Sort file:- Dover, August, 2023.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 01 August, 2023.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1754

Lion Hotel

Latest 1914

4 Elizabeth Street (Square)

Queen Elizabeth Street Pigot's Directory 1840


Lion Hotel advert

Above advert date unknown kindly sent by Kathleen Hollingsbee.

Lion Hotel

Elvey's mineral works, formerly & Wesleyan Methodist chapel, and The Lion public house, in Elizabeth Street about 1912.

Elizabeth Street, facing the old harbour terminus of the London, Chatham & Dover Railway, with, in the centre The Lion public house (landlord J. Proud), offering Leney's Dover ales and "dinners and teas". Further along the road was the Shakespeare Inn. On the left is Elvey & Co's premises - ''Manufacturers of High Class Aerated Waters," one of three such mineral water works in the street.


From the Kentish Post or Canterbury News-Letter, January 12-16, 1754. Kindly sent from Alec Hasenson.

Sundry Anchors, &c. for sale at the Lion Coffee-House in Dover, 19th January 1754.

I am assuming that the Lion Coffee House was part of the above pub. Paul Skelton.


Dover Chronicles, 23 April, 1842.

Military Encounter.

William Megan and R. S. Dixon, officers belonging to the 9th Royal Lancers, were charged by John Gregory, a post boy at the "Lion Hotel," with an assault.

From the statement of the complainant it appeared that he was ordered up to the Infantry barracks on Wednesday night, to take up some gentlemen. Accordingly he went up there about half-past 11 o'clock and after waiting sometime, 6 officers got up in the fly, and directed him to drive to the "Fountain Hotel."

One of the officers took the whip and reins from his hand; but he drove at so furious a rate, that he (complainant) would not let him drive any further.

On arriving at the "Fountain," they directed him to drive to Castle Street, and to turn on the left as soon as he came to the "Castle Inn." This he did, and on arriving about half way Up the lane, the company alighted. Some of the parties went into a house, but the defendant's insisted upon his allowing them to turn the fly, which he refused to do. Some words then passed between them, and a scuffle ensued, in which one of the offices bit complainants little finger, and broke his whip. Then then went away, but when he was returning in Castle Street, the defendant Megan met him with a long pole, having an iron hook on the end of it, in his hand, and swore he would murder him.

On coming to the "Fountain" again, the officers wished him to take them back to the barracks, but he refused to do so unless escorted by a policeman.

The defendant's said that Gregory was tipsy at the time, and that he first commenced the assault. In questioning him also, he contradicted some parts of his former evidence; and as he admitted that he allowed one of the defendant's to to ride in the fly from Castle Street to the "Fountain," after the assault complained of had been committed, the Magistrates dismissed the case.


From the Kentish Gazette, 30 May 1843.


May 25, at the "Lion Inn," Dover, Edward Popkiss, son of Mr. W. Brockman, aged 16 months.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 3 May, 1845. Price 5d.


On Tuesday afternoon an inquest was held at the “Lion Inn,” before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, on the body of Michael Lawler, a boatman in the Coast Guard Service, who was unfortunately killed by the engine of the mail train, on Sunday night. The Jury being sworn, proceeded to view the body, which was lying at his residence; after which, the following evidence was adduced:-

Robert Bounding, one of the Coast Guard, deposed: I was on duty near the harbour on Sunday night; about 12 o'clock I was sent by Lieut. Pearson, on the viaduct, I search of deceased. On reaching near the end of the viaduct, towards Shakespeare tunnel, I saw the deceased lying outside the down rail, with part of his right foot cut off. I spoke to him, but he gave no answer. I first a pistol for assistance, when Alsopp came up, and in a short time an engine with a wagon came from the station, into which we put deceased, who was then conveyed to a public-house, and thence to his own residence. When we took him up he appeared to have been bleeding from the mouth and ears.

By the Coroner: The stations of the different men in the Coast-guard are varied every night, I don't know where deceased had been stationed during the week. The down line in Shakespeare tunnel has been closed some time for repair, but had lately been re-opened.

This evidence was corroborated by another of the Coast-guard, named Alsopp, who was on duty at the station end of the viaduct, and who further deposed: I was aware of the re-opening of the down line of rails through the tunnel, but do not know if deceased was so. No general orders were given us on the subject. I heard the whistle of the engine quite plain when it came out of the tunnel. Another train came down after we went on duty, which arrived at about 9 o'clock.

