DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

 

Notes of 1848

 

 

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 1 February 1848.

John Brenchley Esq., of Ambleside, Westmoreland, late of Maidstone, Kent, brewer, but who died at Paris on the 10th of November last, has left personal property alone, within the province of Canterbury, which has been estimated at 70,000. His will bears date in April, 1844, and was proved in London on the 19th of January, by the executors, namely, his three sons John Brenchley, Alexander Coare Brenchley, and the Rev. Julius Brenchley, B A., and his brother-in-law, Mr. Henry Kingsford. He leaves to his wife 5,000, and an annuity of 1,000, in addition to the settlement on marriage, and the capital mansion then lately erected by him at Ambleside, called Wanlass How, with the garden-ground and premises, and twenty acres of land, and all the furniture, plate, pictures, carriages, horses, and live and dead stock. His library of book, and the bookcases, the maps, and set of maps in mahogany cases, he gives to his son John. He leaves to his executors 16,000, in trust, during the joint lives of his daughter Laura and her husband, John R. S. Ramsbottom, and, on the decease of the survivor, then to their children; also leaves 3,750, upon trust during the life of his (testator’s) wife to pay the interest between his sons, John, Alexander, and Julius, equally, and upon her decease for the benefit of his daughter Laura. To his sister, Mrs. Davies, he leaves an annuity of 100, and 100, a year for the lives of his brother Charles and his wife. To his brother-in-law, Mr. Henry Kingsford, 500, for his trouble as an executor and in token of esteem. To some of his friends a ring each of the value of twenty guineas. (A guinea less would have saved 2, legacy duty on each). All the messuages, premises, lands, tenements, or shares in same and all other real estate, subject to life interest of the house at Ambleside, and all the residue of the personal estate he leaves to his three sons. John, Alexander, and Julius, equally; he had estimated his property connected with the brewery and public houses at 40,000; there are upwards of sixty public houses, taverns, and inns, and among others the "Bull," at Newhithe, and the "George Inn," at Sittingbourne, and the moiety of a malthouse at Maidstone — all this description of property he directs to be held by his sons, John and Alexander, in the division of the estate.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 11 July 1848.

Flint.—Suddenly, at Preston, near Faversham, in this county, Samues Taysum, son of Mr. R Flint, of Canterbury, brewer, aged 32 years.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 12 September 1848.

GENERAL LICENSING DAY.

Thursday being the annual licensing day of victuallers, in Canterbury, the magistrates were occupied some time in making the necessary preparations, and they granted licenses to a hundred and twenty-seven persons; four others being absent, will have theirs at a future sitting. There were eight fresh applications - two of them for restorations of the licenses to H. Gills of the "Dolphin," St. Radigund-street, and W Knott, "Plough," St. Peter's Lane, which were still withheld, and one by R. Pilcher Baggs, for a house No. 6, Castle-street, refused. The licenses taken from W. Cullen, "Queen’s Arms"; W. Hunt, "Three Grenadiers," Military-road; George Roberts, "Queen's Head," Northgate; and R. Walpole, "Roebuck," Northgate were restored; and the application made by J. B. Allen for a license of the "Golden Cross," Northgate was granted. Thus 136 licenses have been granted, with about 40 beer houses, present an aggregate of 176 drinking houses in the city. Previous to granting the licenses, the victuallers were assembled in the Hall, to hear the new Act read for the regulation of their houses on the Sunday.

 

 

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML