Sort file:- Dover, March, 2024.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 26 March, 2024.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1847


Latest Apr 1962

(Name to)

Lord Warden Square

4 Beach Street in 1899 Post Office Directory 1882Kelly's Directory 1899Kelly's Directory 1950


Terminus Hotel

Partington's billposting of advertisements was a once colourful feature of this corner of the Pier District between Beach Street, to the left, and Seven Star Street. This Amos photograph, dating from about 1912, also shows the flank-wall advertising of the old "Terminus Hotel", in Beach Street. Just visible in the original photograph on the right is the "King's Head Hotel", in Clarence Place. Below, left The "Kent Arms Inn", between Oxenden Street and Limekiln Street offered T. Phillips' Company's pure Kent ales - "Only Kent hops used" says a sign over the door. Licensee was W. H. Baker. On the right is Limekiln Street. 1912

The east end of Beach Street, opposite the terminus of the South Eastern Railway, with the "Terminus Hotel" in the centre, offering Pale and Strong's ales, and, next door, the "Brussels Inn" (licensee C. G. Deverson), selling George Beer & Co's pale ales. Just off the picture to the left is "Sceptre Inn". Further on were the "Miners' Arms", "Deal Cutter Inn", and "Railway Bell" and, at the opposite end of the street the "Pier Inn" and "Lord Warden Hotel".


The original was just round the corner in Beach Street. Number four in fact and well established by 1847.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 21 June, 1845. Price 5d.


On Saturday evening last, an inquest was held at Newman's “Terminus Inn,” adjacent to the Railway Station, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the borough, to enquire into the circumstances attending the death of John Starling, a fisherman of Folkestone, nearly 60 years of age, who had died while being conveyed from Folkestone to Dover in one of the trains on the South Eastern Line. The Jury having been sworn, they proceeded to view the body, and on their return the following evidence was adduced:-

Henry Pain, labourer, of Buckland:- I was at Folkestone on Saturday last, and left the place about 11 o'clock in the morning, intending to return to Dover by the train which leaves the Folkestone station shortly after 11. I my road to the station, I saw the deceased, who was also walking thither. I thought I had plenty of time to reach the station before the arrival of the train; but observing its approach, and fearing that I should be too late, I commenced running. The deceased also ran, and we both reached the station in time. We took our tickets, (3rd class,) and entered the same carriage. When in the carriage the deceased made no complaint, and did not appear exhausted. While we were in the first tunnel (the Martello) the deceased drooped, as if sleeping, on which I rubbed his hands. He then fell on his knees, but was supported by another person in the carriage, who saw him fall, and I again rubbed his hands, and his wrists, but found no warmth, and perceived no beating of his pulse. On arriving at the Dover station I assisted in removing deceased from the carriage. He was then dead. No delay was experienced in his removal at the station, and he was taken into one of the waiting rooms, where every necessary attention was promptly given by the railway officials, and a medical gentleman instantly sent for. In coming to the Folkestone station the deceased might have run a greater distance than I did, as he was behind me: I ran but a few rods.

Mr. Coleman, jun., surgeon:- On Saturday last, at about 12 o'clock, I was called to attend deceased, and found him lying on the floor. Life was extinct at the time. I opened a vein in the arm, and obtained a small quantity of blood. From these limited premises I cannot state the cause of death, nor can I give a decisive opinion thereon. It might have resulted from an obstruction in one or more of the strictures carrying on circulation. I am led to this opinion from the suddenness of the deceased's death, and other circumstances; and also from his having been subject to a difficulty of breathing for the last two years, which information I received from his relatives. Death might have ensued from concussion to the brain, produced by the violent exercise on the part of the deceased previous to his reaching the station at Folkestone. I observed no marks of violence on the body, and consider the death as purely natural.

The evidence being concluded, the Coroner summed up, and the Jury, after a short consultation, returned a verdict of “Died by the visitation of God.”


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 22 January, 1848. Price 5d.


An inquest was held on Monday, at the "Terminus Inn", Beach Street, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, on the body of Elizabeth Russell Collins, a child aged eight years. The jury having been sworn, and a foreman appointed, then proceeded to view the body, and on their return to the inquest room the examination of witnesses was commenced, and which adduced the following evidence:-

John Cochraine, permit officer in the Excise, deposed: I reside at the Permit Office, 160, Snargate Street, Dover. In the early part of the present month - the day I forget - I heard violent screams. Being alarmed, I looked out at the window, thinking the noise proceeded from some one in the street; but seeing nothing there, I opened the office door, and looking along the passage I observed a great light in the kitchen. I instantly ran thither, and there saw a child, whom I knew not, with her clothes on fire. I snatched up a cloth which was lying on a chair, and, wrapping it around the child, extinguished the flames. Another child, about 12 years of age, sister of the deceased, and servant to Mrs. Whitty, a lodger of mine, was also present. The mouth, neck and arms of deceased were much burnt; the children were alone in the kitchen, Mrs. Whitty being away. I heard the screams about a quarter of an hour after entering the house, having just arrived from town. I told the child that was not burnt to go for its mother, which she did, and shortly after a woman came, and took deceased away.

Francis Collins, daughter of Richard Collins, mariner, of Dover, deposed: I am 13 years of age, and servant to Mrs. Whitty, who resides at the Permit Office. I have lived in her service about six months. On the 4th of January, my mistress being in London, I went home and fetched my little sister, the deceased, to keep me company. There being no fire in the kitchen, I lighted one. My sister, at the time of the accident, was warming her hands, and while turning to look at me her pinafore caught fire, upon which she screamed out violently. I tried to get the pinafore off, but could not; my sister then ran into the yard, and while there Mr. Cochrane came out, and with a mat extinguished the fire. Mr. Sankey and Mr. Lewis came in shortly after, and while they were attending to my sister's burns I ran for my mother, who returned with me, and a fly being procured, deceased was removed home in it.

Edward Sibbet, surgeon, deposed: On the 4th instant I was called to see deceased, and found her in bed, at her mother's house. On examining her, I found that both arms had been much burnt, from the shoulders to the wrists; and that the lower part of her, and front of her neck, has sustained similar injuries. The wounds had been dressed in a proper manner; and I continued in attendance upon her daily. On the 9th deceased was taken with relaxation of the bowels, attended with convulsions, and considerable discharge of blood. From that time she gradually sank until her death on the 12th instant. I do not attribute deceased's death immediately to the injuries she had received; but I am of opinion that the injuries did create such a constitution irritability, that death resulted therefrom, or as the consequence thereof.

Verdict:- That deceased, Elizabeth Russell Collins, died in consequence of injuries received by her clothes accidentally taking fire.


Kentish Gazette, 16 December 1851.


On Saturday last, an inquest was held by Matthew Kennett, Esq., deputy coroner for the Borough, at the "Terminus Inn," on view of the body of a gentleman who had hung himself. From the evidence of a relation it appeared the name of deceased was Henry Lepine, of London, a retired lace merchant, and that he had been in a desponding way for same time. Mr. Lepine came to the "Terminus Inn" on the previous Sunday, and had been seen by Mr. Sibbit, surgeon, several times, who was of opinion deceased was not of sound mind.

Verdict:— Temporary insanity.


Southeastern Gazette, 9 August 1853.


July 28, at the "Terminus Inn," Pier, Dover, the wife of Mr. Rogers, aged 42 years.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 10 June, 1854. Price 5d.


An inquest was held last evening, at half-past seven o'clock before George T. Thompson, Esquire. Coroner of the Borough, touching the death of Mr. William Rogers, landlord of the "Terminus Inn," who was found dead in the morning, lying on his face in the bar of the house. It appeared that he had not retired to rest.

Verdict - Accidental suffocation by a fall.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 20 February, 1858. Price 5d.


An enquiry took place on Tuesday evening, at seven o'clock, at the "Terminus Inn," Beach Street, Dover, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, on the body of John Miller, a switchman, in the employ of the South Eastern Railway Company, who unfortunately met with his death while in the discharge of his duty at the south end of the Archcliff Fort tunnel. The particulars of this deplorable event will appear in the following evidence - the jury, previously to their viewing the body, having chosen Mr. Richard Bromley as their foreman.

Edward How, a labourer in the employ of the South Eastern Railway Company at the Dover station, deposed: This morning, about half-past ten, shortly after the arrival of the first down train, I was with the deceased in the Archcliff tunnel. I was on my way to my work, to take some ashes out of the pan of my engine; and he was going to attend to the points, to reverse an engine from the up to the down line. While in the tunnel, I heard a whistle of the engine, and said to the deceased, "Look out Miller, they are coming." I then left him, and stood in one of the archways between the up and the down line. He was in the up tunnel. In about a moment the empty carriage passed me by. As they passed, I saw the deceased, as it appeared to me, rush by me. I waited till the carriages had got out, and then I entered the tunnel, and perceived Miller lying on the metal nearest to where I was standing. His head and shoulders lay across the metal. I went to him, when he once moved his head, and shortly after he expired. I then went for assistance, and the body was removed into the goods' station. The carriages were propelled through the tunnel at the rate of about four or five miles an hour. I don't think the deceased was attempting to get upon the carriages, to ride upon them, when the accident happened. I do not know how it happened. There was plenty of room for the deceased to have stood between the metal and the wall, and had he remained there he would have been safe. The wheels of the carriage appeared to have passed between his neck and shoulders. The age of the deceased was 39 years.

Thomas Black: I am an engine driver, in the employ of the South eastern Railway Company, and was propelling the train in question through Archcliff Fort tunnel. I sounded the whistle, and was the witness How, who was standing on the side I was looking. The train was moving at a very slow speed - about three miles an hour.

There was no other evidence to produce; and the jury recorded: That the deceased was killed by a train of railway carriages while in motion.

Mr. E. T. Way, the Superintendent of the Dover Station, who was present to watch the proceedings, said deceased had been in the employ of the South Eastern company for 17 or 18 years. He belonged to Norwood, and followed the line downwards as it was completed from station to station. He (Mr. Way) could only account for the accident on the supposition that Miller tripped on the metal, and was unable to recover himself. deceased was a sober man, and a well-conducted servant of the Company.

We understand that deceased has left a wife and young family of five children, towards whose relief a subscription has already been commenced at the Dover station, where Mr. Way would feel a pleasure in receiving any donation from those charitably disposed towards the bereaved under their painfully distressing circumstances.


South Eastern Gazette, 11 September, 1860.

Fatal Accident at the Admiralty Pier.

On Friday evening last an inquest was held at the "Terminus Inn," before the borough coroner, W. H. Payn, Esq., upon the body of William Maslin, a workman who had been employed at the Admiralty Pier. It appeared by the evidence that the deceased was labourer, about 46 years of age. On Thursday morning, about half-past 7, Maslin with two other workmen were working a "jenny" at the scar end of the pier, and had raised a block of concrete. Stephen Chapman had charge of the break, and on the order to lower being given he applied the break to check the too rapid revolution of the winch, but in consequence of the wet it would not hold or bite. On finding that it was getting the upper hand of him, Chapman called out to his companion, "Bill, get away," but supposed Maslin did not hear, as he did not move, and the handle of the jenny in turning round struck him apparently on the forehead just over the eyes. He immediately fell headlong under the railing surrounding the platform on which the winch is placed, and was not seen to move afterwards. In addition to the blow on the forehead sustained by the deceased his fall below the platform was a distance of 44 feet. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death," and added a recommendation that another rail should be placed round the platform for greater security.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 4 June, 1864.


Donald Grand and William Campbell, two Scotsmen, who wore the kilt and philibeg, were charged with being disorderly and with resisting a police-constable in the execution of his duty in Beach Street on the previous night.

Joyce said he was on duty in Beach Street on the previous evening, about 7 o'clock, when he saw the defendants and two or three other men fighting. A large mob had gathered round, and on witness succeeding in reaching the combatants, some of them ran away, but the two prisoners remained. He requested that they go away, but they declined, and he therefore endeavoured to take them into custody; but prisoners resisted so violently that witness was obliged to obtain the assistance of a picket to convey them to the station-house.

Edwin Cowin, landlord of the "Terminus Inn," said the prisoners were both in his house on the previous evening. They had two pots of beer for which they declined to pay. They created a great disturbance, and finally struck at witness's wife. He at length succeeded in getting prisoners outside of the house, where they began fighting with some other men.

Grant, in defence, said they had both come a great number of miles to see Willie's (his companion's) brother, who was in the 78th Highlanders. They had been into the "Terminus Inn" and had had a drop together. When they thought it time to go they left, but on getting outside the house they were stopped by someone and brutally assaulted. He admitted he had had too much to drink, but he submitted that that was excusable under the circumstances.

Mr. Finnis: But if you had gone away quietly the policeman would not have interfered with you.

Duncan: Yes, Sir; but the spirit would not let us. (A laugh.)

Mr. Finnis: Do you think the spirit will let you go away from here, if you are discharged now?

Duncan: Yes, Sir, and I thank you too. Good morning, Sir.



It enjoyed early opening from 1872. At first four and then three thirty a.m. from 1874. That would have been on weekdays only.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 5 July, 1872. Price 1d.

In the case of the "Terminus Inn," Beach Street, the bench granted a license to Mrs. Ainslie, the widow of the late landlord.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 24 January, 1873. Price 1d.

Mrs. Ainslie, summoned for keeping her house open at unlawful hours on the morning of the 17th, was fined 2 and costs.

William Ayers and James Cork, summoned for drinking in the same hours during illegal hours, were each fined 1s. and 10s. 6d. costs.

Arthur J Meadows and Charlie Macallum were also summoned for the same offence; but there being a doubt whether they were not bona fide lodgers, the Magistrates dismissed the summons.

David Jeffries was likewise summonsed for drinking in the same house during illegal hours; and as there was no question of lodgership in this case, the Bench fined him 20s. and 10s. 6d. costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 1 May, 1885. Price 1d.


Henry Clark, a tramp, was charged with being drunk, using obscene language, and refusing to quit the “Terminus” public-house, Beach Street.

The Bench fined prisoner 12s. and costs, 6s., or in default fourteen days' imprisonment. He went to prison.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 February, 1914. Price 1d.


The Chairman, calling Mr. Essex, the landlord of the “Terminus,” Beach Street, forward, said:- The Chief Constable to us has reported your behaviour to one of the Force. It is rather a bad report, and if you do not wish to jeopardise your licence in future you had better behave better than you appear to have done. What have you to say?

Mr. Essex: It is due to the way the Sergeant does his duty. He absolutely persecutes me every time he can.

The Chairman: I do not think that can be so. I do not suppose he would have been near your house if he had not had some private information. You must not do it again, or it will be a very serious matter. The licence will be renewed on this occasion.



With the street rebuilt about 1915 plans were approved for a new replacement.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 5 February, 1915.



Mr. Mowll said that he appeared to ask for the bench's approval of the plans of the "Terminus," Beach Street, which was to be rebuilt. Mr. Jennings was present. It was being rebuilt under the alterations in the Pier District, and the plans produced by Mr. Jennings had already been approved by the Corporation.

Mr. Jennings, explaining the plans to the Bench said that the building would be in Beach Street facing the bottom of the new Viaduct and it would be a circular building.

The Chief Constable said that he would like to make an objection to the plans. They would see by them that there was a shop at the back of the building, in one of the rooms of which there was a window which would open onto a yard of the new building. The window was quite unapproachable by the Police except through the licensed premises, and he strongly objected.

Mr. Jennings said that it was a lock-up shop and when the house was closed he thought the shop would be closed.

The Chief Constable said that it would probably be opened as a newspaper shop and would be open all day Sunday.

Mr. Jennings said that if there was any objection there would be no difficulty in extending the wall of the building across the yard so that the little piece of yard at the back of the shop would be entirely removed from the yard of the public house.

The Chairman: How high would the wall be?

Mr. Jennings: Just as high as the Superintendent desires it.

The Chief Constable: One that you cannot reach over very well.

It was decided that the wall should be 17 feet high.


King's Head Hotel

Above shows the "King's Head Hotel" September 1921. By kind permission of Dover Library ILL/1531. Also showing the new "Terminus" just to the left of the telegraph pole.

Terminus 1930s

Above photo, 1930s, kindly sent by Michael Mirams.


Gardner agreed to hand over the old premises when the town provided him with a suitable site to rebuild. As the "Terminus" the house was supplied by Gardiner's Ales, but later changed to Tomson and Wotton in 1934 and of course later to Fremlins and then Whitbread when they bought Fremlins out.


The evidence as it were being before our very eyes, we know that those things happened.


A different sign adorned it from April 1962 when it became "The Golden Arrow".



PRICE Henry 1847 Bagshaw's Directory 1847

NEWMAN 1845+ Dover Telegraph

ROGERS William 1851-53 dec'd

NEWMAN 1854+

Last pub licensee had PRITCHARDS Charles Jan/1856-62+ Dover ExpressMelville's 1858Post Office Directory 1862

COWAN Edward 1864+ Dover Express

AINSLIE George Robert 1870-July/72 dec'd (age 48 in 1871Census) Dover Express

HUSSEY 1872?

AINSLIE (widow) Mary Hobday July/1872-May/79 Post Office Directory 1874Dover Express

Last pub licensee had BAKER William Bishop May/1879-85 Next pub licensee had (age 33 in 1881Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1882

SMITH Charles 1885+

Last pub licensee had YOUNG George Charles 1891+ Next pub licensee had (age 57 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1891

CLARETT George Celeste 1895-1904 Next pub licensee had Post Office Directory 1903Pikes 1895Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

ESSEX Alfred William 1904-Oct/14 (age 43 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1913Dover Express

New building around 1915

PRITCHARD Albert E junior Oct/1914-24 end Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Pikes 1924

HOARE William G to Aug/1924 Dover Express

ROBERTS Harold John Aug/1924-Dec/32 Next pub licensee had Post Office Directory 1930Pikes 1932-33Dover Express

MARWELL Rosina Mrs Dec/1932-June/34 Dover Express

MACKENZIE Douglas Richard June/1934

Last pub licensee had BRANNAN Thomas 1935-59 Post Office Directory 1938Kelly's Directory 1950Kelly's Directory 1953Kelly's Directory 1956

PETTET Percy E 1959-Apr/62 Next pub licensee had


The Dover Express reported that on the application of the Chief Constable, it was decided to waive the usual ten days notice of transfer from Mr. A. W. Essex to Mr. Albert E. Pritchard, as Mr. Essex had re-enlisted in the Gloucestershire Regiment and had to go at once.


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

Dover TelegraphFrom the Dover Telegraph



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-