DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Canterbury, June, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 17 June, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1847-

Windsor Castle

Latest 1866+

11 Lower Bridge Street (15 & 16)

Canterbury

Vicinity of Windsor Castle

Above image from Google, July 2009, shows from right to left number 9 and 10 Lower bridge Street. Then on the left of that the Magistrates Courts.

 

In 1869-70 the pub was part of a consortium who were advertising their goods of selling tea in response to grocers' selling beer and wine. (Click for further details.)

I have seen the "Windsor Castle" listed as number 11, and also as numbers 15 and 16 Lower Bridge Street. Whatever number it used to be the premises would have been where the Magistrates Courts are situated now, and it has been suggested that it was also in the shadows of the original Alfred Beer's brewery. Alfred being the brother of George Beer who owned the Star brewery right opposite.

 

Kentish Gazette 02 August 1859.

DEATH.

July 28, at the "Windsor Castle," Bridge-street, Canterbury, Sarah, widow of the late James Knowler, of the "Fox and Goose," Bapchild.

 

From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 19 October, 1866. Price 1d.

SUDDEN DEATH.

On Saturday evening, T. T. Delasaux. Esq., coroner, held an inquest at the "Windsor Castle," on the body of Mr. William Coles, who died suddenly the preceding evening. The deceased, who was well known to the farmers in East Kent, being clerk to Mr. Bushell, corn and hop factor, entered the "Windsor Castle" on the preceding evening, and while occupying a seat near the bar was seen to fall down. A medical gentleman was sent for, who pronounced life to be extinct. At the inquest it was proved that the deceased, who was about 60 years of age, died from disease of the heart. He was much respected.

 

Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 16 September 1871.

Annual Licensing Meeting.

Mr. Thurston applied, on behalf of Mrs. Susannah Page, who formerly kept the "Windsor Castle," where premises are in course of erection by Mr. George Beer, for a license to be granted to her, she intending to carry on business in another part of the town. The Deputy Clerk advised the Bench that they had no power to acquiesce in the application, and it was refused.

The Superintendent of Police reported to the Magistrates the following houses where prostitutes were kept, viz., the "Roebuck," "True Briton," "Lord Clyde," "Princess Royal," "Crown and Anchor," "Brewers' Delight," "Clarence Inn," and "Kentish Arms," and on the applicants applying they were each cautioned in severe terms by the Mayor, and on their promising to behave better in future the licences were renewed. The business was transacted rapidly. The adjourned sessions are fixed for the 21st instant.

 

LICENSEE LIST

PAGE Henry James 1847-58+ (age 32 in 1851Census) Bagshaw's Directory 1847Melville's 1858

PAGE Mrs Susannah 1861-Sept/71 Next pub licensee had (age 53 in 1871Census) Post Office Directory 1862Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

http://pubshistory.com/Windsorcastle.shtml

 

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML