52 Beach Street
From the Kentish Post or Canterbury News-Letter,
August 22-25, 1730. Kindly sent from Alec Hasenson.
To be sold by auction at the Sign of the Three Kings in
Deal, on Monday the 17th
Day of September next, in one Lot, the several Public Houses following,
at Deal, viz. the Sign of the Crown, late in the occupation of the widow
Brockman; the Sign of the Bricklayer’s Arms, now in the occupation of
Forrest; the Sign of the Unicorn, in the occupation of Henry Hillgrove;
the Sign of
the Fleece, in the occupation of John Wealand; the Sign of the Globe, in
occupation of Stephen Norris; and the Sign of the Carpenter’s Arms, in
the occupation of William Savine; with another Tenement adjoining, in
the occupation of Nicholas Ladd: the first of which Houses is Freehold,
the two next are Leasehold for eleven years, renewable on a small fine
certain, and the rest Leasehold from the Archbishop of Canterbury.
From the Kentish Post, April 25-28, 1739. Kindly sent
from Alec Hasenson.
Sale of Upholsterer's Goods near the "Three Kings" in Bench Street,
Kentish Gazette, August 22-25, 1753. Kindly sent
from Alec Hasenson.
A sale advertised at the Three Kings in Deal on September 17.
Kentish Gazette, July 31 to August 4, 1779. Kindly sent
from Alec Hasenson.
Sale of a Cutter at the THREE KINGS, Deal, August 5, 1779.
From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General
Advertiser, Saturday 16 January, 1836. Price 7d.
On Wednesday, the Town Council celebrated their own dignity and the
good taste of the Burgesses, by a liberal festival at the "Three
Kings Hotel." Public notices were issued some days previous, and they
were honoured with 13 visitors, exclusive of their own select body,
making the total 39. The names of the Clergy, Officers of the Navy and
Army, &c. present, have not transpired. Some of the Livery were
present, and there was no lack of grace on the occasion. The
Council-cup passed freely round; and various boasted and astonishing
improvements were mooted. Amongst which, the great bubble of
Beach-street was splendidly blown, to the great delight of
the admiring spectators. Several choice Reform toasts and sentiments
were elicited, and a few anthems were sung, long metre! After
which the company separated, highly delighted with themselves, and
deeply impressed with the refined suavity and politeness of their
From Laker 1917, P. 314.
Quoting Kentish Gazette re embarkation of troops for the Helder 9th
"About 8 a.m. his Grace the Duke of Portland, accompanied by Lord
Cavan, arrived at the "Three Kings" Hotel from Dover in a post chaise
and four, the horses decorated with orange coloured ribbons; he went on
the balcony fronting the beach to see the embarkation, which extended
from one end of the town to the other and immediately opposite the
"Three Kings", the Deal boatmen contrived to launch several of their
large boats full of soldiers from the top of the beach at one time,
which had a fine effect. His Grace was joined on the balcony by Lady
Jane and Mr. Dundas & occasionally by the Duke of York, Lord Frederick
Somerset, Lord Chatham and Mr. Pitt. Mr. Pitt waited upon the Port
Admiral and had a long conference with him and afterwards walked home to
Walmer Castle alone. The Duchess of York and Portland with their suits,
walked to the "Hoop and Griffin"
Inn, from the beach opposite which they were launched in one of the
largest Deal boats and returned by water to Walmer for dinner.
The two Dukes stood up in the boat, waving their hats and bowing to
the people. The water being low, the boat ground soon after she was
pushed off, when the boatmen of the place, with great spirit, rushed
into the water up to their necks and even swam around the boat to get
From Laker 1917, P. 318.
Re attack on Boulogne flotilla and return of wounded to Deal (from
Times 17 August 1801 and Nelson's letters)
"At 4 p.m. Nelson landed, attended by Captain Gore of the "Medussa"
and took up his residence at the "Three King's" Hotel.
Laker says - "although the 'Times' correspondent says that Nelson had
taken up residence at the "Three King's," it would appear that during
this period of his stay he went there merely for his meals when ashore,
his usual procedure being to come ashore after 10 each morning and
return to the "Medusa" at three or later."
From Laker 1917, P. 319.
1801 - "About the 31st August, Nelson was joined by Sir William and
Lady Hamilton and Mrs. Nelson, his sister-in-law. They took lodgings at
the "Three Kings" and remained in Deal until September 30th."
From Laker 1917, P. 341.
"Princess Adelaide of Saxe-Meinegen stayed at the "Three King's"
on 31st July, 1818."
From Laker 1917, P. 398.
1794 - "The Austrian Colonel Mack who surrendered to Napoleon at Ulm
in 1805, stayed at the "Three King's."
Obviously going back to as early as 1730 and keeping that name till at
least 1828, this pub eventually ended up by 1837 as the "Royal
In 1832, there was also mention of the "Three Kings Tap" also in Beach
Street. Taps were usually subsidiaries of hotels, but often in research they
cannot be identified as belonging to the hotel or indeed part of the same
building, so more research is definitely needed for this one. The "Three
Kings Tap" was also mentioned in 1804.
From the East Kent Mercury, October 23, 1986.
The item is by the late Tony Arnold who turned out fascinating pieces of
Duke of York was a visitor.
A previous Duke of York was a frequent visitor to Deal. George III's
son was in command of forces in the town at the time of the war with
He made his headquarters in the comfortable Three Kings Hotel,
spurning the spartan quarters offered at the castles.
The Three Kings (now the "Royal Hotel") had a balcony from which the
Duke used to view the Downs and shipping each morning.
Kindly sent by Patricia Streater.
KNOCKER Richard 1897+ (Inn and Excise Office Keeper)
GROSS Thomas 1804+
GIBBS Robert 1826-39+
CRAMP Thomas 1832-39+ ( Three Kings Tap,
From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29
From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34
From the Pigot's Directory 1839