Sort file:- Deal, October, 2022.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 04 October, 2022.


Earliest 1804

Walmer Castle Hotel

Latest 1938

Victoria Parade

South Street Pigot's Directory 1839

206 Lower Street (1870)


Walmer Castle, Deal

Above picture of the Walmer Castle Hotel, extreme left kindly supplied by Sue Solley. Date unknown.


The 1891 census gives the address as 206 High Street, Lower Street having previously been renamed. Situated at 205 in the same year was the "Windsor Castle."

If this is indeed the same hotel as listed at its history can be traced back as early as 1858 when George Bradman held the reins. Although the above information gives the address as South Street. Perhaps someone can tell me whether the two streets are near or indeed one and the same.

Further research gathered from the Deal library archives shows the "Walmer Castle and Stables" in Lower Street listed in a valuation list of May 1804, and a William Salmon in charge of the hotel in South Street and it has come to light that the original was demolished to be rebuilt on the opposite side of South Street, some time during its existence. Lloyds Bank now occupies the original "Walmer Castle Inn," which burnt down.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 19 September, 1846. Price 5d.


On Friday sennight a salvage committee was held at the “Walmer Castle Inn,” to hear the claim of Henry Axon and twelve others, for assistance rendered by the luggers “Atlas” and “George the Fourth,” to the Dutch ship “Louisa Maria,” on the 18th and 19th ult., while in a perilous situation on the Goodwin Sands; when the sum of 387 was awarded for the very timely and able assistance rendered by them, and the steamers “Sampson” and “Fawn,” to this valuable ship. Too much credit cannot be given to this highly and meritorious and active class of men, and it is pleasing to find that the Right Hon. Earl Amherst, during his sojourn here, kindly considered their truly hazardous calling by transmitting a donation of 5 to the treasurer of the Boatmen's Benevolant Fund, and for which the Committee of Management would thus publicly thank his lordship, who it is well known has always felt a deep interest in the welfare of our hearty tars.


From Dover Express 01 November 1867.


The inhabitants of Deal were aroused from their slumbers shortly after three o'clock on Wednesday morning by the cry of "Fire."

Mr. WILKINS, living next door to the "WALMER CASTLE" HOTEL, was awoke by smoke penetrating his bed-room, accompanied by a strong smell of fire. He descended to the street, and almost immediately Mr. NOBLE, fruiterer, and Mr. S. SOLOMON, general dealer, arrived, who encountered Mr. JEWITT, the landlord of the hotel, and the servant, almost in a state of nudity, just escaped from the house and calling loudly for assistance.

The fire at this period appeared to be confined to the back part of the house, and had means of extinguishing it been at hand at that moment, it is supposed it might have been easily accomplished. One of those first present went immediately to the Royal Marine and Infantry Barracks, for the assistance of the troops and the barrack engines. In a very short time the Royal Marines followed by the troops of the line, were on the spot, accompanied by their engines, and went to their work with the utmost vigour. About three quarters of an hour had by this time elapsed since the first discovery of the fire - it had in consequence made great progress, and the premises were evidently doomed. The fire before the troops arrived had got complete possession of the whole fabric, the flames rushing out of every window, and through the roof, rising far into the air and over the tops of the adjacent houses, and the destruction of the property adjoining appeared imminent. The alarm excited along both sides of Lower-street as far as Queen-street and Broad-street was great, those most contiguous to the fire having to remove their effects precipitately. Messengers were sent to Dover and Sandwich for additional engines; soon after which the roof fell in, the walls and stacks of chimneys shortly following. The troops continued their exertions with unabated vigour, knowing that there were spirits in the cellar and bar, which as the fire reached one receptacle after another shot up a fiercer flame than before. The heat was so great that in the houses on the opposite side of Lower-street near the hotel the plate glass was so hot that the squares were in one or two instances broken. The fire had taken hold of the top of the house occupied by Mr. WILKINS, and to prevent it spreading in this direction, the efforts of the troops were successfully directed and these premises were partially saved, which a few minutes previously it had been determined to pull down to stop further progress of the fire. The house is, however, unfit for occupation and will have to come down. It is not insured.

By seven o'clock the fire was got under. The Dover engine came up, accompanied by Inspector CORAM, and two constables, whose services were fortunately not required; they had accomplished the distance from Dover to Deal in the short space of three-quarters of an hour. Mr. WILKINS was not insured, but his furniture and effects were saved. Mr. JEWITT is fully insured in the Sun Insurance Office, for the furniture and stock-in-trade. Mr. HILLS, the owner of the hotel, is uninsured. Mr. REDMAN "Windsor Castle" public-house sustained slight damage, but is fully insured.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 5 February, 1870. 1d.


Mr. D. M. Hills made an application to the Bench for a new license for the "Walmer Castle Hotel," Lower Street. The house, he stated, was some two or three years ago burnt down since which time the license had been in abeyance. New premises had been erected and were about to be occupied by Mr. Gould, who was desirous of having a license granted to him. Mr. Jewett was the tenant at the time the premises were burnt down, but he had since left the town and had not applied for a renewal of his license.

Mr. Gould was present and, having been sworn, said he had taken the "Walmer Castle," and wanted the Magistrate's permission to open the house till next transfer day. He had formerly kept the "Bush Hotel" at Southsea for two years, but for the last six years he had been residing there privately. He had been a publican for 30 years, and had never had an information laid against him in his life.

The Magistrates granted the application.


Kentish Gazette, 8 March, 1870.


Borough Petty Sessions.

The Magistrates present at these sessions on Thursday were the Mayor, W. M. Cavell, E. Brown, and J. Iggulden, Esqrs.

The license of the “Three Compasses” public house, Beach-street, was transferred from Henry Wood to William Appleton, and a new license was granted to Mr Thomas Gould, late of Southsea, for the “New Walmer Castle Hotel.”


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 15 July, 1871. 1d.


Abraham Brooks, labourer, was brought up by P.C. Spicer, charged with stealing a gold chain, of the value of 15s. from the person of Walter Arnold, whilst at the "Walmer Castle Hotel," Lower Street, Deal, on the night of the 8th inst.

Walter Arnold deposed: I am a boatman, and live at Walmer Road. On Saturday night between 11 and 12 o'clock I was in the bar of the "Walmer castle Hotel." the bar was full of people drinking. One of my friends called for a quart of beer, but the landlord would not serve us. Whilst standing at the bar I saw the prisoner come alongside of me and take my chain from my waistcoat through the button hole. There was no watch at the end of the chain, and it came away easily. I stood still and kept my eye on him, but I did not say anything, as I was afraid to because there were so many of them. The prisoner afterwards sat down close to me, and I said, "I have lost my chain, and this is the man (meaning the prisoner) who has taken it." I did not address that remark to anyone in particular, but directly I had said it prisoner ran out of the door, and he afterwards came in again. When he was outside I saw him pass the chain to someone else. I have never seen the prisoner before to my recollection. Someone fetched the police, and I gave the prisoner in charge.

Cross-examined by Prisoner: I can swear I saw you draw the chain out of my pocket, and I saw you go out of the door and come back in again. You did pass the chain to some one else, but I don't know who it was.

By the Court: I was not "tight," and I knew very well what I was about. I had drank a few glasses of beer during the evening. I did not have any drinking amusements, and I did not commence drinking in the afternoon - I always make it a practice to go to bed of an afternoon. The first glass of beer I had in the afternoon was at the "Queen's Head," and I then took a walk to Upper Walmer and round the fields, and then came to Deal. I then had a pint of beer at Darban's the "Hope," public-house and after another walk I went to the "Star," and the only other house I went to was the "Walmer Castle." I was not there many seconds before my chain was stolen.

John Albery deposed: I am landlord at the "Walmer Castle Hotel." I was in the bar about ten minutes to 12 on Saturday night, when the prosecutor and two others came in. They asked for some beer, but I declined to serve them as Arnold was drunk. The man that asked for the beer said that the prosecutor and he had been dancing at the "Star" for two or three hours. He said this outside afterwards, but I don't think the prisoner was present. The prisoner was in the bar when the men came in, and directly I refused to draw any beer the prosecutor shut the door and cried out that he had lost his chain. Prisoner was then at the bar. At first the prosecutor charged another man with stealing it, but afterwards picked upon the prisoner. I did not observe whether the prosecutor had a chain on or not when he came in. Prisoner did not leave the bar, and what the prosecutor has said about his going out is all false. Prosecutor was very noisy, and I took hold of his collar and tried to get him out of the house, but some of the others held him back. The prisoner is a regular customer of mine and I have always found him honest.

P.S. Spicer said: About five minutes to 12 on Saturday night I was called by a young man to go to the "Walmer Castle Hotel." I went in company with P.C. Pettet, and on arriving there I saw the landlord outside. The landlord told me he wanted the house cleared, and when I got inside I saw the prisoner and the prosecutor standing together at the bar. The prosecutor, who was the worse for drink and very much excited, then charged the prisoner with stealing his chain. prisoner said, "If I have anything about me, constable, it is without my knowledge." I then took the prisoner to the station-house, and on searching him we only found 6d. He was quite sober, and went very orderly and quietly to the station. After we had searched the prisoner, prosecutor still insisted on having him locked up, as he said he was certain that he saw him steal the chain and hand it to someone outside.

The Magistrates did not think it necessary to call upon the prisoner for his defence, and without any hesitant decided to dismiss the case.

The Mayor accordingly informed the prosecutor that the man would be dismissed, as the Magistrates considered there was no evidence before them to prove that the prisoner stole the chain or even that he had a chain on when he entered the "Walmer Castle Hotel." The case would therefore be dismissed, and prosecutor would have to pay all expenses, which amounted to 6s.

Prosecutor, who throughout had conducted himself in a most excited manner, was greatly dissatisfied with the decision, and complained that the Bench would not hear his witness.

On inquiry it turned out that the witness alluded to was a woman who was sitting in front of the bar of the "Walmer Castle" when prosecutor entered, and a friend of Arnold's stated that she had told him she saw the prisoner take the chain as alleged by Arnold.

Supt. Parker said that from what he could gather he was afraid the woman was not in a fit state to know what occurred.

Under those circumstances, the Magistrates did not consider it necessary to have the evidence of the woman.

Prosecutor inquired whether he could not carry the case to another court?

The Mayor informed him he could take what course he liked.

Prisoner said he had lost a day's work, and wanted  to know whether he could not have some compensation.

The Magistrates said they could not assist him.


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 12 August, 1871. 1d.


Plaintiff, who is a labourer employed on the buildings upon the Victoria Town Estate, Deal, sued the defendant, a waterman, at Walmer Road, for 5 as damages for false imprisonment. Our readers will remember that a few weeks since the plaintiff was charged before the Deal Borough Magistrates with stealing a gold chain from the person of Arnold at the bar of the "Walmer Castle Hotel," between 11 and 12 on a Sunday night. He was given into custody there and then by Arnold, and he remained in the lock-up till the following Monday morning, when the case was heard by the Magistrates, who dismissed it.

Plaintiff detailed these facts to his Honor, and stated that the matter had caused both himself and his wife much anxiety. He had always borne a good character, and he thought it was a great pity now that he was getting in years that he should lay under such a scandal. He never saw the defendant, much less anything belonging to him.

The Registrar handed to his Honor a letter from plaintiff's employer (Mr. Childs) giving him a good character.

Defendant said he was certain the plaintiff was guilty, as he distinctly saw him take the chain. - Mr. Drew, however, who appeared for Arnold, said no doubt the plaintiff had been wrongfully imprisoned, and was perhaps entitled to some little compensation, but not to anything like the amount claimed. When before the Magistrates he had asked for a day's pay, and no doubt if he had got that he would have been perfectly satisfied. If plaintiff could get 5 over the job, no doubt he would like to be locked up every Saturday night in the same way. (A laugh.) It would be quite impossible for the defendant to pay 5.

Plaintiff said he would much rather pay 5 if he had it than undergo the same again. It was the first time he had ever been before a Magistrate.

His Honor said persons aught to be more careful about giving people into custody, and while he did not wish plaintiff to make a little fortune out of the circumstance, he thought he was entitled to something, and should award him 3.



The inn was a major fare and mounting stage, for the Deal to Dover coaches and early omnibuses.

During the late 19th century there was a skating rink attached to the newer of the "Walmer Castle."


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 6 February, 1875. 1d.

A man named John Mayo, stated to be a commercial traveller, was brought up under a warrant, charged with assaulting the Superintendent of the Police while in the execution of his duty.

Mr. T. C. Hall appeared for the defendant.

William Thomas Parker deposed: I am Superintendent of the Deal Borough Police. Last night, between 11 and 12 o'clock, I was on duty in Lower Street, when I heard loud talking in the "Walmer Castle Hotel." I went and tried the bar door and found it was fastened. I then went to a passage leading to the back door of the house from South Street, found the door unfastened and went in. I saw the landlord, Mr. Ashdown, and the defendant in a room. One of the accosted me, and asked me who I was. I told him I was the Superintendent, and he then asked me for my number. I told him I had none. He then abused me, and used very bad language. I got into the streets, and defendant then came and asked me to have something to drink. I said I would not, and he then said if I would not have something to drink he would kick my ____. He did so, I then struck him, and he kicked me again. We then had a scuffle and we both fell down. I lost my hat. I then went along the street and met Sergeant Philpott and Police-constable Annall. We then went back to the house and knocked at the door. The lights were all put out, but the people inside kept dodging about, and the windows above were opened. I then heard someone say "Who stole the mutton," "Bobbies," &c. The landlord declined this morning to give me my hat. Last night I picked up a slipper close by where the scuffle took place, and took possession of it. I was accused by the landlord last night of being drunk, but I distinctly deny the charge. Defendant, I think, had been drinking.

Cross-examined by Mr. Hall: I went back with Philpott and Annall at about half-past twelve. I believe they stated near the premises all night. I will positively swear that I saw perfectly sober. The defendant did say "The idea of your coming to my private room." The defendant was not having his supper; he was smoking. They were talking noisily. I made no disagreeable noise when I went in. I saw no one in the bar parlour. I have only been in the house once before. The defendant did not say "The best thing you can do is to go home and go to bed." I swear I was not drunk. I did say to him, "you can commence kicking as soon as you like." I swear he asked me to have something to drink. I did not cut any ropes this morning or barricade any doors. The room I went into was the first I came to from the passage. It was about half-past eleven when I went in.

Sergeant Joshua Douglass Philpott said: I was on duty at about 12.30 last night, when I met the Superintendent opposite the police-station. I asked him where his hat was, and he said "am I drunk?" I told him he did not look much like it. We went to the "Walmer Castle Hotel." There were lights burning. We knocked for admission, but got no reply. I will swear that the Superintendent was perfectly sober.

Cross-examined: Lights were burning at the lower part of the house, and were put out while we were there.

P.C. Annall: I went with the Superintendent and Sergt. Philpott to the "Walmer Castle Hotel" last night. Superintendent Parker was not drunk, but perfectly sober.

Cross-examined: The Superintendent was with us nearly an hour.

Mr. Hall, for the defence, called George Thomas, who deposed: I am a billiard marker at the "Walmer Castle Hotel." I saw the Superintendent last night. He staggered three or four times. He could not speak.

Arthur Ward: I am boots at the "Walmer Castle." Superintendent Parker was the worse for drink when he came to the Hotel last night.

Fanny Marie Ashdown: I am landlady of the "Walmer Castle." I heard knocking by the police. The door was opened, and the Superintendent went into the coffee-room. I was in the bar parlour. Mr. Mayo told him he had much better go home. Parker was drunk and could not walk straight; Mayo was sober.

The Magistrates then retired for consultation, after which the Mayor said that the Magistrates were satisfied that an assault had been committed by the defendant, and that the Superintendent of police had not exceeded his duty in ascertaining the cause of the noise in the Hotel. They were of opinion that the witnesses called for the defence were mistaken in their assertion that the Superintendent was intoxicated, and the Court would not believe that allegation. They were deposed to deal leniently with the defendant, and he must pay a fine of 20s. including costs.

The money was paid.




BAYNESTONE Francis 1804+ (Stables)

SALMON William 1804

SYMPSON Brasmus 1823+ Pigot's Directory 1823

SYMPSON Elizabeth 1839+ Pigot's Directory 1839

BRADMAN George 1858+ Melville's 1858

JARMAN W 1862+ Kelly's 1862

JEWETT Mr to Nov/1867ish (Burnt down) Deal Mercury

New premises built.

GOULD Thomas Feb/1870+ Deal Mercury

ALBERY John B 1871+ (age 26 in 1871Census) Deal Mercury

OUTWIN & Co John Thomas 1874+ Kelly's 1874

ASHDOWN Mr M 1875+ Deal Mercury

WESTON Alfred 1882+ Post Office Directory 1882

SCHURIG Paul Alex 1891+ Post Office Directory 1891

LOGAN John 1913-22+ Post Office Directory 1913Deal library 1914Post Office Directory 1922

PURKIS William E 1938+ Post Office Directory 1938

BRADLEY Mr 1978-83 Next pub licensee had


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Kelly's 1862From the Kelly's Directory 1862

Kelly's 1874From the Kelly's Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Deal library 1914Deal Library List 1914

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Deal MercuryFrom the Deal Walmer & Sandwich Mercury


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-