Sort file:- Dover, December, 2022.

Page Updated:- Friday, 16 December, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1791

(Name from)

Walmer Castle

Latest 1962

(Name to)

Market Place Pigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847

14 Market Square Pikes 1923Kelly's Directory 1950Kelly's Directory 1953

19 Market Square Kelly's Directory 1956


Three pubs 1900

Above photo circa 1900, showing the "Duchess of Kent" left and the "Prince Regent" right.

Walmer Castle 1920

Above postcard, circa 1920, kindly sent by Paul Wells.

Walmer castle 1930s

Above photo, circa 1930s, kindly sent by Graham Butterworth.

Walmer Castle

Above photo date circa 1950s?

Walmer Castle

 The Walmer Castle next door to Duchess of Kent circa 1960.

Tram No 3 in Canon Street

MEMENTOES of Dover Tramway: One of the first Dover trams, car No 3, with open top deck heads for Buckland from the Pier terminus near the Crosswall quay and is about to overtake a cart hauled by two horses standing outside the Metropole Restaurant which was opposite St Mary's Church. In the background can be seen the Duchess of Kent and Walmer Castle public houses standing side by side near the King Street corner of the Market Square. Behind the tram is believed to Waterloo House, the very distinctive shop of Hart & Co Incorporating a very useful public clock.

An outlet of Leney which passed to Fremlin and not always showing this number.


They were re-designated when Dolphin House was built in 1954.


The original traded in 1729 but it had been known previously as the "Dolphin" and the "Hare and Hounds". Enlarged also at some time, because a next door stable, afterwards used as a soup kitchen and a carpenter's shop, was incorporated with this establishment.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 25 January, 1845. Price 5d.

The gentlemen and respectable tradesmen who meet at the "Walmer Castle Inn," held their annual supper on Tuesday evening, when about fifty sat down to a repast, which for variety, excellence, and abundance, reflected great credit on the worthy young host, (Mr. Sympson,) and his sister. The stewards had not been idle in their vocation, and every arrangement for the evening's entertainment seemed to give the greatest satisfaction. In consequence of the unavoidable absence, from indisposition, of Mr. Vile, who has presided over these annual meetings for a long series of years, Mr. Russell was appointed chairman, and the remark is far removed from flattery when we say that the ability which he displayed, and the easy manner in which he went through the various duties of the chair have been rarely if ever excelled. The usual loyal toasts were received with the accustomed honours; and as the enlivening glass went round, toast, song, and sentiment afforded successfully an intellectual and harmonious treat. In the course of the evening the health of Mr. Vile was proposed by Mr. Kennett, and was drank with enthusiasm.


Dover Chronicles 6 June 1846.

Fatal Accident At Sea.

We regret to learn that Thomas Williams, a youth age 15, second son of Mr. Williams, of the "Walmer Castle" here, fell from the mast-head of the schooner Queen, in a gale of wind, on her passage to Leghorn, on the 21st of January last, and was unfortunately drowned. Such was a state of the tempest at the time, that it was found impossible to save the unfortunate youth. The above melancholy intelligent reached Dover only on Thursday last; and, we need not add, it has caused much distress among the family and friends of deceased.



The name changed from the "Hare and Hounds" to the "Walmer Castle" in 1791. It sold for 430 in 1809 and for 750 in 1851. The front was completely renewed in 1822. Bagshaw's directory of 1847 lists and "Eating-House" in Market Place and Joseph Robert Williams as the named tennent. This name also crops up from Barry Smith's notes at the "Walmer Castle" of exactly the same date, so I assume they are one and the same. Hence this pub was also referred to as an "Eating-House" in 1847 and John Ray's advertisement in 1861 informed the public that hot joints were served daily from twelve until two.


Kentish Gazette, 5 November 1850.


FREEHOLD PUBLIC HOUSE, in the Market Place; and LEASEHOLD HOUSES, near the Railway Terminus at the Pier.

FOR SALE BY AUCTION. AT the "Walmer Castle Inn," in the Market Place, DOVER, on MONDAY, the 11th day of November at two o'clock in the afternoon.