John Miller was next examined: I am a switchman, and attend to the rail points at the Dover terminus. On Sunday night last I was waiting in the switch-house for the arrival of the night mail train. The ticket collector, Wickham, was with me. About twenty minutes to 1 o'clock we distinctly heard the whistle of the engine on coming from the tunnel on to the viaduct. When the train arrived at the ticket platform I detached the engine. When I got on the engine the driver, Thomas Slater, said they had run over something on the viaduct, and asked me if there were any dogs there. I replied that the Coast-guard had dogs with them. He then said, “We have run over something, and we had better run up before we push the train in.” We then went with the engine, and I held my light to shine on the down rail. When we arrived at the spot I said “Why, it is a man!” Slater said, “You don't say so!” I examined him, and found that he was one of the Coast-guard; his right foot was on the rail, and he was lying on the left side, and his head and shoulders were completely covered by an oil-skin cloak. On opening the cloak I found he was not quite dead, and we returned to the station, and after pushing the train to the platform proceeded again to the spot with a wagon. We passed two of the Coast-guard, and sent them up. When we got deceased into the wagon we conveyed him to the “Seven Stars” public-house. The down like in Shakespeare tunnel has been closed since Christmas up to Tuesday last. This was known to the Company's servants, but I don't know if any official notice was given to the Coast-guard. The Coast-guard go on the viaduct through the terminus.

In reply to a Juror witness said the cloak of deceased was buttoned over his head and shoulders.

Lieut. Charles Pearson deposed: I command the Townshead Battery of the Coast-guard station. On Sunday evening the deceased was stationed on the viaduct. He was also stationed there on the night of the 23rd inst. I was not aware of the opening of the down line on the 23rd. My directions to the men on duty are always to keep clear of the rails. When deceased went on duty, at half-past 8 o'clock, he signed a receipt for his pay, and was perfectly sober. About 11 o'clock I went on the viaduct to visit the men. I found Alsopp, but could not find Lawler either on or under the viaduct. I returned to the station, and sent another man (Boulding) on the viaduct in look for him, while I went up Shakespeare cliff. On returning I met one of the Coast-guard, who informed me of the accident.

By a Juror: When deceased signed the receipt he was dressed and armed for duty. He has been on this station upwards of three years. There is sufficient room on either side of the rails for the men to walk.

Edward Sibbitt, surgeon, deposed: On Monday morning, at 1 o'clock, I was called to see deceased, and found him lying on a table at the “Seven Stars.” His left foot was much lacerated, and integuments and bones being entirely separated at the toes. On examining his head I found the face and hair saturated with blood, which I washed off with water, but found no wound on the scalp. The bleeding proceeded from the mouth and both ears. His breathing was very hard, and he was quite insensible. From the bleeding I have no doubt there was concussion of the brain, and most likely a fracture of the scalp. I directed him to be removed to his house, close by, on a stretcher. From the first I considered the case hopeless, but thought it better to send for the assistance of Mr. Coleman. Deceased lingered till about 7 o'clock, when he expired. When I first went to see him I tried his breath, but found no smell of liquor.

Thomas Slater, engine driver, deposed: On Sunday evening I came with the down mail train, and had the engine No. 86. When we left Folkestone we were about 2 minutes behind time, but did not go faster to make it up. I shut off steam when entering Shakespeare tunnel. I also blew the whistle o entering the tunnel, and again in the middle and at the end, and then when on the curve of the viaduct. When some little distance on the viaduct I saw something lying on the off side of the rail, which I supposed to be a coat. I did not feel the engine jump, or hear any cry. I mentioned the circumstance to the switchman. We went to the spot, and found that it was one of the Coast-guard. The fireman put the break on about 20 yards before coming out of the tunnel.

This evidence was fully corroborated by Fagg, the fireman, who accompanied the last witness in the engine.

Michael Shelley, guard of the mail train, deposed: On Sunday last I came with the down mail train. We were coming at our usual speed. The whistle was blown on leaving the tunnel, and again in about 20 yards. I saw nothing, but put down one of the breaks as usual to check the speed. I felt no jar, and heard no cry; not did I know anything of the accident till we arrived at the platform. The usual lights were on the train. The night was rather dark, and I don't think the driver could distinguish any object on the line at a distance of 30 yards.

This being the whole evidence, the Coroner said there could be no doubt that death was caused by the engine, which under the present law became forfeited to the crown, but might be commuted by a deodand. No blame whatever was attached to the driver of the engine, and the only suspicion of neglect appeared to be in not having sent an official notice of the opening of the down rails to the Coast-guard. The Jury, however, would take all the circumstances into consideration, and return their verdict accordingly.

Mr. Adcock, superintendent at the Dover station, said he was not aware that the Coast-guard walked on the viaduct, or he should have sent them notice of the alteration. He would, however, take care that in future it should be done.

Lieut. Pearson replied that before the opening of the railway a representation was made to the directors, that the duty of watching the coast could not effectively be performed without going on part of the line, when an order was sent that they might be allowed to do so.
The Jury, after a short consultation, returned a verdict of “Accidental Death, with a deodand of one shilling on the engine.”

The deceased, who bore and excellent character, has been many years in the service, and has unfortunately left five children and a widow, who expects very shortly to be confined. Some benevolent individuals have stared a subscription for her relief, contributions to which are received at the libraries, &c.

The funeral took place on Thursday, and was attended by the officers and men of the Townshend and Casemate stations, and by several persons employed at the railway station.


Kentish Gazette, 31 July 1849.

One day last week, an accident happened to a boy named Amos, of the "Lion" public-house. A person from the country arriving at the door with a pony, imprudently placed the child on it, when the animal starting off into a trot, the boy was thrown and broke his wrist.


Southeastern Gazette, 8 March 1853.

DOVER TO LET. The "Lion Inn," Queen Elizabeth Square, containing 8 bad-rooms, large club-room, well fitted up bar-parlour, tap-room, covered skittle ground, and large coal stores (let off); in a crowded neighbourhood, near to the railway station. To be taken by appraisement; immediate possession may be had, as the present occupier has taken a country business.

Apply to Messrs. Page, Brewers, Dover, or on the premises.


Kentish Gazette, 28 March 1854.

Fatal Accident. Coroner's Inquest.

Wednesday evening last a coroner's inquest was held at the "Lion Inn," Queen Elizabeth Square, Dover, to enquire into the circumstances connected with the death of Thomas Wettingstall, a lad aged 14 years, the son of a mariner, residing in Queen Elizabeth Square, who it was alleged had died in consequence of injuries he had received by falling down a trap hatch about a week previous. The accident in question had, it appeared, occurred on the evening of Monday week, the 13th inst., at the shop of Mr. J. Poole, confectioner, Snargate-street, on which occasion the unfortunate deceased was called into the shop by Mrs. Poole for the purpose of endeavouring to elicit the names of some other lads who had previously entered, one of whom had stolen a tart. The deceased, however, knew nothing of the boys alluded to; and was about to leave the shop, when, stopping back in order to allow a customer to approach the counter, he fell head long down a trap hatch which had been very incautiously left open by the servant of the house who was engaged in getting from the cellar some fuel. The poor boy, who fractured his skull and sustained certain injuries to his back by the fall, was conveyed home, where he was attended by Mr. Ellis, resident surgeon of the Dover Hospital. The skill of that gentleman, however, availed nothing; and in little more than a week the unfortunate boy expired.

Verdict, "Accidental death."



One side of the street vanished completely when the harbour station was built in 1860, but this hotel across the road was left facing that great edifice. The early address always read 'Square'. William Brockman in 1832, was followed by his wife. Belonging to Page it was on offer in 1874, together with the "Three Compasses", the "Sportsman", "Northampton Arms" and the "Spotted Cow". All in one lot. No doubt it would have passed to Satchell because it was on offer again in 1881 with his outlets.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 12 November, 1864.


Mrs Brown applied for the transfer of the license of the "Lion Inn," Elizabeth Street; but it appeared that on the previous morning Police-sergeant Barton had found a number of soldiers in her house drinking during the prohibited hours, the Magistrates declined to grant the application.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 29 January, 1869. Price 1d.


On Tuesday afternoon last the borough coroner, W. H. Payn, Esq., held an inquest on the body of a young woman named Ruth Cuddy, at the "Lion Inn," Elizabeth Street. Mr. William Brewster was chosen foreman of the jury; and after the jury had viewed the body the following evidence was taken:-

Charlotte Oliver said: I am a single woman, living at 3, Finnis Hill, Dover. The deceased was the occupier of the house, and I am a lodger in it. I have lived there about three months. I cannot say how long the deceased has lived there, but I believe five or six years. The deceased was the wife of William Cuddy, a soldier of the 1st Battalion 13th Foot, now abroad. During the time I have known the deceased she has been in a delicate state of health. She never kept her bed, but frequently complained of her health. She had a chest complaint. The deceased had no medical assistance. She died about half-past three this morning. On her going to bed on the previous night, about twelve o'clock, she bade me good night and said that should she wake first on the following morning she would call me. About half-past three this morning she came down to the door of my room and made a great noise in trying to open it. On her coming in she sat down on a chair and shortly afterwards fell from the chair on to the floor. She did not say anything when she fell. I did not get out of bed, thinking she had fainted, but told her to go up to bed. About seven o'clock, as she had not moved, I became frightened, and called another young woman, a lodger in the same house. She came, but on her seeing the deceased she ran down stairs. About eight o'clock I sent for a policeman. On the police arriving with a medical gentleman, they picked her up and placed her on the bed. She was then quite dead and cold. I was so frightened that I could not pick her up. I am not aware that she had any children. her age was twenty-four.

By the Jury: I saw her fall. She fell forward. I also saw her upion the ground after she had fallen. It was about seven o'clock when I got up. She was subject to fits.

James Johnstone, a police-sergeant of the borough, said: This morning about twenty minutes past eight, information was brought to the police-station that a woman had suddenly died at 3, Finnis Hill. Superintendent Coram directed me to obtain medical assistance and proceed to the house in question, in order to examine the body. Dr. Marshall attended. On going upstairs I saw the deceased lying on the floor in a bed-room. She was lying with her face sideways on her hands and knees. With the assistance of Dr. Marshall I placed her on the bed, and the doctor then pronounced her dead. I have known the deceased for the last six years. I knew she was in a bad state of health. The doctor at that time did not tell me the reason of her death.

Dr. John Marshall said: I am a surgeon residing and practising in Dover. By the request of the police I went this morning, about half-past eight, to No. 3, Finnis Hill, to see a woman who had died suddenly. I found her in a bed-room, lying between the chair and the bedstead, upon her hands and knees, the body inclined rather to the left. With the assistance of the police I placed her upon the bed. The body was quite cold and the limbs stiffened, showing that she had been dead for some hours. I found some old scars upon her right arm and a sore upon the left elbow. The body was in a very emaciated condition, as if she had suffered from some wasting disease, or from starvation. I cannot speak positively as to the cause of death, but think it probably that she had a disease of the lungs. There were no marks of violence upon her. I am inclined to think that she fainted and fell from the chair. I should say the deceased died shortly after she came into the room. It would be impossible for me to say that, if she had had assistance rendered her immediately on her falling, her life would have been saved.

The Jury returned a verdict of "Death from natural Causes."


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 1 July, 1870. Price 1d.


Thomas Roche, landlord of the "Lion Inn," Elizabeth Square, summoned for infringing the license, was fined 10s. and 9s. 6d. costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 20 September, 1872. Price 1d.


George Lewis, a private in the 1st Brigade Horse Artillery, was charged with desertion from his brigade, stationed at Shorncliffe.

Police-constable George Baker deposed to finding defendant at the “Lion Inn,” St. James's Street, on the previous evening, about half-past nine. He asked him for his pass, and as defendant could not produce one, he took him into custody as a deserter.

Superintendent Saunders said he believed the defendant's battery had that same morning left Shorncliffe for Woolwich.

Defendant said he was not a deserter, as he had a pass at Shorncliffe; but had come away without it.

The Magistrates apprehended that if this was really the case, defendant would get into no trouble; but he must for the present order him to be taken to the authorities at Shorncliffe.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 2 May, 1873.


John Mileham, the landlord of the “Lion Inn,” Elizabeth Street, appeared in answer to a summons charging him with permitting his house to become the resort of prostitutes.

Defendant asked that the case might be adjourned, as his solicitor was not present.

The Bench adjourned the hearing of the case till to-day.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 2 May, 1873.


John Mileham, the landlord of the “Lion” public-house, Elizabeth Street, appeared in answer to a summons adjourned from the previous Monday, charging him with permitting his house to become the resort of prostitutes, contrary to the provision of the Licensing Act.

Mr. Till represented Mr. Minter on the defendant's behalf.

Defendant pleaded “not guilty.”

Police-sergeant Thomas Stokes Barton deposed: On Tuesday, the 22nd of last month, at 8.25 p.m., accompanied by police-constable Baker, I visited the “Lion” public-house, in Elizabeth Street, kept by the defendant; and I there saw, in a public room, two prostitutes, named Brewer and Smith, with two soldiers of the 38th Regiment. I called the landlord's attention to the fact; and asked him if he knew the character of the girls. He answered “No,” and said he thought the soldiers and the girls I had seen together were related. I told him the girls were prostitutes; and he made no reply. I then inspected other parts of the house; and I found two other females with some other soldiers. There was another female at the back of the bar, in company with another soldier. I did not know her. I left the house; and re-visited it at 9.5. I then saw the same two girls in the front room, with the same soldiers. I told the landlord I should report the matter. I also found the same soldiers and same woman as I had previously seen in the rooms at the back of the bar.

Cross-examined by Mr. Till: I know two of the girls I saw at defendant's house were prostitutes from their general conduct in the streets.

Police-constable Baker corroborated; and further evidence as to the character of the women was given.

Mr. Till submitted in defence that the girls found in defendant's house were not known by the defendant to be prostitutes. He contended that something more than the bare words of a constable that a girl was a prostitute was required to warrant the landlord of a public-house in turning her out of the premises. The girls were not in the house a longer time than might be reasonably occupied in taking refreshment. He thought sufficient evidence had not been called to warrant the Bench in giving a decision that would blast defendant's character.

He called Fanny Hills, who said she was a barmaid in the employ of the defendant. She remembered being in the private room near the bar on the evening in question with Mr. Mileham. Mrs. Mileham remained there with her the entire evening. Witness saw two girls and two soldiers drinking together in the bar. A soldier who was a friend of witness's came into the room in which Mrs. Mileham and she were sitting together.

Edward Pegley, a lance-corporal in the band of the 38th Regiment, deposed that he was at the defendant's house on the evening of the 22nd ult., with a girl named Smith, whom he had known for some time. He had kept company with her for two months, and knew nothing against her character. Two constables came into the house on the evening in question and asked the landlord why he had such female characters in his house. Witness afterwards heard defendant ask the girl Smith if she was a prostitute, and she said she was not.

Philip Gees, a bandsman in the 38th Regiment, having two good-good conduct stripes, deposed to being at the “Lion” on the evening in question with a girl named Brewer, whom he believed to be a respectable girl.

James Mileham, the defendant, deposed that he had been the landlord of the “Lion” since the 20th of the previous November, and had tried all in his power to make the house a respectable one, so that he might obtain the custom of the inhabitants of the neighbourhood. He was not aware that there had been any previous complaints against the house during his tenancy. He remembered Sergeant Barton asking him on the evening in question if he knew what characters he was harbouring in his house; and he then went and told the girls that were in the bar-room with soldiers that if they could not give a good account for themselves they had better leave his house. The girls denied being prostitutes, and expressed their readiness to give up their names and addresses. Witness had never knowingly permitted prostitutes to be inn his house. Two servants from the restaurant of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway Company were drinking in another room of the house.

The Magistrates determined to convict, and inflicted the penalty of 37s. 6d., including costs, the conviction not to be endorsed on the license.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 March, 1874. Price 1d.


Important sale of an old-established and well-arranged BREWERY, together with 13 Freehold and Leasehold Public and Beer-houses, a Private Residence, Malt-house, Stabling, &c.

WORSFOLD, HAYWARD, & Co. Have received instructions from the Trusteee of the Estate of Mr. G. S. Page (in liquidation by arrangement, in connection with the Mortgagees, to Sell by Auction, at the “Royal Oak Hotel,” Dover, on Tuesday, 24th March, 1874, at three o'clock precisely, in one or right lots, the following important and Valuable Property.

LOT 8.

Five fully licensed Public-houses, all situate in the Borough of Dover, comprising the “Lion,” Elizabeth Street, the “Sportsman,” Charlton Green, the “Northampton Arms,” Northampton Street, the “Three Compasses,” Finnis' Hill, and the “Spotted Cow,” Durham Place. Also two good beer-houses, the “Plough,” Laurestone Place, and the “Hope and Anchor,” Blucher Row. These houses are held upon leases having from 12 to 20 years to run, and present at first-rate opportunity to any brewer wishing to open or extend a connection in Dover.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 3 September, 1875.


Edward Bell, an assistant at the "Lion Inn," was charged with assaulting Binaca Greenland. The prosecutrix said she went to the "Lion Inn" with her husband, when the defendant put his arm round her neck and kissed her. She told him not to do it again.

Defendant expressed his regret, saying he had been drinking.

He was fined half-a-crown, and costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 26 October, 1877. Price 1d.


Thomas George, private belonging to the 6th Regiment, was charged with stealing from a bedroom of the “Lion Inn,” Elizabeth Street, two shirts, two coats, and two pair of trousers, value 1, the property of Joseph Brown.

Prosecutor said he lived with his sister at the “Lion” public-house. There was room upstairs on the first-floor which was used by soldiers, and private rooms on the same floor, consisting of a bedroom and sitting-room. He saw the prisoner in the bar the previous evening about five o'clock. He did not see him up stairs. About twenty minutes to eleven, in consequence of what his sister said, complainant went upstairs and found the woodwork round the lock of the door had been cut about and the door opened. There was nothing missing from that room, but the three keys produced. On searching further he found that a bedroom on the same floor, as well as two rooms on the upper floor, were disarranged but he did not notice anything had been taken. After searching these rooms, he found the prisoner in a back room on the third floor lying asleep on a bed with his (complainant's) clothes on. The clothes had been taken from two trunks in another room where he found the prisoner's uniform on the ground. Having set a man to watch the prisoner, he sent for a piquet who came and took him to the station. The prisoner was ordered to take the clothes off and put on his uniform.

James Blanchfield, bombardier in the Royal Artillery, deposed to being in charge of a piquet in Limekilm Street and being requested by a military Policeman and the last witness to go to the “Lion” public-house. On going upstairs they found the prisoner lying on a bed in a room on the third floor. He had on regimental boots but was wearing plain clothes. Witness aroused him and asked him what he belonged to and he replied that he did not know. The prisoner's uniform was found in another room.

The character of the prisoner was described by his officer as indifferent.

The Bench sentenced him to three months' imprisonment with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 6 September, 1878


The annual sitting of the Dover Magistrates Licensing Committee took place on Monday at Dover, for the purpose of renewing public-house licenses, and hearing applications for new ones. The Licensing Committee consists of E. F. Astley, S. Finnis, R. Dickeson, T. E. Black, R. Rees, W. R. Mowll, and C. Stein, Esqrs. They were all present except Mr. Dickeson, who is in Cumberland.


Mr. Fox applied for a renewal of the licence to Joseph Henry Brown, the administrator of the late tenant, and produced certificates of applicant's discharge form the Merchant Service, all of which were invariably marked “very good.”

The Superintendent said the applicant had had the management of the house, the licence of which had been in his sister's name, and for two years the house had been the resort for young men varying from fifteen to twenty years of age. Music and dancing were carried on, and he had been complained to by the neighbours of the noise.

Mr. Fox said he had a letter from a neighbour living next door.

The Superintendent (interrupting) said that was one of the parties who complained. (Laughter.)

Mr. Fox said that since the applicant had had the whole charge of the house there had been no complaint, and the house had been well conducted.

The Magistrates, after some consultation, refused to renew the licence to the present tenant.

Mr. Fox asked if there would be liberty to apply on behalf of a new tenant.

The Bench said there would.

Mr. Fox then asked that the licence might be granted in the name of the owner, in order to keep the licence open.

The Bench consented.



In September 1881 the premises was sold along with another 10 public-houses to Mr. Barker, Loose, near Maidstone, for 610. (Click here.)  The town had possession of this one by 1914 and the licence was allowed to lapse.

For photo of Elizabeth Street click here.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 9 May, 1890.


Petitions have been filed in the Canterbury Bankruptcy Court by William Davis, the “Lion Inn,” Elizabeth Street, Dover licensed victualler; solicitor Mr. Ernest E. Pain, Dover. A receiving order has been made against John Augustus Rolls, of Sandwich, lately carrying on business as a brewer at Dover.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 30 May, 1890.


Mr. Resistrar Furley presided at the sitting of the Bankruptcy Court, held at Canterbury on Friday, and there was also present, the official Receiver (Mr. Worsfold Mowll).

Re William Davis, licensed victualler, Dover.

Mr. Payn, of Dover, appeared for the debtor, and the deficiency was stated to amount to 120. Under examination, the bankrupt stated that he formerly managed the “White Lion,” at Tenterden, for four and a half years. He then took the “Rose of Denmark,” Maidstone, and carried it on for four months, during which time he lost 60. He said the utmost profit he could obtain was 3s. per barrel. The Official Receiver observed that there was a great difference between the price to “tied” as distinct from “free” houses. On July 1st last bankrupt took a public house at Dover, and soon afterwards found he was insolvent. Allowed to pass.

Re John Augustus Rolls, brewer, Sandwich, formerly of Bulwark Hill Brewery, Dover. The official report of this case, showing a deficiency of 4,934, has already been published. Replying to the Official Receiver, bankrupt stated that when he came to Dover in 1887 he had a capital of 1,500, 1,400 of which came to him under his father's will, and 100 borrowed from his father-in-law (Mr. Ingoldsby). He took a three years' lease of the Bulwark Hill Brewery, at 150 a year rental. In September, 1887, he signed a contract to purchase the Sandwich business for 5,000, from Mr. Baxter, but the purchase was never completed. He then borrowed a further sum of 2,750 from his father-in-law and 1,360 from his brother, the whole of which he put into the Dover business. His idea was to get a mortgage on the Sandwich business of 4,000, but this he was unable to do, and therefore did not complete the purchase. He afterwards agreed to sell his interest to Mr. Levy (Woodhams and Levy, Rochester) for 1,000 on condition that he would continue to manage the brewery at a salary of 4 a week. He did that on the advice of his solicitor, Mr. Tadman, of London. He did not consider he was doing wrong in disposing of his business in that way. He thought it the best thing he could do. When his father-in-law refused to let him have any more money without security, he gave him the leases of three public-houses, and assigned the book debts to him. The examination was adjourned till the 6th June.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 27 February, 1891. Price 1d.


Mr. Spain applied on behalf of Mr. Wraith, for permission to draw at the “Lion,” in Elizabeth Street. Permission was granted some two months ago to Mr. Gutteridge, until the next transfer day. The brewers finding that he was not carrying the business on in a very satisfactory manner, he had to quit.

The Magistrates said that they could not give it to two people, Gutteridge having got till the next transfer day.

The Magistrates' Clerk said that he must wait till Friday week, and then apply.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 17 March, 1893.


Mr. Wraith, landlord of the "Lion Hotel," Elizabeth Street, was granted permission to serve at the Town Hall on the 16th inst., on the occasion of a sergeant's ball.


Dover Express. 1 September 1899.

Drink. Wandering from House to House.

James Proud, landlord of the "Lion Inn," Elizabeth Street, was summoned for selling intoxicating liquor to drunken persons, William Bishop and Thomas Hicks. These two men were also summoned for being drunk.

Mr. V. Knocker prosecuted, and Mr. Rutley Mowll, defended Proud, pleaded not guilty.

The Rev. G. Sarson, Vicar of Holy Trinity Church, said that on the 14th between 3 and 4 p.m., he was entering Trinity Vestry when he saw a woman trying to get two men up the steps leading from the "Harp" bar, and trying to get them to go home. One of them was decidedly the worst for drink, and could not walk properly. They went to Elizabeth Street. Outside the "Lion" the woman tried to prevent the man going in, and witness went to assist her in her efforts but before he got there they all went into the "Lion." He followed them in, and saw they had glasses of beer on the counter. He told the man in the bar he should report the case.

By Mr. Mowll. He felt certain the woman was trying to prevent they're entering the bar, and will be surprised to hear she afterwards drank whiskey in there.

Police Constable Pearce stated that on the 14th August, about 3:35, he was in Elizabeth Street, and Mr. Sarson called his attention to two men who were walking towards Hawkesbury Street with the woman behind. Both men with drunk, one, Hicks, being worse than the other. They required the whole of the payment to walk on.

By Mr. Mowll. Mr. Sarson told him the men had been served in the "Lion," but he did not go in and ask, as Mr. Sarson said he would take the case up, and he only wanted witness to see the condition of the men. He subsequently ascertained the men's names.

This was the case for the prosecutor.

Mr. Mowll submitted that no evidence have been given, that liquor was sold or consumed, as it was only described as standing on the counter.

Mr. Knocker said there was no necessity to prove more than it was served.

The Bench concurred in this view after retiring to consider the point.

Mr. Mowll then addressed the Bench for the defence, and suggested that the men's condition was not so serious as to induce the constable to take any steps at once.

Defendant, who gave evidence, said that when the two men and a woman came in he was at his books, and when he got to the front bar the woman was sitting down and the men were leaning against the counter, and they did not give him the impression of being drunk. He was serving them when Mr. Sarson came in and said "Don't serve those two men, this woman has been trying to get them home, and I'll report you," and away he went.

The Magistrates find Proud 1 including cost, without endorsing the licensed. They wanted to prevent this wandering about of drunken men from one house to another. The men were fined 5s. each including costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 11 November, 1910.


The death occurred on Thursday afternoon of last week of Mr. H. A. Branchett, for nearly seven years proprietor of the "Lion Hotel," opposite the Harbour Station. The deceased who was one time at Boughton, near Faversham, had been ill for the last two years with complications. He was taken worse about a week previous to his death, which happened rather suddenly, and was caused by heart failure. Mr. Branchett was a member o the Dover and District Licensed Victuallers' Protection Society, and for a considerable number of years was a member of the Royal Ancient Order of Buffaloes. A letter of sympathy from the former society was forwarded to the widow by Mr. J. Hyde (secretary).

The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon at St. Mary's Cemetery, the Rev. H. J. Daniell, of Holy Trinity, officiating. The mourners present were Mrs. E. Branchett (widow), Mr. H. Richardson (nephew and adopted son), Mr. Fred Branchett (brother), Mrs. E. Barham (sister), Messrs. J. Culver, George Howland, Fred Howland, W. Howland, and Clarke Howland (brothers-in-law), Mrs. F. Branchett (sister-in-law), Mr. James Barber (cousin), and Mrs. F. Howland and Mrs. W. Howland.

The inscription on the coffin was as follows: "Henry Albert Branchett, died November 3rd, 1910, aged 57 years." The following beautiful floral tributes were sent:- In ever loving memory and deepest sympathy, from his bereaved wife and loving nephew, Harry; in deepest sympathy, from his loving mother and brother George; in ever loving memory and deepest sympathy, from mother and sister, Fred and Emily; in ever loving memory of our dear brother, from Bill and Rose; with deepest sympathy, from his loving brother and sister, Fred and Lucy; with deepest sympathy, from sister Lucy and brother and family; with deepest sympathy, from a loving sister and brother, Jenny and Fred; with deepest sympathy, from his loving brother and sister, Clarke and Rose; in loving memory and deepest sympathy from his brothers, Walter, Percy, and Harry; with deepest respect, from his cousin, William, Alfred and Arthur Howland (Boughton, Faversham); with deepest sympathy, from Mr. and Mrs. Hayman; with deepest sympathy, from the Dover and District Licensed Victuallers' Protection Society; with deep regrets, from the young ladies of the staff of Lyons and Co. (Harbour Station); With deepest sympathy, from his bereaved nephew and niece, Hubert and Cassandra; with deep sympathy, from his brother-in-law, John Culver; in affectionate remembrance from Alice, Jim and Jack.





Last pub licensee had BROCKMAN William 1832-43+ Pigot's Directory 1840 (Futher info)


CHAPPLE George 1847 Bagshaw's Directory 1847

TAYLOR John Jan/1856-58+ Dover ExpressMelville's 1858 (formerly an excavator)

HAMBROOK Edward 1860-61+ (age 40 in 1861Census)

BROWN Mrs 1864

CULMER to Jan/1868 Dover Express

SHIPLEY Francis Jan/1868+ Dover Express

ROACH/ROCHE/REACH Thomas 1870-20/Nov/72 (age 37 in 1871Census) Dover Express

MILEHAM James 20/Nov/1872-74 Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1874

CHARLTON Arthur Henry 1875-May/76 Dover Express

BIRCH Joseph Charles May/1876+ Dover Express (of Dour Cottages)

BROWN Mrs Harriet 1876

GIBBS Thomas 1876

BROWN Hanry Joseph 1877-Sept/78 Dover Express

DANN Thomas 1878-82 (age 50 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1882

BARRICK Thomas J 1891 Post Office Directory 1891

GUTTERIDGE Dec/1889-Jan/1891

WRAITH Percy 1891-95 Pikes 1895

ENGLEMAN John 1899 Kelly's Directory 1899

PROUD James 1899-1900

GROSSMAN Meyer to July/1901 Post Office Directory 1903Dover Express

BUTT Sidney July/1901-03+ Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903 (Of Beckenham)

FLOWER E N to May/1904 Dover Express

BLANCHETT Mr Henry Albert May/1904-Nov/1910 dec'd Dover Express (Formerly a groom at Broughton near Faversham.)

BRANCHETT Mrs Eliza Sarah 1910-11+ (widow age 50 in 1911Census)

Last pub licensee had CARDEN Mrs Elizabeth 1913 end Next pub licensee had

TANNER Edwin Mark 1913

BRANCHETT Henry Albert 1913 (Post Office Directory 1913 Incorrectly listed)


Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-