Sort file:- Canterbury, December, 2019.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 24 December, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton & Rory Kehoe

Earliest 1801-

(Name from)

Rose and Crown


(Name to)

76 St. Dunstan's Street/18 Westgate Street


01227 786726

Rose and Crown 1942

Above photo 1942, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Rose and Crown 1942

Above photo, 1942, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Rose and Crown 1942

Above photo 1942, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Rose and Crown 1942

Above photo, 1942, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Rose and Crown date unknown                          Rose and Crown date unknown

Above photos, date unknown, taken from the Historic Canterbury web site.

Rose and Crown 1965

Above photograph taken by Edward Wilmot in 1965.

Rose and Crown 1983

Above photo, 1983, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Rose and Crown Rose and Crown signRose and Crown sign 1991

Above photos and sign left taken by Paul Skelton, 19 May 2012.

Rose and Crown sign right March 1991.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis

Rose and Crown beermat

Above beer-mat, date unknown.


This is another pub that has had a rather chequered past during the late 20th and early 21st century.

Said to have been built in the year 1689 and originally known as the the "Star" or "Starr" with an address of 77-79 St. Dunstan Street, the "Star" ceased to exist after 1860 but the "Rose and Crown" appeared in 1846. However, as the addresses suggest the two pubs amalgamated, the "Rose and Crown" may well be as old as the "Star."

The 1911 census stated that the premises had 6 rooms.

The "Rose and Crown," part of the building was listed Grade II on 3rd December 1949 and another part on 3rd May 1967. The building being 16th century with plastered front, restored in the 19th century.

Due to disorderly soldiers in the house and fighting outside after leaving the licensee was given a caution on 31st August 1914.

Around 1997 (perhaps 1995) it changed name to the "Tap and Spile" as Whitbread sold it to the Tap and Spile chain of public houses, which was one of the first pubco chains.

Later when Tap and Spile sold up (to Enterprise), it became the "Blind Dog at St. Dunstan's," after the song by local group Caravan.

Next the "Unity," the "Swan" of St. Dunstan's and eventually reverted to the "Rose and Crown" again.

The last name it had, after Enterprise sold the pub and Bob Griffiths (now at the "Phoenix") left in 2012, was the "CT2 Bar." I think the "Rose and Crown" was closed for about a year, so the "CT2 Bar" ran for about 18 months from 2013 to 2015. Since then, the building has been used as a Bed and Breakfast.


From the Kentish Chronicle and General Advertiser, 21 September, 1861. Price 1 1/2d.


The “Rose and Crown” public-house, Westgate Without, narrowly escaped being the scene of a serious fire on Saturday. It appeared that the attention of Mr. Gibbons, the landlord, was attracted by a smell of burning wood in the bar, in consequence of which he made a careful examination. He eventually discovered that the wall dividing his house and the adjoining one was very hot, and by further investigation he ascertained that some beam or timber in the wall was on fire, having probably been ignited by a flue running up the wall close by. Of course measures were promptly taken to prevent the extension of the devouring element, the discovery was a most timely one, as had the fire burst out in the night the consequences might have been of the most serious character.




OLIVER Cephus 1740+

QUEST Jeremiah 1801+ Edward Wilmot Canterbury

THOMAS John May 1838+ Stapletons Guide

WANSTALL Thomas 1846 Historic Canterbury web site

CROW George 1847+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847

KELTY George 1860

GIBBENS William C 1858-68+ Melville's 1858Post Office Directory 1862Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

CURRY Miss Suzannah 1874+ Post Office Directory 1874

POPKIN Joseph 1874-78+

STEADMAN Alfred 1881-99+ (age 42 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1882Historic Canterbury web sitePost Office Directory 1891

JARVIS Edward 1903-11+ Post Office Directory 1903 (age 49 in 1911Census)

SOLLY George Edward 1913-24+ Post Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1922

WOOD/HOOD Albert W 1927-34+ Post Office Directory 1930

UPTON Frederick J 1938+ Post Office Directory 1938

FOWLER Frederick 1939-45+

LAWRENCE James Charles 1949-52+

BARWICK Stanley Vincent & Al 1952-60+

WOOD Derek Charles 1967-75+

MULVEY Kevin & Wendy 1983-91+

GRIFFITHS Bob to 2012 Next pub licensee had


Stapletons GuideStapleton's Guide 1838

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874


Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Edward Wilmot CanterburyInns of Canterbury by Edward Wilmot, 1988

Historic Canterbury web siteHistoric Canterbury web site

Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Greens Canterbury Directory 1868


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-