressing the children on Sunday, I found that the deceased was very ill, and that its arms were swollen. I did not think it would live through Sunday afternoon. It was with great difficulty that it breathed; and I accordingly advised that Dr. Adams should be called in. I heard on Monday morning that Edith was dead, and on going to the room I saw that such was the ease.

By Mr. Adams:- I do not know why you were not told that the child was ill when you asked the question.

Dr. Adams said he asked about the children’s health, and was told that they were quite well.

Mrs. Sills, in answer to one of the jury, said the deceased was last fed between eight and nine o’clock on Sunday evening.

Dr. Henry Adams, surgeon, said:- I attended Ellen Cheeseman in her confinement on Friday last, and called on Saturday to see her and her children. The children were small, but appeared to be healthy, and were breathing easily when I saw them. I was told they fed well, though they did not take the breast. Yesterday morning I was sent for, and found that the child Edith was dead. I subsequently made a post-mortem examination. I was surprised to find that the child was dead, as when I saw it on Saturday I thought it wits healthy, and was told by the woman present that such was the case. I found that death was caused by congestion of the lungs. Having been told that the child was healthy I thought, on making the examination, that the child had probably been overlain. When I went into the house on Monday morning I made inquiries about the children, and was then told that they had not been unwell. I believe now, judging from what I have heard here to-day, that the child died from natural causes. If it had been overlaid the same appearances would have been caused, as it was very feeble and small in every way. When I saw it on Saturday I did not see anything to prevent its living. I think that a blanket, if it had been placed over it, would have caused its death. There was no appearance of violence on the body.
The Coroner having briefly referred to the evidence, the jury returned a verdict of "Death from natural causes."


Dover Express, Friday 09 February 1906.


The Faversham County Bench of Magistrates gave notice at their meeting on Thursday that they should object to the renewal of the following licenses:- The "Dolphin", "Three Squirrels," the "Ship" ale houses at Boughton; the "Swan" ale house at Lynsted; the "Crown" ale house and the "Mayor's Arms" beer-houses at Ospringe; the "Rose" beer-house at Teynham; the "Scots Greys" beer house at Throwley; and the beer off-license held by Mr. Philpott at Davington.



HARRIS James to 1772

BOULDING Thomas 1772-75

FROST Thomas 1775+

WEST Thomas 1828-32+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34

HOMER Mrs 1858+


Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-