The valuable FREEHOLD INN called the "Walmer Castle," most eligible situate in the Market Place, DOVER, now and for many years in the occupation of Mr. J. K. Williams.

Three small LEASEHOLD HOUSES, in Middle Row, at the Pier, near to the Port and the Railway Termininus, DOVER, in the occupations of Thomas Herbert, John Heath, and Peter Joseph.

The tenants will show the premises; and further particulars may be known on application to Mr. Bass, Solicitor, Dover.


In 1863 the premises of the Walmer Castle were used to hold the inquest of the fire at the nearby Alhambra Music Hall. (Click for details).


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 27 August, 1859.


Ellen Hand, was charged with being drunk, causing an obstruction, and using obscene language, and further with wilfully breaking four panes of glass at the "Walmer Castle Inn," Market Place.

Police-sergeant Back - Yesterday afternoon, between four and five o'clock, a gentleman came to the police station and informed me that a woman was drunk and breaking windows in the Market Place. I immediately proceeded to the spot, where I found the defendant, who was obstruction the footway in a state of drunkenness and in the act of breaking a pane of glass. I then took her to the station-house. Her language was obscene. There were four panes of glass broken.

The Bench fined defendant forty shillings; in default of paying which she was committed to the house of correction for one month.

The defendant was committed for drunkenness only a fortnight since, and consequently she had been released from prison but a few days.


Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 22 December 1860.

Caution to Carvers.

On Thursday noon, as Mrs. Ray the landlady of the "Walmer Castle" Tavern and dining rooms, Market Place, hurriedly took up the carving knife and fork, admitted the usual precaution of raising the guard upon the latter, and was cutting from one of the joints, the knife unfortunately slipped, and severely cut her thumb and two fingers, one of which is nearly severed. Great loss of blood ensued, but the wounds were speedily bandaged, and we trust only a temporary inconvenience will ensue.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 18 June, 1863.


George Roney, an artilleryman belonging to the 2nd Brigade, quartered at Dover Castle, was brought up by the police-constable Johnson, charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct, and with assaulting the policeman in the execution of his duty.

Johnson said he was on duty on Saturday night, near the "Walmer Castle Inn," when his assistance was asked by Mr. Ray, the landlord, for the removal of the prisoner from his house. The prisoner was drunk, and the proceedings caused a crowd to assemble. After he was got out, prisoner went back to the house for his stick and gloves, which he got without causing further disturbance, but as he was passing witness struck him on the side of the head with the stick, and witness then took him into custody.

The prisoner said he was sorry for having caused a disturbance, and for his assault on the policeman; but the truth was he went into the "Walmer Castle" to buy something to eat, and he was irritated at the landlord not allowing him to stand at the counter to eat what he had purchased.

Magistrate: But you were drunk, and the landlord was not bound to have a drunken man on his premises.

The prisoner said if he had not been under the influence of drink the occurrence would not have taken place.

Lieut Smithett, the lieutenant of the prisoner's battery, subsequently attended, and in reply to the magistrates said the prisoner, although he had formerly been of indifferent character had recently turned over a new leaf, and had behaved himself very well.

Prisoner said he would endeavour to keep a good character if the Magistrates would look over this offence; and the police superintendent having no desire to press the charge of assault, the Bench resolved to give the prisoner opportunity of prosecuting that course of reform which had now been unhappily broken, and dismissed him with an admonition.


Dover Express, Saturday, 22 August, 1863.

Coroner's inquest.

Last evening and inquest was held at the "Walmer Castle Inn," on the body of John Bartlett, a journeyman hatter, living in New Street, who had died on the previous night.

It appeared that the deceased, up to a fortnight since, was addicted to excessive drinking, and was the victim of gout and asthma and after hearing the evidence, the jury returned a verdict of "Death from natural causes."


From the Dover Express, Hythe News, and East Kent Intelligencer, Saturday, 29 October, 1864.


James Hoskins was charged with being drunk and disorderly and breaking a square of glass, value 2s., at the "Walmer Castle Inn," Market Square, and also with assaulting the landlord.

Defendant and a friend went into the "Walmer Castle Inn" on the previous morning, about eleven o'clock, and had something to drink. They were very noisy, and on their asking to be supplied with some more beer, the landlord refused to serve them. He requested both men to leave his house, and they did so, but the defendant, after getting outside, was very abusive, and endeavoured several times to force his way into the "Walmer Castle," and finally he struck the landlord and broke a square of glass in the doorway.

The Magistrates ordered defendant to pay 2s., the amount of damage, and a fine of 6s. and the cost. In all 13s.

The money was paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 14 May, 1869.


Henry Irons, a boatman, was charged with disorderly conduct in Market Street on the previous Saturday evening.

Police-sergeant Johnson said that Mrs. Ray of the "Walmer Castle," having sent to the police-station, complaining of the defendant being in a disorderly state in front of her house, he went to Market Square, and found the defendant very drunk and wanting to fight. Witness advised him to go home; but defendant refused , and persisted on entering the "Phoenix." He afterwards came out and commenced fighting. The constable then took him to the police-station.

On the urgent appeal of the defendant, the magistrates dismissed him; but told him that if he appeared before them again he would be punished.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, May, 1869.


John Cliff, a sailor, was charged with disorderly conduct in market Square, and also with assaulting Mrs. Ray, the landlady of the "Walmer Castle," but the prosecutrix not putting in her appearance, the case was dismissed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 11 February, 1870.


An inquest was held at the "Walmer Castle Inn," Market Square, on Saturday evening last before the borough coroner, W. H. Payn, Esq., and a jury, of which Mr. Thomas Beeching was chosen the foreman, on the body of a newly-born female infant, which had been picked up on the seashore in front of the Baths near the Marine Parade, the same morning. It is somewhat remarkable that the Coroner held a similar enquiry at the same hour and place on the previous Saturday, on the body of a newly-born child picked up within the railings of St. Mary's Churchyard.

Alfred Howland said he was a shipwright residing at 1, Paris Yard, Dover. He was walking along the shore about a quarter before eleven the same morning near to the bathing rooms, the water flowing at the time, when he saw the body of the infant lying face downwards on the beach. He picked it up, and carried it about twelve yards from the edge of the water in order to prevent it being washed away. He then went and told his fellow apprentice, who watched the body, while witness went to give information to the police at the station-house. Witness returned to the spot where he had left the body, in company with a policeman, who placed it in a piece of canvas, and removed it to the police-station. Witness did not notice any marks upon the child; but he noticed that it had black hair. The infant was not wrapped up in anything; but was quite bare. He believed it was a newly-born child.

It appeared that Police-constable Baker was the policeman who accompanied the last witness to the beach to remove the child and that Police-sergeant Stevens afterwards took it to the surgeon for examination.

Mr. James Robert Crawford said he was a member of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, and was practising in Dover in partnership with Mr. Walter. The same morning, about half-past twelve, the deceased child was brought up to his surgery by the police for post mortem examination, so that it might be ascertained whether it was born alive or not. Upon external examination, he discovered a large bruise on the forehead, and saw that the nose was disfigured. The lungs, he found, floated in water, proving that the child had been born alive. Decomposition was advanced. He believed the bruises on the forehead might have been caused by the child having fallen on any hard substance. Witness was not certain whether the blow was received before or after death. Necessary attention had not been rendered at birth of the child, and this of itself would have been sufficient to cause death.

By the foreman of the Jury: I should say that the body of the child had been in the water for about thirty hours.

By the Coroner: The blow on the head would have caused the death of the child.

By the Jury: The child is fully developed. Decomposition would ensue in thirty hours, and would take place all the more rapidly through exposure to the air and water.

The Jury retired for a short time, when they arrived at the conclusion that the child's death had been ensued through wilful neglect at its birth, and earnestly requested the police to make every exertion to bring the guilty party to justice.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 23 September, 1870. Price 1d.


John Smith, a middle-aged man who had been deprived of both his legs, but who with the aid of crutches moved about very nimbly on his stumps, and who was dressed in the garb of the British Tar, was charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct in the Market Place, and assaulting the police in the execution of duty.

Police-sergeant James Johnson said his attention was called to the prisoner about half-past six o'clock on the previous evening. He found him in the Market Place, in front of the "Walmer Castle Inn," where he had collected a large crowd, which obstructed the footpath. Witness saw that he was drunk; and he advised him to go home to his lodgings. He said he would, and was absent for about ten minutes; but at the expiration of that time he again returned and conducted himself in such a way as to cause a crown again to assemble. Witness again insisted on his going away; but he would only move off the footpath into the road, where he brandished one of his crutches, and set the police at defence. He still wished him to go away without bother, and was going towards him to try to persuade him to go, when he flourished his crutch, and brought it down on the lower part of his (witness's) legs with considerable violence. Police-constable Mick came up at the same time, and prisoner struck him with his crutch also. Witness then took him to the police-station, where his conduct was very violent.

The man had nothing to say in answer to the charge; and the Magistrates sent him to gaol for a month, with hard labour.


Dover Express 02 October 1874.


Mr. Worsfold Mowll applied that permission to open at 5 a.m. might be granted to Stephen Castle of the "Friend-in-Need," Peter Street. There was a memorial from the men in the employ of Crundall, Chitty, and S. R. Elms, and moreover the house had formerly opened at five. Applicant had been in the house over five years, and had borne an irreproachable character. Under the section of the Act of Parliament the Bench had power to grant the application, if the house had formerly opened early, and if they thought it was necessary for the convenience of workmen and others.

Mr. Dickson said it must be shown that the house had always opened early previously to the passing of the Act.

Castle said it always had opened at five.

Mr Mowll, continuing, said the house was at the entrance to Mr. Crundall's workshops.

Mr. Jones:- Pardon me, it is a cottage in the middle of Peter-street, with an entrance in Colebran-street.

Mr. Dickeson said he understood Mr. Mowll had another similar application. It would be better for the Bench to decide on both at the same time.

Mr. Mowll said he had also to apply on behalf of Mrs. Whiting, of the "Walmer Castle," for permission to open at five a.m. for the convenience of market gardeners and other. The house next door the "Duchess of Kent," opened early now, and as that and the "Walmer Castle" were both in the same position and both had before the passing of the last Act, opened early, one had as much right to do so as the other.

Mr. Dickeson:- Did not the "Walmer Castle" apply on Licensing Day and got refused?

Mr. Stilwell:- The application was to upon at half-past three.

Mr. Mowll:- This is simply an application for an extra hour.

Mr. Dickeson:- You can't urge the necessity of the application if, as you say, the house next door opens early.

Mr. Mowll:- I would only point out this; that the two houses have, previously to the passing of the Act, both opened early, and that it was simply through the application not being, by an accident property urged on Licensing Day that the Bench did not grant it then. Both have kept open early before, and if you have granted a continuance of the privilege to one you must in justice grant it to the other. If the opening of this in the morning encouraged drinking or drinking habits I would not come before you to urge the application.

Mr. Jones:- I think the Bench have to study only the question of public convenience. If the house next door in open there in no necessity for your application.

Mr. Mowll:- Have they not also to consider what is right towards the person who holds the licence?

Mr. Dickeson:- Have you any application besides these two?

Mr. Mowll:- If the bench are against me I have not. I had thought that the Bench laid down the rule that where a house had formerly opened early they would renew permission. The question arose in the application for the "Mechanics' Arms." When adjourned to Broadstairs it was proved that the house had opened early previously, and the application was granted; and I am instructed that this house has always been open at five. As to there being two houses together some people might require a different sort of beer to that supplied at the "Duchess of Kent."

Mr. Jones said that if Mr. Mowll's principles were carried out all the houses in the town would open early.

Mr. Mowll:- You urge the matter farther than I urge it. I think the applicant has an equal right to the people next door.

Mr. Jones:- The question is whether it is necessary for the convenience of the people attending the market.

Mr. Mowll:- And whether justice is done to the applicant and the requirements of the public are met.

Mr. Stilwell:- The Bench might grant the same application for every house in the town.

Mr. Mowll:- No, there are only a few that opened early previously.

