DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Canterbury, March, 2019.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 09 March, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1769+

(Name from)

Queen's Head

Latest 1970s

(Name to)

24 Watling Street / St Margaret's Street / Castle StreetPigot's Directory 1824

Canterbury

Queen's Head 1920

Above photo 1920, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Queen's Head 1938

Above hohoto, circa 1938, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Queen's Head 1965

Above photograph taken by Edward Wilmot in 1965.

Queen's Head beermatQueen's Head beermat

Above beermats kindly sent by C Johnson.

Canterbury O S Map 1874

Above map 1874 identified by Rory Kehoe.

Awaiting picture of Whitbread sign.

Above card issued March 1955. Sign series 4 number 32.

 

This is a 16th century building that originally held the name the "Three Tuns," but it changed name to the "Queen's Head" at some time in the 18th century and remained with that name till it reverted back to the "Three Tuns" again, I believe some time in the 1970s, certainly before 1999.

The pub was seriously damaged during the air raids of 1942 by fire and flying schrapnel.

By 1988 the pub had again reverted back to the name of the "Three Tuns."

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 20 April, 1861.

George Tomkinson, labourer, was charged with stealing a quantity of beef and suet, the property of James Field, butcher, Northgate. Mr. Field stated that, on Saturday he weighed up 371bs. of beef and suet and sent it to the “Queen’s Head Inn,” to be forwarded by a carrier to a customer of his at Chilham. He afterwards ascertained that the beef had been taken away. He identified the beef produced as a portion of that which he weighed up.

It was proved by other witnesses that on Saturday afternoon the prisoner took the beef to the “Steam Packet” public-house. North-lane, where he had been lodging, and where the prisoner was apprehended on Saturday night.

The prisoner, who pleaded not guilty, was committed for trial at the next Quarter Sessions.

There was a second charge against the prisoner of stealing a bullock's head and a quantity of meat, the property of James Gammon, from a cart in the “Sun Inn” yard on the same day. This case was very similar to the above, and the prisoner was also committed for trial upon the second charge.

 

From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 18 August, 1889. Price 1d.

SMART CAPTURE OF A HOTEL THIEF AT DOVER

A check has been given to the career of an evidently daring and expert hotel thief. He was arrested at Dover. A gentleman named Oakshot arrived at the “Queen's Head Hotel,” Canterbury, on Thursday week, and arranged to stay for the night. Mr. Oakshot left the house in the ordinary way on Friday morning to transact business. Leaving his Gladstone bag and contents in his bedroom. On his return at 3.30 he found that the bedroom had been entered and that the bag was missing. He gave information to the Police, and enquiries were made at the Railway stations. About four o'clock it was ascertained that a man carrying a Gladstone bag, answering the description of the one stolen, went to Mr. Anderson's, Watling Street, and gained admission. During the temporary absence of Mrs. Abderson he took a peg on the office door an overcoat belonging to Mr. Anderson. This he put on, and was in the act of putting his own overcoat on above it when Mrs. Anderson entered the office. As soon as the man saw her he feigned drunkenness and said he wanted a cab. A carriage was immediately procured. The cabman was ordered to drive to Bekesbourne station. On the journey the driver discovered that his fare was not drunk. On arriving at the station the cabman was paid 5s. and dismissed. When Mr. Anderson got home he heard from his wife of the man's behaviour. Thinking that he had been viewing the premises for some illicit purpose and that he might renew his visit that night, Mr. Anderson went to the L.C. and D.R. Station to make enquiries. He was informed by the officials at the Station that the Police had been enquiring about a black Gladstone bag stolen from the “Queen's head.” Mr. Anderson observing the similarity between the bag carried by the unwelcome visitor and the one described as stolen, communicated with the Police. Mr. Anderson and the cabman were interviewed by Superintendent Peacock. Subsequently the Superintendent and Inspector Farmery went to the L.C. and D. R. Station, and by the kindness of the officials, telegrams were sent to Bekesbourne and Dover. These enquiries resulted in the discovery that a man with a bag (answering the description of the missing one) left the train which reached the Priory station about 4.40. It was 8 p.m. when the enquiries were completed. At 9.16, the next available train, Superintendent Peacock despatched Inspector Farmery to Dover to complete the investigations. On arrival at Dover the Inspector, assisted by an officer of the Dover Police force made enquiries at several leading hotels. At 11.30 p.m. “Connaught House,” was visited. The manageress of the hotel informed the Inspector that a gentleman had arrived that evening and taken rooms for a fortnight. The terms arranged were 2 15s. a week. After hearing the description of the man the Inspector asked to be shown to the bedroom occupied by him. The manageress led the way and pointed out No. 14 on the third landing. The Inspector knocked and simultaneously opened the door. The man was then seen to be sitting in an easy chair with the stolen Gladstone bag before him. He was examining the contents. Inspector Farmery speedily introduced himself, and having had the contents of the bag re-packed, secured the man. He had him lodged in the Dover Police station for the night, and the following morning taken to Canterbury, when he was brought before the Magistrates of that city and remanded.

 

Pigot's of 1828 lists George Jarvis twice in their Directory. Both times at the "Queen's Head" but first addressed as Castle Street under the Inns and Hotels, and secondly addressed as St. Margaret's Street under Taverns and Public Houses.

 

LICENSEE LIST

JARVIS George 1824-28+ Pigot's Directory 1824Pigot's Directory 1828-29

JONES Julia 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

DUNCAN Robert 1838-47+ Stapletons GuidePigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847

RATCLIFF Isaac 1858-Jan/67+ Melville's 1858Post Office Directory 1862Whitstable Times

OVENDEN Robert Jan/1867-82+ (age 39 in 1871Census) Whitstable TimesPost Office Directory 1874Post Office Directory 1882Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

PILCHER George 1891-03+ Post Office Directory 1891Post Office Directory 1903

Last pub licensee had CONE Joseph to Aug/1927 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

LAWRENCE John (Jack) & Maude 1936-63

JOHNSON Joan & Fred ????

HOWES Geo & Kate early 1970s-mid 80s

http://www.pubshistory.com/QueensHead.shtml

 

Pigot's Directory 1824From the Pigot's Directory 1824

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Stapletons GuideStapleton's Guide 1838

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

CensusCensus

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

Whitstable TimesWhitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML