DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Saturday, 24 November, 2018.

LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

 

Notes of 1864

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 16 July, 1864.

SHORT WEIGHTS AND MEASURES AND FALSE SCALES.

A number of cases of short weights and measures and defective scales were reported to the Court by Mr. Mount, inspector of weights and measures for the Home Division. After hearing the circumstances the magistrates convicted and imposed fines as follows:—

James Wanstall, landlord of the “Red Lion” public house, for two earthenware pots, used as pints, was fined £1 and 8s. costs.— (Unknown pub)

Simon Frend, landlord of the “Rose and Crown” beer house, for one earthenware pot, used as a quart, fined £1 and costs. (Unknown pub)

John Davies, grocer, of Bridge, was ordered to pay 5s. 6d costs for a weighing machine 1/4oz, against the buyers. In this case Mr. Davies explained that he had only got the weighing machine recently and that he had not had an opportunity to get it tested.

Daniel Cozens, landlord of the “Artichoke” public house, Chartham, for three measures used as pints, fined 2s. 6d. and 8s. costs.

Charlotte Port, grocer, Herne, for four iron weights less than an ounce deficient altogether, fined 5s. and 8s. costs.

Elizabeth Holness, landlady of the “Royal Oak” public house, Herne Bay, for three deficient measures, purporting to be pints, fined £1 and 8s. costs.

Elizabeth Keeler, grocer, Harbledown, for four deficient weights, was ordered to pay 5s. 6d. expenses, it being explained that the weights were not used in the business.

John Henderson, grocer, Harbledown, for a pair of scales incorrect against the buyer, fined 5s. and 8s. costs.

Zachariah Wellard, landlord of the “Hare and Hounds,” Blean, for two deficient measures purporting to be pints, fined 2 s. 6d. and costs.

Stephen Haliday, landlord of the “Wheat Sheaf,” Swalecliffe, for two measures purporting to be pints, fined 5s. and 11s. costs.

George Pout, beer-house keeper, Whitstable, for three measures purporting to be pints, fined 5s. and 8s. costs. (Unknown pub)

Richard Hurrell, landlord of the “Golden Lion,” Whitstable, for seven deficient measures, three purporting to be quarts and the others pints, fined £1 and 8s. costs.

Richard Edwards, beer-house keeper of Whitstable, for three measures purporting to be pints, fined 10s. and 8s. costs. (Unknown pub)

 

From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 3 September, 1864.

DOVER

TO CAPITALISTS, BREWERIES, WINE & SPIRITMERCHANTS, PUBLICANS, SHIPOWNERS, AND OTHERS

VALUABLE BREWERY.

In full Trade, established upwards of One Hundred Years.

26 PUBLIC HOUSES

Wharf, Seven Private Dwelling Houses, Extensive Wine and Spirit Vaults &c.,

Situate in the Borough of Dover, and in the parishes of Whitfield, St. Margaret's, Langdon, and Lydden.

MR. THOMAS ROBINSON in conjunction with Mr. HENRY HAYWARD.

Is favoured with the instructions to submit for Sale by Public Auction,

AT THE ROYAL OAK INN, DOVER, ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 8th, 1664.

At Twelve for One o'clock punctually, in several lots.

(Unless an offer is previously made for the whole,)

The undermentioned Valuable Freehold and Leasehold Properties, viz.

 

LOT 1:- The Freehold Pump-House, situate at Finnis's Hill.

 

LOT 2:- The well-known and well-established Freehold Inn, the "ROYAL OAK," situate in Cannon Street, together with the extensive outbuildings, coach-house, stables, corn market room, with the appurtenances belonging thereto, now in the occupation of Mr. Stephen Philpott.

There are popular advantages attached to this lot, it being the Office of Inland Revenue and also the Corn Market, which is held there every Saturday; and having besides an extensive patronage bestowed on it by Commercialists. The stabling and coach-house accommodation is very extensive.

 

LOT 3:- All that Freehold and eligibly-situate Public-house, known as the "FIVE ALLS," with the out-buildings thereto belonging, situate in Market Street, now in the occupation of Mrs. C. Hudson.

 

LOT 4:- All that long-established and well frequented Public-house, known as the "SARACEN'S HEAD," situate in Biggin Street, together with the extensive yard and stabling in the rear, now in the occupation of Mr. J. Taylor.

 

LOT 5:- A valuable Freehold Public-house, situate in Biggin Street, and known as the "LORD RAGLAND," now in the occupation of Widow Wilkins.

This well-known house of business, situate in the most commanding thoroughfare of Dover, and from its extensive area, it having a frontage in Queen's Gardens, is invaluable for any trade purposes requiring spacious premises.

 

LOT 6:- That well-known and old-established Inn, the "FLYING HORSE," situate in King Street, Market Place, Dover, with extensive and spacious stables, yards, lofts, &c., attached, now in the occupation of Mr. J. Birch.

This lot has recently undergone considerable alterations and improvements at a large outlay, and is now in full trade.

 

LOT 7:- The eligible Freehold Dwelling-house and Shop, known as the "ALBION LIBRARY," situate in King-street, Market-place, Dover, occupying a corner position, and adjoining the last lot, and no in tenure of Mr. J. Johnson.

 

LOT 8:- The old-established and well-known Freehold Public-house, the "DRUID'S HEAD," now occupied by Mr. J. Williams, in a commanding situation for trade, in Townwall-street, it being contiguous to the sea and to the fashionable lodging houses.

 

LOT 9:- That eligibly-situated Public-house known as the "WHITE HORSE," in a commanding position in a corner of the leading thoroughfare to Dover Castle, at the top of St. James's-street. and now in the occupation of Mr. J. Friend.

 

LOT 10:- All that valuable Freehold Public-house, known as the "CHERRY TREE," situate at Buckland, with the convenient stabling (having an extensive frontage on the road), ground, and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. Taylor.

 

LOT 11:- The newly erected Freehold Inn, known as the "TERMINUS INN," situate in Bench Street, immediately opposite the Terminus of the South-Eastern Railway, in an excellent situation for trade, and now in the occupation of Mr. E. Cowen.

 

LOT 12:- A Freehold Cottage in the rear of the last lot, and fronting Seven Stars Street, now used as a carpenter's shop.

 

LOT 13:- A Freehold Public-house, known as the "SEVEN STARS," in Seven-Stars-Street, in the occupation of Ann Holiman.

 

LOT 14:- A Freehold Public-house, the "SILVER LION," situate in Middle Row, in the occupation of Absalom Hicks.

 

LOT 15:- All that extensive and well-known Public-house the "ROYAL MORTAR," situate in the North Military Road, with a frontage in Bowling Green Lane, in the occupation of Mr. Archer.

 

LOT 16:- All that old-established Public-house, known as the "LORD NELSON," situate in St. James's Lane, in the occupation of Mr. S. Packham.

 

LOT 17:- A Freehold House adjoining the last lot in the occupation of Mr. W. Newcombe.

 

LOT 18:- The SPACIOUS BREWERY, wine and spirit vaults, store-house, counting-house, and premises on the Custom-house-quay, the extensive buildings of which continues to be carried on in the name of Jeken, Coleman, and Rutley.

This lot is held under a lease from the Hon. Warden and Assistant of Dover Harbour from the 6th of April, 1834, for a term of 61 years, at an apportioned annual ground rent of £18 2s. It will be at the option of the purchaser to take the stock, plant, and implements in trade, at a fair valuation

 

LOT 19:- The Leasehold private Dwelling-house adjoining the last lot, situate in Strond-street, opposite to the Station of London, Chatham, and Dover Railway, in the occupation of Mr. E. R. Mowll, held under the same lease, at an apportioned rent of £3 12s. 6d. per annum.

 

LOT 20:- That old-established leasehold Public-house, known as the "GREEN DRAGON," in the occupation of Mr. J. Harrington, and held under the same lease, at an apportioned annual ground rent of £2. 18s. 6d.

 

LOT 21:- All that valuable and well-situate Public-house, known as the "ROYAL MAIL," situate in Strond-street, opposite to the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway Station, in the occupation of Mr. R. Smith, and held under the same lease, at an apportioned annual ground rent of £5 2s. 6d.

 

LOT 22:- All that convenient and well-frequented WHARF, known as the Brew-house quay, now held by the Vendors under the same lease, at an apportioned annual ground rent of £6 10s. 6d.

NOTE- Lots 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22, will be first offered for sale, in one lot, but if not sold, in single lots, as numbered.

 

LOT 23:- All that desirable leasehold Public-house the "FOLKESTONE CUTTER," being well and advantageously situate in Great-street, close to the South-Eastern Railway Company's coal station and engine sheds, in the occupation of Mrs. F. Johnson, and held under a similar lease, at an annual ground rent, of £3 15s.

 

LOT 24:- That eligible and well situate leasehold, Public-house, known as the "GEORGE," in Snargate Street, and Strond Street, possessing three frontages, and commanding four thoroughfares to and from the two Railway Stations.

It is situate contiguous ton the Harbour, and between the mail packet yard and the extensive engine manufacturers of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway Company. This lot is held under a similar lease, at an annual ground rent of £6 2s. 6d., and now in the occupation of Mr. T. Curry.

 

Lot 25:- All that leasehold Public-house, known as the "BARLEY MOW," situate in Strond Street, in the occupation of Widow Herbert, held under a similar lease, at the annual apportioned ground rent of £4 13s.

 

LOT 26:- All that excellent leasehold Dwelling-house, being No. 84, Snargate Street, situate in the real of the last mentioned lot, in the occupation of Mr. J. Gooding.

This lot is held under a similar lease, at an annual apportioned ground rent of £1 2s.

 

LOT 27:- All that old-established leasehold Public-house, known as the "GOLDEN FLEECE," being well-situate for business, and possessing commanding frontages in Snargate Street and Commercial Quay. Held under a similar lease, at an annual ground rent of £6. 6s., in the occupation of Mr. Hambrook.

 

LOT 28:- That old established, extensive, and well-known Public-house, the "ROYAL STANDARD," situate in the London Road, Charlton, in tenure of Mr. J. Pierce.

This lot is held under lease from the Trustees of the Dover Alms House Charity, 38 years of which are unexpired, at an annual ground rent of £3 18s.

 

LOT 29:- An excellent and convenient Dwelling-house, No. 21, Council-house Street, in the occupation of Mr. J. Horton, held under a lease from the Hon. Warden and Assistants of Dover Harbour, 31 years of which are unexpired.

 

LOT 30:- All that excellent and eligible Leasehold Inn, situate on the Crosswall Dover, and now in tenure of Mr. Thomas Divers, and known as the "CROWN and ANCHOR."

This lot is held under a similar lease from the Harbour Commissioners, at an annual ground rent of £5. 2s. 6d.

 

LOT 31:- The Leasehold Stables in Strond Lane, now occupied by the firm of Jeken and Co., under a lease from the Harbour Commissioners, 10 years of which remain unexpired, at an annual ground rent of £1. 8s.

 

LOT 32:- All that valuable Freehold Public-house known as the "ROSE," situate at Whitfield, together with the excellent stabling, the tasteful and spacious nursery grounds, artistically laid out in ornamental style, with the tea gardens, embracing altogether about 3 acres of land in a superior state of cultivation, now in the occupation of J. Burbridge.

 

LOT 33:- All that old-established Freehold Public-house at St. Margaret's, known as the "RED LION," with the ground and appurtenances thereto belonging, and now in the occupation of Mr. E. B. Hills.

 

LOT 34:- Three Freehold Cottages, situate in St. Margaret's occupied respectfully by the Messrs. Finnis and Marsh.

 

LOT 35:- All that Freehold Public-house, known as the "FOUR BELLS," at Langdon, with large garden and appurtenances thereto belonging, and now in the occupation of Mrs. A. Youden.

 

LOT 36:- That most valuable Freehold road-side Public-house, known as the "BELL," at Lydden, situate on the Turnpike Road leading from Dover to Canterbury, with extensive stables and buildings, about 4 acres of good pasture land, and a large garden, now in the tenure of Mr. Gillman, who also carries on the business of a wheelwright and blacksmith.

 

All the property with the exception of lot No. 31, held under lease from the Hon. Warden and Commissioners of Dover Harbour, are for terms of 61 years lease, from the 6th of April, 1834. Lot 31 is held under a similar lease for a term of 61 years from the 6th April, 1813; and lot 28, held under a lease from the Trustees of the Dover Almshouse Charity, is for a term of 57 years from Michaelmas, 1845.

 

The whole of the Public-houses are of long standing and good repute, in efficient and substantial repair, have respectable tenants doing a lucrative trade, and are situate in the most commanding and prominent positions.

N.B. - The respective lots are open for Sale by Private Offer, and notice will be given  of any sales which may be effected before the day of Auction.

Full Particulars, with Plans and Conditions, may be had 8 days prior to the Sale, at the "Rose Hotel," Canterbury; the "Saracen's Head Inn," Ashford; the "Swan Inn," Hythe; the "Rose Inn," Folkestone; the "Black Horse," Deal; and the "Bell," Sandwich; or on application to the Auctioneers, 18, Bench Street and 42, Castle Street, Dover; to Rowland Rees, Architect and Surveyor, Dover; or to Messrs. Kingsford & Dorman, Solicitors, 23, Essex Street, Strand, London.

 

NOTICE

JEKEN & CO'S BREWERY ESTATE.

The public are respectfully informed that

Lots 3, FIVE ALLS,"

4, "SARACEN'S HEAD,"

5, "LORD RAGLAND,"

6, "FLYING HORSE,"

8, "DRUID'S HEAD,"

9, "WHITE HORSE,"

10, "CHERRY TREE,"

11, "TERMINUS INN,"

13, "SEVEN STARS,"

15, "ROYAL MORTAR,"

16, "LORD NELSON,"

17, Freehold house

23, "FOLKESTONE CUTTER,"

25, "BARLEY MOW,"

26, Dwelling house

27, "GOLDEN FLEECE,"

28, "ROYAL STANDARD,"

30, "CROWN and ANCHOR."

and 35, ARE disposed of by private contract.

Lot 7, the Library in King Street, was not sold.

Thomas Robinson, Auctioneer. 18, Bench Street, Dover.

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 14 May, 1864.

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE.

Last week a man named Graham, a chimney sweep, jumped into the river Stour, near Mr. Cannon’s mill, Canterbury. He had previously expressed his intention to drown himself, and he would doubtless, have accomplished his object had not one of Mr. Cannon’s sons jumped in after him. Other assistance was at hand and the intended suicide was rescued but not till he had been in the water some time. He was subsequently removed to the Workhouse, where he has since remained under the care of Mr. Callaway, surgeon. Graham had been drinking for a week continuously.

 

Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser 05 September 1864.

WHITSTABLE. NEW LICENCES.

On Saturday, at the St. Augustine's Petty Sessions, the magistrates granted licenses for the sale of spirits to the following applicants from Whitstable and Seasalter:-

Richard Hurrell, for a house opposite the entrance to the railway station.

John Hogbear, for the "Four Horseshoes" beerhouse, Seasalter.

Elizabeth Bell, of the "Fisherman's Arms" beerhouse, Whitstable.

The application of James Pearson Coleman, for a spirit license for the "Lower Hope" beerhouse was refused.

 

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML