DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Canterbury, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 23 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1824-

White Hart

Open 2019+

Worthgate Place

(Old Castle Yard 1824Pigot's Directory 1824) (Castle Row 1838Stapletons Guide)

Canterbury

01227 765091

https://www.whitehart-canterbury.co.uk/

https://www.whatpub.com/white-hart

White Hart 1954

Above photo 1954, showing the BBC filming, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

White Hart 1965

Above photograph taken by Edward Wilmot in 1965.

White Hart 2010

Above photo 2010 by David Anstiss Creative Commons Licence.

White Hart 2014

Photos taken in 16 January, 2014 from http://www.flickr.com by John Law.

White Hard sign 1991White Hart sign 2010

White Hart sign left July 1991. Sign right 2010.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com

White Hart cardWhite Hart card

Above aluminium card issued June 1951. Sign series 3 number 43.

White Hart match box

Above matchbox, circa 1985, kindly sent by Debi Birkin.

White Hart painting.

Above painting, 2017, by Jonathan Stewardson.

http://jonathanstewardson.com/

 

The name of this place used to be called the Chapel Churchyard, the Church being the long demolished church of St. Mary de Castro, and is shown on maps dating 1642, very close to where the pub now stands. I have also seen it addressed as Castle Street, Old Castle Yard and Castle Row.

Built on the ruins of St. Mary's Church on 4th March 1837, where their cellar was once a mortuary, and still has the body chute for sliding the coffins to the mortuary below, and it reputed to be haunted by the spirit of a small boy who was crushed to death by corpses during the English Civil War in its cellar and upper rooms.

The Inns of Canterbury by Edward Wilmot's,1988, mentions a document, date circa 1945 that gives the description of clientele at the pub as being "Artisans and labouring, some miners."

The premises was refurbished in 2011.

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 5 May, 1860.

CANTERBURY POLICE COURT. Friday.

(Before the Mayor and W. U. Trimnell, Esq.)

Henry Wales, a soldier belonging to the 64th Regt., was charged with stealing a watch, the properly of Joseph Harris, an excavator. The prosecutor was drinking at the "White Hart" on Sunday afternoon. The prisoner was there also. The prosecutor was not sober at the time; in fact, he was so much under the influence of liquor as not to know what he was about; but after leaving the public-house he missed his watch. A watch, which prosecutor identified as his property, was subsequently found in a water-closet at the barracks, and the prisoner was apprehended on suspicion. There was no evidence to show, however, that the watch had ever even been in the possession of the prisoner, who was consequently discharged.

 

From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 10 February 1900. Price 1d.

WOMAN BURNED TO DEATH AT CANTERBURY.

The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson.) held an inquest at the “White Hart,” Worthgate Place, Canterbury, on Monday evening, touching the death of Louise Holmes, aged 69, a married woman living with her husband at 7, Worthgate Place.

John Holmes, a warehouseman, identified the body as that of his wife. They had lived at 7, Worthgate Place for about thirty years. The deceased was a somewhat delicate woman, but had been more so for about eighteen months. She was in the habit of sitting by the fire in a certain chair in the evenings. Deceased always liked witness to go out for a walk after tea, and on Saturday evening at about 8.30 she asked him to go out. He did so, and when he was coming through the Dane John on his way home, about eleven o'clock, his young man came running up and informed him that his wife was on fire. Mr. Prentice got to the house soon after witness arrived. Deceased was being attended to, witness was not allowed it go into the room. Deceased asked “if her Johnnie was in” meaning witness, but was unable to state how the accident occurred. The deceased had complained of pains in her legs and back, and Dr. Sworn had attended her for about a fortnight or three weeks. When witness left the deceased at 8. 30 she was in her usual state of health. She was sitting in her usual chair and was fully dressed. It was a coal fire.

John Holmes, son of last witness, stated that be was a warehouseman in the employ of Messrs. F. Finn and Sons. He came home at eight o'clock on Saturday evening as be was not well. He sat by the fire till 9.30, when be went to bed. His mother was then sitting by the fire with a Mrs. Hollands. At about 10.30 or thereabouts he heard his mother screaming. Witness went into her bedroom as he thought she was very likely there, but as she was not he went downstairs. There be found the deceased with her head against the bars of the fire-place. She was unconscious and could not get away. The deceased dress was also ignited. Witness pulled his mother away from the fire and put her on the floor and tried to smother the flames with some clothes. He was, however, unsuccessful, and had to call in some neighbours before the flames were extinguished. He went for Mr. Prentice, who soon arrived at the house.

Emma Potts, wife of Harry Potts, living at Castle Row, and a neighbour of deceased, stated that at about eleven o'clock on the night in question she was coming through the churchyard when she heard someone say that a woman was on fire. She ran to the house and found the deceased on the floor. The deceased's clothes were cut away and she was carried into the front room. Witness waited till Mr. Prentice arrived and then stayed till a quarter to three on Sunday morning, when the deceased expired. Witness had known the deceased for about sixteen years.

Mr. Z. Prentice, surgeon, deposed that he was celled to see the decease at 11.30 on Saturday night. He found her lying on a sofa. She had been undressed and was wrapped in blankets. She was in great pain and was suffering from burns. She was burned about the head and neck, front and back of chest, face, both arms, especially the right, and the lower part of her body. Witness dressed the rounds. She was unable to make any statement as to how the accident occurred. The deceased passed away at about a quarter to three on Sunday morning. Death was caused by burns and subsequent shock.

The Coroner briefly summed up, and the jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.”

 

Dover Express 16th July 1948.

CLUE OF A WAGES SLIP.

Two Snowdown Colliery miners, James T. Parkinson (28), of 6 Old Park, Aylesham, and John C. Morris (38) of Zealand Road, Canterbury, at Canterbury Quarter Sessions on Saturday, pleaded guilty to being concerned together in breaking and entering the booking office at Canterbury East Station about 16th April and stealing a trunk containing clothing and an ATS girl’s kitbag and suitcase, also containing clothing etc., and 3s 10d from a platform ticket machine; and breaking and entering Cadbury’s depot at Canterbury East on May 15th and stealing chocolates and cocoa to the value of 10s 7d.

Both also admitted being concerned in breaking into the “White Hart”, Canterbury and stealing 4 5s from the till and breaking and entering 3 Worthgate Place, Canterbury, and stealing about 4 5s belonging to Arthur Shrubsole. Parkinson further admitted breaking into the “Dolphin”, Canterbury, and stealing money and breaking into "Aylesham Working Mens’ Club" and stealing bottles of spirits and cash to the total value of 39 14s 5d.

Mr. J. S. Daniel, prosecuting, said that it was due to the vigilance of PC Hutchings that a wages slip was found beneath the open window at Cadbury’s and all these cases were unearthed. The paper led to Morris and on to Parkinson and, in each of their homes, some of the stolen property was found. Morris admitted that he had “done the job” after he had had some beer.

The Recorder (Mr. Eric Neve KC) said it was a very commendable piece of work on the part of the constable.

DC Packman said Parkinson was before a juvenile court on four occasions for larceny and shopbreaking and had been sent to an approved school. He served in the Forces and in the Palestine Police and was discharged with a very good character. He had earned up to 11 weekly at the colliery and was married with three children. Morris had no previous convictions and had been at Snowdown since 1943, was an excellent worker and earned about 10 weekly. He had seven children.

The Probation Officer reported that Parkinson was a good worker and had been in no trouble since 1936. He had stated that he was off work and was short of funds. He did not seem to realise his serious position. Morris had looked after his children well, but was of the type easily swayed after a few drinks. He had had a really bad fright over that case.

The Recorder asked Parkinson if he could give any reason why he should not go to prison for twelve months, and the prisoner replied that, if he went to prison, his wife and children would be the obvious sufferers.

Morris attributed the offences to stoppages and strikes which did not enable him to provide for his wife and family.

He was told to watch his step. The Court would take the lenient course of binding him over for three years.

The Recorder told Parkinson that they were going to make him care. He should have been sent to prison for a long time, but he would be remanded on bail until October, when the course then taken would depend on the reports on him that the Court received.

 

From http://www.ghostpubs.com accessed 17 June 2015.

HAUNTED.

Although it now presents as a modern pub, the building has history over two centuries. It is on the ruins of St Mary's church and the small car park adjacent to the "White Hart" was at one time a graveyard. The tombstones from that period now line up against one wall of the "White Hart." The beer cellars of the pub were once employed as a temporary mortuary. There was a body chute from ground level. On another side of the "White Hart" is an old Roman burial ground. It comes as no surprise that it exhibits ghostly manifestations. These include the ghosts of yesteryear. Employees working here have heard moaning and odd black shapes, appearing as figures. Other witnesses have reported that the ghosts are men and women wearing Victorian style clothing of suits and dresses or grey shrouds.

 

LICENSEE LIST

WRIGHT John 1824+ Pigot's Directory 1824 (Old Castle Yard)

HARVEY George 1837-38+ Edward Wilmot CanterburyStapletons Guide

JENNINGS William 1847+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847

JORDAN John 1851-62 Edward Wilmot CanterburyMelville's 1858Post Office Directory 1862

JORDAN Ann (widow) 1862+ Edward Wilmot Canterbury

HOLMES J 1868+ Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

HOLMES Harriet 1881+ Census

WATTS Henry Stephen 1891+ Post Office Directory 1882

BURTON Charles 1901-03+ CensusPost Office Directory 1903

LEE Henry 1913+ Post Office Directory 1913

EMERY Frederick C 1922+ Post Office Directory 1922

EVANS William P 1930+ Post Office Directory 1930

NIGHTINGALE Arthur 1938+ Post Office Directory 1938

???? May & Bob 1985+

SHORT Mr & Mrs W K 1988+ Edward Wilmot Canterbury

BUTLER Mr Mat 2012+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/WhiteHart.shtml

 

Stapletons GuideStapleton's Guide 1838

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Edward Wilmot CanterburyInns of Canterbury by Edward Wilmot, 1988

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML