Sort file:- Canterbury, April, 2022.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 13 April, 2022.


Earliest 1839-


Latest 1865-

(Name to)

Military Road



Traced to 1839, the premises was built in the early 1800s as a grave-diggers cottage and is set on the edge of a cemetery.

The name "Dragoon" appears to have gained royal approval by 1865 when it appeared in the directories as the "Royal Dragoon."

I have also seen this given the title of the "Bold Dragoon" in 1849.

A report in the Kentish Chronicle of 1861 reported this as being the "Flying Dragoon."


From the Kentish Gazette, 9 September 1845.


At the annual licensing on Thursday, the city magistrates renewed one hundred and nineteen licences.

Nine new applicants were granted us follows:— Thomas Attwood, "Old City of Canterbury," Oatenhill; Charles Denham, for the "Queen's Head," Northgate; Henry Clements, for the "Alto Douro," St. George’s-place; Eliz. Clinch. "Plasterers' Arms," Northgate; Joseph Harrison, "Royal George," Northgate; Joseph Hirst, "Dragoon," Military-road; Angel Hyde, "Military Tavern," King-street; George Lilley, "Waggoners' Arms," St. Dunstan; Henry James Page, "Windsor Castle," Bridge-street.


Kentish Gazette, 24 July 1849.

Mr. Vinser, landlord of the "Bold Dragoon" and Mrs. Baker, landlady of the "British Oak," were summoned to appear before our city magistrates, on Monday, to answer charges of nuisances arising on their premises, by gutter water running into the open street in the Military road. As there could be no disputing of the fact, the defendants were mulcted in nominal penalties with costs, on the understanding that the nuisances complained of should be remedied.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 9 March, 1861.


On Thursday evening on inquest was held at the “Flying Dragoon,” Military-road, on the body of Matthew Fitzgerald, a sergeant in the 3rd Dragoons Guards, who died very suddenly on the previous evening, aged 39.

David Hamilton, a sergeant in the 3rd Dragoon Guards, deposed to being in the mess-room on the previous evening with the deceased, about 10 o’clock, and was playing at dominoes, and just after the game had finished, deceased threw up his hands, fell from his seat, and immediately expired. Deceased had always been considered a sickly man. He instantly called the attention of the other sergeants, who fetched the surgeon of the depot.

The surgeon deposed that on going to the mess-room he found the deceased quite dead; and imagined from the marks of blood about the nose that probably decreed had died from the rupture of a blood-vessel near the heart. He had since made a post mortem examination of the body, and found that death had been the result of what he had at first imagined.

The jury immediately returned a verdict of “Natural death.” Deceased has left a wife and two children.



HURST Joseph Sept/1845-47+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847

VINCER Edward 1849-51+ (age 30 in 1851Census)


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-