Mr. Dickeson:- We have carefully considered the matter of these two applications, and we come to the conclusion that you have failed to establish in our minds the necessity of opening these houses at an earlier hour than required by the Act. Therefore we decline to grant your application.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 4 February, 1876. 1d


Alfred Richards was charged with assaulting the landlord of the "Walmer Castle," breaking a window, and doing damage to the amount of 1.

The Bench fined prisoner in all 2 2s. which was paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 26 March, 1880. Price 1d.


A large and most enthusiastic meeting of the Town Ward electors was held in the club room at the “Walmer Castle Inn,” on Turesday evening at nine o'clock. The room was crowded, and many were unable to gain admittance. The chair was taken by Mr. J. Bradley, supported by the Liberal candidates, C. Clement Walker, Esq., and the Hon. Philip Stanhope, Messrs. Rowland Rees., C. K. Worsfold, T. Viney Brown, E. P. Robinson, T. Lewis, H. Hayward, H. M. Baker, Mr. Ethelbert, Mr. Evans, Messrs. J. Agate, J. Parton, T. H. Sutton, J. Struckett, W. J. Pettitt, E. Holder, J. Vidler, B. Coveney, &c………….


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 15 May, 1885. Price 1d.


Fred Richards was charged with being drunk, disorderly, and using obscene language in Adrian Street on Saturday night.

Police-constable Bass said: On Saturday night, about nine o'clock, I was on duty in the Market Square, and was called by the landlord of the “Walmer Castle” to a disturbance at his house. I saw defendant there, and told him to go away. He then went into Bench Street and made use of bad language. He afterwards went into Adrian Street into the “Northampton Arms.” I cautioned the landlord not to serve him. Defendant came out in the street again, and I took him into custody.

Fined 5s. and costs.



Four a.m. opening was allowed from 1875, (perhaps a year sooner), and it held a special distinction in 1914 when all licensed premises and clubs, with the exception of the "Walmer Castle", the "Duchess of Kent" and the buffets of the town and harbour stations had to close at nine p.m.

Walmer Castle

The old Duchess of Kent and Walmer Castle public houses in 1955 before they were merged to become the Elephant and Hind.

Information taken from John Bavington Jones' book "A Perambulation of the Town, Port and Fortress of Dover", 1906. (Reprint in The South Kent Gazette, July 4th, 1979.


Oddly enough, those same two pubs, which stood together, agreed to merge in 1962. The structural alterations necessary to make that possible, defeated the best of builders and virtual demolition and rebuilding of the whole ensued.


It reopened as the "Elephant and Hind" in October 1964 as an outlet of Fremlin and Mackeson. The name being an amalgamation of the signs or corporate identities of the two brewers respectively.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 8 November, 1889. Price 1d.


Last night a little before ten o'clock, there was an alarm of fire in the Market Place and it was found that the attics of the “Walmer Castle Inn” were on fire. The brigade was soon on the spot and a vast crowd collected. A hose was taken inside and another to the top by means of the fire escape. It was soon got under. Considerable damage was done.


Dover Express 18th May 1900.


Henry Hampton was charged with being drunk whist in charge of a horse in the Market Square.

Police Constable Spinner said that, on the previous afternoon about 3.15, he saw defendant come down Cannon Street riding on a big cart horse, which was going at full trot. He went through the Market and stopped outside the "Walmer Castle Hotel." He went into the house but, when witness got there, the defendant came out again. He had left the horse unattended. He was assisted on to the horse by a bystander. Seeing that the defendant was drunk, witness told him to get down off the horse and lead it. Defendant, instead, took hold of the reins and hit the horse with them across the shoulders. The horse trotted off into the centre of the Market Square where the defendant fell off, rolling under the horse. Witness then took him into custody.

A fine of 5s, including costs, was inflicted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 26 January, 1906. Price 1d.


Plans for alterations to the “Walmer Castle” so that a door might be made for the private portion of the house were approved and also for the construction of a club room at the “Beaconsfield Arms,” Adrian Street.


From the Dover Times, July-August 1913.


At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Mr. M. Pepper (in the chair) Capt. R. B. Cay, R.N., Messrs. Edward Chitty and G. C. Rubio.

Francis Allen Foord, aged 18, of Percival-terrace, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in the Market-square.

P.O. Husk said: On Saturday evening, about eight o’clock, I was on duty in the Market-square, and was called by the landlord of the "Walmer Castle" to prisoner, who was in his bar drunk. The landlord requested him to leave, but he refused, and a friend took him away. About 8.30 I was again called to the same house, and had to put prisoner out. At 9.15 I had to eject him again. As he went back to the "Walmer Castle" I arrested him.

Prisoner said he was a coal trimmer on board ship.

Capt. Cay: What is your age?

Prisoner: Eighteen year, sir.

Capt. Cay: You have started early.

Mr. Newman, landlord of the "Walmer Castle," said he was called to the saloon bar, where he saw prisoner with two or three others, playing with an automatic piano. He told them to leave, and as they refused he put them out. As Prisoner came back he called P.C. Husk's attention to them.

Prisoner's mother said her son was a good boy until a short time ago, when he became associated with bad companions.

Prisoner was fined 12s., with costs, or in default seven days.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 2 March, 1917.


The license of the “Walmer Castle,” Market Square, was transferred from Mr. J. Jolly to Mr. G. Wood (Messrs. A. Leney and Co's agent).


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 18 August, 1933. Price 1d.


Mr. Wood, of the "Walmer Castle," was granted an occasional licence from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. on 16th  August, at the Town Hall, for a dance organised by the Man of Kent and Kentish Men. he was also granted a licence for a marquee at the Dover Hospital Fete, in Pencester Gardens, on 23rd and 24th August.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 22 March, 1935. Price 1d.


The licence of the "Walmer Castle," Dover was granted as occasional licence to sell in the marquee at Knowlton, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the occasion of the West Street Point to Point Races, on Saturday, March 23rd.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 3 April, 1936.


The license of the "Walmer Castle," Dover, was granted an occasional licence to serve in a tent at Knowlton Park from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 9th, on the occasion of the Royal Marines' regimental point-to-point steeplechase meeting.




WILLIAMS Joseph Robert 1840-50+ Pigot's Directory 1840(Bagshaw's Directory 1847Eating house)Dover Telegraph

GEORGE William 1854-58+ Next pub licensee had (Melville's 1858Eating house)

RAY John 1860-July/67 dec'd (age 36 in 1861Census) Dover Express

RAY Jane Mrs July/1867+ Dover Express

PHIPPS John 1874

PHIPPS Mrs 1874 (Walmer Castle Hotel)

WHITING Mrs Ann 1874

HAMBROOK Duboyce Aug/1874-82+ (age 27 in 1881Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1882

OVENDEN William 1885+

Last pub licensee had WRIGHT William Henry 1885 Next pub licensee had

KILBY Alfred 1891 Post Office Directory 1891

ELPHINSTONE Alfred Next pub licensee had 1891-Sept/1904 (age 45 in 1901Census) Pikes 1895Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903Dover Express

Last pub licensee had NEWMAN Mr A T Sept/1904-Dec/13 Dover Express (Licensed Victualler of Folkestone)

Last pub licensee had JOLLY Henry Dec/1913-Feb/17 Dover Express

WOOD Mr G P Feb/1917 temporary transfer (manager for Leney & Co) Dover Express

LEWIS David 1917-22+ Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923

DAWSON R E 1924 Pikes 1924

WOOD George Henry 1925-30+ Post Office Directory 1930

Dover Licensed Victuallers' Manager Apr/1932+ Dover Express

EVANS F 1932+ Pikes 1932-33

WOOD Mr 1934+

HEMSLEY Raymond 1937-38+ Post Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39

Last pub licensee had HENDY Fred William 1941 Next pub licensee had

FULLAGAR A F 1948-53 Pikes 48-49Kelly's Directory 1950Kelly's Directory 1953

COPLEY Ernest Leo 1951?-59 Next pub licensee had Kelly's Directory 1956Dover Express


Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

Dover TelegraphFrom the Dover Telegraph


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-